Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It would not be difficult, Mein Führer. Nuclear reactors could - heh, I'm sorry, Mr. President - nuclear reactors could provide power almost indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

It would not be difficult, Mein Führer. Nuclear reactors could - heh, I'm sorry, Mr. President - nuclear reactors could provide power almost indefinitely.

Well, yeah.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joementum posted:

World Super Villain conference?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wouldn't the probability of terrorists getting any sort of nuke be really low in wake of 9/11?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Grouchio posted:

Wouldn't the probability of terrorists getting any sort of nuke be really low in wake of 9/11?

Russia, Pakistan and Eastern Europe still exist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kro-Bar posted:

We've seen the same documentary, I see.

Kevin Costner really manages to look like cliff clavin in that poster.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

China's also apparently sitting on a huge stockpile of cotton, because when the bottom fell out of it a few years ago the government started buying it all up to sell it at a later date and to prop up the value. Flash forward a few years and the price is still around the same but unlike, you know, metal cotton rots. Especially if stored improperly, which tends to happen when a government starts ordering folks to buy it up by the bale. Apparently, the plan now is to just unload it all on the market soon just to get rid of it all. Looking forward to getting blue jeans for, like, ten bucks in the near future.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Grouchio posted:

You don't need nuclear weapons for a nuclear disaster. America's nuclear waste has been piling up in less well-guarded "temporary" storage locations since reactors started operating, because finding a permanent repository is politically impossible. Set off a conventional bomb there and you won't kill a million people, but you'll cause an ecological disaster that will scare the poo poo out of America and likely veer us into an extra war or two at the minimum.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Joementum posted:

A nice supercut of Senator Spaceman Bill asking questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36yQgVYpLQ

I thought for a second Spaceman Bill Lee was a senator, and was trying to figure out why I couldn't remember that happening.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 1, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Meat Recital posted:

I thought for a second Spaceman Bill Lee was a senator, and was trying to figure out why I couldn't remember that happening.

Barry Allen hosed with the timestream again.

Which explains Trump.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ImpAtom posted:

Pretend this:

just replace everything with Obama.

And, as I always say, it's entirely possible to attribute the invention of social media to Captain America / Captain America Comics. His 'Captain America Hotline' forum in the 80s-90s was a socially promoted relay - important calls to him were attested to and passed along by people who felt they were important.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Evil Fluffy posted:

Which is more than can be said about DeBlasio, who seems to be much more chummy with the NYPD after they turned their backs on him and he caved rather than fire and replace a bunch of petulant racist children with guns. If DeBlasio doesn't get blown away in his reelection I'll be surprised. He seems like he's compromised or just not given a gently caress compared to how he campaigned.

Arresting a postal worker while on duty and without cause then hitting another loving vehicle while your prisoner isn't belted in should land all those plainclothes assholes in gen pop at Rikers but nothing's going to happen to them aside from desk duty unless the Feds can and do decide to go after them, and hopefully they do.

Apparently, the US Postal Service has a law enforcement arm which can investigate and make arrests.

And it's the oldest federal law enforcement agency :eng101:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lote posted:

Apparently, the US Postal Service has a law enforcement arm which can investigate and make arrests.

The USPS arresting cops would be the greatest thing ever.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Academician Nomad posted:

You don't need nuclear weapons for a nuclear disaster. America's nuclear waste has been piling up in less well-guarded "temporary" storage locations since reactors started operating, because finding a permanent repository is politically impossible. Set off a conventional bomb there and you won't kill a million people, but you'll cause an ecological disaster that will scare the poo poo out of America and likely veer us into an extra war or two at the minimum.

How's the waste stored? Unless it's being stored in a powder form just blowing it up won't cause too much of a mess.

Correct me if I'm wrong; I ain't got no fancy pants nuclear physics edumacation.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Khisanth Magus posted:

The USPS arresting cops would be the greatest thing ever.

They also have a branch dedicated to this exact situation:

quote:

External Crime & Violent Crime Teams: The External Crimes Function of USPIS is a function that investigates any theft of US mail by non employees, assaults of postal employees and theft and robberies of postal property. This function also investigates robberies of postal employees and postal facilities, burglaries of postal facilities, and assaults and murders against postal employees. This investigative function focuses on ensuring that the sanctity and trust in the U.S. Mail system is maintained.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Lote posted:

From knowing people that work/have worked for the post office people laugh at the thought of the "postal police" yea don't mess with them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Governor of Alabama is even more hosed, looks like he was using the State's dignitary security division to protect his side piece.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/04/gov_bentley_hit_with_2nd_ethic.html#incart_m-rpt-2

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Litany Unheard posted:

How's the waste stored? Unless it's being stored in a powder form just blowing it up won't cause too much of a mess.

