Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My father's a huge cinephile so I grew up on cool old french movies, like Les Disparus de St-Agil (The Vanished of St-Agil, a story about teenagers investigating a mystery at a pre-war boardig school) or L'Assassinat du Père Noël (The Assasination of Santa Claus, in an isolated french mountain village, someone has killed Santa Claus).

One of m favorite was a cartoon movie called Le Roi et l'Oiseau (The King and the Mockingbird), which I must have seen at least 50 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tE5902k3nE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I probably watched Ghostbusters over 100 times before I was ten years old.

I've seen the Evil Dead trilogy probably 20 times each.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's the right reaction but otherwise what's the deal there? Did he have a thing for Julia Roberts?

Any time anyone in our family tried to isolate something about Notting Hill in order to get him hype about something else - Julia Roberts is in it, Hugh Grant is in it, the same guy wrote it, etc. - his reaction would be complete disinterest. Dude just really wanted to come home from a brutal 16-hour workday, watch Notting Hill, and go to sleep

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Semper Fudge posted:

Right after I moved out of my parents house the only thing I had was a laptop with a broken disc drive (couldn't afford internet at the time) and a tiny CRT TV with a built in VHS player. The only VHS I owned? Rain Man. Because of this I've seen Rain Man at least 150 times.

are you sure it wasn't your reflection in a broken crt

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jenny Angel posted:

Any time anyone in our family tried to isolate something about Notting Hill in order to get him hype about something else - Julia Roberts is in it, Hugh Grant is in it, the same guy wrote it, etc. - his reaction would be complete disinterest. Dude just really wanted to come home from a brutal 16-hour workday, watch Notting Hill, and go to sleep
Ask yourselves CineD, who is the real film lover here?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
As I've said I've watched The Empire Strikes Back every week for 20 or so years. So I've seen it probably close to over a 1000 times. I've got about 75% to 85% of the dialogue memorized. It's just a weird thing I do to relax. I also just put it on when I'm doing work at my house or I'm reading a book or if I'm trying to go to sleep.

Basically, I started doing this when I was around 14 with a VHS copy which I'd just endlessly watch whenever I had to study for school. Then when I went to college I did the same thing except it was on my computer at that point. So I'd just watch it or put it on when I wanted to go to sleep. Then when I was working as a EMT if I had a bad day I'd end my shift with watching it.

So now it's a actual like weird OCD thing.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 3, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Everyone name a movie you've watched more than twenty times that wasn't something constantly on TV like Just One Of The Guys.

Most of the Godzilla movies, good chunk of the Universal Classic Horror series, and RoboCop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hollismason posted:

As I've said I've watched The Empire Strikes Back every week for 20 or so years. So I've seen it probably close to over a 1000 times. I've got about 75% to 85% of the dialogue memorized. It's just a weird thing I do to relax. I also just put it on when I'm doing work at my house or I'm reading a book or if I'm trying to go to sleep.

Do you not just find yourself idly masturbating to it?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Everyone name a movie you've watched more than twenty times that wasn't something constantly on TV like Just One Of The Guys.

Spring Breakers
Scott Pilgrim
Up
Drive
Probably Homeward Bound and Milo & Otis from when I was a kid.

edit: I saw Up and Amazing Spider-Man in theaters each like, 5 times. Just a combination of being bored during the summer and having people I knew who hadn't already seen it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

No ,but I have had sex more than once while I was watching it. It really is at this point almost a Linus blanket for me.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Steve2911 posted:

If you do it with the hand your father just cut off it feels totally different.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

No but I have had sex more than once while I was watching it.

Do you time it so you finish to, "I love You," "I know"?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

How rude!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Actually it's "I am your father"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

teagone posted:

Braveheart. I loving love Braveheart. I don't now exactly how many times I've watched it, but I know it's for sure over 20. I still even have my Dual-VHS widescreen copy that I bought from my local Blockbuster with money I made from mowing lawns.
Me too, but it was mostly because it's one of my dad's favorite movies so he would keep the channel on whenever it played on TNT

A movie I watched on VHS wayyyyyy too many times was Twister

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Someone thought giving me a bunch of Bakshi animated films and a copy of Akira was OK for an 8 year old with a TV/VCR combo to have.

It totally was. Thanks, mom.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

When I was growing up I went through phases of obssession with movies, so if I had even a fleeting interest in them and we had the VHS/DVD of it then I would just watch it whenever I had free time. The list is mostly Disney but whatever, I've seen the following movies around 30 times over a 20 year period:

101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood, Robin Hood: Men in Tights (my sister and I were huuuuge Robin Hood fans so this was on top of reading books and playing with Lego and poo poo), Wild Wild West (it had great production designs), Dumbo, Toy Story 2, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Babe, Babe: Pig in the City, Fellowship of the Ring (this is also because all my friends would do rewatch parties for the trilogy, yet we always seemed to get bored halfway through Two Towers and just not bother), Back to the Future part 2, The Fox and the Hound.

There are probably more but these are the ones that I know for sure I have watched that many times and you will probably notice a common theme, these are all fairly short movies. I didn't have a large attention span as a child (still kind of true now) so I wasn't going to sit down and watch Braveheart every day, even Bond films were a special occasion thing for me. A large number of these viewings were also background noise, I have fond memories of just putting on a movie while folding laundry, ironing my cadet uniform, doing homework, etc.

