Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They've always outsourced production of individual parts. They're now outsourcing entire assemblies.

I know, I work for a company that makes 787 frame assemblies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The cargo market blows right now and fuel is cheap so demand for new-build freighters is extremely low. I think there are extant orders for 767-300Fs but why bother with new build when you can get retrofits off cheap airframes?

In 2015 FedEx ordered 50 763-Fs and have options for 50 more. I'm sure they got a sweetheart of a deal to keep the line going while the tanker program got online.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there any more movement on Boeing cranking out two 747-800s for the USAF to replace the VC-25s? I know there was some conversation about it, since it very well might be the last four engined aircraft Boeing ever builds.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They've always outsourced production of individual parts. They're now outsourcing entire assemblies.

So is the end game here to become like Oracle, IE a office which owns IP and sales that outsources all the RnD, manufacturing, etc?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

So is the end game here to become like Oracle, IE a office which owns IP and sales that outsources all the RnD, manufacturing, etc?

Which is hilarious because Oracle is currently struggling against up and coming and more flexible options.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

Is there any more movement on Boeing cranking out two 747-800s for the USAF to replace the VC-25s? I know there was some conversation about it, since it very well might be the last four engined aircraft Boeing ever builds.

The next AF1 could be an Airbus! Imagine it.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The cargo market blows right now and fuel is cheap so demand for new-build freighters is extremely low. I think there are extant orders for 767-300Fs but why bother with new build when you can get retrofits off cheap airframes?

No poo poo, one of my dad's companies re-purposes old passenger planes into cargo carriers, and they are gangbusters with orders.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have no actual knowledge of the specific situation, but I think they actually realized that Airbus' distributed subassembly process was beneficial from a cost perspective but didn't quite totally understand how to implement it without it being a huge clusterfuck.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got to LGA in time to catch an earlier flight....

....that has now been delayed due to an engine issue.

They're doing a run up on the engine to make sure "everything looks ok".

How well do CRJ700s do on one engine?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

If a UH-60 and a Osprey had a child...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have no actual knowledge of the specific situation, but I think they actually realized that Airbus' distributed subassembly process was beneficial from a cost perspective but didn't quite totally understand how to implement it without it being a huge clusterfuck.

Which is hilarious because Airbus only did it to spread the pork around between Britain, France and Germany (with France relentlessly bitching about it all the way as is par for the course.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Got to LGA in time to catch an earlier flight....

....that has now been delayed due to an engine issue.

They're doing a run up on the engine to make sure "everything looks ok".

How well do CRJ700s do on one engine?

Fine so long as you aren't lying about it. :v:

ok that was a 200, still

rscott posted:

Boeing cutting 4-8k jobs over the next year, right when they're supposed to be ramping up 777X and 737 max production, what gives with that?

After the last few F-15s and super hornets roll off the line in Missouri, they don't have anything to build for the Douglas fighter facility there so maybe that could account for most of it?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 30, 2016

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

MrYenko posted:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-receives-first-contract-of-air-force-one-reca-421423/

Seems to be moving pretty slow, but there is no way the line will close w/o at least 2 747-8's being made to replace the vc-25s. Article mentions the possibility of a 3rd as well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A bigger part of the issue was that they didn't just outsource fabrication and assembly, they outsourced design.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2013/01/21/what-went-wrong-at-boeing/#125171595aad

quote:

Since the battery and its monitoring system were made in Japan, and all the connected pieces were integrated by French company Thales, blaming outsourcing for that and other electrical system faults is a reflexive response among Puget Sound-area employees and observers.

Yet Boeing has never made batteries, and the electrical systems on all its jets have always been sourced from outside suppliers, just like the engines and the landing gear. In that respect, the 787 is not different from Boeing jets like the 777 and the 737, both renowned for their reliability.

However, what is very different on the 787 is the structure of the outsourcing.

On the Dreamliner, Boeing contracted with a top tier of about 50 suppliers, handing them complete control of the design of their piece of the plane.

Those major partners had to make the upfront investment, share the risk and own their design. Each was responsible for managing its own subcontractors.

“For the 787, they changed the structure” of the supply chain, said Christopher Tang, professor of business administration at the UCLA Anderson School of Management and lead author of a much-cited 2009 case study of outsourcing on the 787. “You only know what’s going on with your tier 1 supplier. You have no visibility, no coordination, no real understanding of how all the pieces fit together.

(Also: it is astounding how bad Thales is. Everything I've interacted with with their name on it is poo poo. The UK Chinook guys still have to do mission planning with paper maps because the Thales nav systems are so lovely they're considered 'for reference only' and are not allowed to be relied upon. But I digress.)

https://hbr.org/2013/01/the-787s-problems-run-deeper-t

quote:

Conversely, if you’re trying to modularize something — particularly if you’re trying to do it across organizational boundaries — you want to be absolutely sure that you know how all the pieces optimally work together, so everyone can just focus on their piece of the puzzle. If you’ve done it too soon and tried to modularize parts of an unsolved puzzle across suppliers, then each time one of those unanticipated problems or interdependencies arises, you have to cross corporate boundaries to make the necessary changes — changes which could dramatically impact the P&L of a supplier. Lawyers will probably need to get involved. So too might the other suppliers, who could quite possibly be required to change the design of their component, also (chances are, you’ve already contracted with them, too). The whole thing snowballs.

