Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbit get! He's a five-year-old Himalayan. He seems to be adjusting to the new space pretty well. Very curious and alert. We'll let him out of the cage in a day or so, when he seems like he's adjusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
We might be getting a second rabbit as soon as tomorrow, depending on whether or not our current bun Seras takes a liking to him (or at least doesn't try to fight him). He's a 1 year old neutered flemish giant, Seras is a 4 year old spayed Rex.

My question is about the giant's diet...everything I've read says rabbits should have pellets, but when I got Seras 3.5 years ago the vet said they weren't necessary for her. So she's been perfectly fine with lots of Timothy hay and daily greens, no health problems at all. But are giant breeds different as far as diet? Just want to make sure he gets all the nutrition he needs for a long and happy life. :-)

Oh and any other advice on flemish giants would also be appreciated!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rabbit get! He's a five-year-old Himalayan. He seems to be adjusting to the new space pretty well. Very curious and alert. We'll let him out of the cage in a day or so, when he seems like he's adjusted.
Update: This rabbit owns. He's smart, playful, and well-behaved. He's the only rabbit I've had that doesn't chew cords and destroy things. I love him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's especially impressive since he was found starving in a hotel parking lot. The person who fostered him before the shelter put him up for adoption did an amazing job.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Update: This rabbit owns. He's smart, playful, and well-behaved. He's the only rabbit I've had that doesn't chew cords and destroy things. I love him.

*looks at his five-times-spliced gaming mouse*

You lucky prick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Remora posted:

*looks at his five-times-spliced gaming mouse*

You lucky prick.
Yeah he's amazing. We've rabbit-proofed pretty thoroughly, but aside from a desire to squeeze into any and all small spaces he's very well-behaved.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Wormy posted:

We might be getting a second rabbit as soon as tomorrow, depending on whether or not our current bun Seras takes a liking to him (or at least doesn't try to fight him). He's a 1 year old neutered flemish giant, Seras is a 4 year old spayed Rex.

My question is about the giant's diet...everything I've read says rabbits should have pellets, but when I got Seras 3.5 years ago the vet said they weren't necessary for her. So she's been perfectly fine with lots of Timothy hay and daily greens, no health problems at all. But are giant breeds different as far as diet? Just want to make sure he gets all the nutrition he needs for a long and happy life. :-)

Oh and any other advice on flemish giants would also be appreciated!

Giants are amazing! Phone posting, but I have 2 -- we give them 1/2 cup of oxbow pellets each daily since they do eat *a lot,* but out get has occasionally recommended that they eat an all-hay diet for a few days after e.g. Surgeries. I'd talk to a vet about not feeding pellets at all -- also be aware that they can Hoover like 4-6 cups of greens a day each (and ours are relatively small -- 13 and 14 lbs). Good luck with your giant! Can answer other questions if you have 'em.

ETA: we also started giving them glucosamine joint support hay tabs (also oxbow) at about 1 year -- they're big buns with a breed tendency to some joint issues, and they really like the hay tabs. Got that tip from other flemmie owners.

boberteatskitten fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 2, 2016

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks! We're trying to prepare as much as possible, and really hoping Seras takes to him so we can bring him home. I'm sure we'll have a ton more questions though!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormy posted:

Thanks! We're trying to prepare as much as possible, and really hoping Seras takes to him so we can bring him home. I'm sure we'll have a ton more questions though!
I've never bonded rabbits, but someone suggested smearing banana on their foreheads and putting them in the bathtub.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, I read that too. The bathroom is the only "neutral" place in our house, so bathtub it is. We were even hoping to get a big enough carrier for them to be in it together on the car ride home...the stress of being in the car also helps as they can comfort each other. Unfortunately the big ones wouldn't fit in the car. Still, fingers crossed that they get along and we have a new bun this evening!

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Chompsky has been having a lot of watery drainage from her right eye the last week and a half or so. Every time I was going to call the vet it seemed to be getting better so I didn't, and it would start to get bad again. She didn't seem distressed at all or bothered, and she had been eating and peeing/pooping like normal. I thought maybe her teeth were growing upwards, since she's a brat and refuses to eat any hay or veggies and was thinking the lack of chewing grinding down her teeth was behind it, but she's 6 years old now and had never had that problem before. Plus she wasn't drooling or anything.

