Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

How much xp do I get for things killed by discord friendly fire, anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

resistentialism posted:

How much xp do I get for things killed by discord friendly fire, anyways?

If it's anything like confused enemies, hitting themselves counts as your damage (100% xp share) and hitting other enemies (e: including other confused/frenzied monsters) counts as allied damage (50% xp share)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

here we go

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Does invocation skill affect Recite outside of success rate?

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

resistentialism posted:

Discord frenzy doesn't stop a ironbrand convoker's recall.

Good to know.

I typically play crawl late at night, and usually after I've been drinking. Is there a way to query the bots to strip out the games I quit on D:1 when I accidentally chose a character I didn't want so that I can figure out what my true win rate is?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I am Otis posted:

Yes, Recite checks against the monster's HD for whether an effect will occur, and how strong it is. As an example against demons, if you are reciting against something with high HD or have bad Invocations, you're likely to just do stuff like illuminating or dazing them if you succeed. With higher Invocations, you can do stuff like turn them to salt.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

I am Otis posted:

Yes, it affects what resists it (if the target's HD is too high it can't be recited) and the effects you get (salting occurs on valid targets more often at high invocations/low HD)

e:f,b

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

eyebrow posted:

Good to know.

I typically play crawl late at night, and usually after I've been drinking. Is there a way to query the bots to strip out the games I quit on D:1 when I accidentally chose a character I didn't want so that I can figure out what my true win rate is?
I probably have about 15 d:1 quits now just from being blazed and forgetting that Enchanter is not in fact a Skald.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

eyebrow posted:

Good to know.

!lg . !boring / won

edit: !won . !boring works too

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

kaschei posted:

!lg . !boring / won

edit: !won . !boring works too

Thanks, that lets me know my winrate is in fact above 1%! I feel like a pro.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Thanks for the info. I prefer to ask here rather than elsewhere. I've played this game for about 3 years and have wins with a lot of races and most gods (offline tho QQ) but have never even played Zin, Shining One, or Ely. Zin so far is strong. I've got a human glad of zin, and this character is pretty cool.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Daily reminder to always eat your purple:

code:
You have a pair of small horns on your head.
You have sharp toenails.
You are partially covered in icy blue scales (AC +1).
You are partially covered in yellow scales (AC +2).
Your flesh is cold resistant.
Your flesh is very heat resistant.
You are resistant to hostile enchantments.
You passively map the area around you.
Your natural rate of healing is unusually fast.
You are covered in thick fur (AC +2).
I've got a DEFE going right now, just cleaned up two runes, and wow my HP is low and wow can I blast everything down to death faster than ever with this build.

I'd heard the devs singing the praises of how effective poison arrow is, and I believed them, but I didn't really have a clue how powerful it is when Vehumet gifts it to you. Across the screen accurate death to whoever I want. Throw in Bolt of Draining, Fireballs and Freezing Clouds and I am a whirlwind of elemental destruction.

Floorgod has been extraordinarily kind to me as well. Vehumet is offering Fire Storm / Glaciate / Chain Lightning and I'd love to add Fire Storms to my onslaught, but it just doesn't seem necessary. Grand Grimoire / Akashic Records / Tempests / Enchantments all spawned too, so I have my pick of top-of-the-line spells and no clue whether to go for them.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Dee Ehm posted:

I've got a DEFE going right now, just cleaned up two runes, and wow my HP is low and wow can I blast everything down to death faster than ever with this build.

Make sure you remember to do crypt and/or depths before you do V5.

You have some really good gear, if you were to find a Necronomicon you could easily go extended with lich form and fire storm.

You would only need like five or six more charms skill to comfortably learn Haste, and getting air magic up that high would also net you Deflect Missles.

Akett fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 3, 2016

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Dee Ehm posted:

Really, melee damage is an arcane witchcraft that was never meant to be grasped by mortal minds. I hear speech on occasion of a mystical 'fsim' by which you can see your expected damage output versus yaks and stone giants, but how to obtain this information it a mystery.

