Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
As a child I spent an unhealthy amount of time on the McFarlane Toys website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same. I was a regular on those forums. Good times.

In hindsight though, really hosed up times. Goddamn did they say some weird poo poo to any woman poster who came to the site. Yikes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
WoAh did you guys hear??? Batman is DEAD

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Tiberius Christ posted:

Spawn's face mask transforming isn't the best CGI but it still looks neat.

How is this better than the Green Lantern mask?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rough Lobster posted:

I'd say it's not, but it's been made some 15 years before Green Lantern so you can't really compare them like that.

Also, what was Ebert smoking when he wrote that review? It's like his one positive point about the movie is that it has great special effects.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

If you're saying it's on par with that mask, that's way more of a slam on Green Lantern than it is on Spawn considering the latter was made a decade and a half earlier.

It's not great, obviously, but it's not that bad either. Especially considering the effects in the rest of that film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

I always liked the look of Spawn. Never read the comics, but for some reason I bought all those drat action figures. I think they're forever stuck in boxes.

These were neat though.

Snowman_McK posted:

As a child I spent an unhealthy amount of time on the McFarlane Toys website.

Us 3 probably would have been good friends as kids. I always bought 2 of every Spawn figure so I could keep one in the box and have one open. All the figures I opened have since been passed down to my cousins and/or donated. All my boxed McFarlane figures are in storage. Last I looked, most of them aren't really worth anything haha. I think one that's worth the most is a 12" Medieval Spawn. I bought it for I think $25 and now it's worth $100? The Metal Gear Solid McFarlane figures I have might be worth a lot too I guess. All the rest are just relics of my childhood.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My screen name came from a McFarlane toy. Well, McFarlane figure based on a movie. For whatever reason it will forever be my screen name.

I actually went shopping at Tradesmart (Hastings)and Todd McFarlane was there signing stuff. Kinda weird. Shame they kinda sold out and only make boring Walking Dead stuff now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I still have my Solid Snake and predator action figures facing off against the queen alien somewhere in my basement. Freddy and Jason and Spawn are on my upstairs bookshelf. They all need to be propped up because McFarlane toys can't stand for poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

It makes me wonder what's wrong with Amy Nicholson that she not only subjects herself to doing it with him, but seems to actually like him.

It's a profoundly frustrating experience. I've listened to Sean Hannity for longer without turning it off.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Hollismason posted:

People here hating on Spawn is ridiculous you know you loving loved that movie when you saw it in the theaters, don't be all " Oh I always thought it was poo poo".

Nope, I hands on heart came out of the cinema thinking it was one of the poorest films I had seen in my life at that point. And time has not been any kinder to it. Like holy gently caress, just that opening setup bit alone was the closest I've come to walking out on a film, it was SO BAD. Fair play though, Leguizamo was delightful in it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/BruceWayne5150/status/715920983404711936

https://twitter.com/FanboyCollect/status/715933145456058369

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't see any jokes in those photos.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I see dead soldiers, this movie is already too grimdark for me. :colbert:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Why can't a film about World War I be fun?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HorseRenoir posted:

Look at this grimdark fucker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPjg4HHye0

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Have Wonder Woman pick up a newspaper with the headline "World War 1: Hundreds Killed in Four Year War" near the end so we know its just a light hearted but meaningful movie where the superheroes act like superheroes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
She's going to make some amazing quip before bouncing into hiding for 100 years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

She's going to make some amazing quip before bouncing into hiding for 100 years.

"So I said 'Kaiser? I hardly know her!'"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
where was wonder woman during world war 2

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sentinel Red posted:

Nope, I hands on heart came out of the cinema thinking it was one of the poorest films I had seen in my life at that point. And time has not been any kinder to it. Like holy gently caress, just that opening setup bit alone was the closest I've come to walking out on a film, it was SO BAD. Fair play though, Leguizamo was delightful in it.

Leguizamo and Jai White pretty much carry that movie on their backs, honestly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zzulu posted:

According to BvS, she left the world of men.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Going out on a high note like George Costanza.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Yaws posted:

It's so loving stupid. Why would they charge at each other like it's a medieval battle? What would Hawkeye gain from running straight at Iron Man?

Not my hawkeye

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zzulu posted:

Wonder Woman did nothing wrong.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Wonder Woman's going to be dope because it's obviously inspired by propaganda posters of the time.

I hope the villain is a massive baboon wearing a Prussian helmet with "MILITARISM" written on it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gorn Myson posted:

Have Wonder Woman pick up a newspaper with the headline "World War 1: Hundreds Killed in Four Year War" near the end so we know its just a light hearted but meaningful movie where the superheroes act like superheroes.

Make that article be page 10, front page can be pizza rat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I hope the villain is a massive baboon wearing a Prussian helmet with "MILITARISM" written on it.

They're saving evil apes for The Flash!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

We all do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

According to BvS, she left the world of men.

The Germans definitely took over Lesbos during WWII. Story doesn't check out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

I always liked the look of Spawn. Never read the comics, but for some reason I bought all those drat action figures. I think they're forever stuck in boxes.

These were neat though.

One of these toys is not like the others.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That one toy was impossible to find, according to the nerds. They needed it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Zzulu posted:

Hitler had the Spear of Destiny and used it to keep superheroes away.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

Where were the superheroes during the Rape of Nanking, the Holodomor, the Mau Mau uprising, the partition of India, the Balkan wars of the 1990s, and the Second Congo War? The Spear of Destiny certainly got around.

Yaws posted:

It's so loving stupid. Why would they charge at each other like it's a medieval battle? What would Hawkeye gain from running straight at Iron Man?
Scenes like these happen all the loving the time in comic books. They make for great splash pages. Remember this splash page from Green Lantern?

We know the power rings can hit a target many light years away (the Sinestro Corps has a guy that specializes in this). So why do they always fight in melee?

Also, this is a panel from an Avengers comic:

We see here fragile human(ish) characters like Iron First, Black Widow, and Hawkeye charging into close combat with superbeings like Thor and Ares and Sentry.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 2, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kurzon posted:

Where were the superheroes during the Rape of Nanking, the Holodomor, the Mau Mau uprising, the partition of India, the Balkan wars of the 1990s, and the Second Congo War? The Spear of Destiny certainly got around.

Scenes like these happen all the loving the time in comic books. They make for great splash pages. Remember this splash page from Green Lantern?

We know the power rings can hit a target many light years away (the Sinestro Corps has a guy that specializes in this). So why do they always fight in melee?

Because being a Lantern can get pretty lonely and melee-ing is one of the few chances anyone has to get into contact with others. It's a social event!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it makes it a lot easier to vomit blood on some other guy

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Because being a Lantern can get pretty lonely and melee-ing is one of the few chances anyone has to get into contact with others. It's a social event!
Except for Mogo, obviously.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

the scene itself isn't the problem, the real issue is who shows the actual run up? The clash is the important part, showing them actually running at each other looks silly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batman v Superman had an 81% drop this Friday compared to its opening day. Taking away Thursday previews, it's still a 71.5% drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Codependent Poster posted:

Batman v Superman had an 81% drop this Friday compared to its opening day. Taking away Thursday previews, it's still a 71.5% drop.

:___(

SWING UP! I'm gonna go support it again!

• Locked thread