Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gatts posted:

:___(

SWING UP! I'm gonna go support it again!

Sadly won't matter. This would need the greatest upswing in the history of cinema to become "Acceptable". It's hit basically all major markets I believe, and it's doing equally lovely in them too. It might end up making money, barely, but in no way would it be considered a success. Honestly if JL started filming a tiny bit later they'd probably shitcan Snyder. One movie that makes money but is critically iffy is one thing, another that is critically shat upon AND doesn't make money? That's a trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Confirmed, Boogaleeboo is Devin Faraci.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kurzon posted:

Also, this is a panel from an Avengers comic:

Why are there two Spider-Men?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

computer parts posted:

Confirmed, Boogaleeboo is Devin Faraci.

What a terrible thing to say about another human being.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rurea posted:

Why are there two Spider-Men?

I want to say this is when there were a bunch of Skrulls running around as sleeper agent duplicates.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are two Wolverines and two whoever that dude with the sunglasses is, as well, and probably others that I haven't spotted yet.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Yes, that's from that Skrull storyline. The point is that this is a very typical kind of panel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are two Wolverines and two whoever that dude with the sunglasses is, as well, and probably others that I haven't spotted yet.

Luke Cage punching out old school looking Power Man.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tom Hiddleston says that he will be in Thor 3, but unless something changes with Infinity War, it will be his last time in the MCU.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tom Hiddleston says that he will be in Thor 3, but unless something changes with Infinity War, it will be his last time in the MCU.

They're gonna offer him a lot more money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phylodox posted:

They're gonna offer him a lot more money.

He said he wants to be in Infinity War and noted that casting isn't done for it yet, but that he hasn't been approached by Marvel to do it so far.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I would be cool with Loki appearing in Infinity War because Hiddleston is amazing to watch.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Sadly won't matter. This would need the greatest upswing in the history of cinema to become "Acceptable". It's hit basically all major markets I believe, and it's doing equally lovely in them too. It might end up making money, barely, but in no way would it be considered a success. Honestly if JL started filming a tiny bit later they'd probably shitcan Snyder. One movie that makes money but is critically iffy is one thing, another that is critically shat upon AND doesn't make money? That's a trend.

I don't know much about Hollywood accounting or whatever, but how bad of news is this? Is BvS going to be considered a failure?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Is BvS going to be considered a failure?

If that info on it dropping that badly is accurate? Howard the Duck-level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it really does a 70% drop and doesn't pick it up in overseas markets that's gonna be pretty damning. A complete and utter disaster isn't really accurate considering its strong start but WB is clearly expecting longer legs considering the total lack of competition.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How much of Batman v Superman's budget was recuperated by licensing deals before it even came out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

How much of Batman v Superman's budget was recuperated by licensing deals before it even came out?

Probably almost all of it if MoS is an example but it also isn't a film being made as a benefit and they expect more than recouping their budget.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't really see Kids wanting to see this over and over. I'm sure some do, of course. But I mean, the ending would be pretty rough for a kid who really loves a certain character.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I can't really see Kids wanting to see this over and over. I'm sure some do, of course. But I mean, the ending would be pretty rough for a kid who really loves a certain character.

I'm not even a kid and I'm pretty pissed about Jimmy Olsen, too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to know what actual kids thought of BvS. Like, we can hypothesize all we like, but I wish someone with kids who took them to the movie could just tell us what they thought. I'm genuinely curious, because it's definitely not a movie that was made with children in mind, but I could see them really liking the fight scenes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lomzus posted:

and the greatest

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yoshifan823 posted:

I would like to know what actual kids thought of BvS. Like, we can hypothesize all we like, but I wish someone with kids who took them to the movie could just tell us what they thought. I'm genuinely curious, because it's definitely not a movie that was made with children in mind, but I could see them really liking the fight scenes.