People use fsim? That's awesome, I wrote that myself. (Ctrl-f in wizard mode.)

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

I am Otis posted:

To expand on what others have already said, recite power is based 50/50 on invocations/piety. Success and power are also directly related.

Whether recite succeeds is based on whether your power exceeds a roll based on target HD. The recite effect is based on by how much your power exceeds the roll (and the type of enemy involved).

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 3, 2016

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Akett posted:

You would only need like five or six more charms skill to comfortably learn Haste, and getting air magic up that high would also net you Deflect Missles.

I already have deflect missiles :v: And I could pick up Haste right now, but I have a wand for that too.

I am showered with blessings here.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Haste is one of the mechanics that will serve your character a lot better as a spell than a consumable. While wands and potions of hasting are obviously useful, their limited nature means you have to save them for tough fights. The advantage of haste as a spell is that you are free to use it whenever you want, which vastly improves your performance in combat. Not necessarily worth the exp to get it reliably castable, but having it as a consumable isn't a reason to not consider it.

With all the changes devs have done I still can't believe haste has been ignored. Its one of the most brain dead spells around and is stupidly powerful.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Internet Kraken posted:

With all the changes devs have done I still can't believe haste has been ignored. Its one of the most brain dead spells around and is stupidly powerful.

Hate got a small nerf, about which I remember you specifically complaining bitterly, by being moved to just the book of Enchantments. That was around 0.15 I think.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

code:
58836 | Slime:4  | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns
58838 | Slime:4  | HP: 4/203 [Dissolution (11)]
Well, that was close.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Honestly at this point I basically ignore haste except against the unique demon bosses & emergency situations. It's obviously strong but contam management is a pain in the rear end and it's usually totally unnecessary.

Dee Ehm posted:

Floorgod has been extraordinarily kind to me as well. Vehumet is offering Fire Storm / Glaciate / Chain Lightning and I'd love to add Fire Storms to my onslaught, but it just doesn't seem necessary. Grand Grimoire / Akashic Records / Tempests / Enchantments all spawned too, so I have my pick of top-of-the-line spells and no clue whether to go for them.

You have way too much spellcasting compared to spell schools, but that's easily remedied. Firestorm and one of glaciate/chain lightning will give you all the coverage you need for 15 runes. Focus on getting one of those three up first, lots of conjurations lots of *element* magic. I recommend chain lightning, the level difference makes a big difference to difficulty and it's good basically everywhere except Zot and Dis. It also gets you a good way towards tornado as an easy pickup, which is a nice bonus. Firestorm is an acceptable alternative for first choice by being good against everything, but it's a little more difficult in both xp cost and usage. Glaciate only has an advantage over the other two of being good against Orbs of Fire or Hell Sentinels who are standing next to you, and given your lack of serious ice investment it would be my last choice.

e: Shatter isn't worth considering at this point, it's a good spell but you have roughly equal xp distribution and the only thing it really excels at killing where the others fail is Hell Sentinels. The earth xp will also do very little else for you, conj investment is enough for iron shot power and LCS is effectively a monster spell. It's a decent third/fourth choice once you get firestorm and the other(s) up if you somehow still have things to kill at that point.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 3, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Haste is one of the mechanics that will serve your character a lot better as a spell than a consumable. While wands and potions of hasting are obviously useful, their limited nature means you have to save them for tough fights. The advantage of haste as a spell is that you are free to use it whenever you want, which vastly improves your performance in combat. Not necessarily worth the exp to get it reliably castable, but having it as a consumable isn't a reason to not consider it.

I'm actually completely on the other side of this opinion. Haste is amazing but it's not hard to get by with it on a wand with the increase in recharging scrolls. Even zigdiving it's very easy to stay haste-neutral and there aren't very many other places where you really need haste outside of escapes or huge waves of dudes where you have time to burn a charge as they appear at edge of LoS.