I finally took her in last night, vet think's it's just a mild case of conjunctivitis. Gross little bun, you've got pink eye. They put some opthalmic drops in her eye last night, and already this morning she looked much better. I put some in again this morning, and am surprised at how easily she lets me do it.

Hoping that's all it is and it's better in a few days. I'm leaving town for a week in a little over a week and don't want to board a sick bun. I guess if I do, she'll at least be at the vets office and they can care for her, but I'm not keen on having the pay the extra boarding fees for a sick bun. Plus it'll just make me feel lovely knowing she's i'll and I'm far away.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
We just treated one of the Flems for conjunctivitis -- similar situation, one eye was a little red and puffy with some pus (we didn't see watery discharge) -- went away with some gel the vet gave us within 3-4 days and she seemed fine the whole time. The tip our vet gave was, if there's watery discharge that's spilling over the edge of the eye because of pooling, he'd want to check for a blocked tear duct. But overall the vet didn't seem too fussed about IMMEDIATE TREATMENT for the eye infection (I had called to ask if it was an emergency about a week earlier) the way it usually goes with buns. Good luck with Chompsky!

Also -- hey Wormy -- did you get the flem?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Well after 2 full days of applying the eye drops, I've seen some definite improvement. The fur around her eye is dry, but when I'm close to her I can still see some redness over her sclera and the area around the lids does look like there is a lot of moisture built up, just not so much that's it's pouring over the lids and onto the rest of her face.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Last Saturday I dropped her off at the vet for boarding because I was leaving for Tennessee for work for a week. Her eye wateryness had increased over the couple of days prior to that, and I asked them to keep an eye on it and keep me updated. Today they called to ask if it was okay to put her under to do an oral exam to see if the wateryness is dental related, and to ask if it was okay to burr her teeth and/or do skull radiographs. I said it was.

I'm sure she's going to be okay, I just feel bad for her being in a strange environment and dealing with all this stuff. I'm going back tomorrow to get her though. It's weird how attached and concerned I've gotten to a rabbit, especially considering that as soon as I get her home she's going to run up to her little area and just thump at me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Say goodbye to every charger cord in your house. You left your bunny, you monster.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I decided to be really nice to Harriet, and give her some banana I was eating. She headbutted it outta my hand, and had it stick to her cheek for about an hour. I eventually picked her up and pulled it off, to her considerate irritation.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Welp, they sedated her yesterday to take a look in her mouth, and her vet said she was amazed by her teeth, because they're completely worn down and flat, so no burring happened. They took some radiographs too, and the roots of her teeth are a little janky and she thinks that that's ultimately what his causing the chronic weepy eye on the right side. She said as long as her behavior doesn't change and she continues to eat, it's probably nothing to really worry about, just going to have to clean the area around her eye each day.

We decided to try a trial of metacam for a few days, to see if maybe that will decrease some inflammation of the soft tissue around her roots (if there is any at all) that may be contributing to it. If it helps, and comes back after the trial is gone, she may just have to be on metacam long term.

Chompsky is going to have to get a part time job mowing lawns this summer to pay for that vet bill.

Also, when I got her back yesterday, the effects of the sedation were still present. She was pretty mellow and just sat motionless for most of the night, but at one point she tried periscoping and just toppled over, and I couldn't help but laugh. I got the stare down from her after that. :3:

I really really like the place I take her for her checkups and boarding. The vet is super knowledgeable about bunnies and has a few herself and is really nice.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 23, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Welp, they sedated her yesterday to take a look in her mouth, and her vet said she was amazed by her teeth, because they're completely worn down and flat, so no burring happened. They took some radiographs too, and the roots of her teeth are a little janky and she thinks that that's ultimately what his causing the chronic weepy eye on the right side. She said as long as her behavior doesn't change and she continues to eat, it's probably nothing to really worry about, just going to have to clean the area around her eye each day.

We decided to try a trial of metacam for a few days, to see if maybe that will decrease some inflammation of the soft tissue around her roots (if there is any at all) that may be contributing to it. If it helps, and comes back after the trial is gone, she may just have to be on metacam long term.

Chompsky is going to have to get a part time job mowing lawns this summer to pay for that vet bill.

Also, when I got her back yesterday, the effects of the sedation were still present. She was pretty mellow and just sat motionless for most of the night, but at one point she tried periscoping and just toppled over, and I couldn't help but laugh. I got the stare down from her after that. :3:

I really really like the place I take her for her checkups and boarding. The vet is super knowledgeable about bunnies and has a few herself and is really nice.

