Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HorseRenoir posted:

Most of those areas are predominantly black. I wonder what's west Texas' excuse.

The reddest county is 74% Hispanic, might just be a loan word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

California: Loves the F-word, everything else "Meh!"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

HookShot posted:

Ah that makes sense, I didn't think even black people in America used the -a version as a swear word, so I figured it was just white people being awful racists.

Turns out that's just Texas.

They're not using it as a swear. The makers just cataloged all bad words, regardless of context.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I knew it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

They're not using it as a swear. The makers just cataloged all bad words, regardless of context.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Gatdang right man

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There's that ancient shoreline again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I like "cock" centered entirely around New Orleans.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

HookShot posted:

It's also a no gently caress zone!

I love how whenever the north has a giant blue patch North Dakota is just randomly like "eh nope we're anywhere from yellow to dark red"

edit:

:stare:

Huh, that exact pattern also holds for drat, bitch, pussy, and poo poo. Right down to the extra splotch in west Texas.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lord Hydronium posted:

Huh, that exact pattern also holds for drat, bitch, pussy, and poo poo. Right down to the extra splotch in west Texas.

That area in west Texas is so devoid of people that it could be one or two Houstonian transplants causing the whole thing.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Too big to embed without breaking tables but someone created the ultimate WMATA fantasy map for April Fools

http://imgur.com/X4vh7AY

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Byzantine posted:

There's that ancient shoreline again.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
http://www.mytravelmap.tk/?1

Extremely anglocentric, no split into states/oblasts/whatever for Russia or Chine despite them being as large as they are. British Malvinas/Falklands. And probably some other stuff I have no idea about.

edit: Mercator projection, extremely huge Greenland.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Too big to embed without breaking tables but someone created the ultimate WMATA fantasy map for April Fools

Does any city have public transit this good? I guess WMATA would still run it so "good" is relative, but still!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The South will sink again. :heritage:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

no split into states/oblasts/whatever for Russia or Chine despite them being as large as they are.

Why is it that only the US, Canada, and Australia have their sub national divisions shown usually? At first I thought it was because they're federal governments, but then realized that atleast India should also be shown. Is it because the individual states/provinces were formerly independent colonies/states?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Communist Zombie posted:

Why is it that only the US, Canada, and Australia have their sub national divisions shown usually? At first I thought it was because they're federal governments, but then realized that atleast India should also be shown. Is it because the individual states/provinces were formerly independent colonies/states?

I think it's because the borders have both been very static for a while, and are easy to get in english speaking sources.

And they're generally not very complicated to draw either.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

OMG, it's like looking into a alternate timeline that doesn't suck.
I bet they've got hoverboards and world peace, too.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Does any city have public transit this good? I guess WMATA would still run it so "good" is relative, but still!

Reminds me of Seoul's metro system. Would probably cover about the same geographic area, too.
Shanghai's is pretty good, but more dense than Seoul.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Nemo posted:

Extremely anglocentric, no split into states/oblasts/whatever for Russia or Chine despite them being as large as they are. British Malvinas/Falklands. And probably some other stuff I have no idea about.

Looks like I've been to 10% of the world. Although 7% of that is because I visited China.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Communist Zombie posted:

white people

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Debate & Discussion > politically-loaded maps: white people

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The London Underground has much less service for much less people than the NYC system though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Communist Zombie posted:

They have subdivisions the size of normal countries. And their international borders are super simple, so its hard to get it confused.

Russian oblasts would make the Caucuses super confusing. China... uhhh, people that don't know about it might get wierded out? It is basically "white people" though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Russians are white though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Byzantine posted:

Russians are white though.
Actually, they're part of the Asiatic menace.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fishmech posted:

The London Underground has much less service for much less people than the NYC system though.

Not really, looks like annual ridership on the London Underground is about 1.3 billion whereas annual ridership on the NYC subway is around 1.75 billion. There's a difference but not an overwhelming one.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Nemo posted:

Got a little over 10%. Not too shabby.

Also Western Sahara is very politically loaded on this map

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I figured someone here might know: why is the Liechtenstein border with Austria done in the politically loaded dotted line rather than a solid one?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HookShot posted:

I figured someone here might know: why is the Liechtenstein border with Austria done in the politically loaded dotted line rather than a solid one?

The borderlands between Liechtenstein and Austria contain an extremely lifeless sand desert microbiome known as "Europe's Empty Quarter". Its only inhabitants are tiny bands of nomads who rob trading caravans for elaborate pastries and ridiculous cups of coffee.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HookShot posted:

Liechtenstein isn't so much a country as a feudal tax paradise. Everyone knows this but nobody cares to admit it because of money.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Communist Zombie posted:

That's the political loaded part of it. Which, as usual, boils down to "white people". And if we are comparing scores, i got like 25, mostly thanks to the Russia, Argentina and Brasil trifecta.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Mr. Nemo posted:

That's the political loaded part of it. Which, as usual, boils down to "white people".

WASPs to be precise, european federal countries don't get state borders either.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

Because English-language maps were usually created by English speakers for other English speakers. It's normal that they would take their own political specificities into account.

The real question is, why do we allow the UK to have four 'national' football teams, other than perhaps to make them less of a threat

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Phlegmish posted:

The real question is, why do we allow the UK to have four 'national' football teams, other than perhaps to make them less of a threat

Because we invented the game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cebrail posted:

WASPs to be precise, european federal countries don't get state borders either.

The average goon gets withdrawal symptoms if he doesn't smirkingly type 'white people' at least once a day, even when it makes no sense.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Psh, white people, amirite? :rolleye:

Phlegmish posted:

Because the UK is spectacularly bad at the whole 'being a country' thing.

Relevant:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You wouldn't expect kings to be so egotistical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Also: Denmark too. Why, Denmark? Aren't you proud of making LEGO? :(