Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I don't care if it means I can't solo the 1* node on dpd any more with just juggernaut, they need to loving tone down the scaling on 1* heroes. 1* venom / juggs are the biggest horseshit combo to ever have to face in any pve node and the higher level they get the less fun they are the play against. a cheap team-wide stun and a cheap direct damage move and mountains of health to burn through are just the dumbest things to fight against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

homeless poster posted:

I don't care if it means I can't solo the 1* node on dpd any more with just juggernaut, they need to loving tone down the scaling on 1* heroes. 1* venom / juggs are the biggest horseshit combo to ever have to face in any pve node and the higher level they get the less fun they are the play against. a cheap team-wide stun and a cheap direct damage move and mountains of health to burn through are just the dumbest things to fight against
If D3 weren't D3 about everything else (constant 4*/5* churn, dropped support for the 2/3* tiers outside of championing existing at all, changes to modes to make them harder and less fun in general) I'd say just the idea of above-player-reachable scaling for characters you can use is one of the biggest horseshit things this game throws at you, since it's straight up "this character is only good now because we're throwing bigger numbers on it than you can ever get, and we can because it's our game." It's like playing D&D with a DM who just adds a 0 to the end of his monsters' hit points For Challenge: we know you CAN do it, but it's lazy as hell.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I do like that team-ups and power-ups are either vestigial and useless or basically mandatory but still pointless.

either you have a try-hard alliance who can donate max covered, cherry picked heroes all day, or you get stuck with the crap covered, under-leveled rando trash the game throws at you sporadically. it makes an entire type of AP gems dead weight on the board, doubly so because very few heroes do anything interesting with team-up AP either; 2* capt. marvel, black panther, & 4* cyc are the only ones that immediately come to mind. no hero actually focuses on team-up AP as one of their featured match damage types, as far as I am aware.

likewise the power-up options are either meaningless (who on earth has ever used the bonus to crit tile damage?) or borderline game-changing. you fill out your boost slots with the +2 All AP and whatever other +2 AP colors you need to get a decisive win on a match, and every other type of boost will cap out at 30 and then just sit in your boost folder doing gently caress all for you. it's not like they get converted to iso or do anything once you cap them out. why do they even exist? the fact that the bonus to crit tile damage is still a reward for missions now that the 20 ISO reward got canned is just insulting.

the weird thing is that d3 could definitely come up with better / more interesting things that do similar and/or better functions for both team-ups and boosts, and they could even build the replacement functions in such a way that people might spend money on them but instead they seem loving determined to just make the core game experience worse and worse. it's so loving weird to watch as a user

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

skipdogg posted:

Antman is awesome...... Once you get him fully covered and at a high level. Single cover antman (or any 4* really) is not that great

edit: Patch PVP scores were insane. I set a personal best of 1667 pts and came in 27th in my bracket. Top guy in my bracket hit 3862 pts.

XMenOne scored 65,474 points in the PVP for #1 Alliance, their lowest scoring person had 2212 points.

I burned a lot of HP on shields for the event, but I stick in slice 4 when the end time changes on that Sun-Wed event. Probably spent 700HP or so.

As much as I want to be frustrated, they spent a lot of money to do poo poo like that. so power to them I guess.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

homeless poster posted:

I do like that team-ups and power-ups are either vestigial and useless or basically mandatory but still pointless.

either you have a try-hard alliance who can donate max covered, cherry picked heroes all day, or you get stuck with the crap covered, under-leveled rando trash the game throws at you sporadically. it makes an entire type of AP gems dead weight on the board, doubly so because very few heroes do anything interesting with team-up AP either; 2* capt. marvel, black panther, & 4* cyc are the only ones that immediately come to mind. no hero actually focuses on team-up AP as one of their featured match damage types, as far as I am aware.

likewise the power-up options are either meaningless (who on earth has ever used the bonus to crit tile damage?) or borderline game-changing. you fill out your boost slots with the +2 All AP and whatever other +2 AP colors you need to get a decisive win on a match, and every other type of boost will cap out at 30 and then just sit in your boost folder doing gently caress all for you. it's not like they get converted to iso or do anything once you cap them out. why do they even exist? the fact that the bonus to crit tile damage is still a reward for missions now that the 20 ISO reward got canned is just insulting.

the weird thing is that d3 could definitely come up with better / more interesting things that do similar and/or better functions for both team-ups and boosts, and they could even build the replacement functions in such a way that people might spend money on them but instead they seem loving determined to just make the core game experience worse and worse. it's so loving weird to watch as a user

The sad thing is team-up tiles are a MASSIVE improvement over the environmental tiles the game had when it first came out. Also I think you needed like 30 covers to max out a character?

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

homeless poster posted:

(who on earth has ever used the bonus to crit tile damage?)

