Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really like Landfall much, the vast majority of it seems to amount to "Don't ever block with this creature" and "Play these overpowered lands you were going to play anyway".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I enjoy landfall because it helps answer one of the feel bad moments in magic: getting mana flooded. Drawing land late game is usually terrible. Landfall makes it somewhat relevant.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That is true. At the same time it makes screw doubly painful. :shrug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shadow225 posted:

I started at World wake, and I hated original Zendikar block. If not for Jace, Stone Forge, the fetches, the man lands, and the Eldrazi legends, no one would care.

-landfall was the only mechanic worth anything. Allies were parasitic and bad, having tons of random lands was meh, the equipment subtheme wasn't expounded upon, and rise had the hilarious wall subtheme. Also, multikicker on like three cards for some reason.

-world wake was almost completely worthless except playing the Jace lottery. I can't remember anyone actually liking the set.

-really dumb standard environment, spearheaded by Jace. Jace is actually responsible for all kinds of dumb poo poo. Shops gouging pre-orders, future play walker design being somewhat homogeneous for a few years, mythics being standard bombs instead of unique effects (you can blame m10 for this to be fair). You eventually got to a point where you had to play Jace in standard or lose.

- other mythics and planes walkers being trash. Let me tell you about opening Chandra instead of Jace. Gideon was cool though.

- halo hunter existing in same standard as baneslayer.

I don't get the love or desire for the set other than the money that came from the first set.

Battle and path also just seemed super boring and bad to me. Devoid? I really don't care about my cards having a color for the most part. Awaken? Probably cool in limited, but I don't want to do anything to kill my lands/tempo. Ingest? Cool idea but useless outside of limited, if it's even useful there. Cohort is also parasitic, but it at least is mitigated by putting ally on more cards, something wizards specifically said they wanted to do in the past.

Both Zendikar and Battle were preceded by cool multicolor sets. Both had land play that enabled obnoxious 3-4 color shenanigans for a bit. Both utterly ruined constructed formats to the point of drawing bans.

I hate Zendikar so much.

By "Parasitic" do you mean "Only works with itself and has no worth in other decks"?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Not really, that's more just linear mechanics in general. What parasitic means is that the cards don't work with anything from other blocks because what it cares about is specific to its current block. Allies are parasitic because they only ever print them within Zendikar blocks, another classic example is "splice onto arcane" because "arcane" spells only appear on Kamigawa. For contrast, a mechanic like Madness isn't parasitic even though it likely demands a dedicated deck because there are plenty of random cards printed throughout the history of magic that let you discard.

Parasitic mechanics can be fun (eg the "clues matter" stuff in SoI should be fun in draft) but I think they try to avoid making it too big a part of their expansions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not really, that's more just linear mechanics in general. What parasitic means is that the cards don't work with anything from other blocks because what it cares about is specific to its current block. Allies are parasitic because they only ever print them within Zendikar blocks, another classic example is "splice onto arcane" because "arcane" spells only appear on Kamigawa. For contrast, a mechanic like Madness isn't parasitic even though it likely demands a dedicated deck because there are plenty of random cards printed throughout the history of magic that let you discard.

Parasitic mechanics can be fun (eg the "clues matter" stuff in SoI should be fun in draft) but I think they try to avoid making it too big a part of their expansions.

Yeah that's what I was figuring, it makes sense. I enjoy the Ally mechanic as an idea, but I can see why you'd not like something that's only going to appear in a specific block. Like I started playing when DTK came out? and the mechanics of that block, Prowess, Dash, Raid, Ferocious. Even if the mechanics aren't particularly good, at least their qualifiers aren't block limited.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Dash was kind of a weird mechanic but at least it didn't actively sabotage a non-linear strategy. I don't think Dash.dec ever worked well in practice anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dash doesn't really "care" about anything in and of itself, so it's a bit different. There's kindof a split between mechanics that ask you to do something (like Madness or Delirium or Exploit) and ones that are just inherent upside that may or may not have cards that care about them (eg Bolster, Dash, Investigate). I do think Dash led to interesting decisions and gave aggro decks a way to play around the strong sweepers from Theros though, which is cool.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

alansmithee posted:

I also have a feeling that SoI is gonna be disappointing to play. A lot of the things that seem pushed aren't proving to be all that effective in practice (admittedly, in early testing) and I don't think any of the mechanics will have much impact. I really wish they would've put in a better madness enabler (Wild Mongrel :( ).

