Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

it was an absolutely insane idea. more so than most of their insane ideas and i can't believe they actually proprosed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Current Tory policy: Jeremy Corbyn is unelectable!!! *shitts into hands, rubs it all over the country*

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I love the fact that the row is over how much it would cost, not over the fact that it's batshit insane.

"I agree with the demolition of state education, removal of local and national accountability, removal of pay and conditions protection for teachers, and removal of the requirement to teach the national curriculum. I just think it would be TOO EXPENSIVE!" A Tory MP, probably.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

it was an absolutely insane idea. more so than most of their insane ideas and i can't believe they actually proprosed it

It makes Nicky Morgan stridently telling NASUWT there is 'no reverse gear' on acadamisation particularly hilarious if it turns out they can't even get it through parliament.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So this would be the 2nd U-Turn from the budget in less than a month? It really looks like they're going for the jugular and shanking Osborne before the inevitable leadership election this year.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Unless Leave wins the EU debate, Cameron isn't stepping down for another two or three years. They won a majority less than a year ago. Candidates are starting to put their plans in motion to position themselves for it when it does happen, but there's no indication there will be a leadership election until probably 2019.

What was he comparing terms to when he said "two are great, three may be too many", was it Weetabix?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think cameron ever expected to stand down so early unless we vote to leave

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Jeremy Corbyn Denton: I know your UNATCO killphrase: Laputan economist. 
George Osborne: I am not a econo... 
Jeremy Corbyn Denton: Sticks and stones. 
[Osbourne explodes] 

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The current climate makes me think Cameron will accelerate his plans to leave. Rats off a sinking ship and all that. Even if the UK votes remain the Tory party will have caused irredeemable harm to itself in the process and we're seeing now that they're more than willing to poison the well. It's going to get even worse the closer we get to the vote.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The shine is starting to come off a bit now that people are remembering that, hosed up as FPTP and the Westminster system are, winning a majority of 12 actually isn't the same thing as being voted immortal god-emperors of the universe.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hoops posted:

Unless Leave wins the EU debate, Cameron isn't stepping down for another two or three years. They won a majority less than a year ago. Candidates are starting to put their plans in motion to position themselves for it when it does happen, but there's no indication there will be a leadership election until probably 2019.

What was he comparing terms to when he said "two are great, three may be too many", was it Weetabix?

I can see the appeal of Cameron holding on, since he knows his smarmy brand of Blairism is all that's keeping a somewhat palatable face on the Tory party. But isn't it an equally risky strategy to leave the leadership change to near the election? He might hold on to popularity now, but he would be banking on people voting for someone they barely know as a leader.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its thought that anyone who takes over will call an election despite the fixed term parliament act to legitimize them being leader.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The current climate makes me think Cameron will accelerate his plans to leave. Rats off a sinking ship and all that. Even if the UK votes remain the Tory party will have caused irredeemable harm to itself in the process and we're seeing now that they're more than willing to poison the well. It's going to get even worse the closer we get to the vote.

Yeah, one way or another I think Cameron's going to jump soon. He'll get his somehow, and then abandon the lot of them to battle for the title once he's gone.

Unless it's the pig photo that's keeping him there...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

its thought that anyone who takes over will call an election despite the fixed term parliament act to legitimize them being leader.

I dunno, I could see the media doing absolutely nothing like the UNELECTED PM shitshow they broke out for poor auld Gordie Broon. Boris will just ruffle his hair and cruise through to 2020.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sebzilla posted:

I dunno, I could see the media doing absolutely nothing like the UNELECTED PM shitshow they broke out for poor auld Gordie Broon. Boris will just ruffle his hair and cruise through to 2020.

the media might not but i imagine his replacement candidates will campaign on it because they expect it to be a big deal

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Not Operator posted:

Not quite on par, but I saw my first UKIP sticker in the wild today while visiting family near Glasgow. I wish I'd taken pictures, because it was on the worst minivan I've ever seen. It had decals and stickers on it for Campbell's Ozone Therapy Trust, theguysname.faithweb.com, electromedicine(?), and one that just said "Guysname Reborn". The guy that eventually got into it was wearing a t-shirt with the virgin Mary on the front.

It was a really odd sight.

edit: actually, I shouldn't have censored his name since I just googled that he's a former UKIP candidate and prophet who shills machines called things like Photon Genie.

Still better then the Scottish Republican Caz Paul bastard.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"young voters could hold key" in the EU referendum vote, according to the Guardian.

So that'll be a victory for Leave, then.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Angepain posted:

"young voters could hold key" in the EU referendum vote, according to the Guardian.

So that'll be a victory for Leave, then.

I still think Mandatory voting should be a thing..

And it would be even more concrete if pro-eu young people didn't actually vote.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Nonsense posted:

I'm Mikey Gove

He looks like he smells terrible.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
I feel like I'm a bit late to the party in noticing that the best thing they could come up with as a symbol for their vote leave campaign is a ballot box. They must have been up all night thinking of that one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kaislioc posted:

I feel like I'm a bit late to the party in noticing that the best thing they could come up with as a symbol for their vote leave campaign is a ballot box. They must have been up all night thinking of that one.

oh, I've genuinely been seeing it as one of the autosave icons from Assassin's Creed.

