Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yaws posted:

Wrong. The Force Awakens was made for people like this:

Attractive suave people with financial security and healthy social lives.

The Star Wars prequels appealed to pathetic sad sacks like dis:

That last picture might be of our very own Cnut the Great

I like you much better as a poster now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raxivace posted:

It's kind of amazing how much better Upstream Color is.

Upstream Color is much much better.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Difficult to argue with.

Not as strong as it could have been, though. Didn't see any references to:

freshman philosophy
asperger's syndrome
edgelord
jacking it to pop po-mo bullshit
living in a basement
hating fun

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is one of those times where it's better that the humor is subtle.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 1, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

People who like TFA walk like this:

And people who like the prequels walk like this:

And people who like both...I dunno, this?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
People who like the EU walk like this:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

Least they tried.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

No, that is not my nerd archetype.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PROVE IT!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MrMojok posted:

How many of you thread hooligans have Star Wars toys? And are they on display prominently or in boxes in the attic?

A pair of my friends can't stop spending money on Star Wars stuff since the new films came out. They own multiple copies of each action figure, several of the various rolling BB-8 models (which are pretty fun to play with), have invested in quite a few t-shirts and dresses featuring logos and characters, including the "subtle" kind that can be worn business casual if no one looks at the pattern too closely. They write a lot of fan fiction about Finn and Poe getting it on, and I don't hang out with them as much anymore because every time I come over, they spend most of the afternoon on their laptops updating Tumblr rather than interacting with me. I've had some very interesting conversations about the films and their approach to feminism and minority rights, when I can get a discussion going, but the degree to which they seem to need to spend money on things to show that they really love and understand something is... odd, to say the least. The action figures are all over the bookshelf, the couch, the coffee table, the mantle, on top of the newly released novels and Making Of concept art book...

Previously, it was Avengers stuff, shipping Cap and Bucky, but since Avengers 2 sucked, a lot of the floor fell out on that. I have no idea where those toys ended up.

They are both in their mid-30s. I'd estimate they've spent at least $1-2000 on peripheral merchandise since the films came out, and show no signs of stopping.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I have 3 five-bux toys and a 20 bux Kylo Ren figure (I was really impressed that they made a toy with softgoods that dont look oversized and poo poo).

In my defense, I'm big into sculpting and models, and I'm into following how toys have evolved over the decades; it's hilarious to look at the original SW toys compared to nowadays.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress - was totally looking forward to it. Is it just a bunch of fluff? I found the TPM one so goddamn real. It's probably the best I've ever seen - even better than the Lord of the Rings stuff.

Don't get me wrong it's not bad but this movie is well made and sensibly produced. Example being George Lucas going through the amazing storyboard artwork and covering it with highlighter. In the force awakens they use post its. It's all just sensible.

The phantom menace documentary is basically a movie length version of the office. You watch it cringing that these people are making these poor desicions being glad they are not you.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

MrMojok posted:

How many of you thread hooligans have Star Wars toys? And are they on display prominently or in boxes in the attic?

I donated my Millenium Falcon replica sometime between the releases of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Still have the Micro Machine set-up for the Battle of Endor. More recently, I got a ANH metal lunchbox to keep my MtG decks in.

Theoretically, I should still have a telescoping plastic Sith light-up lightsaber somewhere.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

They write a lot of fan fiction about Finn and Poe getting it on, and I don't hang out with them as much anymore because every time I come over, they spend most of the afternoon on their laptops updating Tumblr rather than interacting with me.

loving nerds, mang, why even bother having a guest?

Filthy Casual fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 1, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Toph Bei you have bad friends.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Vintersorg posted:

Umm yeah man. Think about how long you want to spend hanging out with people that spend hours (months? :gonk: ) shipping characters.

I can't think of any star wars toys left in my home, but I would totally still have one of the LEGIT force fx lightsabers on display if I'd gotten one when I was younger.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

thrawn527 posted:

TFA is out to purchase for digital download today.

Deleted scenes are mostly pointless, but that's how they usually go. My favorite one is where Han, Chewy, Finn, and Maz are confronted by Stormtroopers, and Han makes fun of Snoke's name.

Yeah, that's the best of the bunch. I'm guessing it eventually segues into the "Maz uses the Force to bring down the ceiling" that the editors talked about which was also cut. Most of the other deleted "scenes" were complete fluff, but the Kylo on the Falcon one would have been nice to include in the movie.

The Amazon Digital Download is in a fairly ridiculous format which I'm guessing is how they usually handle these things. It's a single 4 Hour and 17 minute video file, with the movie first, followed by the documentary and then all the other shorter special features.

I'm really hoping the eventual 3D home video release has some of the other cut content which has been brought up in interviews.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 1, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bigsteve posted:

Example being George Lucas going through the amazing storyboard artwork and covering it with highlighter.

