Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

The issue is many drivers don't have it, and there's no enforcement on Uber's part to ensure that they do and no way for the municipality to track unbadged jitneys to ensure compliance. So when your e-jitney gets t-boned and it turns out Joe Blogs UberX partner extraordinaire doesn't have the right insurance, well too bad for you, maybe you can sue him to try to cover the lifetime of physio and lost wages you'll be facing.

Or maybe not.

Financial Services Commission of Ontario posted:

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/brochures/Pages/brochure_autoins.aspx

If you are injured in an accident while driving or occupying an uninsured vehicle:

you may not be entitled to receive income replacement and/or non-earner benefits; and
you may not be allowed to sue the at-fault driver for compensation as a result of injuries received in the accident.

More importantly, if you are found to be at fault for an accident causing injury or death to another person, you may be held personally responsible for his/her medical costs and other losses.

Ontario has an assistance fund for uninsured drivers and their victims.

quote:

ut Ontario drivers don't just pay for the uninsured in their premiums. Whenever a driver renews his licence in the province, $15 of the $75 licensing fee goes into the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims (MVAC) Fund, which acts as the “payer of last resort” to people who are injured in car accidents but have no access to insurance.

Thanks to that fund, pedestrians and cyclists hit by an uninsured or unidentified driver are eligible for up to $200,000 and up to $2 million for medical and attendant-care benefits if they suffer catastrophic injuries. But so too are the uninsured drivers, even if they were at fault in the collision. And uninsured drivers don't always have to pay for damages they inflict.

That's what happened in a Toronto accident in June 2005.

Petal Seetal walked out the door of her Driftwood Ave. home en route to her high school to check out her final grades for the school year.

She had already taken a few steps into the intersection of Jane St. and Driftwood Ave. when Oswald Quiroz Jr., a teenaged driver in his father's uninsured Honda Civic, ran a red light and took Seetal's legs out from under her.

Seetal was left clinging to the hood of Quiroz's car as he barrelled out of control through the intersection, smashing into a parked taxicab and throwing the teenaged girl to the ground. Quiroz was subsequently convicted of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

Seetal, who had no insurance of her own, was left with a fractured pelvis and a head injury that resulted in anxiety, depression, chronic headaches and rehabilitation bills that included an occupational and speech-language therapist.

Though he was at fault in the accident, Quiroz did not have to pay for any of the $200,000 needed for Seetal's rehabilitation. In the end, it was the insurer of the idle taxicab that paid up.

According to data obtained and analyzed by the Star, the MVAC Fund processed 22,808 successful claims for a total of $53,861,542.62 between Jan. 1, 2005, and Dec. 31, 2009.

Of the millions spent, $16,716,226.40 went directly tothe uninsured drivers themselves, covering lost income and rehabilitation and medical expenses.

The rest went tocovering the recovery of pedestrians injured by uninsured motorists or to passengers injured in the uninsured motorists' car.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

What kind of backward rear end province doesn't have no-fault insurance? In any sane country the other party not being insured shouldn't be the victims problem.

He was talking about insurance covering claims from a passenger I believe, not another driver. If my uber driver makes a mistake and I get injured, what are my options? I sue the driver, his personal insurance company tells him to gently caress off, I sue him personally, he declares bankruptcy and I can't work anymore and now I live on the street because I tried to save 5 bucks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

He was talking about insurance covering claims from a passenger I believe, not another driver. If my uber driver makes a mistake and I get injured, what are my options? I sue the driver, his personal insurance company tells him to gently caress off, I sue him personally, he declares bankruptcy and I can't work anymore and now I live on the street because I tried to save 5 bucks.

That's the gist, yes.

flakeloaf posted:

Or maybe not.

Yeah...

Also this gem: Uber claims $5 million in coverage, how does it work? No one knows because you can't claim it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ikantski posted:

I think if you have your own car insurance, then your own no-fault coverage would kick in, and possibly your under/uninsured and/or unknown driver coverage as well. You can also get a provision (commonly called SEF 44 family endorsement) that tops up over that.

Not everyone who uses Uber is going to have car insurance but many will.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Uber is also getting sued in the US under antitrust laws for price-fixing. Because they don't claim their drivers as employees, the people suing them are arguing that essentially Uber and all of their drivers are conspiring to fix prices by obeying the Uber algorithm (which frequently decides to increase prices in time of high demand), instead of the individual drivers competing with each other to offer lower prices to customers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Ontario has an assistance fund for uninsured drivers and their victims.

That's good, I didn't know about that one. Let's hope there's enough cash in the kitty to cover the increased load from UberX commercializing uninsured driving.

