Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i have a few tips on how to move teams despite previously demonstrated competence if u need them hmu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
get a new job while the job market is still hot

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ahh, https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/3/31/1109

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Seems legit

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

LOL

yeah, gently caress design patterns!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tl;dr: Don't encapsulate your state in objects, encapsulate your state in things that you don't call objects.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Finster Dexter posted:

LOL

yeah, gently caress design patterns!

agreed unironically

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

tl;dr: Don't encapsulate your state in objects, encapsulate your state in things that you don't call objects.

and also don't encapsulate the functions that can operate on that state

everyone in software development is using objects now because OO actually is a step beyond procedural programming

hell, everyone in software development is even doing OO with a NeXT-derived technology stack!

- all Apple stuff is obviously NeXT-derived
- Java took a lot of its initial feature set and framework design from NeXT
- C# & .NET are a Java knockoff that you use with an IDE designed by Bill Parkhurst (who designed the original NeXT frameworks and tools) and all three continued to copy from NeXT/Apple

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i prefer storing my state in a function closure

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

"boo-hoo, reading other people's code is too hard" is most of what i got out of that video
that said i will say i don't really like designing in an oop style, but that's just because i don't feel like i can properly conceptualize objects
this is after being a java dev so lol i'm just bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm really glad we're starting to get (good) langs that let you use functional/oo/imperative as you please.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i prefer storing my state in a function closure

closures are just lovely objects.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm really glad we're starting to get (good) langs that let you use functional/oo/imperative as you please.

me 2 mate

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

tho i find that when given the option to do OO in those multiparadigm langs i almost never do because i did that poo poo for like 15 years

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

AWWNAW posted:

tho i find that when given the option to do OO in those multiparadigm langs i almost never do because i did that poo poo for like 15 years

yeaah i know why would you want to

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sometimes you just want some state

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HoboMan posted:

"boo-hoo, reading other people's code is too hard" is most of what i got out of that video

I don't think you understand. That dude had coworkers who sometimes put their code into functions!!!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

agreed, c# is very good.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i saw some pic on twitter that looked like c# was getting pattern matching but not sure if real

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lomarg

im the made up version of oop that perfectly supports the op's coding habits

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"$programming_paradigm sucks" arguments tend to hinge on strawmanning what that paradigm "means" to the writer

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
oop is kinda lovely and the video makes some good points

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HappyHippo posted:

the video illustrates the most extreme case possible. ive certainly see code as bad as he's describing there, but most projects using oop actually use it in the way he's describing as "procedural".

in other words, hes trying to sound cool and disruptive by giving the same poo poo a different name.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

Inheritance is kind of lovely, and his points about that are sound, but I remember reading some of the stuff he cites and some of it boils down to "who cares how readable code is, just make it work." gently caress off. 90% of my job anymore is fixing people's broken-rear end unreadable garbage pile code monoliths and I loving hate it. That's because 90% of us are terrible programmers. If we were all magical coding gods that didn't need intellisense and IDE's (which he apparently hates for some reason) and could write bug-free code that never needed to be maintained, then yeah, he has some good points.

I know that's probably not what you are referring to, but I've had co-workers that were really smart and could code circles around anyone, but pity the fool that had to come in behind him and debug through his byzantine code cathedrals.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

agreed unironically

nah, there's some pretty useful design patterns.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
use what you think is good and don't use what you think is bad

unless what you think is good is actually bad, then just kill urself

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MeruFM posted:

use what you think is good and don't use what you think is bad

unless what you think is good is actually bad, then just kill urself

like jarvascript

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Agreed; C++ rocks.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Finster Dexter posted:

like jarvascript

javascript is fine now w/ es6 react and redux.

its prolly the most feasible way to get paid to be a FP weenie

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Finster Dexter posted:

nah, there's some pretty useful design patterns.

my favorite is the singleton because it lets you shove all of your global variables in there and then pretend like you're not using any global variables which everyone knows are bad

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flat Daddy posted:

it's not fine

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Flat Daddy posted:

how do you set this up without spending 2 days staring at webpack or grunt or whatever

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
pfft, all you ivory tower types with your highfalutin "oo design"

just vomit code into your editor until a few cursory manual tests look alright, then throw that poo poo up to production

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

my stepdads beer posted:

how do you set this up without spending 2 days staring at webpack or grunt or whatever

plenty of short guides like https://github.com/petehunt/webpack-howto that'll get you up and running

postscript to my typescript whines: typescript recently did a site overhaul and what Looks like a docs refresh so i might look back into it. weird that it still doesn't show using "es6 mode" by default though, really should be set up so you're compiling out the annotations and going into babel by default. make it a piece you can slot into an existing toolchain instead of a separate ecosystem

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

redleader posted:

pfft, all you ivory tower types with your highfalutin "oo design"

just vomit code into your editor until a few cursory manual tests look alright, then throw that poo poo up to production

works for me

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yes, scala is good and cool

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Condiv posted:

yes, scala is good and cool

low-effort april fools gag spotted

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i watched the oop is bad video