Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Gorbachev DLC character. Make it happen, Capcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fought a bad ken and lost, got a rematch and won. Im glad the rematch system works. Even if i lose twice at least i dont have to wait in between.

Also: when alex has trigger should i just not bother attacking? Its like unlimited parries.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
What's the verdict on those Brook converters? I kinda want to use my X360 stick in local play, the people there are playing on PS4

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Real hurthling! posted:

Fought a bad ken and lost, got a rematch and won. Im glad the rematch system works. Even if i lose twice at least i dont have to wait in between.

Also: when alex has trigger should i just not bother attacking? Its like unlimited parries.

If the Alex player looks like he's eager to parry, maybe just do an empty jump and grab him when he charges Heavy Hammer? Then, do it again but immediately neutral jump again when he panics and fires it off too early and punish him for it?

EDIT: That's just me making a shot in the dark; I haven't faced any Alex's yet.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 3, 2016

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Yo what is the name/significance of those scarf deals. You often see depictions of Japanese mythical gods wearing them. I know one of you nerds has to know about this poo poo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If anyone's interested, here is a shitton of Necalli tech.

Spermgod posted:

Yo what is the name/significance of those scarf deals. You often see depictions of Japanese mythical gods wearing them. I know one of you nerds has to know about this poo poo.

Maybe it's cold? :shrug:

Also, shoutouts to Hobojim for some fun games tonight.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 3, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Any Cammy players up to run some sets in the near future? I need to learn the matchup.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
FBA is something you need to use intelligently.

if they aren't knocked down or you aren't comboing it, it isn't the right time for it.

You can use it for shennanigans full screen (and by that i mean literally using it on your closest wall and staying on your side. It gives a good idea as to whether the person will shoryu everything you do aerially early) and even that can obviously be punished by people like dhalsim and nash.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

dhamster posted:

What's the verdict on those Brook converters? I kinda want to use my X360 stick in local play, the people there are playing on PS4

I haven't used mine a ton but I'll have a lot of testing done Monday night. If you remind me I'll report back on it.

Internet says it's really good and I've had no problems so far though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dhamster posted:

They were tested around the time they came out and it was determined they add about half a frame of lag (about 8ms) on top of whatever your stick is currently lagging, which in SFV's case is just about completely insignificant thanks to its lenient inputs and already-lovely 9 frames of lag -- I'm using a PS3 stick, and I don't notice any difference whatsoever between the legacy controller mode and the Brook PS3 -> PS4 converter. I haven't yet tried it in any other games.

They've had some firmware updates since then, no idea if they have any effect on lag (for better or worse,) but as a piece of hardware performing a signal transformation, it will inherently never be perfectly lag-free.

Agoat posted:

I haven't used mine a ton but I'll have a lot of testing done Monday night. If you remind me I'll report back on it.

Internet says it's really good and I've had no problems so far though.

Speaking of Monday night, I'm gonna try to start making it out there after this semester. I thought this Monday would be a good first time, but I can tell I'm just gonna keep ending up with too much schoolwork to spare a whole night.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 3, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
They're also hella convenient. I use an XBONE to PS4 converter and its just plug and play. Super easy to use.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Well, I'm sold, but is there any reason the X360->PS4 super converter wouldn't work with a Qanba Q1?

It's not listed in the list of compatible sticks: http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/22846686/

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
A quick reminder to any Goons looking for online matches, the Discord server has been a great place to chat and find opponents. Consider giving it a visit if you're in for some matches.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

Speaking of Monday night, I'm gonna try to start making it out there after this semester. I thought this Monday would be a good first time, but I can tell I'm just gonna keep ending up with too much schoolwork to spare a whole night.

When is the semester over? If you end up without schoolwork one night definitely try to make it out.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

e; here's my bad Karin video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbtRQlxgSw (I'm aware that I jump too much and am spamming Ressenhas a lot when I shouldn't, just FYI).

When you wrote "I'm aware I am spamming ressenhas a lot when I shouldn't" I was not totally prepared for the sheer number of ressenhas you throw out and the variety of inadvisable situations you employed it in.
I was going to type a lot more than that but I think more than anything else you need to play someone who isn't objectively terrible at the game until you get the random ressenha, unsafe sweep, bad wakeup pressure habits beat out of your system.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Klades posted:

I was going to type a lot more than that but I think more than anything else you need to play someone who isn't objectively terrible at the game until you get the random ressenha, unsafe sweep, bad wakeup pressure habits beat out of your system.

Ouch. :(

I'll try to record myself playing some of the Discord people so you have more to go on.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'll be home in about 2 hours if you wanna play.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Agoat posted:

I'll be home in about 2 hours if you wanna play.

Definitely! I'll be in Discord.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 3, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nice.

