Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Gyges posted:

I'll need at least 20 articles about how GRIMDARK it is before I feel safe to see it opening day. At least 4 of them need to comment on how this is Not My Waller.

It's a given that all articles will talk about how much Joker sucks because it isn't Ledger Joker.

And there would be almost no article pointing out how diverse (in regards to race and gender) it is compared to your typical MCU movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They should've really gotten Oprah to play Waller.

(Viola Davis is more than fine)

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

computer parts posted:

It will be better received if the tone is at all like the trailers.

Either that or critics will mark it low because it "doesn't match the tone of BvS" (which they marked low because they didn't like the tone)

People are perfectly within their rights not to like the darker tone of the Snyder DC movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

People are perfectly within their rights not to like the darker tone of the Snyder DC movies.

Right, which is why I said they'd probably like Suicide Squad more.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yaws posted:

There's a quote somewhere in this thread that the darkly humorous tone of Suicide Squad will clash with the super-serious tone that all DC movies have, which would essentially mean that Suicide Squad's tone would clash with its tone. While tone is a legit criticism, there are also plenty of people who do not know what it means.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ben Affleck may not have done rewrites for BvS, but he did write an entire Batman movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-has-written-his-879355

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The MSJ posted:

Ben Affleck may not have done rewrites for BvS, but he did write an entire Batman movie.

If Gone Baby Gone and the Town are any indicator, this will put the "Detective" in Detective Comics. And it might get good reviews from critics, too!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CaptainYesterday posted:

If Gone Baby Gone and the Town are any indicator, this will put the "Detective" in Detective Comics. And it might get good reviews from critics, too!

Critics are still a superstitious and cowardly lot, so probably not.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gyges posted:

I'll need at least 20 articles about how GRIMDARK it is before I feel safe to see it opening day. At least 4 of them need to comment on how this is Not My Waller.

It's a given that all articles will talk about how much Joker sucks because it isn't Ledger Joker.
will it be as GRIMDARK as FAMOUS DISASTER Fantastic Four which featured (Spoilers here because you really should give Josh Trank money to see this half-film, his career died for your comic book sins) BEN GRIMM BEING ABUSED, AS CHILD. AS IN, CHILD ABUUUUUUUUUSE, MAN..

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

I've been firmly on the side of White Trash Joker since I saw that first publicity shot. The only thing I'm worried about is that they're going to play it too seriously. It's almost a parody of the idea of the Joker and should be treated as such.

e: also, not to turn this into my comic reading blog, but... Spawn actually gets sort of not-terrible after issue 120 or so, although that might just be Stockholm syndrome setting in. It's like McFarlane went and said, okay, we've been faffing about for ten years, how about we start actually plotting some of this stuff and cutting some of the fat from the setting, cast and dialogue. It's not amazing but it suddenly became at least servicable.

I'm bracing myself for the other shoe to drop, though. This can't be made to last.

e2: no fat was cut from the art.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 31, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The CGI is a huge black mark, but other than that it's a really fun movie that gets way too bad of a rap. And, as mentioned, the soundtrack is :krad:.

(Seriously, the practical effects for Spawn himself are actually fantastic. They really should have just stuck to practical all through instead of doing that horrible CGI.)

the only cgi that was really that bad was malbogia and hell, the :krad: cgi cape was great in it's otherworldly nature

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
theyre spending so much time and money building up this civil war poo poo then it looks like a bunch of cosplayers having a fist fight in a parking lot lol

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Unlucky posted:

theyre spending so much time and money building up this civil war poo poo then it looks like a bunch of cosplayers having a fist fight in a parking lot lol

If the climactic fight of Civil War actually takes place on a loving airport tarmac and begins with the two sides running at each other like the X-Men animated show opening credits, I'm going to be non-stop laughing my rear end off in the theater until an usher asks me to leave.

Double bonus points if there's a news report about how it's a good thing that it's the least busy day of the year for this airport which is basically abandoned anyway or something like that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The CGI is a huge black mark, but other than that it's a really fun movie that gets way too bad of a rap. And, as mentioned, the soundtrack is :krad:.

(Seriously, the practical effects for Spawn himself are actually fantastic. They really should have just stuck to practical all through instead of doing that horrible CGI.)

Agreed on the practical effects, but other than that I thought the movie was an unwatchable mess. It's like one of the cheap Captain America movies but with a higher budget, if that makes sense. Martin Sheen and John Leguizamo are both having a ball but Michael Jay White is utterly wasted and I'm pretty sure the movie actively killed Nicol Williamson, or put him in a coma or something because it's his last movie. And since I love Excalibur, I can never forgive the Spawn movie for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

I think I'm more excited about this than any officially announced DC or Marvel film.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

If the climactic fight of Civil War actually takes place on a loving airport tarmac and begins with the two sides running at each other like the X-Men animated show opening credits, I'm going to be non-stop laughing my rear end off in the theater until an usher asks me to leave.

Double bonus points if there's a news report about how it's a good thing that it's the least busy day of the year for this airport which is basically abandoned anyway or something like that.

Might wanna just pass on the movie, as both of those things are a given.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TheFallenEvincar posted:

will it be as GRIMDARK as FAMOUS DISASTER Fantastic Four which featured (Spoilers here because you really should give Josh Trank money to see this half-film, his career died for your comic book sins) BEN GRIMM BEING ABUSED, AS CHILD. AS IN, CHILD ABUUUUUUUUUSE, MAN..

I loved the outrage over this when the scene in question amounted to his brother slapping him in the head and then their mom giving him poo poo for it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gyges posted:

Critics are still a superstitious and cowardly lot, so probably not.

Critics loved all the Nolan Batman movies and specifically praised the "dark" tone and Heath Ledger's Joker as upgrades over the lighter campier Batfilms of yore.

Electromax posted:

Might wanna just pass on the movie, as both of those things are a given.

It's already been said that the fight scene from the trailers takes place at the Berlin Airport and is in the first act.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 31, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been firmly on the side of White Trash Joker since I saw that first publicity shot. The only thing I'm worried about is that they're going to play it too seriously. It's almost a parody of the idea of the Joker and should be treated as such.

e: also, not to turn this into my comic reading blog, but... Spawn actually gets sort of not-terrible after issue 120 or so, although that might just be Stockholm syndrome setting in. It's like McFarlane went and said, okay, we've been faffing about for ten years, how about we start actually plotting some of this stuff and cutting some of the fat from the setting, cast and dialogue. It's not amazing but it suddenly became at least servicable.

I'm bracing myself for the other shoe to drop, though. This can't be made to last.

e2: no fat was cut from the art.

Spawn doesn't get not terrible ever except for three issues by Erik Larsen

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I was a long-time Savage Dragon fan, and an early days Spawn fan, but I hadn't seen those Larsen Spawn issues. What's bad about them?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's already been said that the fight scene from the trailers takes place at the Berlin Airport and is in the first act.

I can only find stuff about shooting a fight scene at an airport in Leipzig, which is a shame. The Berlin airport I was thinking of has had a hilariously troubled construction phase and I think has not been opened to this day, that being the explanation for why there isn't anybody around would have been an amazing in-joke for Germans.

edit: It was this airport I was thinking of.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 31, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Retardog posted:

I was a long-time Savage Dragon fan, and an early days Spawn fan, but I hadn't seen those Larsen Spawn issues. What's bad about them?