Does Alberta have the same thing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

Uber is also getting sued in the US under antitrust laws for price-fixing. Because they don't claim their drivers as employees, the people suing them are arguing that essentially Uber and all of their drivers are conspiring to fix prices by obeying the Uber algorithm (which frequently decides to increase prices in time of high demand), instead of the individual drivers competing with each other to offer lower prices to customers.

That's actually really clever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

That's pretty cool.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Regulations and red tape and technicalities trying to stop the *~*DISRUPTIVE ECONOMY*~* :bahgawd:

Seriously though gently caress Uber, my only question will be if they manage to get to the end of a trial without having burned through their gigantic pile of cash first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

He wasn't at fault and there were no injuries to his passengers. Under what theory would he be eligible to claim any part of the $5mil liability policy provided by Uber?

Liability is there for when you gently caress up and damage things/people, not to fix your car when you've been in an accident. Is it possible that most people just don't understand how insurance works?

It's possible the Uber-provided liability policy is just smoke and mirrors, but I don't think the case in the story really has anything to do with it at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

It's possible the Uber-provided liability policy is just smoke and mirrors, but I don't think the case in the story really has anything to do with it at all.

It's illustrative of the fact that Uber has no interest in educating their "driver partners" about the insurance coverage they have or need beyond a **$5 Million** bullet point in their advertising.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
After decades of Access to Information requests and some serious digging by a whole generation of researchers Library Archives Canada finally released the military records of James "Logan" Howlett

quote:

Logan was born in 1882 in Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada, to wealthy landowner Elizabeth Howlett and her grounds-keeper Thomas Logan.

Logan’s journals provide valuable insight into his early life in Canada, including work as a miner in a British Columbia stone quarry, a fur trader for the Hudson's Bay Company, and a homesteader in the Canadian Rockies. His military career spanned multiple conflicts, making his personnel records an unprecedented study in Canadian military history. Logan was gravely wounded in action many times, and gained a reputation as a gritty survivor.

Quick Facts

• WWI: captain in the Canadian Armed Forces (Devil's Brigade). Fought at Ypres in 1915. Wounded by a sword through the chest.
• WWII: Returned to the Devil’s Brigade in the Second World War, as an allied spy and paratrooper for the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion during the Normandy landings on D-Day.
• Cold War: based in Ottawa and Calgary, worked for both CSIS and the CIA.
• Logan later changed his operative name to ‘Wolverine’, and worked with various NGOs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's illustrative of the fact that Uber has no interest in educating their "driver partners" about the insurance coverage they have or need beyond a **$5 Million** bullet point in their advertising.

It's illustrative of the fact that Uber drivers are retarded, more like. How do you own a car without knowing the difference between liability insurance, collision and comprehensive?

Uber probably thinks, and I would argue they are correct, that explaining the insurance as "$5 mil. liability when carrying passengers" is quite sufficient in terms of explanation. How is it their problem that drivers don't understand how insurance works?

EDIT: Do insurance companies get yelled at all the time when people find out their liability-only policy will not pay to have their car fixed after an accident? More importantly: does anyone blame the insurance company?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 1, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Cmon archives. The devil's brigade was a WWII special forces unit made up of Canadians and Americans.

Also surprised no mention of weapon x, Alpha Flight, him meeting PET, or his work alongside a fellow from Regina named Wilson

(But actually well done)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Can't confirm the existence of any of that bunny, sounds like pure fiction to me!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Look I have access to secret files stored in acid free plastic in long boxes guarded by a man with a fedora and neckbeard. It is highly priveldged info.

Edit: for real devil's brigade was a real WWII unit of badasses

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Do insurance companies get yelled at all the time when people find out their liability-only policy will not pay to have their car fixed after an accident? More importantly: does anyone blame the insurance company?

All the drat time.

Still doesn't fix the car.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

It's illustrative of the fact that Uber drivers are retarded, more like. How do you own a car without knowing the difference between liability insurance, collision and comprehensive?

Uber probably thinks, and I would argue they are correct, that explaining the insurance as "$5 mil. liability when carrying passengers" is quite sufficient in terms of explanation. How is it their problem that drivers don't understand how insurance works?

So you can't imagine what the insurance issues are, but when you're given a direct example (drivers aren't getting commercial insurance, there's no enforcement of insurance requirements, and riders are exposed to massive financial risk because of it), you claim it's the driver's fault so there's no problem?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

tom stop
https://twitter.com/ThomasMulcair/status/715872579744043008

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I like that #YOLO translates to #why not? in French.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Should've done this before the election.

Men with beards can't be trusted.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Tom Mulcair is the Nickleback of the Canadian centre-right.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dreylad posted:

After decades of Access to Information requests and some serious digging by a whole generation of researchers Library Archives Canada finally released the military records of James "Logan" Howlett

Normally April Fools jokes are pretty lame but this is fantastic. Thank you for posting it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So you can't imagine what the insurance issues are, but when you're given a direct example (drivers aren't getting commercial insurance, there's no enforcement of insurance requirements, and riders are exposed to massive financial risk because of it), you claim it's the driver's fault so there's no problem?

