Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i type the code and then the thing happen and then i am given money. its a very nice pattern.

it's ok but the better pattern is the one where the thing doesn't even need to happen

this is why functional programming jobs are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
if you think about the builder pattern being a comonad you feel a lot smarter for using it

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is why functional programming jobs are the best

it compiles, what more do you need it to do

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Flat Daddy posted:

javascript is fine now w/ es6 react and redux.

its prolly the most feasible way to get paid to be a FP weenie

if you've gone this far you may as well use elm and get a good compiler too

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

objc has meaningfully different oop from Java and there's a million ios jobs

delegation that doesn't suck is cool and good and all that, but your program is still filled with filthy state

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

don't use asp.net core yet. it's really really not ready yet

its real good

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
hey speaking of terrible uis, can you recommend any mockup/wireframe tool? i looked at moqups, since it was the first hit on google, and it seems pretty good.

well, better than our current process of "draw colored rectangles on a powerpoint slide" at least.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
moqups ain't so bad, it's good because it forces low fidelity, so you can focus on the ideas rather than the exact execution (which you'd do in sketch or something)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Brain Candy posted:

where is this oop that i can be employeed to use that's not comparible with java 8?

(if you tell me to use scala i will laugh at you)

c#

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i haven't used it in a while but balsamiq was pretty good when i used it last time

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I use balsamiq for wireframes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HoboMan posted:

pretend i have design skills and was making a webpage, "what program do i loving boot up to start crafting some html/css?" is essentially my question. all you've said in response is "be a designer". this is not helpful

you don't boot up a program to start crafting some css, that's the point. you're putting the cart before the horse.

the correct process is to come up with a design, and then only once you know exactly how you want it to look (right down to the fuckin' redlines) do you start messing about with css to actually implement it. and at that point your text editor of choice + the devtools in your browser of choice is basically exactly what you want.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Maluco Marinero posted:

moqups ain't so bad, it's good because it forces low fidelity, so you can focus on the ideas rather than the exact execution (which you'd do in sketch or something)

yes, that's one reason why i like it. like you can see that the element is a date field, but people don't think that it's basically done.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

uncurable mlady posted:

I use balsamiq for wireframes

off to a great start

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Jabor posted:

you don't boot up a program to start crafting some css, that's the point. you're putting the cart before the horse.

the correct process is to come up with a design, and then only once you know exactly how you want it to look (right down to the fuckin' redlines) do you start messing about with css to actually implement it. and at that point your text editor of choice + the devtools in your browser of choice is basically exactly what you want.

css/html is garbage hth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

its real good

its got a bunch of weird javascript poo poo baked in? for some reason? i dont really get it.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Jabor posted:

and at that point your text editor of choice + the devtools in your browser of choice is basically exactly what you want.

no because this sucks and is what i was already doing before i posted

i guess i just hate html/css, good thing i'm not a designer :v:

e: i really don't get everyone being on my case about this, i thought this was the terrible programmer's thread?
just let me dig my own grave, i only asked if there was a better kind of shovel to use than this large wooden spoon i'm currently using.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 2, 2016

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Awia posted:

it adds styles onto a list and then returns it
if you didn't catch it, it's a freestanding lambda expression

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

HoboMan posted:

e: i really don't get everyone being on my case about this, i thought this was the terrible programmer's thread?
just let me dig my own grave, i only asked if there was a better kind of shovel to use than this large wooden spoon i'm currently using.

"the programs I write are terrible, what text editor can i use to make them better? like what do professional programmers do? no stop trying to tell me how to program, pretend I know how to program. what software do I use to do it?"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HoboMan posted:

this is the correct thing to feel. html and css are both awful (for purposes such as pixel-perfect layout of fancy designs) and if you ever find yourself not hating them you should probably seek professional help

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lone_Strider posted:

I keep seeing this, but what makes it not ready? esp when scott hanselman says "you can go into production with ASP.NET 5 on Windows or Linux and Microsoft will support you.", it seems like it should be in a pretty good state

http://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2016/Jan/21/Microsoft-renames-ASPNET-5-to-ASPNET-Core-10

quote:

When the Release Candidate rolled around you would expect some stability, but as soon as RC1 was released Microsoft announced that RC2 would break all the tooling and there would be some grand renaming that we are seeing now. This sort of thing does not go with an RC moniker – it's an alpha when you make that level of breaking changes.

.net core is confused on lots of basic poo poo and I would definitely not start a new project with it.

Moq and things like that are not available due to some dependency that's missing in core and xunit has taken the position of "gently caress it, let's stop trying to fix compatibility with core and wait for it to stabilize."

that's also the position you should take.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

GrumpyDoctor posted:

"the programs I write are terrible, what text editor can i use to make them better? like what do professional programmers do? no stop trying to tell me how to program, pretend I know how to program. what software do I use to do it?"

the answer is visual studio

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Awia posted:

the answer is visual studio

same except vim and make

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wheany posted:

hey speaking of terrible uis, can you recommend any mockup/wireframe tool? i looked at moqups, since it was the first hit on google, and it seems pretty good.

well, better than our current process of "draw colored rectangles on a powerpoint slide" at least.

i use visio :jeb:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

its got a bunch of weird javascript poo poo baked in? for some reason? i dont really get it.

the split the building of the client from the building of the server and it works infinitely better. previously you had the server compiling javascript in weird ways (bundles) and it was a pain to make it work right. Now instead you use gulp or w/e to compile js during the normal VS build process (as in its tied together automatically). Its way more sane.

also things like using bower instead of nuget for js packages.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bower is garbage. you know this right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but its the standard for js.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i also dont like require js either, its loving bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i'd rather copy dependencies in myself than use bower. most js authors don't register their libs with bower so other people do it. it's nasty.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Valeyard posted:

i also dont like require js either, its loving bad

ya, it's another one of those things where u have to transpile the pain away :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

i'd rather copy dependencies in myself than use bower. most js authors don't register their libs with bower so other people do it. it's nasty.

that's how it was for nuget too.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my projects have zero js but still wind up with some json bullshit and I don't know why or what it's for

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wheany posted:

'dia' is ok for making boxy diagrams for design docs

poo poo rolls downhill.jpg

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bloody posted:

my projects have zero js but still wind up with some json bullshit and I don't know why or what it's for

i'm ok with json as a way to store or pass data around, as long as it's for relatively simple stuff that doesn't try to re-implement its own bespoke xml-like format over json or something equally nauseating

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

YeOldeButchere posted:

i'm ok with json as a way to store or pass data around, as long as it's for relatively simple stuff that doesn't try to re-implement its own bespoke xml-like format over json or something equally nauseating

just use xml imo, it's like json but with better libraries and actual semantic structure and standard schemas that aren't poo poo

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

Shaggar posted:

that's how it was for nuget too.

nuget is also pretty garbage. java is the only ecosystem with something resembling a decent package management system
but now google and facebook have gone back to vendored dependencies checked into scm in the name of reproducibility and build speed, so who the gently caress knows

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shaggar posted:

it's really not. people primarily use npm for package distribution, whether it's client or server js. npm isn't that great but bower is dumpster garbage most people have moved on from.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HoboMan posted:

ultimately css is really really easy if you know exactly what you're trying to do before you start, and really really garbage for any sort of exploratory design or w/e. which is why everyone is telling you to figure out what you want to do before you even think about writing css

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

it's really not. people primarily use npm for package distribution, whether it's client or server js. npm isn't that great but bower is dumpster garbage most people have moved on from.

it does npm too but lol @ the suggestion npm isn't just as much of a garbage fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

npm is actually slightly less of a garbage fire than bower, which says a lot

• Locked thread