I have a separate list for films that I have seen once or twice all the way through and then proceeded to watch the "good parts" about a dozen times :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've watched Robocop more times than I can actually keep track of. Same for Wrath of Khan.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Looking through Deadline reports on BvS's Box Office, I think is clear that while clearly failing to live up to the expectatives is far from being the absolute bomb some places are making it seem.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

From boxofficemojo It looks like so far its foreign take alone more than covered the production cost.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BOM doesn't include the numbers from merch does it?

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008
Shawshank Redemption but only because TNT/TBS were required by law to play it 400 times a week

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

BOM doesn't include the numbers from merch does it?

No, it's strictly box office reporting from the distributors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

No, it's strictly box office reporting from the distributors.

That's what I thought. I'd love to see an adjusted amount with that taken into account.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

It's like when you're playing hide and seek with a kid and you're losing patience with their lovely hiding spots.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I watched it again over the weekend. I'm helping! :haw:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (1990) was viewed enough to warrant the tape being respooled and I can mostly quote along with it today. As what qualifies as an adult, I put on LES ENFANTS DU PARADIS a lot and I've watched BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW a bunch of times.

It's cool to watch things a lot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've never seen so much vested interest in watching a movie fail.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Looking through Deadline reports on BvS's Box Office, I think is clear that while clearly failing to live up to the expectatives is far from being the absolute bomb some places are making it seem.

poo poo's just weird honestly. The budget was 250 mil and it is going to clear 700 mil internationally over the weekend. That seems like a moderate success but at the same time if it totally bottoms out from here that puts it in roughly the same spot as ASM2 which was considered such a disappointment that Sony cancelled their franchise plans and went groveling to Marvel. Then obviously as people have said there's merchandising but I'm sure there were studio projections which it would still be super bad to miss by too much. I also don't know how marketing cost factors into all of this (is it included in budget traditionally?) Certainly missing expectations is still a huge deal when you are planning this to be a decades long franchise starter.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vintersorg posted:

I've never seen so much vested interest in watching a movie fail.
I don't know I've seen people want the Marvel movies to fail too

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

poo poo's just weird honestly. The budget was 250 mil and it is going to clear 700 mil internationally over the weekend. That seems like a moderate success but at the same time if it totally bottoms out from here that puts it in roughly the same spot as ASM2 which was considered such a disappointment that Sony cancelled their franchise plans and went groveling to Marvel. Then obviously as people have said there's merchandising but I'm sure there were studio projections which it would still be super bad to miss by too much. I also don't know how marketing cost factors into all of this (is it included in budget traditionally?) Certainly missing expectations is still a huge deal when you are planning this to be a decades long franchise starter.

That's not actually what happened.

Sony is STILL going ahead with some of their franchise plans, and they never went back to Marvel.

Marvel wanted Spider-Man really bad and they came to SONY for the deal that was made. That's why Sony still has final say on everything and why the Spider-man movies are going to be a primarily Sony venture.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I choose to believe it had something to do with Andrew Garfield being a dick. What kind of monster cheats on Emma Stone?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know I've seen people want the Marvel movies to fail too

nah not to the point were people are reporting near daily box office numbers (not to mention the thread exploding once the bad reviews rolled in)

I mean, at least on these forums I can't recall it ever happening

Burkion posted:

Sony is STILL going ahead with some of their franchise plans, and they never went back to Marvel.

Marvel wanted Spider-Man really bad and they came to SONY for the deal that was made. That's why Sony still has final say on everything and why the Spider-man movies are going to be a primarily Sony venture.

Oh my bad, I must have bought into the propaganda on that one

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 3, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Burkion posted:

It's honestly kind of funny that people think that ASM2 not meeting expectations "saved" the franchise. The next Spider-Man film sounds like a complete clusterfuck because allegedly Sony and Marvel keep arguing about what direction to take the movie in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

I've heard it went both ways Marvel went to Sony, they were not interested and then after ASM2 they went back to Marvel. Remember that Avengers tower was supposed to be in ASM and Oscorp tower was supposed to be in Avengers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

According to the leaked emails Sony doesn't have merchandising rights so that might be what made them cancel everything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Guy A. Person posted:

International distribution rights often mean less money for the studio, meaning that low domestic means more than high foreign. High ENOUGH foreign can compensate the difference, as can poo poo like merchandising, but it's still very disappointing. Also making back your money in a genre where the hits do 1, 2 billion dollars? Isn't what anyone is hoping for when they make films like this. It's still completely loving ridiculous that the standard for success can be such that studios are going "Man, we didn't make enough hundreds of millions of dollars off this. Boo hoo!".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've said it over and over and over before but man

I dread the next Spider-Man movie. I really do. Like, I want Civil War to be good. I don't expect it to be, but I'd like for it to. I liked Winter Soldier.

The next Spider-Man movie is just going to be an utter mess. Sony and Marvel are going to be fighting over every little thing and the poor director, who is not a power house of personality or talent like Sam Raimi, is going to be on either end of the two.

Spidey is one of my favorite heroes so knowing this just makes me sad. And really grateful we got 2 great movies thanks to Raimi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HorseRenoir posted:

The next Spider-Man film sounds like a complete clusterfuck because allegedly Sony and Marvel keep arguing about what direction to take the movie in.

That honestly describes ASM to me. Can't wait to see Peter Parker's origin story a billionth time. At least with Batman it's often regulated to a short little scene of the Waynes walking out of a movie theater and into an alley to get gunned down. Sam Raimi nailed the Spider-man origin story... they cannot and will not surpass that first movie.

• Locked thread