Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Probably. After all, every character in the film is a caricature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Did GND start life as an animated film?

God help us all if "PureFlix Animation" becomes a thing.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Ensign_Ricky posted:

God help us all if "PureFlix Animation" becomes a thing.

It costs too much money to produce anything more well animated than, say, Veggie Tales, so this is thankfully unlikely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What if they hook up with some of those Korean megachurches, though?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So uh...THIS is a thing that's happening apparently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8LYSAUZCU

Oh man, that gang of bullies who can be immediately identified because every single one of them is wearing a white cap backwards so you know they're rebels.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Argue posted:

Oh man, that gang of bullies who can be immediately identified because every single one of them is wearing a white cap backwards so you know they're rebels.

That's kind of what the 90s were like, except the bullies were usually part of the establishment as jocks integrated into community institutions like churches and youth groups. They were all about the white ballcaps, though. It would be interesting if they were presented as bad-faith Christians because they bully weak outcasts and the kid in the movie reforms them by teaching them true mercy and fellowship.

But David AR White was by all accounts one of those jocks, right down to the frosted tips he still wears.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't the idea that the killers were outcasts who killed because they were bullied basically bullshit?
According to what I've heard neither of them was really bullied and they just wanted to top Timothy McVeigh and kill as many people as possible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yes. If you're at all curious you should read Dave Cullen's book on Columbine. It's a subject I was never curious about and don't really like thinking about, and I was riveted from the first page to the last. One of them was a textbook psychopath and the other one was suicidal with a very rare variation that caused him to want to hurt other people as he died. Both of them were cold assholes who committed petty crimes together and bonded over the fantasy of terrorizing and killing as many people as possible.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
ya its a really good book in terms of readability & being like, insanely well-researched

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Where did all those kids find that many blank white baseball caps, and why did they wear them? Also why does she dress like Blossom?

AT COLUMBINE - based on a TRUE STORY

I mean I went to school in the same county at the same time as the Columbine shootings - never saw one of those weird blank caps anywhere, ever, outside of music videos.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 3, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/14/mother-supposed-know-son-columbine-sue-klebold
This is also worth reading - an interview with Klebold's mother.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Suffice to say that it's really easy for a parent to overlook just how damaged their own kid is, and how most physicians will also ignore it, or just threaten to commit them to a psych ward (which will teach the kid to just lie about it until the cows come home).

I was never a trenchcoat-mafia kid but I grew up in the same emo kurt cobain-idolizing era, and nobody outside of that age group really understood it back then, and they were all more interested in just saying to boot-straps past it or STFU.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

God might not be dead but the box office sure was

Gods Not Dead opened in 780 theaters and brought in 9.2 million which is pretty good.

Gods not Dead 2 thought to bank on the success and put it in 2,400 theaters.

Gods Not Dead 2 brought in 8 million.

It did not pay out

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

God might not be dead but the box office sure was

Gods Not Dead opened in 780 theaters and brought in 9.2 million which is pretty good.

Gods not Dead 2 thought to bank on the success and put it in 2,400 theaters.

Gods Not Dead 2 brought in 8 million.

It did not pay out

religious movies have a hard cap on how much they will make, the production companies don't get that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Probably. After all, every character in the film is a caricature.
Which is why I'm not the least bit surprised about that one spoiler on the last page....the last film had no shame about anything, really...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've decided to drink and watch the original God's Not Dead. Ten minutes in, we've got your bog standard dumb white suburban ideas about black and Chinese people, we've got famous philosophers incorrectly described as atheists (including the loving one who made the statement the movie's loving named after), and we've got terrible country music. And DEAN CAIN! :haw:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Why are the comments disabled for every christian trailer movie ever? Is it because the non-believers are bullying those poor christians on the youtube, or is it because the creator pre-emptively knows what type of comments he'll get...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

I've decided to drink and watch the original God's Not Dead. Ten minutes in, we've got your bog standard dumb white suburban ideas about black and Chinese people, we've got famous philosophers incorrectly described as atheists (including the loving one who made the statement the movie's loving named after), and we've got terrible country music. And DEAN CAIN! :haw:
My favorite bit of trivia is that when the Chinese student and his father are having a subtitled conversation, they are speaking two completely different languages

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KinkyJohn posted:

Why are the comments disabled for every christian trailer movie ever? Is it because the non-believers are bullying those poor christians on the youtube, or is it because the creator pre-emptively knows what type of comments he'll get...

Best case scenario is no productive conversation whatsoever so I don't blame them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

KinkyJohn posted:

I assume that at some point someone posted one with comments open and they realized what sort of incredible shitshow results.

Honestly, I think the more pressing question is why anyone posts any promotional material with comments enabled. I can't think of a time I have scrolled down to youtube comments and thought 'wow, that was useful and interesting, I am really glad that was posted'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pretty much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite bit of trivia is that when the Chinese student and his father are having a subtitled conversation, they are speaking two completely different languages

Clearly a Tower of Babel reference :haw:

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
They did that in the last movie. WTF? Why would they do that? Other than to just flip the bird to godless orientals.

What is the MLK quote scene about?