Brexit(tm) by Abstergo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kaislioc posted:

I genuinely didn't even notice.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't that better than the opposite case, where Google was accused of keeping people in a filter bubble based on their demographic?

I remember them doing a test where people from one demographic searching for abortion were shown clinics in their area and people from another were shown Catholic Encyclopedia articles on the sanctity of life.

Wow, I had no idea things like this happened. I guess it's inadvertent and just based off predominant searches in your area or something, but still really, really creepy.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Prince John posted:

Wow, I had no idea things like this happened. I guess it's inadvertent and just based off predominant searches in your area or something, but still really, really creepy.

Google does a lot of things like that. You can see what google's specific profile assumptions are for you (or turn off profiling) here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

Nah, it's just analysis of search history vs. click-through. It's meant to try and tailor results for things like technical experts vs. luddities or history experts vs. people just wanting to find if Hitler had one ball.

It makes sense in that regard, just led to political bubbles.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

blunt posted:

Google does a lot of things like that. You can see what google's specific profile assumptions are for you (or turn off profiling) here

That's really quite interesting, and its almost 100% correct for me, apart from the leading subject of interest "Brazilian Music". Wut?

If you have location services turned on on your android phone this is an interesting link (if you are logged in with the same account) https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Both/neither. I had to wait ages. If you've definitely failed, you get told quite quickly. If you've absolutely excelled, you get told quite quickly. If you're in the middle where they actually have to conduct a thorough review to weigh you up against the other candidates, it takes a hell of a long time.

that's what I figured: which means that I've gone better than I thought I did since I thought that I royally hosed it up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheHoodedClaw posted:

That's really quite interesting, and its almost 100% correct for me, apart from the leading subject of interest "Brazilian Music". Wut?

If you have location services turned on on your android phone this is an interesting link (if you are logged in with the same account) https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/

Mine said that I was into Bollywood & South Asian cinema. Which is pretty far from true & I have no idea how they got that. Also "dolls & accessories"? But yeah. Broadly speaking Google is pretty good at data mining or whatever they call it

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Mines all messed up mostly due to having a media pc hooked up in the front room which anyone will use to make searches.

It's good to keep Google on their toes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing it guessed about me was an age range, nothing else.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

OwlFancier posted:

The only thing it guessed about me was an age range, nothing else.
Ditto

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's not guessing, it's goes off your google accounts. Gmail, Google+, etc.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hoops posted:

He said Weetabix, but he was thinking testicles.

Kaislioc posted:

I feel like I'm a bit late to the party in noticing that the best thing they could come up with as a symbol for their vote leave campaign is a ballot box.
I don't know if I should be pleased that the design is so bland I never noticed or upset at my lack of observation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh the Remain logo is like a shitter version of the ITN logo with the T removed, and looks more like a font for a chip shop sign at some godforsaken seaside town.

Of course it looks a lot better as part of it's full logo, BRITAIN STRONGER IN EUROPE, where it just looks like boilerplate pseudo-fascism. I can only imagine what was going on in that meeting.

"Hey, should we address some of the key good things about the EU? How about 'Britain Fairer In Europe'?"
"Why don't we look at the human rights angle? Put 'right' in there or something. 'Remain: It's the Right Way'"
"It's nearly lunch, why don't we just reuse the last one? 'Europe: Better Together'"
*murmurs of agreement begin around the table, but are interrupted by Osborne railing a massive line of coke off a place card and slamming both fists on the table*
"BRITANE STRONG! BRITANE SMASH!"
"Yeah, gently caress it, let's go with that."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Which is why, despite it probably being overall less effective, I'm glad Labour has its own in campaign.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TheHoodedClaw posted:

:tinfoil: It's so conflicting - on the one hand it's really neat to see where you've been, but...but...but.

Guavanaut posted:

"BRITANE STRONG! BRITANE SMASH!"
"Yeah, gently caress it, let's go with that."

This is brilliant.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

So this would be the 2nd U-Turn from the budget in less than a month? It really looks like they're going for the jugular and shanking Osborne before the inevitable leadership election this year.

He's on his arse. I'd love it if Labour went after the smug-faced shitweasle big time now.

And where are all the journos who were falling over themselves to tell us what a fantastic tactical politician he is? George has completely poo poo the bin with his latest budget and you would expect the Graun, at the very least, to start giving the useless oval office a proper kicking.

Fake edit: At least the New Statesman is having a go: Three centuries of data debunks Osborne’s economic theories

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Which is why, despite it probably being overall less effective, I'm glad Labour has its own in campaign.
I don't know why Remain didn't just reuse Better Together though. It's short, to the point, emphasizes unity rather than brute strength and nationalism, it'd trip up those who want Scotland to remain but Britain to exit, and it worked last time.

It might piss off the SNP, but I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus. :v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Well, "Better Together" had to hastily rename itself to "No Thanks" a few months before the election, so I guess they didn't think it was working as well as they'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could bring a beloved British former EU leader out of retirement at the last minute for a rousing speech.

The only heads of government during a British presidency of the CoE still alive are Tony Blair and John Major though :suspense:

There's probably someone working hard behind the scenes to resurrect Jim Callaghan using Keith Richards technology.

• Locked thread