Thanks again for the fun games earlier this week agoat.

my brain hurts.

Also why is it everytime i watch one of your videos the suggest links is vice or buzzfeed talking about how penis size may be important to women? and ONLY your videos.

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

I wonder how many of these guys see Alex VS and think I'm taunting

I thought it was his taunt at first too.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is Q chun li's dad?

:aaa:

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
As Cammy, what should I do whenever I manage to knock down an opponent? I used to main Ryu, and with Cammy not having an overhead and it being some pretty finicky cross up options, I'm almost feeling like I'm at a disadvantage after knocking someone down.

And is there any time that her Hooligan isn't completely useless? Seems like most characters can just light punch her out of the sky. And the kick follow up is insanely unsafe.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 3, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

zooted heh posted:

Vegas FBA is the worst speical move in the game. it's loving worthless.

No, the ex you can use to bait people in a footsies war and get some nasty damage in.

his worst attack in the game is his rolling crystal which is punishable in all versions.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Microwaves Mom posted:

No, the ex you can use to bait people in a footsies war and get some nasty damage in.

his worst attack in the game is his rolling crystal which is punishable in all versions.

Wait is this SF4 or SF5? I thought they overhauled Vega in SF5 to make him good and his specials not suck

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Wait is this SF4 or SF5? I thought they overhauled Vega in SF5 to make him good and his specials not suck

His specials don't suck. You just can't spam them stupidly and expect to get away with it. His rolling attack is a magnificent corner carry move, and is his highest damage meterless combo special. His light rolling attack even has utility as an anti-air in certain matchups. Just don't throw it out there where it can be blocked, and you'll do fine with it.

What sucks about Vega is that all of his anti airs are very situational, he's got no reversals, is helpless on wakeup, has poor crush counter moves, his V-skill is probably the worst in the game, his V-reversal is useless in the corner, has no true block strings, and has no crush counter frame trap. His normals and special moves are fine. People might as well complain about Ryu because if you do his shoryuken all the time, you get blown up for it.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

oswald ownenstein posted:

Well it's not punishable in sf4 except by some supers.

THIS HAS BEEN YOUR USELESS VEGA SHENANIGAN OF THE MONTH AND PROBABLY THE LAST ONE EVER.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

A.o.D. posted:

His specials don't suck. You just can't spam them stupidly and expect to get away with it. His rolling attack is a magnificent corner carry move, and is his highest damage meterless combo special. His light rolling attack even has utility as an anti-air in certain matchups. Just don't throw it out there where it can be blocked, and you'll do fine with it.

What sucks about Vega is that all of his anti airs are very situational, he's got no reversals, is helpless on wakeup, has poor crush counter moves, his V-skill is probably the worst in the game, his V-reversal is useless in the corner, has no true block strings, and has no crush counter frame trap. His normals and special moves are fine. People might as well complain about Ryu because if you do his shoryuken all the time, you get blown up for it.

I'd much rather have the claw dive he had in SFIV that went through projectiles over the rolling crystal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

As Cammy, what should I do whenever I manage to knock down an opponent? I used to main Ryu, and with Cammy not having an overhead and it being some pretty finicky cross up options, I'm almost feeling like I'm at a disadvantage after knocking someone down.

And is there any time that her Hooligan isn't completely useless? Seems like most characters can just light punch her out of the sky. And the kick follow up is insanely unsafe.

V skill is good on wake up. Vary distance to create the mix up of which side you show up on. Short range hooligan are good too since you can come out of them 3 different ways. For overhead, try forward jump lk, its pretty fast.

Hooligan should be used to punish from short to mid range so they cant react with a move and have to guess how to protect themselves, its not to get in off using it raw except maybe the ex kick ended version. The throw option can also punish jumps.

Im not very good though so maybe i dont know

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'd much rather have the claw dive he had in SFIV that went through projectiles over the rolling crystal.

FBA never went through projectiles.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

A.o.D. posted:

FBA never went through projectiles.

he's talking about ex sky high claw, the onliniest move sf4 vega had

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Real hurthling! posted:

V skill is good on wake up. Vary distance to create the mix up of which side you show up on. Short range hooligan are good too since you can come out of them 3 different ways. For overhead, try forward jump lk, its pretty fast.

Hooligan should be used to punish from short to mid range so they cant react with a move and have to guess how to protect themselves, its not to get in off using it raw except maybe the ex kick ended version. The throw option can also punish jumps.

Im not very good though so maybe i dont know

Thanks! I'm looking up videos online right now. I've been unable to win a single ranked match with her so I've been really tempted to go back to Ryu. Gonna give it a couple more shots, though.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I took everyone's advice on fba and I wana ask. when you have your oppoent in the corner which side should I be coming down on? on his left to keep him in the corner? also should I take the claw off when he's in the corner?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

zooted heh posted:

I took everyone's advice on fba and I wana ask. when you have your oppoent in the corner which side should I be coming down on? on his left to keep him in the corner? also should I take the claw off when he's in the corner?

