Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

Documentary Now! was fantastic right up until the finale two-parter. The first five episodes parodied documentary styles that haven't really been lampooned, and had a lot of interesting characters. The last two, well, do we really need another "Behind the Music" documentary parody? I guess if you're doing this kind of thing it's an obligation to do one on a music group like that, I was just bored and disappointed after the others were so good.

Was one of the episodes a Herzog parody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maysles Brothers Parody
Nanook of The North Parody
VICE parody
Generic true-crime parody
I don't know what style but about northern european types celebrating Al Capone
Rock-doc parody

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are nightwatch/daywatch worth checking out at all?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

Weird Russian action/horror/comedy. Nightwatch is less on the comedic but has the absolutely coolest looking subtitles ever and some pretty decent effects.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure the version on Netflix doesn't have the special subtitles. At least it didn't the last time I watched it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

deoju posted:

I'm pretty sure the version on Netflix doesn't have the special subtitles. At least it didn't the last time I watched it.

:(

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maysles Brothers Parody
Nanook of The North Parody
VICE parody
Generic true-crime parody

I don't know what style but about northern european types celebrating Al Capone
Rock-doc parody

The Thin Blue Line is about as far from a generic true crime doc as you can get.

The Al Capone episode isn't based on anything as far as I can tell, aside from being a parody of those no-budget iMovie docs that were super common in the early 00s.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

They're pretty fun, yeah. Very stylish as well, pay attention to the small details - such as the characters in the Tekken knock-off game that the bad guys like to play. It is a bummer if the original subtitles aren't in the entflix version but I can understand how they would want to normalize stuff like that.

Also if you're interested they're a series of pretty fun novels (I got them on audio so I wouldn't have to mangle name pronunciation,) and the novels are so densely-packed that the Nightwatch and Daywatch movies literally only comprise about 2/3 of the first novel.

They're pretty dark as well - both the movies and the novels.. Think "Metro 2033" dark and also the same level of weird.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 1, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been behind on this thread so I'm not sure if this has been brought up but Guy Maddin's latest film,The Forbidden Room is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwKvz-wA3I0
Watch The Forbidden Room.

Also, I think it's been brought up but if you like The Comedy, watch Entertainment. It's like that but more so.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 1, 2016

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
John Stamos looks to be using his brand to help take Netflix to the next...

level.

Be sure to check out the trailer for his documentary: Stamos: A Human, Being.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

david_a posted:

By the way, I've never watched The Walking Dead but from what I've gathered from osmosis on this forum it seems like a mistake to start watching it. How is Fear the Walking Dead?

Fear the walking dead makes me more actively angry watching it than the baseline series. There's a lot of poo poo the show never acknowledges (LA has millions of people, wouldn't a zombie outbreak turn it into a hellish contagion zone basically instantly? Why are the military bragging about 2000 zombies in a stadium and a couple dozen kills when in theory there would be literal millions of zombies at the walls constantly?) and a lot of characters are aggressively terrible (looking at you junkie kid and casual torture hispanic grandpa)

On the original series, the first and third seasons are legitimately great with the second one being mostly so-so filler material until later on. You can basically stop after 3 and replace everything after with "...and they did it again, and again" and you get a good feel for why people are down on the later seasons.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Season 2 is unwatchable garbage, much like the rest of the show that isn't the pilot episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Season 1 is ehhhhh, but season 2 is maybe the worst TV I've ever seen. Couldn't even finish because nothing happened for hours on end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Season 2 of TWD is nothing compared to the badness of FTWD. Seriously one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GonSmithe posted:

Season 2 is unwatchable garbage, much like the rest of the show that isn't the pilot episode.
It's amazing to me how quickly TWD went downhill. I checked out during the fourth episode (the ones with a Latino street gang hanging out in a ruined factory) but kept watching because all my friends at the time were really into it.

Season 2 is bad in ways that defy explanation. It should have killed the show and I really have no idea how it survived. Even the hardcore fans admit that it's better to skip season 2 than suffer through it. To me, that's a mark of a show not worth seeing and people not worth talking to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Ironically, the only thing that could really make TWD interesting right now is if the zombies all started dying on their own, so people could actually remake society.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Season 2 is bad in ways that defy explanation. It should have killed the show and I really have no idea how it survived. Even the hardcore fans admit that it's better to skip season 2 than suffer through it. To me, that's a mark of a show not worth seeing and people not worth talking to.

I don't know why I even watch it whenever the next season pops up on Netflix. Season 2 was really bad, and it was set to redeem itself with the finale, but then it lasted 20 more minutes for no reason.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think TWD is fine (fast food fine). It has never been great, just dumb and fun at times. Yes it can be frustrating, but never would call it the 'worst tv'. It has never made me angry like Dexter, SoA, Weeds, True Blood, and so on. That said I never thought it would be on the level of a Mad Men or one of the good HBO shows. So I have zero regret watching the show (still watching), but it does deserves its criticisms. That said in all fairness it is one of the few shows we watch as a family, and TWD was the first comic my son ever read. So I am slightly more forgiving than most.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
True Blood was way, WAY better than TWD ever was.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

True Blood was way, WAY better than TWD ever was.