Are you serious with this? This is what you're going with?

edit: Wait a minute, you can't possibly think that was the original artwork he was marking on, can you? LOL.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

The Amazon Digital Download is in a fairly ridiculous format which I'm guessing is how they usually handle these things. It's a single 4 Hour and 17 minute video file, with the movie first, followed by the documentary and then all the other shorter special features.

That's weird. The iTunes download is basically a DVD menu.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I know. :sigh:

Been working on that. If they weren't some of the only people I knew in the area, I wouldn't see them at all. They used to be fun to hang out with about ten years ago.

Sometimes being friends with nerds is like this:

But being friends with people who are fans of being fans of things? It's weird, and I don't remember similar situations growing up. They certainly drive the engine of movie based tie in products, though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

thrawn527 posted:

That's weird. The iTunes download is basically a DVD menu.

That certainly is a lot more useful. I was viewing it via my Xbox One Amazon Video app for what it's worth. So I had to fast forward and rewind to get anywhere. Reminded me of VHS navigation 20 years ago.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Teek posted:

That certainly is a lot more useful. I was viewing it via my Xbox One Amazon Video app for what it's worth. So I had to fast forward and rewind to get anywhere. Reminded me of VHS navigation 20 years ago.

Gee, yet more pandering from JJ Abrams :rolleyes:

(I was surprised that there wasnt a notgay scene in TFA, all things considered)

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Cnut the Great posted:

Are you serious with this? This is what you're going with?

edit: Wait a minute, you can't possibly think that was the original artwork he was marking on, can you? LOL.

It's the disdain he shows and the blank looks by the staff around him. This is the tone throughout the entire thing. There are tons of moments that show why it turned out like it did. Not really going to type them all out as I would be here all day.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But being friends with people who are fans of being fans of things? It's weird, and I don't remember similar situations growing up. They certainly drive the engine of movie based tie in products, though.

How the gently caress can somebody be a fan of being a fan of something?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It ties into the "Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars" threadmeme.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A pair of my friends can't stop spending money on Star Wars stuff since the new films came out. They own multiple copies of each action figure, several of the various rolling BB-8 models (which are pretty fun to play with), have invested in quite a few t-shirts and dresses featuring logos and characters, including the "subtle" kind that can be worn business casual if no one looks at the pattern too closely. They write a lot of fan fiction about Finn and Poe getting it on, and I don't hang out with them as much anymore because every time I come over, they spend most of the afternoon on their laptops updating Tumblr rather than interacting with me. I've had some very interesting conversations about the films and their approach to feminism and minority rights, when I can get a discussion going, but the degree to which they seem to need to spend money on things to show that they really love and understand something is... odd, to say the least. The action figures are all over the bookshelf, the couch, the coffee table, the mantle, on top of the newly released novels and Making Of concept art book...

Previously, it was Avengers stuff, shipping Cap and Bucky, but since Avengers 2 sucked, a lot of the floor fell out on that. I have no idea where those toys ended up.

They are both in their mid-30s. I'd estimate they've spent at least $1-2000 on peripheral merchandise since the films came out, and show no signs of stopping.

My uncle did something like this, but with a wider range of subjects (i.e., not just film merchandise, though that was one thing). He'd find something cool, buy a whole bunch of stuff about it, then a few months later get bored with it and give away almost all of it for free. Apparently once he bought a boat even though he lives in the middle of Idaho.

That's how I got the LOTR extended editions on DVD for free the last time I visited him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bigsteve posted:

It's the disdain he shows and the blank looks by the staff around him. This is the tone throughout the entire thing. There are tons of moments that show why it turned out like it did. Not really going to type them all out as I would be here all day.

You may not have noticed but Lucas is kind of a laconic, subdued guy. Like in everything we've ever seen him in. I imagine him reacting to a house fire with "well this is a problem."

And in that scene it's basically "okay this will probably be on set, this will probably be CGI," and so on. All the "Everyone knows this is a disaster in the making and they're too terrified to speak up" is projection, like suddenly everyone's an expert at reading body language.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

It ties into the "Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars" threadmeme.

"Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars" is not a meme but an aphoristic statement that generates a Hegelian negation of negation: a shift from the notion and its distortion to the distortion constitutive of that notion.

This has been my project from the beginning. Hence, for example, the move from the notion of 'real Star Wars' vs. the prequels, to the fact that Star Wars has always resembled the prequels.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

I want you to know this is the best post you've ever made in this thread. I don't mean it as a backhanded compliment, it's great.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:agreed: that's a very funny post

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

How the gently caress can somebody be a fan of being a fan of something?

I first encountered the phrase in this article, and I can't say I agree with many of their conclusions (especially point 3). The money quote is right at the end:

quote:

“Being a fan of being a fan might be the biggest ‘emerging’ fandom today,” says Booth, “There is a kind of ‘fandom of fandom’ that emerges — people love being fans because it means being a part of something larger than yourself.”