I have a feeling that alot of the pushed things are gonna get a poo poo ton better when it's just Zendikar and Innistrad. Like Black Red Vampires right now, the closest playable build is an aggro rush build that falls on it's face as soon as a Languish drops. But once Origins rotates (gently caress you baby Jace) and Languish is out, I think that deck will get alot better, plus it's guaranteede it will get some more (maybe not better) Vampires in Eldritch Moon, and we might get some higher quality madness enablers. I mean Eldrazi wasn't really a huge deck till Oath, so I'm assuming it's gonna work out similarly.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

anglachel posted:

I have a feeling that alot of the pushed things are gonna get a poo poo ton better when it's just Zendikar and Innistrad. Like Black Red Vampires right now, the closest playable build is an aggro rush build that falls on it's face as soon as a Languish drops. But once Origins rotates (gently caress you baby Jace) and Languish is out, I think that deck will get alot better, plus it's guaranteede it will get some more (maybe not better) Vampires in Eldritch Moon, and we might get some higher quality madness enablers. I mean Eldrazi wasn't really a huge deck till Oath, so I'm assuming it's gonna work out similarly.

Origins rotates with Khans 3 when the set after eldrich moon comes in right?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So now that the opening of Zendikar is over, what was everyone's expedition count? I got three total, all from BFZ. 2 Catacombs and a Foothills. At least I got the expensive ones.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoutPatrol posted:

So now that the opening of Zendikar is over, what was everyone's expedition count? I got three total, all from BFZ. 2 Catacombs and a Foothills. At least I got the expensive ones.

I probably ended up opening an more than an entire case of sealed product from each set in prizes and my count was 0.

2 of those were win a box from mocs, but the rest was simply prize backs from the store. I either got really unlucky or more stores broke out their scales than I assumed would.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 1, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

2 prereleases + prize out=38 packs

7 drafts + prize out = 49 packs

GPDC= 12packs

total packs opened=99

total expeditions opened=0

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

Bought a box of each, went to a pre-release for each and drafted pretty much once a week with somewhere between 1-2 boxes of prize support from all that.

Got a Stomping Grounds (draft) and a Mana Confluence (box).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think almost 3 boxes total opened after prizes. I think 5 or 6 total? Maybe 7? I have 25 now and can't remember which ones I specifically traded for and don't care enough to look through my post history. I do remember getting scalding tarn and wasteland though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got a Sacred Foundry at the BfZ prerelease and a Prairie Stream in my Fat Pack. Nothing from Oath packs but I didn't open so many.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Stormgale posted:

Origins rotates with Khans 3 when the set after eldrich moon comes in right?

Right. Khans and Fate rotate out as Shadows comes in, Dragons and Origins rotate out with the following block.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Got a Cinder Glade and a Sacred Foundry.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I figured you guys would love this.

https://www.gofundme.com/mxq8xy64

Magic is the beacon for the mentally ill and out of touch.

it's kind of sickening that people would love this really

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GoutPatrol posted:

4 pre-releases (counting my brothers) + 6 prize packs (4 for placing barely + 2 door prizes) = 30 packs

2 release day sealed events = 12 packs (no placing here :sigh:)

5 drafts = 15 packs (I'm bad at draft. Except Chaos draft when I get passed foil Spider Spawning. :v:)

Various constructed winnings opened because I am a sucker = we'll call it 10 since I can't remember the exact count and it's at least 10

A fat pack (bought on a whim) = 9 packs

Total packs opened: ~76

Expeditions opened: 0

Meanwhile it seems like everyone else at my LGS has opened at least one. :(

In writing this out I realize I played far more lotto than I thought I did. :smithicide:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I got an Eye of Ugin out of a prerelease OGW pity pack for going 1-2.

I think overall I opened one fat pack, 1 release, 1 pre-release and I got a couple of those gift sets and a set of the BFZ intro packs so that's maybe less than a whole box worth of packs.

I also got a foil Gideon so that's probably worth more than the expedition after Eye gets banned.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

4 pre-releases (counting my brothers) + 6 prize packs (4 for placing barely + 2 door prizes) = 30 packs

2 release day sealed events = 12 packs (no placing here :sigh:)

5 drafts = 15 packs (I'm bad at draft. Except Chaos draft when I get passed foil Spider Spawning. :v:)

Various constructed winnings opened because I am a sucker = we'll call it 10 since I can't remember the exact count and it's at least 10

A fat pack (bought on a whim) = 9 packs

Total packs opened: ~76

Expeditions opened: 0

Meanwhile it seems like everyone else at my LGS has opened at least one. :(

In writing this out I realize I played far more lotto than I thought I did. :smithicide:

Pre-Release: 1 Event, Sacred Foundry.

