Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a link to this?

I can't find the link for you because I'm on my phone but the source is a specific interview with the DX:HR developers about the market research they did when relaunching the brand. You should be able to find it with some Google searching. I forget which dev it was, maybe the lead writer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

That works as fantasy, but not in the same sense that cyberpunk or science fiction stuff typically works in.

Like A Princess of Mars was written not long after they definitively debunked the "Mars is full of life" theory but it was still a fairly common belief so people could still roll with it. Fast forward a century and John Carter is too outlandish for most people to stomach, especially as science fiction.

I'm still really salty about John Carter. It was a good or at least decent movie that did not deserve to fail that hard. Pet peeve.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

drilldo squirt posted:

I bet it's Bernie.

This would be the most hilarious option, but oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Killer robot posted:

80s cyberpunk written anew looks wrong for the same reason why you wouldn't write sci-fi today where a veteran of the atomic wars is fighting snake people in the jungles of Venus.

I don't know; with the amount of student loan debt the average snake person has been saddled with, I could see them getting violent against an atomic war vet (or "boomer") who used the GI bill for college and just can't relate to snake people problems

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm still really salty about John Carter. It was a good or at least decent movie that did not deserve to fail that hard. Pet peeve.

Honestly I think a major reason is just that it wasn't very novel anymore. Like anything vaguely fantasical in space borrowed from the Barsoom stories. That's why the climactic fight against the White Ape was bemoaned because Star Wars had done it a decade earlier in Attack of the Clones.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

Honestly I think a major reason is just that it wasn't very novel anymore. Like anything vaguely fantasical in space borrowed from the Barsoom stories. That's why the climactic fight against the White Ape was bemoaned because Star Wars had done it a decade earlier in Attack of the Clones.

Yeah, it was two thirds bad marketing and one third that Star Wars had already lifted the highlights. Still viewed on its own it was a decent film and many movies that were much worse have done much better financially. They also rewrote the Therns in an interesting way and I would really have enjoyed the sequels if they had been made.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

John Carter was a terrible long slog of a film, and it deserved worse than it got

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zelder posted:

John Carter was a terrible long slog of a film, and it deserved worse than it got

I also think Howard the Duck is better than it is given credit for and un-ironically enjoy the Flash Gordon movie.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I also think Howard the Duck is better than it is given credit for and un-ironically enjoy the Flash Gordon movie.

:catstare:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Maybe if they had kept all the nudity it would have helped.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
im trying to temember the flas AH! AH!! movie but my mind apparently blocked every thing after the title song

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

How can one not enjoy that Queen sound track?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
After hearing about the Ted Cruz/DC Madam connection I thought I'd browse some right wing forums to see what they're saying. Unsurprisingly, any and all references to Ted Cruz and the DC Madam are being purged from Free Republic.

I'm amused. I wonder what Conservapedia will say?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

The US Department of Education 100% considers that title 9 protects transgender students. They don't really gently caress around either. There was a similar situation in Illinois and it was resolved very quickly.

The transgender discrimination isn't really the point of the bill- that's just to gin up evangelical support for November. It'll get removed.

The real meat of the bill is in the anti-minimum wage and worker protection parts.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I can't find the link for you because I'm on my phone but the source is a specific interview with the DX:HR developers about the market research they did when relaunching the brand. You should be able to find it with some Google searching. I forget which dev it was, maybe the lead writer?

This it? http://www.vice.com/read/2000s-cyberpunk-adventure-deus-ex-really-did-see-the-future-coming-115

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe the DoJ came out within the last 6 months or so and said they as far as they are concerned transgender people fall under Equal Protection already. So yes, the Feds are keeping a close eye on this one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

comes along bort posted:

NC Republicans have been doing everything they can to defund public schools so this only helps further their goal.

Is UNC going to be included and can they pull the 'no money, basketball is over' card?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I don't think so. The interview specifically talked about young people's awareness of the term "cyberpunk". It was a quote about marketing more than about genre itself. Ive linked it before on this forum. I'll try to find it later.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Killer robot posted:

This is a popular meme with a lot of classic cyberpunk fans, but it's kinda misleading too. I mean, it's hard to write classic cyberpunk fiction and have it resonate with people, but it's sort of in this order.

1. 50% of the original genre was cribbed from 1940s noir or 1960s gadgety spy stories. At the time, adding IN THE FUTURE was enough to make that pretty novel, but today it's gotten so common that it won't float a story on its own.
2. A lot of the original predictions used in classic cyberpunk are horribly dated and wrong: either so many ideas hinged on incorrect future predictions or tech every child knows doesn't work that way: 80s cyberpunk written anew looks wrong for the same reason why you wouldn't write sci-fi today where a veteran of the atomic wars is fighting snake people in the jungles of Venus.
3. A lot of the high-tech and societal elements of classic cyberpunk were literally just around the corner, or even already in place but not that visible to many people. They're not only true, they were true shortly after the publication date, and weren't terribly prescient. They are, as you say, no longer a glimpse into what the near future may hold.

So yeah, traditional 1980s cyberpunk looks dated today, but "because we're living in that dystopic future!" is a gross exaggeration.

4. Kowloon Walled City has already come and gone. We're in a post-future society.

Most of the genre was crap though, even the celebrated books. I didn't like Neuromancer and I thought Snow Crash just petered out towards the end. Part of the issue is if you write a future with sufficiently powerful AI/super hackers/whatever so the reader is awed by them, you've also written in the Deus Ex Machina that you're going to use in your climax. The only prediction that's still pending that anyone cares about is Decking, and everyone was horrified when Facebook bought the rights to it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've brought it up before but all of these laws would be irrelevant if they'd just remove the exclusion of people who are transgender from the ADA.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

None of the people actually involved with passage of this bill will be impacted by this. Hope this helps.