Historically, Boeing understood that, and had worked with its subcontractors on that basis. If it was going to rely on them, it would provide them with detailed blueprints of the parts that were required — after Boeing had already created them. That, in turn, meant that Boeing had to design all the relevant pieces of the puzzle itself, first. But with the 787, it appears that Boeing tried a very different approach: rather than having the puzzle solved and asking the suppliers to provide a defined puzzle piece, they asked suppliers to create their own blueprints for parts. The puzzle hadn’t been properly solved when Boeing asked suppliers for the pieces. It should come as little surprise then, that as the components came back from far-flung suppliers, for the first plane ever made of composite materials… those parts didn’t all fit together. Time and cost blew out accordingly.

Outsourcing fabrication is one thing, no airplane manufacturer builds all the parts to the airplane itself. It's the outsourcing of the design aspects that killed, because then when poo poo doesn't work it turns out you've outsourced your institutional awareness of what the problem is and how to get it fixed. And:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/69746/hart-smith-on-outsourcing.pdf

quote:

A strong case is made that will will not always be possible to make more and more profit out of less and less product and that, worse, there is a strong risk of going out of business directly as a result of this policy. The point is made that not only is the work out-sourced; all of the profits associated with the work are out-sourced, too. The history of the former Douglas Aircrafft Company is cited as a clear indication of what these policies have done - and as a warning of what more may be done. The subcontractors on the DC-10 made all of the profits; the prime manufacturer absorbed all of the over-runs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's a good rule of thumb that when a company starts outsourcing its core competencies, it's in its final phase of existence.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Fine so long as you aren't lying about it. :v:

ok that was a 200, still

What's the story with this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jealous Cow posted:

What's the story with this?

Pinnacle Flight 3701

They lost both engines by being dumbasses, but only declared losing one initially in an attempt to hide the degree and nature of their gently caress‐up.

e: It’s worse than I remembered. They didn’t declare losing even a single engine till they were at 13 k feet and breathing from masks.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 30, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

monkeytennis posted:

The next AF1 could be an Airbus! Imagine it.

Nah, they said they weren't interested as it didn't make financial sense, but probably also the realization that a U.S. supplier is about a million times more likely for AF1.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

If a UH-60 and a Osprey had a child...

Kinda want a front aspect shot of this thing with 'Mater' eyes overlaid on the cockpit.

CharlesM posted:

Nah, they said they weren't interested as it didn't make financial sense, but probably also the realization that a U.S. supplier is about a million times more likely for AF1.

I thought I remembered hearing once that the VC-25s and E-4s were based on the 747-200 because it was the most structurally sound model available to them, and the -300 and -400 made compromises for the enlarged upper deck.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Pinnacle Flight 3701

They lost both engines by being dumbasses, but only declared losing one initially in an attempt to hide the degree and nature of their gently caress‐up.

e: It’s worse than I remembered. They didn’t declare losing even a single engine till they were at 13 k feet and breathing from masks.

Oh ok I thought of Pinnacle 3701 but didn't make the 'only admitted to one engine' part since it was so much worse.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought I remembered hearing once that the VC-25s and E-4s were based on the 747-200 because it was the most structurally sound model available to them, and the -300 and -400 made compromises for the enlarged upper deck.

Next Air Force One will be a 747-8F, then?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I thought it was because the 742 had a 3 man cockpit crew, which was a USAF requirement for some reason.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Next Air Force One will be a 747-8F, then?

Next E-4, maybe. gently caress windows.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LostCosmonaut posted:

I thought it was because the 742 had a 3 man cockpit crew, which was a USAF requirement for some reason.

The VC-25s are extremely special snowflakes. From what I understand, they're 747-200s, with some minor structural changes, with CF6-80s like on a -400, and electrical/electronic/communications modifications all over the godamned place. It's my understanding that they're also EM hardened like an E-4.

They really are different enough to be considered exclusively as VC-25s, instead of as some variant of 747. Not as different as a C-135 is to a 707, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

Probably for the chemtrails.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phanatic posted:

(Also: it is astounding how bad Thales is. Everything I've interacted with with their name on it is poo poo. The UK Chinook guys still have to do mission planning with paper maps because the Thales nav systems are so lovely they're considered 'for reference only' and are not allowed to be relied upon. But I digress.)

Thales is essentially French GE, so while you aren't necessarily wrong, I wouldn't let that bias colour the entire company. GE dishwashers are awful, Thales IFE systems are awful, but GE engines are good, and the Thales avionics I've worked with are forgetably reliable.