Well a little extra human-grooms is a pretty good outcome when you think about it. It is so good to have a vet and boarder that knows rabbits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Yes, I deliberately took a photo from a dutch angle to have an extra threatening Harriet Photo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sometimes my rabbit falls asleep in the middle of washing his face and ears. He just stays sitting up, closes his eyes, and starts gently rocking back and forth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Here is rabbit.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
I fed the rabbit an apple slice for the first time the other day. Now, she loses her mind whenever I eat an apple in her presence. Runs in circles, jumps on things, thumps her feet, chews my pant leg, stands on her hind legs and begs. I eat apples every day, but I cannot always share with her because it has to be an occasional treat. If she didn't hate me before, I think she does now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

peach moonshine posted:

I fed the rabbit an apple slice for the first time the other day. Now, she loses her mind whenever I eat an apple in her presence. Runs in circles, jumps on things, thumps her feet, chews my pant leg, stands on her hind legs and begs. I eat apples every day, but I cannot always share with her because it has to be an occasional treat. If she didn't hate me before, I think she does now.
The Himalyan found a piece of popcorn on the ground once and now he climbs on us when we have popcorn.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

peach moonshine posted:

Even if you give her apple she'll love you for precisely the amount of time it takes for her to finish the apple. Not much of a net change, honestly.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Himalyan found a piece of popcorn on the ground once and now he climbs on us when we have popcorn.

One of these days you'll be sitting on the couch eating popcorn with your SO, and your bunny will will suddenly appear beside your head and grab a piece out of your hand. At this point you'll be wondering how in the hell he managed to get up on to the back of the couch without you noticing.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

"FactsAreUseless" posted:

Grade 3 dead bunny flop in here. That would stress me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

motoh posted:

Grade 3 dead bunny flop in here. That would stress me.
Generally rabbits don't just drop dead, but they do often fall over on their sides suddenly to sleep.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Falling asleep flat on their side is actually pretty uncommon. Your bunny is very relaxed and comfortable, likely because he knows he's in charge already.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grack posted:

Falling asleep flat on their side is actually pretty uncommon. Your bunny is very relaxed and comfortable, likely because he knows he's in charge already.
He's super well-behaved. I think being an older rabbit helps, since he was 5 and a half when we got him. He has some quirks from being abandoned - he uses three litter boxes and sometimes a sound from outside will make him freak out - but he's way easier than my last two rabbits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Himalayan went into stasis today. Not sure what triggered it. He's doing okay, we got him some subcutaneous fluids and motility drug injections. Luckily we got him to the vet before it got really bad: he was still moving around and everything, but was rejecting any food.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It made a pretty immediate difference. He's been home about ten minutes and he's already grooming himself again, and he's dropped a couple pellets.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Regularly scheduled bunny health scare. I'm pretty sure they do that sort of thing on purpose.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's amazing is that he was abandoned and survived in the wild for a long time. We get him for a month and a half and he does this.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I gave my bunnies an apple and they ate it peaceably without chasing each other and breaking everything. Anyone else experience this? What does it mean?

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I gave my bunnies an apple and they ate it peaceably without chasing each other and breaking everything. Anyone else experience this? What does it mean?

It means they are going to pee on something that you like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RacistGuidingLight posted:

A united front.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

So I've taken a month or two off work and am chilling at home a lot with our little furry monster and he's become so much more tame. He doesn't love being picked up but he hangs out on the bed and follows everyone around and is super cute.

Snapped these photos to remind me of his true form.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 22, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

He knows he's in charge, no need to be hyper about it.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think Bowie broke her foot. Attempting to do god knows what to my living room curtains her whole paw got stuck in a hole she made. In her panic she twisted it tighter. I hadn't seen her all morning she must have been like this for hours. She was so scared as I cut her free. I'm about to cry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A rabbit can recover from a broken leg, although it takes a bit of work. I saw some people online rocking their rabbit to sleep after it broke its back leg and couldn't get to sleep on its own. See what your vet says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I've been having some terrible insomnia lately, and it doesn't help that my rabbit snores loud as gently caress. In fact, she was just snoring, and suddenly started thumping. She does this sometimes when I'm guessing she's having a bad dream.

What the gently caress, you're a prey animal and you sleep louder than hell. You wouldn't last a day in the wild.