First FNM Release Weekend, Place top 4 split, 12 packs, Misty Rainforest, first pack.

:v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

Please do not play the wizard poker lottery. Wizards aren't very fair, as you'd know if you have ever played popular wizard game, Dungeons and Dragons.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Zoness posted:

it's kind of sickening that people would love this really

They didn't, he was (rightfully) ripped to pieces on Twitter. Asking for money to quit MTG, instead of just doing what everyone else does and selling their collection, is a level of out-of-touchness no one had any patience for.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Remember when DailyMTG.com went all out for April Fools Day? It was the only April Fools day prank on the internet I really liked. Draft viewers where the draft picks were different cards from all over the place, including things not quite Magic. Fake From the Vault spoilers. Things like that. This year it's... nothing at all.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Wasn't From the Vaults: One their prank? Except, you know, for the fact that they screwed up again and it got spoiled on Imgur a day early.

So many security leaks, even their fake leaks get leaked.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GoutPatrol posted:

Not only did I not open any expeditions, I didn't even open a single loving money rare. The only thing I've gotten out of this entire block worth mentioning was a single Kalitas.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

They didn't, he was (rightfully) ripped to pieces on Twitter. Asking for money to quit MTG, instead of just doing what everyone else does and selling their collection, is a level of out-of-touchness no one had any patience for.

This.

The guy has been the steriotypical drama queen for his entire 20 years of playing magic. He is the quintessential grognard that never leaves the LGS and is somehow always broke (maybe its from not wanting to work?). He was the guy that the judges would groan about when they see signing up for a competitive event because he is so toxic. He is basically every terrible stereotype that magic plays have and batshit crazy to boot.

Having been around this person and constantly hearing stories about him from my local area it was utterly hilarious that he had a gall to ask the community he poo poo on for so long to pay him to quit magic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

GoutPatrol posted:

Over the course of the format I drafted quite a bit, so no idea how many packs I opened:

Canopy Vista (my first one, in a BFZ draft. Guy at the next table over opened Tarn, but I still felt good)
Flooded Strand (BFZ house draft)
Blood Crypt (OGW prerelease)
Cascade Bluffs (OGW draft)

And I'm pretty sure there was one more, but I can't remember what it was.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I've been considering getting rid of my Expedition Sacred Foundry but I don't know if I should sell it now or if I should wait until BFZ leaves print. Thoughts?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Opened a Steam Vents, traded it and a few other cards for a Wooded Foothills, Godless Shrine, Blood Crypt, Temple Garden, Canopy Vista, and Cinder Glade. Hoping to get an Ancient Tomb next.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So June's FNM Promo has been shown now.

:confuoot:

The art's not bad (imo) but Nissa continues to be the tree-hugging-est tree-hugger ever and it's sad.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I pulled: 3 flooded grove, one eye, one forbidden orchard, one fire-lit thicket, a windswept Heath, a scalding tarn, a bloodstained mire and a smoldering marsh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

So June's FNM Promo has been shown now.

The art's not bad (imo) but Nissa continues to be the tree-hugging-est tree-hugger ever and it's sad.

I am okay with planeswalkers being ridiculous caricatures of a kind of idea rather than relatable characters to be honest.

Urza was cool because of how unrealistic he was.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

The art's not bad (imo)

respectfully disagree

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GoutPatrol posted:

2 Tectonic Edge
1 Rugged Prairie
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Blood Crypt

I put them all on eBay because I don't give a gently caress about special snowflake foils.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I opened a Polluted Delta out of a friend's prize packs once.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GoutPatrol posted:

0. rear end in a top hat. ☺️

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Wasn't From the Vaults: One their prank? Except, you know, for the fact that they screwed up again and it got spoiled on Imgur a day early.

So many security leaks, even their fake leaks get leaked.

Pretty sure the fact that it was leaked was part of the joke. Hence the color coding and templating as if they were stolen scans of proofs rather than just a mockup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I could be wrong, but I feel like someone else created and leaked the fake FTV One set, someone who's not associated with Wizards. I don't imagine Wizards is in a joking mood about their long history of leaks, or that Hasbro wants to make light of their corporate security flaws.

• Locked thread