No no those are the good issues, because Larsen is a good enough writer. The rest of Spawn is terrible made up as you go bullshit

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

No no those are the good issues, because Larsen is a good enough writer. The rest of Spawn is terrible made up as you go bullshit

Oh my bad. Reading is hard. I suppose I should check them out then.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Elfgames posted:

the only cgi that was really that bad was malbogia and hell, the :krad: cgi cape was great in it's otherworldly nature

Spawn's face mask transforming isn't the best CGI but it still looks neat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The rest of Spawn is terrible made up as you go bullshit
The Spawn movie experience isn't authentic unless there are like three villains, and they all show up with little introduction and are unceremoniously dispatched. This entire process takes five minutes for each. The rest of the runtime is almost entirely skyline shots of Manhattan with brooding voiceover. Sam & Twitch or the Fitzgeralds are set up as supporting characters in the first 15 minutes and then disappear without a trace until the showdown.

e: villains are Overt-Kill, Cy-Gor and Curse, for maximum "inconsequential cyborg" content and hyphenation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Spawn movie is loving terrible. I'll be shocked if Todd actually gets another one off the ground. Is he still lying about Jamie Foxx starring in it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tiberius Christ posted:

Spawn's face mask transforming isn't the best CGI but it still looks neat.

Probably the best effect in the whole movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Simmons ever come back with a new backstory or is he still gone somewhere?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Spawn movie experience isn't authentic unless there are like three villains, and they all show up with little introduction and are unceremoniously dispatched. This entire process takes five minutes for each. The rest of the runtime is almost entirely skyline shots of Manhattan with brooding voiceover. Sam & Twitch or the Fitzgeralds are set up as supporting characters in the first 15 minutes and then disappear without a trace until the showdown.

e: villains are Overt-Kill, Cy-Gor and Curse, for maximum "inconsequential cyborg" content and hyphenation.

Man, this just makes me appreciate the HBO show even more, because the villains are actually consequential, and Sam and Twitch and the Fitzgeralds are all actually major characters in it.

(Sam and Twitch are loving awesome, by the way. Major highlight of both the comic and the HBO show.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Martin Sheen and John Leguizamo are both having a ball

The only thing I remember about the Spawn movie is John Leguizamo shouting 'Start the apocalypse now!' to Martin Sheen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/31/suicide-squad-reshoots-bode-well-for-the-dc-movieverse

quote:

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an excellent source who told me something surprising: the trailer for Suicide Squad, the one with the Queen song, did not represent the film as it then existed. "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

I have since spoken to more sources and I understand that the reshoots are happening right now, as recently as this week, and that they're big - tens of millions of dollars big. And they're adding more humor and lightness into the film.

This, to me, is great news. Hearing that WB is aware that they need to inject some fun into these movies - and that's what I'm hearing is happening here, not that they're inserting jokes left and right but that they're beefing up fun character moments and interactions - can only mean good things for the future of the DC Movieverse after the deadly serious, zero fun Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Somewhat dissapointing if true, about changing the movie's tone I mean.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, this just makes me appreciate the HBO show even more, because the villains are actually consequential, and Sam and Twitch and the Fitzgeralds are all actually major characters in it.

(Sam and Twitch are loving awesome, by the way. Major highlight of both the comic and the HBO show.)

The early Sam & Twitch comics by Brian Michael Bendis are pretty great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I too am glad that nebulous changes of an undefined nature are happening to a product that I have not seen. It totally vindicates my anger about a completely different movie. A serious tone in a movie about a literal suicide squad that includes a complete psychopath? Not on my watch!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That sounds like such a huge crock of poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm the secret mystery source handing off confidential comic book communications in the shadows

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Isn't Devin Faraci's site the one that constantly brings up "inside sources" that say that WB is perpetually secretly terrified about their own tentpole films?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

a huge crock of poo poo.

You rang?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HorseRenoir posted:

Isn't Devin Faraci's site the one that constantly brings up "inside sources" that say that WB is perpetually secretly terrified about their own tentpole films?

Yep. He said a month or so back that Warner had secretly made plans to delay Justice League and fire Snyder because their projections were that BvS was going to bomb.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Yep. He said a month or so back that Warner had secretly made plans to delay Justice League and fire Snyder because their projections were that BvS was going to bomb.

I mean, given the critical evaluation of it, this actually sounds 100% plausible? I remember hearing that, while crew screenings went well, test screenings to the public got mildly positive reactions at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Except BvS had already been crushing advance ticket sales records when Faraci published his semi-weekly "I hate WB" screed.

• Locked thread