1) There is no insurance issue in that case, though. There is no evidence that, if the passengers were actually injured, Uber's liability policy wouldn't have paid out*. That's the only thing I care about as a passenger. It's the driver's choice whether to carry collision or comprehensive. How is that my problem?

2) Point 1 aside, I think Uber drivers should get commercial insurance, and I do think it should be enforced. All the proposed regulatory frameworks have ways of dealing with that, though. The issues I was originally referring to is multiple people claiming that there doesn't exist a suitable insurance product for Uber drivers, which is completely false.

* I am still suspicious of Uber's liability policy, though. Do you have a link to a case where damages that should've been covered under a liability policies were not covered by Uber's liability policy when an Uber driver was carrying passengers? I've only heard cases where either it's not a liability claim, or it was during a time when the Uber driver was not carrying passengers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

* I am still suspicious of Uber's liability policy, though. Do you have a link to a case where damages that should've been covered under a liability policies were not covered by Uber's liability policy when an Uber driver was carrying passengers? I've only heard cases where either it's not a liability claim, or it was during a time when the Uber driver was not carrying passengers.

As well you should be, since they refuse to release any information on the specifics of their insurance, claiming it's a trade secret. There's this http://gas2.org/2015/08/04/how-does-ubers-driver-insurance-work-exactly/ from California, but it's not easy to find stories about Uber actually paying or otherwise. Odd that.

Suffice it to say, we're not the only ones raising these concerns.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If someone was injured while riding in an Uber cab, and insurance wasn't willing to pay up, you better believe they'll be going after Uber directly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spent last Saturday doing some campaigning for the provincial conservatives because gently caress 20 year dynasties

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TheKingofSprings posted:

Spent last Saturday doing some campaigning for the provincial conservatives because gently caress 20 year dynasties

Ontario?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manitoba

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Your face is going to be so red when Manitoba faces a yurt shortage in four years.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/tom-mulcair-donald-trump-fascist-1.3513166

Tom Mulcair calls Donald Trump a 'fascist,' urges Trudeau to denounce him

https://twitter.com/ThomasMulcair/status/715554567270739969

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I have a small sheaf of paper that says an insurance company has promised to compensate me if I get in a collision or my house burns down and I'm not terribly confident that they wouldn't fight me if I tried to make a claim - not because I necessarily mistrust this insurance company or the industry in general but just because I know how much easier it is to promise than to do. A few words on a website saying they totally have super-secret insurance that'll way definitely cover you dude isn't worth squat.

Of more local import, if anyone in Ottawa likes Native fiction or storytelling, and you haven't already read Waubgeshig Rice's Midnight Sweatlodge, just ask and I'll give you my copy. Waub's a pretty good storyteller (and not a bad twitter man either) and it took me a while after reading it to come up with something more articulate than "Holy poo poo, dude."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

El Scotch posted:

If someone was injured while riding in an Uber cab, and insurance wasn't willing to pay up, you better believe they'll be going after Uber directly.

Good luck winning a legal battle against Uber. THey have $50B in the bank and nothing to spend it on except legal fees.

This is also why so many municipalities are unwilling to go after them, because Uber can outspend pretty much anyone in a legal battle.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The reply tweets are pretty brutal.

I've gotta say that Mulcair's behavior here is really just reinforcing all my negative opinions of him. If his idea of a reset is to shave his beard and call Trump a fascist then that really just tells us that he isn't capable of running a different kind of campaign than the one he ran in 2015.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Becuase a reform era conservative who wants to ban Halloween is so much better :rolleyes:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

Becuase a reform era conservative who wants to ban Halloween is so much better :rolleyes:

The desire to do something does not translate into an ability to do something. While it's a stupid thing he wants to do, it is also a stupid thing to be worried about.

While I am sure he is a big dumbo, perhaps his Halloween plank isn't the part of the platform to attack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ikantski posted:

Storyland freaks me out every single time I drive past it to get my cheap french beer.
Ah, another patron of the Portage du Fort Dépanneur.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBC is reporting that Jean Lapierre and 4 family members were travelling on that plane that crashed to attend his father's funeral. I don't think it can get much shittier than that, like, ever. :smith:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

PT6A posted:

CBC is reporting that Jean Lapierre and 4 family members were travelling on that plane that crashed to attend his father's funeral. I don't think it can get much shittier than that, like, ever. :smith:

Welcome to 2-3 days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jordan7hm posted:

Should've done this before the election.

Men with beards can't be trusted.

Excellent native cockney wit.