That's the mix up. Make them guess left/right/throw. If you throw, you get to choose where they get dropped.

taking off the claw isn't a bad idea, because if you hit them while they're still on the ground, you can combo into a crouching MP, and then combo normally from that (perhaps with another EX FBA to reset back the the same mixup). If you don't have meter, you can hit the cr. MP, then shuffle forward into a reset with Vega's command throw for yet another type of mixup, which again gives you another opportunity to send a wakeup mixup at your opponent.

Weremacht posted:

he's talking about ex sky high claw, the onliniest move sf4 vega had

Oh yeah, that thing. It was only good against dumb, slow fireballers that liked to chuck plasma from 3/4 to full screen, because that move wasn't projectile invulnerable on the way up.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 3, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

Thanks! I'm looking up videos online right now. I've been unable to win a single ranked match with her so I've been really tempted to go back to Ryu. Gonna give it a couple more shots, though.

At low levels ranked is fully of people mashing buttons so you don't get to learn much. Hop on Discord with us!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The problem I have with Q being secretly Dorai is that I thought that it's been been implied he had a hand in training Chun Li before his death, but Q sure doesn't fight like a kung fu master. I guess that could be his way of covering up his identity, if they go that way.

Also, I don't recognize a bunch of those characters, are they gonna be DLC?

Oh, and that Mika partner, I suspect, might be based on the joshi wrestler KANA, who was known for taking liberties with her opponents if she disliked them, and had a habit of having really brutal matches where she'd KO people with hard kicks.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For Cammy wakeup pressure ya got low/medium/throw mixup, jump left/right mixup, vskill left/right mixup, and hooligan, that's probably in order of safety.

Meaty throw or stMP>crMP is easy and safe. Throw kinda sucks cause you reset pressure. stMP>crMP meaty is a frame trap that combos, finish with drill or spike or whatever if the first hit connects.

jLK>crLP>crLP for a left right mixup, end with drill or spike if the first or second hit connect. If you're feelin saucy, jump from closer so it'll be a cross up but fake and do a same side divekick.

Vskill as mentioned to left/right, I think it's harder to get the safe meaty timing but it's plus on block for a safe trap/combo, but it's good to give your opponent something else to worry about.

Hooligan is a worse (I think?) version of the vskill mixup, kind of gimmicky but throw it in erry now and again to give them something else to worry about.

Easy stuff to start with is just switching between throw and stMP, and jLK around cross up range

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The problem I have with Q being secretly Dorai is that I thought that it's been been implied he had a hand in training Chun Li before his death, but Q sure doesn't fight like a kung fu master. I guess that could be his way of covering up his identity, if they go that way.

Being dead/almost dead for awhile and then turning into a robot monster man changes a man.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

He's also dead, and a cyborg, so that's probably changed his fighting style somewhat.

e;fb :argh:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Where's a good place to post rage quitters? "BlackSixteen" just pulled the plug right when I won. I remember as the KO flashed across the screen seeing he had 10 wins in a row and think, "How the hell did this guy get ten wins??" Then disconnected message. loving lol.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Doesn't Akuma refer to Q as 'corpse' in his post-win quote?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Also, I don't recognize a bunch of those characters, are they gonna be DLC?

Lot of redesigned characters from SF 1, (Literally the entire cast) including people who were never playable characters, or just uber bland. (Looking at you, Joe and Mike) Plus some of them are just barely recognizable, like updated Go Hibiki and Akuma.

I think probably with SF 5 they're just keeping options open and requesting a lot of art redesigns to see what hits or even what updated goofballs they can throw into story mode for nostalgia feels. They're hoping the game does well enough to poo poo out a million DLC characters either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

madmac posted:

Lot of redesigned characters from SF 1, (Literally the entire cast) including people who were never playable characters, or just uber bland. (Looking at you, Joe and Mike) Plus some of them are just barely recognizable, like updated Go Hibiki and Akuma.

I think probably with SF 5 they're just keeping options open and requesting a lot of art redesigns to see what hits or even what updated goofballs they can throw into story mode for nostalgia feels. They're hoping the game does well enough to poo poo out a million DLC characters either way.

I was hyped as gently caress when I saw Amar, because I initially thought it was Darun Mister, who was one of the Arika EX fighters I wish they'd port over. Him, Skullomania, Pullum Purna, and C.Jack (who I think would make a good Balrog rival). I'd also like to see them use a couple of the Rival Schools guys, like Shoma, Batsu, Kyosuke or Hinata.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2016