I did back when I used 1* Hawkeye a lot :haw:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Just lost the last node of Arctic quest on my first try. 77 muscle gets off a threaten, matches start doing 800 damage a piece, and ai got a cascade with three critical tiles that wiped my entire team. My levels were 104, 101, and 168. Then I quit my next attempt on the fifth turn since I was going to be unable to match away a threaten tile and the board was half purples for Bullseye to use.

Besides any symbiote Maggia muscles are the worst loving mobs in the game. Last event a symbiote team wiped me with a 24000 damage cascade after filling the board with garbage I couldn't match away because the board sucked cock. Getting real sick of your horseshit d3.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

That is one of the main reasons I stick to PvP, mostly. They have taken to pairing up the most annoying characters or giving a character a couple of goons to feed it's specials. I still feel like the initial difficulty is too high and the rewards are too spread out. They should give one round of grey / green nodes to start with. I was running into green / yellow right off the bat. Super frustrating and not fun.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Critical posted:

ai got a cascade with three critical tiles that wiped my entire team.

that's pretty much the worst feeling right there, when the AI makes some dumb match 3 with nothing else on the board and all the sudden winds up with a board clearing cascade with 30 AP in all colors and next round uses every hero power and wipes you. it's cool because there was no amount of skill or strategy you could have employed to prevent that! they might as well program the game to just randomly reset and boot you to the mission select screen 5% of the time, with no other explanation.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Today's DPD wave-3* is basically an April Fool's joke because it's quick and easy and not a giant poo poo pile of agony-gimmicks and tiers. We can make this good! HAHA GOTCHA TOMORROW'S BACK TO ULTRON BOTS AND SYMBIOTES ALTERNATING WITH 4/5 STARS

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SectumSempra posted:

As much as I want to be frustrated, they spent a lot of money to do poo poo like that. so power to them I guess.

I'm pretty sure the top guys all bought at least 2 Starks during the sale

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

CidGregor posted:

They did say they're making it easier across the board, which was the main problem with it. I'm mostly okay with the new system if the overall difficulty is lower like they claim. We'll see, I guess.

Unrelatedly, Bone Rangers currently has another slot open if any goons are looking for a casual no-pressure alliance.

I just applied to the Alliance as Iceman2343 (I think) after coming back to the game after a while.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

If they implement the new system permanently I'm pretty much done with the game.

They toned the difficulty down, but the time sink needed to place well is massively increased. On the old system I could play while taking a poo poo, finish all the nodes, and then grind a few essential runs before bed and get a token and hero points basically guaranteed as long as I signed up on the last slice. Now I have to spend at least twice that to get a heroic token, at minimum. Right now I'm sitting at 597th place with no desire to play the same nodes for a couple hours to get a token that will pull another loving 2* Ms Marvel.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Critical posted:

If they implement the new system permanently I'm pretty much done with the game.

They toned the difficulty down, but the time sink needed to place well is massively increased. On the old system I could play while taking a poo poo, finish all the nodes, and then grind a few essential runs before bed and get a token and hero points basically guaranteed as long as I signed up on the last slice. Now I have to spend at least twice that to get a heroic token, at minimum. Right now I'm sitting at 597th place with no desire to play the same nodes for a couple hours to get a token that will pull another loving 2* Ms Marvel.

:ssh: as your roster evolves it becomes harder and harder to luck into the baby brackets that let you win tokens and HP by the bucket from only playing on the toilet. this has nothing to do with the pve changes they're messing with. once you've been in the game long enough, you start to get put into the general population brackets for pve, and those are almost exclusively dominated by try-hard alliances and poop-sock single players. you can sometimes drop into the baby brackets for a single pve event if you tank your ranking to like sub 600s for 3-4 entire events.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Hey all. Played this game for a good year or so before I gave up in November after getting sick of the grind. Has much changed since then? I sometimes get the urge to pick it up again.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Auk14HP posted:

Hey all. Played this game for a good year or so before I gave up in November after getting sick of the grind. Has much changed since then? I sometimes get the urge to pick it up again.

I've quit before and am enjoying it now. I'll probably take a long break again some time.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Auk14HP posted:

it's the same game with minor cosmetic changes. you know what you're in for if you get back into it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This game gave me another loving Ghost Rider.

Why does it keep on giving me Ghost Rider. My Cyclops and Jean Grey only have 2 covers apiece while this fucker is 1/3/4.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Today's 4* DDQ is against an underpowered hulk. I did it in 2 tries with my 0/2/2 red hulk at level 106. No boosts the first time, then +100% damage, +50% red damage and +50% green damage. Got a terrible board but still squeaked through with 196 health.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

homeless poster posted:

:ssh: as your roster evolves it becomes harder and harder to luck into the baby brackets that let you win tokens and HP by the bucket from only playing on the toilet. this has nothing to do with the pve changes they're messing with. once you've been in the game long enough, you start to get put into the general population brackets for pve, and those are almost exclusively dominated by try-hard alliances and poop-sock single players. you can sometimes drop into the baby brackets for a single pve event if you tank your ranking to like sub 600s for 3-4 entire events.

