Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Khorne posted:

Much safer than it looks except for the fireworks/petrol part. What he's launching it with appears to be fairly well made. I'd definitely have worn some goggles personally.

Thermite is not explosive at all, and it takes a significant amount of time for it to ignite using a magnesium strip like it appears he is. As long as he puts the gun down and walks away immediately if it malfunctions or delays he should be safe.

Thermite essentially turns into a puddle of metal slag when it gets set on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxsFglz2ig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

That's a harness he's wearing, right?

Right?

:staredog:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Soviet safety posters stolen from D&D:

If someone could translate a few it would be cool.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think one of those says dont stick your hair in the drill press.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

could have been worse

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Most of them pretty much just say what they show. Lol @ "Don't remove drive belts using your feet" :wtc:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

You know, it might not be a bad idea to schedule an EKG with your doctor. There could be some underlying damage to your heart you don't know about, better to get on it now before it potentially becomes a problem later.

Ah, didn't know about all that. For what it's worth, I know about it possibly messing with your heart rate, and my pulse didn't seem tachycardia-ish(Not sure what the word is, Tachycardic?). The surprised spiked my heart rate up a bit then it calmed down. But, I do have insurance now so if thats a possibility then I definitely will go see a doctor if need be. And like I said I'm not surge testing with another person again. It's easy not to get shocked when you're alone, you hook up to the leads, take a step back, hit the pedal, then when you step off the current stops. But 2 people obviously increases the risk greatly, I may talk to the supervisor and see if we can't just make that a rule.

E: I was thinking and I was curious if maybe these surge testers have some sort of built in thing to mitigate damage. I mean my lovely little vape box is capable of detecting the electrical resistance in the coil fairly accurately, maybe the surge tester shuts off when it detects resistance greater than should flow through copper wire? The shock was really fast and immediately over with, faster than the guy was able to let off the pedal I"m pretty sure. That's no guarantee, but isn't a really quick zap less dangerous than even like a second or two of sustained current?

Also, I know we are probably getting into off topic stuff that isn't quite OSHA, but my friend got shocked as well one day, but somehow it was after he disconnected the leads. He said the coil was uninsulated, and he tested it at 13,000, stopped, put the cables up, then grabbed the coil and got a shock. Can electricity linger around inside an ungrounded coil pretty easily? I know I've touched the leads within a few seconds after I've tested them and never got any sort of residual shock. Electricity is confusing.

And if this makes a difference, one of the guys who has been working there for a long time told me the tester runs at 100 milliamps(Although it might still be 50, that's how the conversation came up, he said someone put a wrong part in and it was only testing at 50, whether they fixed it or not, I have no idea). I'm not sure if that would change when the current is ran through a human body rather than a copper coil or not though, but it seems high enough to still be dangerous. Now I'm all paranoid. Would going to a generic family doc be okay or should I immediately go to a cardiologist? fwiw, I can get in to my regular dr tomorrow no problem, but I imagine a cardiologist would take a few days. Should I just take this to goon doctor?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 2, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Our work standard is basically any noticeable current passes through your chest, you go see a doctor. I have done exactly zero research but during some of the safety courses, they said it's common for people to feel fine and then just die in their sleep after getting their hearth rhythm hosed with.

fe: bonus fun electricity content: a bird flew into the hv line right above me and literally exploded. Huge puff of smoke, blinding flash and you could hear windows rattle a couple of hundred feet away. Electricity bad. lovely pic but it smelled like death and I didn't want to get closer.
http://imgur.com/gzJ0YnP

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 2, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, that's scary. I got shocked by something similar to this http://www.pjelectronics.com/pjwhybuy2.html

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Kilo147 posted:

People overestimate the risk from radiation constantly. With a simple dust mask I could hold a half pound of Uranium indefinitely with absolutely zero risk. It's actually on my bucket list.

It's been a few years but I'm no stranger to working with radioactive sources. He'd be much better off with some nitrile gloves, but you never see those in fallout...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Those posters are awesome. Wow.

From the fire a few pages back - is a flashover and backdraft sorta' the same thing?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Three-Phase posted:

Those posters are awesome. Wow.

From the fire a few pages back - is a flashover and backdraft sorta' the same thing?

I, too, was confused on this. No more! Know more!
http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2005/03/flashover-and-backdraft-a-primer.html

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 2, 2016

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
It kinda looks like the roof went and air got to mix with all the smoke, igniting it

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

We have very similar situation at work. Ridiculous. And for content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNwSwQ2GMks

edit: already posted twice in this thread :(

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 2, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Sylink posted:

I think one of those says dont stick your hair in the drill press.
Which was a thing in WW2 where women styled their hair after Veronica Lake resulting in quite a few accidents and her being hired to advocate safer hairstyles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgpvKXLTwr8

Hormples
May 3, 2002

ARRGHH!!
MY BONES!!

Got this one from my photographer pal on Facebook:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

S-U-P-E-R posted:

Got this one from my photographer pal on Facebook:

No hard hats, no high-vis vests, no steel-toed boots. :sigh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they should be reported to their union

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, didn't know about all that. For what it's worth, I know about it possibly messing with your heart rate, and my pulse didn't seem tachycardia-ish(Not sure what the word is, Tachycardic?). The surprised spiked my heart rate up a bit then it calmed down. But, I do have insurance now so if thats a possibility then I definitely will go see a doctor if need be.

It isn't you who pays for the ECG. You know how basically every medical form in the USA says "Is this visit related to a workplace injury? [ ]" ? Check the box. Ask your boss how you go about getting the ECG.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

H110Hawk posted:

It isn't you who pays for the ECG. You know how basically every medical form in the USA says "Is this visit related to a workplace injury? [ ]" ? Check the box. Ask your boss how you go about getting the ECG.

I agree with this but at the same time be aware if you have a lovely employer, they'll drug test you and find an excuse to write you up. Seriously though, get the ECG.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/Fhchxf9.gifv

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Airborne Viking posted:

That's a harness he's wearing, right?

Right?

:staredog:

I think a parachute would be kinda helpful.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

That's what happens when you eat too much taco bell

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
That building also doubles as a rocket engine

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
fast flames if u will

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s6sjMMjatc

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Because of the way the aspect ratio is squashed, it looks like a 7th grader is trying to do this work. Which would be about standard for a lot of developing countries that this would be tried in.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
You know what? gently caress everything. Let's throw explosives into spinning blades.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You know what? gently caress everything. Let's throw explosives into spinning blades.

Are they explosives? Looks more like spray-paint cans to me, which is pretty cool and I kinda want the slow-mo guys to do it.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are they explosives? Looks more like spray-paint cans to me, which is pretty cool and I kinda want the slow-mo guys to do it.

Their rig was horrible, could have done it a lot safer

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes it's spray paint. Which is cans flammable poo poo under pressure.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It seems like if you were going to do this, using a cinder block or something to tilt the mower would be a better choice than a guy with a protective Darth Vader mask.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had no idea that Darth Vader masks were approved as PPE.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It's all part of the artist's message!

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is the art worth more if you lose a finger while making it?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

calvus posted:

Is the art worth more if you lose a finger while making it?

Really good art requires nothing less than an ear.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yes it's spray paint. Which is cans flammable poo poo under pressure.

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying it was safe or anything. Just cool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8mCv_-zB8

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
:wtc: That wasn't even an accident, they planned it that way and have a little torch on the stone wall trying to light it on each try.

This is like the oven grenade video, only incredibly more stupid.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless