Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

no it wouldnt. usb was poo poo in 2012 when lighting showed up and the only reason its not poo poo now is that apple donated the usb c design. you dont deserve an iphone. go get an android with your android-tier port

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mods trying to bury the truth

free poty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

free poty

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Management posted:

free poty

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

yeah weren't apple one of the larger contributor to the type c standard while they made their own lightning connector? while the micro usb had stuff like these

along with other plugs like the usb micro-a that can be broken easily by being connected the wrong way

also seems like apple are combining thunderbolt 3 with type c so it can be used for just about everything too

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/716086686342455300

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A large group of like-minded people gathered outdoors to communally drink something at the behest of their leader

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

except for all the lardasses jerking it in traffic

Well if they're jerking it with the hand wearing the Watch......

they'd get a hell of a work out, holy gently caress they're heavy

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Encrypted posted:

also seems like apple are combining thunderbolt 3 with type c so it can be used for just about everything too

I'm really hoping this is the case. USB-C form factor Thunderbolt 3 and Macbooks that can be powered from _any_ TB3 port in addition to a MagSafe.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

8 hours usage and I still have 32% battery. loving glorious device

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hemick posted:

I'm really hoping this is the case. USB-C form factor Thunderbolt 3 and Macbooks that can be powered from _any_ TB3 port in addition to a MagSafe.

it seems to be a general industry push, at least for the higher end laptops

makes sense too, since it saves space

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

computer parts posted:

it seems to be a general industry push, at least for the higher end laptops

makes sense too, since it saves space

if it legit does everything, display, power, data, it's going to need a better name than "Thunderbolt 3"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FireWire 2?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thats what its always been. Steeve Jobs was caresalt that everyone decided that USB was way smarter than FireWire, and he never got over it. Like everything else, Tim doesn't understand what he was doing.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

here's a cool graphic that puts Apple current SKU's into perspective: https://www.popchartlab.com/products/the-insanely-great-history-of-apple-3-0

they're releasing fewer products in the 90's, but far more in mobile than ever

Larry Parrish posted:

Thats what its always been. Steeve Jobs was caresalt that everyone decided that USB was way smarter than FireWire, and he never got over it. Like everything else, Tim doesn't understand what he was doing.

Thunderbolt was great for apple, though

1. there's a small handful of users getting every inch of performance out of it. pro users. and it's a "mac/book pro" so they expect the cutting edge. even though most macbook pro users aren't really pro users and will never use it, they have to build the product for that target market.

2. it shares the DP port. it doesn't take up any additional space on the device and nothing changes for most users. neither really helps nor hurts to have it. you need a display-out port anyway and the port is there and TB is included in the chipset.

3. it's just a precursor to USB-C. they tried out the tech and got manufacturers making stuff, but perhaps the real benefit for consumers rather than prosumers will come in USB-C form?

when they announced thunderbolt they never made it sound like it would benefit everyone, anyway. mostly aimed at video editors in how they talked about it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

here's a cool graphic that puts Apple current SKU's into perspective: https://www.popchartlab.com/products/the-insanely-great-history-of-apple-3-0

they're releasing fewer products in the 90's, but far more in mobile than ever

Thunderbolt was great for apple, though

1. there's a small handful of users getting every inch of performance out of it. pro users. and it's a "mac/book pro" so they expect the cutting edge. even though most macbook pro users aren't really pro users and will never use it, they have to build the product for that target market.

2. it shares the DP port. it doesn't take up any additional space on the device and nothing changes for most users. neither really helps nor hurts to have it. you need a display-out port anyway and the port is there and TB is included in the chipset.

3. it's just a precursor to USB-C. they tried out the tech and got manufacturers making stuff, but perhaps the real benefit for consumers rather than prosumers will come in USB-C form?

when they announced thunderbolt they never made it sound like it would benefit everyone, anyway. mostly aimed at video editors in how they talked about it.

actually thunderbolt is a steaming pile and i have literally endless intermittent problems with every firewire/TB peripheral not being seen by the computer (2015 mac mini max level murdered out edition) and only some arcane sequence of unplugging, rebooting, replugging, and chanting voodoo rituals gets them to come online all together. in my theatre. this is in reference to our audiofire 12 which works over tb, i think its tb to firewire. wnayays its alwatys hosed up whereas the usb -> dmx out to the dimmers has literally never had a single problem.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

have you considered that maybe you're the problem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thunderbolt is trash that failed so hard even apple abandoned it in favor of usb

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

have you considered that maybe you're the problem

Considering my blood-filled-body is not an audio interface, no, I haven't considered that.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I thought thunderbolt and usb-c are virtually the same thing now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PleasureKevin posted:

anyway to pop out that image rather than looking at it in a tiny rear end flash frame or whatever?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theultimo posted:

I thought thunderbolt and usb-c are virtually the same thing now

thunderbolt is pcie+display port

usb-c ports can have thunderbolt 3 mode and conform to the usb-c spec but they're not the same thing at all

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

actually thunderbolt is a steaming pile and i have literally endless intermittent problems with every firewire/TB peripheral not being seen by the computer (2015 mac mini max level murdered out edition) and only some arcane sequence of unplugging, rebooting, replugging, and chanting voodoo rituals gets them to come online all together. in my theatre. this is in reference to our audiofire 12 which works over tb, i think its tb to firewire. wnayays its alwatys hosed up whereas the usb -> dmx out to the dimmers has literally never had a single problem.

did you say the litany of connection before plugging it in? the machine god does not like it if you don't do that

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Smythe posted:

Are you using peripherals connected by a swappable TB cable in between or are these peripherals with a TB cable pigtail that you can't remove? This is important!!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

when thunderbolt first hit all my audio buddies were like all excited to buy thunderbolt dacs and i was like whyyyyyyyyyy

gotta maximize your incompatibility for superior audio streams

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

thunderbolt is pcie+display port

usb-c ports can have thunderbolt 3 mode and conform to the usb-c spec but they're not the same thing at all

usb-c is the backdoor through which thunderbolt will sneak into high performance devices, and they'll fall back to usb transport if your computer is bad

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Did they increase the scrolling inertia in safari in 9.3

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Millstone posted:

This is the kind of gay poo poo that should be a setting but because Apple Software Just Works if you dont like whatever the fucktarded develoeprs felt like doing, you're just SOL.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Millstone posted:

I think it's the same as other apps now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Larry Parrish posted:

This is the kind of gay poo poo that should be a setting but because Apple Software Just Works if you dont like whatever the fucktarded develoeprs felt like doing, you're just SOL.

why? what use case do you have for adjusting the speed of inertial scrolling?

why add yet another drop down or slider hidden behind eight layers of menus to control something that only control-freak spergs have even considered? that's the reason android is unusable poo poo, millions of completely irrelevant customizations

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

infernal machines posted:

why add yet another drop down or slider hidden behind eight layers of menus to control something that only control-freak spergs have even considered? that's the reason android is unusable poo poo, millions of completely irrelevant customizations

This is what mac fags actually believe. Imagine if you couldn't control screen brightness because of Lord Tim's Vision.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but you can, because that's actually a useful setting to adjust

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

This is what mac fags actually believe. Imagine if you couldn't control screen brightness because of Lord Tim's Vision.

I want a slider that controls the amount of time I see your posts

so I can slide it to never

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

There are already tons of control-freak settings for much less useful things and you can also search the settings. Chill.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

but you can, because that's actually a useful setting to adjust

Enjoy your gorilla arms from the poo poo scrolling on slowfari

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

emoji posted:

There are already tons of control-freak settings for much less useful things and you can also search the settings. Chill.

such as?

no seriously, where on android do i adjust the parameters of interface animations?

is there a "don't chug while scrolling plain text setting?"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

carry on then posted:

such as?

no seriously, where on android do i adjust the parameters of interface animations?

is there a "don't chug while scrolling plain text setting?"

developer options , force gpu rendering and whatnot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theultimo posted:

developer options , force gpu rendering and whatnot

wait, android doesn't render everything on the gpu by default?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Management posted:

wait, android doesn't render everything on the gpu by default?

you can force it for 2d drawing

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lord funk posted:

when thunderbolt first hit all my audio buddies were like all excited to buy thunderbolt dacs and i was like whyyyyyyyyyy

gotta maximize your incompatibility for superior audio streams

i still hear audio people praise firewire. apparently things that are unimportant to some consumer-level users are really important to Pro-level users?

also i don't see how thunderbolt maximizes incompatibility when every Mac now has it (save for the Macbook which just has it in another form).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

i still hear audio people praise firewire. apparently things that are unimportant to some consumer-level users are really important to Pro-level users?
as a pro-level user, i have no idea what those benefits could be. my usb rme interface is just as capable as my fw rme interface, and it doesn't need an adapter

PleasureKevin posted:

also i don't see how thunderbolt maximizes incompatibility when every Mac now has it (save for the Macbook which just has it in another form).

sure, but your old laptop? a friend's? macs in 2 years (tbd)?

since there's literally no benefit to thunderbolt, why not just use what every computer already has?

oh look a thunderbolt interface! (also has usb 3.0 so it's useful)
http://rme-shop.com/acatalog/RME-interfaces---Thunderbold.html

also loving lol at the url typo

• Locked thread