True Blood (and Dexter) even had bigger swings in quality than TWD has ever had, and that is why it made me angry (to be clear I never said one was better than the other). Also one of the worst the series finales (right up there with Dexter) ever. TWD has never been as good as True Blood or even Dexter at their best, but their worst (to me) is worse than TWD has ever been.

Edit: Of course a drastic swing in quality makes the worse seem worse. I would even say TWD season 2 for me was a better viewing experience than House of Cards season 3. It is another show that made me angry (the last half of season 4 of HoC redeems it some), but it is better than TWD.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 1, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the lows of True Blood were extremely low, and the drop-off happened abruptly so it was really noticeable and frustrating. Almost in the same league as Heroes, but not quite.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The lowest True Blood low is higher than the highest Walking Dead high, and it's not like TB was a great show or anything. But I take your point.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

nate fisher posted:

True Blood (and Dexter) even had bigger swings in quality than TWD has ever had, and that is why it made me angry (to be clear I never said one was better than the other). Also one of the worst the series finales (right up there with Dexter) ever. TWD has never been as good as True Blood or even Dexter at their best, but their worst (to me) is worse than TWD has ever been.

Dexter is a show where you stop watching after season 4 because nothing can really top it and everything after is such unrepentant poo poo.

What's considered the jumping shark moment of True Blood? I've only watched up to the end of season 3.

In any case, I still say that Breaking Bad was the one AMC show I thoroughly liked beginning to end.

Edit: You know, in my mind's eye I just never got as deep into True Blood as my immediate family did. This is coming from someone who loving LOVED what Alan Ball did with Six Feet Under and American Beauty. His house style up until True Blood had basically been "Really hosed up broken people trying to act normal" and then with True Blood he turned it on his head with "Really hosed up people reveling in how hosed up they are" which is an interesting premise on paper. The problem being in my mind's eye that the writing and pathos just wasn't there like it was for SFU.

Edit 2: (Six Feet Under is really good and you should watch it)

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 1, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DeathSandwich posted:

In any case, I still say that Breaking Bad was the one AMC show I thoroughly liked beginning to end.

Even that one had a sophomore slump (and a lot of the first season is Walt trying to get out of having to cook meth).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The lowest True Blood low is higher than the highest Walking Dead high, and it's not like TB was a great show or anything.

I'd agree if we're not counting the pilot episode of The Walking Dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

What's considered the jumping shark moment of True Blood? I've only watched up to the end of season 3.

I think most people would probably say when Sookie finds out that she's actually a fairy, and proceeds to spend a third of the season hanging out in fairyland.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd agree if we're not counting the pilot episode of The Walking Dead.

I always thought the pilot was just alright.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit 2: (Six Feet Under is really good and you should watch it)

Wait..You just told me to watch SFU? Please look at my user name.

Edit: My wife and I have watched HBO Sunday nights since 1999. So we seen all the good HBO stuff when it aired.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

nate fisher posted:

Hahaha. Maybe he was saying STFU.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

nate fisher posted:

Edit: My wife and I have watched HBO Sunday nights since 1999. So we seen all the good HBO stuff when it aired.

Not specifically to you, more like the thread in general. I've got the full collection on DVD and I'll sit down and watch through it about every other year still.

I'm still grumpy that HBO canned Carnivale mind you, speaking of oldish HBO series. I'm also annoyed Tales From the Crypt isn't available on HBO streaming.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm also annoyed Tales From the Crypt isn't available on HBO streaming.

Yeah that's some horseshit

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm still grumpy that HBO canned Carnivale mind you, speaking of oldish HBO series.

Not giving us a season 3 of Carnivale and a season 4 of Deadwood are two of the biggest mistakes HBO has ever made.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

nate fisher posted:

TWD has never been as good as True Blood or even Dexter at their best, but their worst (to me) is worse than TWD has ever been.

Totally agree 100%
Weren't you in at least a couple episodes of True Blood or am I thinking of someone else here?

VvV ahh, thanks. Knew it was nate something!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 1, 2016

Parachute
May 18, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

Totally agree 100%
Weren't you in at least a couple episodes of True Blood or am I thinking of someone else here?

That's "nate falls"

I watched all of S1 of TWD as it aired and thought it was ok, but once they got to the farm on S2 I just stopped watching all together.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I hear that opinions greatly vary on TWD Season 2 depending on how you watched it.

If you saw it in realtime, week-to-week when it aired, you loving hate it.

If you caught it on streaming and binged through it, it's slow but not horrid since you compress all that waiting for something to happen.

I actually think this applies to a lot of shows (and is why my opinion on Lost is much higher than viewers' opinions).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. I watched it as it aired and it was such a slog. I would have probably liked it more if I could have just marathoned it.

TWD isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be and it's equally over rated by the mainstream. It's an ok show imo. At its best it can be pretty good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I always thought the pilot was just alright.

I liked it a lot more on a rewatch when I understood I had to appreciate it as just a short little film rather than a start to a series. That said, my comment was partially predicated on the assumption that there was a significant low point in True Blood, but now I can't recall it. Maybe the plot with the dipshit fairies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Definitely the fairy stuff, which, again, more lively and entertaining than TWD could ever hope to be.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, even that had the return of what's-his-face, the spine ripper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe I was just more amused by True Blood because it was such an unabashed fuckfest.