Midjack posted:

It's a good rule of thumb that when a company starts outsourcing its core competencies, it's in its final phase of existence.

By that metric, the entire auto industry has been in it's final phase of existence for half a century. Which may be accurate, but that final phase can last a very, very long time.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Phanatic posted:

A bigger part of the issue was that they didn't just outsource fabrication and assembly, they outsourced design.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2013/01/21/what-went-wrong-at-boeing/#125171595aad

https://hbr.org/2013/01/the-787s-problems-run-deeper-t

Outsourcing fabrication is one thing, no airplane manufacturer builds all the parts to the airplane itself. It's the outsourcing of the design aspects that killed, because then when poo poo doesn't work it turns out you've outsourced your institutional awareness of what the problem is and how to get it fixed. And:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/69746/hart-smith-on-outsourcing.pdf

So basically Boeing saw LM's experience with concurrency on the JSF and said "you know what guys? That looks like a really good idea but let's throw in the added wrinkle of not allowing anyone whose designing anything to know what anyone else is designing"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iyaayas01 posted:

So basically Boeing saw LM's experience with concurrency on the JSF and said "you know what guys? That looks like a really good idea but let's throw in the added wrinkle of not allowing anyone whose designing anything to know what anyone else is designing"

Boeing is an integrator first, they just took it to the Nth degree as did Lockmart (kinda) with the F35, and it's hurting both of them now.

e: Integration and test is always the most up-in-the-air and unpredictable part of any project, it will also blow the schedule and cost if you don't have one company managing your 1st tiers building the major sub-assemblies.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 31, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So Airbus' software can also interfere with/advise against landings: http://www.cnet.com/news/watch-an-airbus-a380-go-round-and-round-and-still-not-land/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Airbus' software can also interfere with/advise against landings: http://www.cnet.com/news/watch-an-airbus-a380-go-round-and-round-and-still-not-land/

While it does say that the actual events are yet unclear, it wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps the combination of weight, wind and runway length triggered the runway length warning? Some bad data input again? Very strange that the software would abort on such generic conditions as runway length, that should trigger a warning when you punch in the flight details before takeoff. Come to think of it, since many airline ticket purchases show the plane type, you could in theory prevent this with a browser plugin.

PURCHASE TO MANCHESTER ON AIRBUS 380 ABORTED, INSUFFICIENT RUNWAY LENGTH. THANK GOD THAT WAS CLOSE.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Linedance posted:

Thales is essentially French GE, so while you aren't necessarily wrong, I wouldn't let that bias colour the entire company. GE dishwashers are awful, Thales IFE systems are awful, but GE engines are good, and the Thales avionics I've worked with are forgetably reliable.
Gentle reminder that Thales made the chinook avionics to MoD spec, because MoD wanted expensive toys they knowingly couldn't afford.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

What is a core competency, though? The definition changes significantly over time. At one point, Ford would have considered rubber production and tire manufacture a core competency. At this point, that's ridiculous. There's a huge non-survivor bias to this type of analysis, as well. Nobody concurrently looks at companies that gave up some once-considered core competencies and were successful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All commercial aircraft are required to be able to advise against landings.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Jesus what a bullshit article. "Aircraft held in pattern then diverted! Who knows why??? PROBABLY BECAUSE AIRBUS!!!"
:supaburn: Sidenote: Passengers were HUNGRY! :supaburn:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay? Seems like a pretty normal thing to me.

I guess the more important question is if the computer knows the pilots name/any personal information.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Okay? Seems like a pretty normal thing to me.

I guess the more important question is if the computer knows the pilots name/any personal information.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What is a core competency, though? The definition changes significantly over time. At one point, Ford would have considered rubber production and tire manufacture a core competency. At this point, that's ridiculous. There's a huge non-survivor bias to this type of analysis, as well. Nobody concurrently looks at companies that gave up some once-considered core competencies and were successful.

I think it boils down to using the better product. If some day a company comes to Boeing showing their carbon nanotube wing they are churning out of their factory for competitive prices, it's the day Boeing should stop manufacturing wings. Just because manufacturing wings is annoying and requires a lot of effort, money and employees; it's no reason to try to push it to someone else and hope everything works out okay.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In an oligopoly with extremely high costs of entry, how does a new entrant develop a superior product?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In an oligopoly with extremely high costs of entry, how does a new entrant develop a superior product?

With difficulty. Start small with RC plane wings, move up to drones and small planes. Or wind turbines, I've got the understanding from somewhere that one of the sail plane manufacturers was actually a wind turbine blade manufacturer as their main industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Saukkis posted:

With difficulty. Start small with RC plane wings, move up to drones and small planes. Or wind turbines, I've got the understanding from somewhere that one of the sail plane manufacturers was actually a wind turbine blade manufacturer as their main industry.

I can be pretty safe in my assertion that this will literally never happen. Comparing wind turbine blades or RC airplanes to an airliner wing is like comparing apples to stopwatches.