I've never really felt like my character was much different getting haste castable if I had a wand of it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you aren't slinging three different level 9 nukes while hasted then I don't even want to know you. :colbert:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you aren't slinging three different level 9 nukes while hasted then I don't even want to know you. :colbert:

Haste doesn't make my tornado do any more damage =[

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It does allow you to move and encompass more enemies just outside of range of it, so you could theoretically increase total dps by spinning. :v:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

It does allow you to move and encompass more enemies just outside of range of it, so you could theoretically increase total dps by spinning. :v:

Counterpoint: only cast tornado when monsters are on 100% of tiles

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Superterranean posted:

Hate got a small nerf, about which I remember you specifically complaining bitterly, by being moved to just the book of Enchantments. That was around 0.15 I think.

Yeah cause moving it didn't actually change anything about the way it worked. It just made it more inaccessible, which doesn't improve the nature of the spell.

I don't remember protesting that particular change though.

I Love You! posted:

Counterpoint: only cast tornado when monsters are on 100% of tiles

So when you're doing a Zig?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 3, 2016

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Always Polymorph Grinder:

edit: semi-related question on how to keep Xom entertained, is it hard-coded that he never gets bored if the player is wearing an amulet of faith, or does it just make enough random actions often enough to keep amusement up?

(Xom gets some amusement every(?) time he does something, if some dev wanted to nerf something just to be an evil fun-hater, they would make 'good' actions unamusing when Xom isn't already bored... but don't do this plz)

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 3, 2016

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

silentsnack posted:

Always Polymorph Grinder:

OH MY! Wow... didn't even know that was possible.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Grinder is a really scary polymorph target because he has higher HD than you'd expect (so he tends to turn into tougher monsters), PLUS he's a demon, so he's gonna turn into other demons.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Grinder is a really scary polymorph target because he has higher HD than you'd expect (so he tends to turn into tougher monsters), PLUS he's a demon, so he's gonna turn into other demons.

Xom also has "bad" and "good" polymorph, with bad treating the target as if it had more HD, meaning more dangerous results. Really bad for Grinder since he's already a bad target for polymorphs.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Frenzied slime creatures will merge with other frenzied slime creatures, the turn after slugging each other.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

5 win streak!

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/resistentialism/morgue-resistentialism-20160403-223143.txt

Playing an enchanter/necromancer doesn't make much sense, but playing a vampire whatever that takes kiku is good, and then, you may as well learn how to cast simulacrum because it's a bonkers spell anywhere there are dragons or giants.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Impressive, resistentialism. What's the rest of the streak consist of?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

KoAr pakellas
DsCj vehumet
MfGl ashenzari
MiFi okawaru
VpEn kiku

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sounds like a good time to play a felid!

EDIT: It turns out Zot 5 is a really bad place to take a two long month break on. Who knew.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 4, 2016

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Darox posted:

Honestly at this point I basically ignore haste except against the unique demon bosses & emergency situations. It's obviously strong but contam management is a pain in the rear end and it's usually totally unnecessary.

You have way too much spellcasting compared to spell schools, but that's easily remedied. Firestorm and one of glaciate/chain lightning will give you all the coverage you need for 15 runes. Focus on getting one of those three up first, lots of conjurations lots of *element* magic. I recommend chain lightning, the level difference makes a big difference to difficulty and it's good basically everywhere except Zot and Dis. It also gets you a good way towards tornado as an easy pickup, which is a nice bonus. Firestorm is an acceptable alternative for first choice by being good against everything, but it's a little more difficult in both xp cost and usage. Glaciate only has an advantage over the other two of being good against Orbs of Fire or Hell Sentinels who are standing next to you, and given your lack of serious ice investment it would be my last choice.

e: Shatter isn't worth considering at this point, it's a good spell but you have roughly equal xp distribution and the only thing it really excels at killing where the others fail is Hell Sentinels. The earth xp will also do very little else for you, conj investment is enough for iron shot power and LCS is effectively a monster spell. It's a decent third/fourth choice once you get firestorm and the other(s) up if you somehow still have things to kill at that point.