The pve brackets are still based on performance.

Enter all of them, but only do one or to nodes.

If you do none, you are usually placed in the same sort of bracket.

It takes multiple low placements to get into em.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

GTO posted:

Today's 4* DDQ is against an underpowered hulk. I did it in 2 tries with my 0/2/2 red hulk at level 106. No boosts the first time, then +100% damage, +50% red damage and +50% green damage. Got a terrible board but still squeaked through with 196 health.

Thanks for the advice! I got the token, for the second time ever.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm having some luck with the new PVE. I think I'm actually going to get all of the event rewards for the first time.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

HAHAHA they actually are giving out cho as a loving reward HAHAAH

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

SectumSempra posted:

HAHAHA they actually are giving out cho as a loving reward HAHAAH

Cho?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Totally Awesome Hulk, aka Amadeus Cho, aka a not good 4 star.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

Totally Awesome Hulk, aka Amadeus Cho, aka a not good 4 star.

Oh... The PVE placement awards seem like too much effort for anymore than a nice bonus. If I could regularly earn enough points to unlock the 25 CP, I'd be happy. It feels like the new scaling is making that easier to do.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just want to drop a reminder that the Roxxon Oil alliance is looking to fill out its ranks. Very casual group, just looking to pool rewards from regular play at this point.

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

Darthemed posted:

Just want to drop a reminder that the Roxxon Oil alliance is looking to fill out its ranks. Very casual group, just looking to pool rewards from regular play at this point.

I just applied to the alliance, being a casual player myself.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Just applied as WizardForHire

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

This is your biweekly reminder that Bullseye loving destroys the Big Enchilada. He may not be useful for anything but waves, but godDAMN is he good at what he does.

My new team is bullseye, kamala, luke cage. I routinely finish with full health and a screen full of swords.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Dear intangible,
I've never seen you before in actual pvp and you can hit me for a lot of points if you catch me hopping so please spare this goonette if you see me?
Love, Rockarollica

PS: This event sucks, I'm getting beat up pretty hard

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Ignite Memories posted:

This is your biweekly reminder that Bullseye loving destroys the Big Enchilada. He may not be useful for anything but waves, but godDAMN is he good at what he does.

My new team is bullseye, kamala, luke cage. I routinely finish with full health and a screen full of swords.

I've taken to using him, Scarlet Witch, and Doc Ock. Ock of course uses enemy countdown tiles to begin taunting. SW fuels Bullseye's pink to take out characters and guarantee strike tiles, while those tiles boost Ock's passive poo poo talking to yo momma levels. The final round usually ends with Ock's green and SW's pink.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

21st Cherry boy posted:

PS: This event sucks, I'm getting beat up pretty hard

The last 2 PVP's have been brutal. I've had to start them early, rush to cupcake level and burn twice as many shields as normal, maybe 3 times as many. I'm -22 hours and have already burned a 3 and an 8.

That Ignorant Sap posted:

I've taken to using him, Scarlet Witch, and Doc Ock. Ock of course uses enemy countdown tiles to begin taunting. SW fuels Bullseye's pink to take out characters and guarantee strike tiles, while those tiles boost Ock's passive poo poo talking to yo momma levels. The final round usually ends with Ock's green and SW's pink.

It's fun finding different combos for that level. For the longest time I used 3* Thor, Blade, and 2* OBW, and that worked fine until they changed it up so the first and third level can have board moving characters in them. Lately I've been using CMags, KK and Black Panther and that's been working great.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 3, 2016

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Skipp what slice do you play? Villains inc have been taking over s5 instead of their usual s3 so I ran away to s1 with some friends this event. The bc there is a shitshow and I took a couple hits from people in the drat room.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm in S4. Great for scoring, terrible for placement. There's a couple big BC's setup for S4. I'm in one with KA and others.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Are you in the X-Men one too? I hear bad things about it. I like s5 because scores are pretty chill and most of my alliance plays there but when the villains are there ugh forget it score inflation is nuts. I did get my all-time high of 2527 in their s5 chat though haha.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Just noticed there is a spare spot in Pizza Dog if anyone is interested.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Applied. Daddy's home, babies.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Applied. Daddy's home, babies.

Are you 'phallosaurus'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

21st Cherry boy posted:

Are you in the X-Men one too? I hear bad things about it. I like s5 because scores are pretty chill and most of my alliance plays there but when the villains are there ugh forget it score inflation is nuts. I did get my all-time high of 2527 in their s5 chat though haha.

Nah, I'm not cool enough to get in the X-Men chat room. There are a few people in the room I'm in that are in there though and will check the xmen for us. Their room gets too busy so they limit the number of people in their room. They're part of the truce though.

Score inflation? What's that?