If this results in Title IX issues and adversely affects Duke and/or UNC's basketball program that'd cause fallout on par with what Jindal would've faced had his stupidity shut down LSU's football program.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

I've brought it up before but all of these laws would be irrelevant if they'd just remove the exclusion of people who are transgender from the ADA.

People might be reluctant to be classified as having a disability. This is already a huge issue, esp. for vets with PTSD, TBI, or other MI issues.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

People might be reluctant to be classified as having a disability. This is already a huge issue, esp. for vets with PTSD, TBI, or other MI issues.

This has more to do with the social stigma associated with persons with a disability as if they're not complete people.

GLAAD has filed a lawsuits regarding this and this may end up going to the Supreme Court because of the phrasing of the ADA language. The case is still not finished I don't believe. The phrasing and language at the time was to lump people who are transgender in with people who are also pedophiles.

ADA language definition of what a disability is

quote:

The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. This includes people who have a record of such an impairment, even if they do not currently have a disability. It also includes individuals who do not have a disability but are regarded as having a disability

It's a legal definition.

If this is removed from the ADA (which it's possible it will be ) because the ADA rules can be interpreted by the DOJ and they release new requirements every few years.

So it's completely possible that the DOJ could just say " Yea, this is a old definition, persons who are transgender are protected by the ADA".

This may actually happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Right, right. I'm speaking more about the politics and popularity of such a shift rather than the legal aspects.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned LePage's lovely "April Fools" joke yet.

quote:

Maine's governor pulled a political April Fool's joke on a newly-elected lawmaker by cancelling her swearing-in ceremony Friday — after she and her family had already driven 72 miles to the state capital.

The reason? Gov. Paul LePage was seeking payback for the Democrats rejecting his pick for the unemployment insurance commission on Thursday.

"If this is his idea of an April Fool's joke, it is not funny," Maine Democratic Party Chairman Phil Bartlett said in a statement.

Adrienne Bennett, a spokeswoman for the tough-talking Republican governor, admitted her boss cancelled Susan Deschambault's ceremony because her party voted down the nomination of Steven Webster, a former cop who is a fixture on conservative talk radio in Maine. She said Webster was treated "despicably," according to NECN.

Bennett did not respond to an email from NBC News asking if anybody tried to alert Deschambault before she made the trek north to Augusta.

Deschambault, who lives in Biddeford, had no idea the event was cancelled until after she arrived at 9 a.m. with her brood at the governor's office at the Statehouse in Augusta, Maine.

"She was contacted by the governor's office yesterday that she would be sworn-in today," said Jeremy Kennedy, executive director of the Maine Democratic Party.

Bartlett blasted LePage. "Once again, the Governor decides to throw a temper tantrum and refuse to do his job because he did not get his way," he said in a statement.

Deschambault won a special election Tuesday to serve out the rest of the term of former state Sen. David Dutremble, another Biddeford Democrat who resigned the seat in January.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned LePage's lovely "April Fools" joke yet.

You mean LePage's future corruption charge and court case?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Right, right. I'm speaking more about the politics and popularity of such a shift rather than the legal aspects.

Yeah, it most certainly is a very nuanced issue. I've dealt with more than a few of these discussions and it really comes down to the social stigma of persons with disabilities.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/us/politics/obama-donald-trump-economy-indiana.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=

Once again, this is why some places are going to be impossible to appeal to. People whose livelihoods were saved by Obama, but want Trump because racism and sexism.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey guys, if you ever wanted to see Michael Hayden get the grilling of his life here's a pretty amazing interview:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5fqPpX70jY

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Al-Saqr posted:

hey guys, if you ever wanted to see Michael Hayden get the grilling of his life here's a pretty amazing interview:-

This is a really great illustration of just how much difference an interviewer can really make in the way an interviewee comes across, or presents their case. Go watch Hayden on Bill Maher and compare the two, it's a night and day difference.

Why can't we have good journalists on American news :smith:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Blindeye posted:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/us/politics/obama-donald-trump-economy-indiana.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=

Once again, this is why some places are going to be impossible to appeal to. People whose livelihoods were saved by Obama, but want Trump because racism and sexism.

God, gently caress these people.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Al-Saqr posted:

That is an extraordinary interview. And the extraordinary thing is that this is so unique in that it's actual, adversarial interviewing which is about as rare as a goddamn unicorn these days. It just makes me :smith:

Also Michael Hayden is a disgusting, morally bankrupt reptile.

The second part of the interview is just as extraordinary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGK_Q4VZGck

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 2, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

On Terra Firma posted:

God, gently caress these people.

To be fair, going from unemployed to employed but working four part time jobs isn't that much of an improvement.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ComradeCosmobot posted:

To be fair, going from unemployed to employed but working four part time jobs isn't that much of an improvement.

Yet they'd malign anyone asking for a living wage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ComradeCosmobot posted:

At least their kids they don't see have 3 meals a day.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

23 dollar an hour jobs in Indiana is no joke, and if they're trying to bite out of homeless shelters you bet 4 jobs is not the norm. Plus the mention in the story about so many jobs that can allow single-earner lifestyles.

Thanks, Obama.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

fool_of_sound posted:

I can't believe we're living in the Shadowrun future jesus christ.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I've heard he has tiny claws.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zerilan posted:

I've heard he has tiny claws.

Dunkelzahn was a cool guy wth very large claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

vorebane posted:

Dunkelzahn was a cool guy wth very large claws.

Would you say his claws were YUUUUUGE?

• Locked thread