Thanks for the feedback. This isn't my first time taking a spellcaster for the rodeo of a win or through extended, though this is the squishiest one I've played yet. I'm kinda curious about my chances at something like a megazig... I cleared a zig only once myself, as a DrCj^Chei who spammed CBoE, Shatter and abused Statue Form and a maxed out Rod of Inaccuracy / Clouds. Some different level 9 spells, Vehumet, and not being slow probably has better chances of doing a megazig, but I don't like my elven flimsiness. Any suggestions or feedback on what to do if I wanna do a megazig or even two (not going for the endless waves you do!).

Edit: Oh hey, a Necronomicon on Depths 1. Guess I'll be using that then.

Double Edit: Oh hey, a wand of heal wounds. Stop giving me more power game, this is too much!

Triple Edit: quick blade? Don't mind if I do!

Edit the 4th: Or do I want the Lajatang of Order? I give up a shield, but rMut and extra damage to chaos sounds great! Would need to train staves though.

Edit the 5th: Boots of running too, why is Depths 1 so good to me!?

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 4, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Depends what you consider a megazig. I usually consider it being around the 8th zig, that's when they start being completely filled on every level, you have all relevant skills maxed out and ~90% of the fixedarts.

If you're lucky you can trivially take any zig with just the level 9 spells. An average zig will make you want Deaths Door & Necromut as well. With firestorm and smart play basically none of the serious megazig threats that require other items/spells will surface in your first 3~ zigs, the enemies aren't dense enough. A deep elf isn't as safe as a powered-by-death demonspawn but it's still good enough.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Darox posted:

Depends what you consider a megazig. I usually consider it being around the 8th zig, that's when they start being completely filled on every level, you have all relevant skills maxed out and ~90% of the fixedarts.

If you're lucky you can trivially take any zig with just the level 9 spells. An average zig will make you want Deaths Door & Necromut as well. With firestorm and smart play basically none of the serious megazig threats that require other items/spells will surface in your first 3~ zigs, the enemies aren't dense enough. A deep elf isn't as safe as a powered-by-death demonspawn but it's still good enough.

Finished a Zig (and Cocytus) to get Death's Door / Necromutation online, I'm now realizing I have no idea how to use DDoor, and the nature of it requires that I actually do know how to use it.

What do you do with Death's Door? What sort of situation do I use it in, and how long does it last? I've got 8 pips of power in it.

Also, having all three major wands and 14 blink scrolls / 11 Holy Word scrolls is nice... no magic potions not so much.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Dee Ehm posted:

Finished a Zig (and Cocytus) to get Death's Door / Necromutation online, I'm now realizing I have no idea how to use DDoor, and the nature of it requires that I actually do know how to use it.

What do you do with Death's Door? What sort of situation do I use it in, and how long does it last? I've got 8 pips of power in it.

Also, having all three major wands and 14 blink scrolls / 11 Holy Word scrolls is nice... no magic potions not so much.

Your health gets locked at pow/10 for the duration which also depends on power. While active nothing can heal you, nothing can hurt you, you are entirely invulnerable; the only way to die is to drown. You get one warning before it ends, after which you have 1-3 turns of exhaustion and can't recast it. The warning happens reasonably early (you should be able to get a teleport off before it ends, for example) so make use of it.

General DDoor protocol is to use it whenever your health is in the danger zone and either kill everything or bail and find a quiet hole, depending. Undead can't use it, including liches, so be careful about lichform.

Borgs breaks deaths door and fully heals you, but it also paralyses and confuses you when it does that. It's also one of the spells Kiku boosts, but that's not really important.

WARNING: Using deaths door is highly addictive and you will end up acquiring it on every character that can possibly use it, because it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there any word on when the scoring for webtiles might be fixed?

• Locked thread