Correct me if I'm wrong; I ain't got no fancy pants nuclear physics edumacation.
A dirty bomb would cause a lot of fear because people are really loving stupid about *atoms*, and there's be an increase in cancer in the explosion area, but other than that it wouldn't be all that much worse than a conventional bombing.

We would of course turn ISIL to paste in the aftermath (no other organized group would be dumb enough to do something suicidally stupid like that), but that wouldn't be any different from what we're already doing, just faster.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 2, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the thing was that terrorists didn't really get anything useful out of a nuke, because they would kill a whole bunch of people and then be squashed shortly thereafter. Now this does kind of accord with Daesh's ideology more than most, but I thought even they wanted a specific battle in a specific region, not a general mega-showdown.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Lote posted:

There's a whole exhibit about them in the National Postal Museum in DC.

Another fun fact: There's a National Postal Museum in DC :v: It's actually pretty neat and fairly easy to get to. Certainly worth an hour or two if you've got time to kill around Union Station.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

A dirty bomb would cause a lot of fear because people are really loving stupid about *atoms*, and there's be an increase in cancer in the explosion area, but other than that it wouldn't be all that much worse than a conventional bombing.

We would of course turn ISIL to paste in the aftermath (no other organized group would be dumb enough to do something suicidally stupid like that), but that wouldn't be any different from what we're already doing, just faster.

Yeah, the US has made it abundantly clear that if you use anything even remotely chemical / biological / nuclear on us we'll have zero reservation about just strait up nuking you right the gently caress back.

Multiple times.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only just affair is my affair.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, the US has made it abundantly clear that if you use anything even remotely chemical / biological / nuclear on us we'll have zero reservation about just strait up nuking you right the gently caress back.

Multiple times.

I dunno about that. Nuking a large swathe of the middle east would hurt our interest.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Litany Unheard posted:

I have doubts that they could get access to weapons that would even get through the casing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joementum posted:

I remember thinking the set for the war room scene in Dr. Strangelove was ridiculous.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Dirty bombs are only slightly more realistic of a threat than "computer viruses to turn your computer into a bomb", if only because the former is actually technically achievable.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

I thought the thing was that terrorists didn't really get anything useful out of a nuke, because they would kill a whole bunch of people and then be squashed shortly thereafter. Now this does kind of accord with Daesh's ideology more than most, but I thought even they wanted a specific battle in a specific region, not a general mega-showdown.
ISIL has actually changed their tune on that one. Here's how it went:

-ISIL taunted the US to "bring your planes".
-The US brought our planes.
-ISIL lost their asses in Kobani as a result.
-Ahrar Al-Sham (Nusra-linked Salafist Syrian rebel group) mocked ISIL for getting what they asked for:

-ISIL is continuing to lose their asses on basically every front, and have been for like a year.
-ISIL now thoroughly regrets taunting the US to "bring your planes".

And good news: they're the only ones dumb enough to entertain the idea of a dirty bomb, and they already regret kicking the hornet's nest the first time; they're not going to try it again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

Dirty bombs are only slightly more realistic of a threat than "computer viruses to turn your computer into a bomb", if only because the former is actually technically achievable.

I thought a dirty bomb was just a bunch of radioactive waste/material packed around conventional explosives

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

The only just affair is my affair.

I dunno about that. Nuking a large swathe of the middle east would hurt our interest.

Never underestimate the blood lust of the US after someone starts poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For the next three hours, C-SPAN 3 is airing archival primary debates. I love that the candidates got their own desk with a lamp at this WV primary debate from 1960.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Don't worry, the state is making sure residents don't feel the pain too much: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/apr/01/kansas-utility-increase-home-and-school-rates-cut-/

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Imagine using dirty bombs or more isn't a good recruiting tool either. Hard to get people interested in hearing about your group when you're famous for something like that.

Though they're not exactly that smart.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Lote posted:

Yeah, they're still operating under 19th century laws that never got updated. They probably can still administer corporal punishment.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Daesh has already shown themselves willing to use chemical weapons on the Kurds though, but I guess old habits die hard.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

For the next three hours, C-SPAN 3 is airing archival primary debates. I love that the candidates got their own desk with a lamp at this WV primary debate from 1960.

:3:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joementum posted:

Thanks for the reminder Joe. I had forgotten already about this and it sounds like a real interesting night.

It will be interesting to see what may have been problems that are still happening.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Hootington posted:

It will be interesting to see what may have been problems that are still happening.

They started by talking about how automation is leading to job cuts. Seems relevant today.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Worth it already for Kennedy holding a can of eggs.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Joementum posted:

They started by talking about how automation is leading to job cuts. Seems relevant today.

The only difference is back then someone actually proposed a universal income.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/maddow/status/716060112931184640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Do we have a betting pool for this set up on what this revelation will be yet?

• Locked thread