I would too, honestly. I looked it up and could only find one review with a kid and his dad. They both liked it. I could be wildly off base here, after all I'm just assuming.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yaws posted:

It's so loving stupid. Why would they charge at each other like it's a medieval battle? What would Hawkeye gain from running straight at Iron Man?
There is no honor at fighting at range, been that way since the Iliad.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

My students like it. I mentioned in the BvS thread that one of my students believes that Batman doesn't kill anyone in the movie and those dudes were just knocked out.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm taking my 13 yo son tomorrow, I will let you know what he says.

He might be a little biased considering this was him in 2012...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHAiVHY1l60

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timeless Appeal posted:

My students like it. I mentioned in the BvS thread that one of my students believes that Batman doesn't kill anyone in the movie and those dudes were just knocked out.

What grade, out of curiosity?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Probably almost all of it if MoS is an example but it also isn't a film being made as a benefit and they expect more than recouping their budget.

Blockbuster movies are basically large advertising platforms for toys. The fact that they're advertising platforms that pay for themselves is a side benefit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

What grade, out of curiosity?
6th.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Phylodox posted:

:lol:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was unaware that this was a thing that was happening.

So was my girlfriend, who isn't into comics at all, and yet when I told her there was a movie in the works called Doctor Strange, she immediately said "who's playing him, Cumberbatch?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I doubt there are any actual kids who care about that

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

I doubt there are any actual kids who care about that

You must not know any cool kids, then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Blockbuster movies are basically large advertising platforms for toys. The fact that they're advertising platforms that pay for themselves is a side benefit.

Right, which is why the dropoff is a bad thing. If people aren't going to see the commercials over and over there's a good chance the actual toy sales are (while probably not bad) not as good as they hope.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Right, which is why the dropoff is a bad thing. If people aren't going to see the commercials over and over there's a good chance the actual toy sales are (while probably not bad) not as good as they hope.

Do people see films repeatedly?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

computer parts posted:

I'm honestly curious about this too. Like I know Star Wars nerds will see Star Wars films like three times on the first week, but I always figured most people see a film once, maybe twice in theaters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I remember when I was in 6th grade and Titanic came out, a few of the girls would brag about having seen it six or seven times.

I saw Fury Road twice. I know a few people who saw Deadpool three times. Other than Fury Road, I don't think I've even seen a movie twice in theaters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Fairly regularly, especially kids, and if they don't then they're recommending it to other people instead. Dropoff means you're not getting repeat viewing and not getting recommendations.

That said we'll see if the dropoff is as large as anticipated.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I rarely see any movie in the theater even once. I saw The Phantom Menace, like, three times but that was because people kept dragging me to it and paying for me. Since then, the only movie I've seen multiple times in theater was The Force Awakens, and that was because the second time I had a coupon for a free upgrade to IMAX and I thought it would benefit from being seen that huge. I wasn't disappointed. If I had to see another movie in theater, it would probably be Deadpool, because it was just great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mordiceius posted:

I remember when I was in 6th grade and Titanic came out, a few of the girls would brag about having seen it six or seven times.

I saw Fury Road twice. I know a few people who saw Deadpool three times. Other than Fury Road, I don't think I've even seen a movie twice in theaters.

I think Titanic is the go-to answer for this. That thing was in theatres for like eight months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think Titanic is the go-to answer for this. That thing was in theatres for like eight months.

Kind of a rare case though. Personally I've never seen a film more than twice in theaters, and even then only two films I've seen twice (TDK and TFA, and the latter was because my family wanted to see it when I went for Christmas).

ImpAtom posted:

Fairly regularly, especially kids, and if they don't then they're recommending it to other people instead. Dropoff means you're not getting repeat viewing and not getting recommendations.

I'm not seeing data to back that up. The closest I've seen is a poll of TFA viewers (note: Fandango users, not the population at large) which says that 42% plan to see the movie again. That's a far cry from "fairly regularly".

computer parts fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 2, 2016

• Locked thread