You see people on the internet move from fandom to fandom, jumping into obsessions based on image alone, projecting their own desires into the media (hence the shipping, the fan fiction, the obsession with crossovers and mash-ups). They don't like the thing for the thing itself, they like it for the culture that surrounds it, the derivative images that are created, the version of the show/movie/comic/whatever that exists in their heads, and then dropping it when it stops conforming to that version and move onto something else.

There's nothing wrong with liking multiple things, but if you (to pick a non-random example from my aforementioned friends) quit being a fan of BBC's Sherlock because in season 3 John got married, they poked fun at obsessed fans, and they shot down the idea that John and Sherlock were secretly a gay couple, well, the problem is with you, not with the show, no matter how much commissioned fan art or t-shirts or whathaveyou you've collected peripherally, nor how extensively you've blogged about it. And that you don't want to talk about the morality involved in Sherlock's choice with what to do about not-Rupert Murdock, why John's wife is the sort of person she is, what the show's comment about season cliffhangers says about season cliffhangers in general, says loads about your engagement with the program.

I expect they'll disengage from Star Wars around the time Poe turns out to have a long lost dead girlfriend in some tie-in novel, or when it turns out Rey is evil in the next film, or when one of the extended universe movies doesn't have enough guys to ship together.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toph Bei Fong posted:

There's nothing wrong with liking multiple things, but if you (to pick a non-random example from my aforementioned friends) quit being a fan of BBC's Sherlock because in season 3 John got married, they poked fun at obsessed fans, and they shot down the idea that John and Sherlock were secretly a gay couple, well, the problem is with you, not with the show, no matter how much commissioned fan art or t-shirts or whathaveyou you've collected peripherally, nor how extensively you've blogged about it. And that you don't want to talk about the morality involved in Sherlock's choice with what to do about not-Rupert Murdock, why John's wife is the sort of person she is, what the show's comment about season cliffhangers says about season cliffhangers in general, says loads about your engagement with the program.

Oh yeah, I know a lot of people who stopped watching Doctor Who after the titular character stopped being a pretty boy they could ship with the companion.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I first encountered the phrase in this article, and I can't say I agree with many of their conclusions (especially point 3). The money quote is right at the end:

You see people on the internet move from fandom to fandom, jumping into obsessions based on image alone, projecting their own desires into the media (hence the shipping, the fan fiction, the obsession with crossovers and mash-ups). They don't like the thing for the thing itself, they like it for the culture that surrounds it, the derivative images that are created, the version of the show/movie/comic/whatever that exists in their heads, and then dropping it when it stops conforming to that version and move onto something else.

I expect they'll disengage from Star Wars around the time Poe turns out to have a long lost dead girlfriend in some tie-in novel, or when it turns out Rey is evil in the next film, or when one of the extended universe movies doesn't have enough guys to ship together.

I don't understand why this is supposed to be wrong.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bigsteve posted:

No. He marked some storyboard art--which was made into copies and pasted up on a board in a room for that specific purpose--while some of his collaborators calmly paid attention. There was nothing weird about it. What is wrong with your brain.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 2, 2016

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't understand why this is supposed to be wrong.

I wound't say it's wrong.

But it is weird to me. Another example: I like Bob Dylan. I have no interest in Dylan's latest album of Sinatra covers. It'd be weird if, upon its release, I started ranting about how much Dylan sucks now, and how he's awful and I'm never listening to him again. The latest album doesn't make Blonde on Blonde any less good. I'd be extra weird if I got rid of all my carefully collected Dylan albums and swore off him forever, because this latest album is a betrayal of everything he stood for. I just didn't buy it, and listened to some bootlegs from the era I'm interested in instead.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

The Star Wars prequels appealed to pathetic sad sacks like dis:

Are you for real? Go around asking guys who look like that what they think of the prequels and I guarantee 99% of them will commence ranting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Are you for real?

I'm fairly certain they're not.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm fairly certain they're not.

Well fooey on me, then.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

MrMojok posted:

I believe mine are in a box at my parents house. I do have a small die-cast TIE Interceptor on my desk as a deciration. My three year old son though, he has a ton of Star Wars toys and plush characters. He has a 12" Darth Vader toy that he put on display on the shelf with my DVDs. He wanted a Star Wars birthday, which was a few weeks before TFA came out. His relatives got him toys with the new characters. They kept asking me who they were and I had to say I didn't know because they were from the new movie and I was going in as cold as I could.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Gee, yet more pandering from JJ Abrams :rolleyes:

(I was surprised that there wasnt a notgay scene in TFA, all things considered)

a notgay scene? for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elfgames posted:

a notgay scene? for what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYfr_9Zpwk&t=647s

• Locked thread