Last Buffalo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 6, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They probably specifically cast actors who "spoke Chinese" and just had them say the lines separately and neither had any contact with the other person.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Were they on the phone like the last movie? That's why I assumed it happened, since they just got "Chinese-speakers" at different times and places.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The stuff with the Muslim girl who listens to Christian music (and maybe the Bible on tape?) is really awful. For some reason they have her wearing a headscarf but otherwise pretty normal clothes, which would not be happening in the crazy household she's from. Of course she has a father who is basically the conservative caricature of SCARY MUSLIM MAN, and as you would expect he beats her when he finds out she is listening to Christian stuff and then kicks her out of the house.

It's really a toss-up between the awful stereotypes and how they seem to actively want the people they don't like to die horribly or get terminal illness. If you are an atheist according to this movie, you are an awful person who hates everyone and believes they are the greatest thing in the world. Your punishment is getting hit by a car and dying. If you are a liberal blogger who goes after people like the Robertson family for their intolerance of others, you will get cancer until you decide to recant your beliefs and embrace God, at which point the disease magically cures itself.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
She's not even wearing a hijab or any kind of veil. It's a winter scarf that she wraps around her head.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Hijab has a few meanings, one of which is headscarf, and of same or similar style to what one would wear outside an Islamic context. From what I recall, the one used in the film was fine.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If you don't follow Michael A. R. White on Facebook and Twitter you don't belong in this thread.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you are a liberal blogger who goes after people like the Robertson family for their intolerance of others, you will get cancer until you decide to recant your beliefs and embrace God, at which point the disease magically cures itself.

Did her cancer miraculously get cured? I was able to sit through this stinker finally and I don't remember that. There's just so many stupid little things wrong with this movie. College students registering with pen and paper on the quad in 2014. This lady has a smart phone, still relies on an alarm clock, and has to call somebody for directions. An American college student is shocked to meet a Chinese person from China. Said Chinese person is totally in awe of this new and mysterious Christianity thing, despite there being a hundred million Christians in China in 2014. Black person introduces himself as "G-Dog Money." Spiteful liberal blogger lady ambushes Duck Dynasty guy for Youtube hits, only records audio, acts like people are offended about consuming duck meat.

The only perfectly accurate thing in the movie is the pastor with the lovely haircut that was popular with middle schoolers ten years ago.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Please tell me that they're not even the same language families.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Please tell me that they're not even the same language families.

It's like the son speaks Mandarin and the dad speaks Cantonese or something like that. So two different Chinese languages. It would have been great if it was Vietnamese and Japanese or something totally insane like that, but alas it's just mostly stupid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think it turns out in the sequel that the blogger returns and is cancer-free now that she has accepted Jesus or whatever

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So a site seems to have found a promotional link in the movie.

Not Newsboys or Duck Dynasty

A Prius

quote:

In a movie that’s otherwise full of the kind of predictable pandering we’re used to (Christian rock rules! The ACLU guy hates Marines!), there are at least three scenes that felt like Prius product placement. In one of the first scenes, a cancer-surviving blogger played by Trisha LaFache (I wouldn’t even know where to start trying to explain this character) drives around in her Prius, dictating blog posts into her phone

Then there’s the pastor character, played by Pure Flix co-founder and God’s Not Dead 2 producer David AR White, He mentions his Prius early on, and then later, at a meeting with some fellow pastors, they ask him, “Hey, Pastor Dave, still got that Prius?” And he’s like, “Yep, runs great!” and practically winks at the camera

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/gods-not-dead-2-product-placement/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't there a subset of evangelicals who have embraced climate change? I thought I remembered that the born again fundie guy who Obama chose to give the invocation in the 2009 inauguration was chosen specifically because he believed in global warming.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There are somewhere around 300 million Evangelicals in the world. I'm sure some of them believe in climate change.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Samuel Clemens posted:

There are somewhere around 300 million Evangelicals in the world. I'm sure some of them believe in climate change.

I know I've spoken to several people who support any number of progressive causes- climate change, equal rights, anti-poverty measures- because the have been moved by their faith in Jesus and his sacrifice. Evangelicalism is tricky that way; it's what comes of having the only real requirement be the belief that Christ died for our sins- folks that run the gamut from "would try to lynch you for being different" and "would die to protect you from being lynched for being different."

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Did compassionate American political evangelism die with Carter's presidency?

I don't think I've seen an evangelical in office or a position of power in 15 years that was not a die hard conservative with an added bit of white paranoia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Last Buffalo posted:

Did compassionate American political evangelism die with Carter's presidency?

I don't think I've seen an evangelical in office or a position of power in 15 years that was not a die hard conservative with an added bit of white paranoia.

The long and short of it is that Evangelicals have a certain subset of beliefs that only conservatives will appeal to, so they're all conservatives. The closest equivalent is something like "I'm gay and maybe I don't like taxes that much but holy poo poo only one party won't call for my execution".

Like remember that even Carter wanted to get rid of abortion as much as he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

computer parts posted:

Like remember that even Carter wanted to get rid of abortion as much as he could.

He was indeed pro-life... but he was also pro-food, pro-clothing, pro-health and pro-education for said infants, so his anti-abortion stances do not bother me as much as other people's do. That's what I mean by the variation on what being saved means; the compassionate evangelicals may have been drowned out by their counterparts (who's "certain subset of beliefs" has more to do with getting certain votes than any religious doctrine), but that doesn't mean they're not still there.

But yeah, how bout them movies about Jesus? What's the consensus on Saved!, incidentally? I thought it was pretty funny and on point.

• Locked thread