Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The good news is getting a party wipe on a boss is an achievment, and so is losing someone to Wilbur! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Is the achievement called "That's Some Pig?"

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
""That'll do, pig", iirc.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Darn. :smith:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Fun fact: the objective of the boss dungeons is to kill the boss. Specifically the boss. Sure, the battle keeps going if there's another enemy left (Wilbur, the adds from the Necromancer/prophet/Cannon) but if you're okay with giving up the rewards from the battle itself (random selection of treasure and whatever your dead guys were wearing) you can clear the boss itself, retreat from whatever's left, finish the dungeon, and get the boss trinket.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Don't you also win if you wipe, as long as the boss died?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yes.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Crasical posted:

Someone should buy that for abardam.

ah man I didn't know you guys hated me that much :(

Seriously though, if y'all wanna use it, go ahead :) i browse with avs off anyways

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

FreeKillB posted:

""That'll do, pig", iirc.

Never forget

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I was just sitting here lamenting the fact that I've never had a named party combo before and didn't even know how I'd be able to tell when I looked up at my Embark screen and ....

"SOULTRAIN" :boom:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kekekela posted:

I was just sitting here lamenting the fact that I've never had a named party combo before and didn't even know how I'd be able to tell when I looked up at my Embark screen and ....

"SOULTRAIN" :boom:

Lol, what combination was that?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tias posted:

Lol, what combination was that?

It's vestal - plague doc - highwayman - leper.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Another go at the Champion Sunken Crew. Another Bounty Hunter with full + move skill trinkets. Another 5 attempts in a row to shift the crew's fat arses. My front line Leper, Aschuill's resolve is tested....

I laughed, oh how I laughed. Every time the anchorman tried to sink my Leper, the entire party destressed. I pointed at the crew and mocked their futility and my party proceeded to pound them into the afterlife.

gently caress you, sunken crew, I hope you drown in hell for eternity.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
New approach to curios: just click all the loving objects

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Use all torches on books.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Hit fishman shrines with shovels.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Look, I had two attempts at the "on the old road" achievement thwarted by the sunken crew. This was cathartic, okay?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Hit fishman shrines with shovels.

Is there any correct item to use on those sunken shrines, or should you just go in naked?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Tias posted:

Is there any correct item to use on those sunken shrines, or should you just go in naked?

If you are talking about the Bas-reliefs then the only item that works is shovels, and that's not recommended... If you are asking about the Fish shrines then you can use holy water like with any other religious icons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yawp and blinding powder, two great stuns that go great together

occasionally

Tias
May 25, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yawp and blinding powder, two great stuns that go great together

occasionally

Holy poo poo

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Just used Antiquarian's skill, Protect Me on my bounty hunter against the Siren.
I am not a clever man.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't see the issue. You wouldn't want to hit the stolen person anyway, so the dodge and protection add nothing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The issue is instead of the Siren charming the useless antiquarian, the bounty hunter got pulled over.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
and he crit me on his first turn for like 40 damage.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Sometimes I feel like we need a DD version of the :darksouls: emote. 2 level 5s, and a level 6 Plague Doctor down the drain, all because I forgot the Prophet's stress attack actually deals minor damage. If my Vestal hadn't somehow tanked 4 attacks at death's door before I could retreat, I'd be down 8 rare and very rare artifacts including one of the heads. Well, back to grinding out money for upgrading characters I guess. At least the town's done so I don't need to bother holding onto heirlooms anymore.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
THIS MOTHERFUCKING LVL 2 SUNKEN CREW! I need some advice on how to kill this guy, he's claimed too many lives.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

knock back the anchorman

bleed/blight the crew a lot

shoot the crewdemon, until it dies

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Bounty Hunter/Jester/Grave Robber/Leper is a lot of fun

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The only way you can gently caress up the crew fight is if you're hitting whichever one has the PROT buff up. The anchorman has a huge PROT buff until he grabs someone, and once he does he loses it and the crew gets the buff. So you beat on the crew until the anchorman does Heave To, then you beat on the anchorman until he's dead. The only thing that does any damage is Boarding Clutch, and if you brought a Plague Doctor (which you ALWAYS DO because it's the Cove) you can clear the bleeds in between blighting the crew to death. It's a long fight but as long as you're paying attention to who has PROT and focus on the enemy that doesn't, it's not like they can outheal you.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Something that really helps with the Crew is stunning the anchorman before he grabs someone. This gives you more time to beat on the crew itself. If you stack stun trinkets you might be able to stun up to 3 times in a row. If you have a houndmaster you can also have him guard whoever is in front, since the anchor can be dodged (though the crew can drag someone forward and gently caress this up)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I tried the dodge route with the Hellion tanking, something like 40-50 dodge stat. Fucker hit every goddamn time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The secret pro crew strat is to get someone to go virtuous and put them up front, since the crew can't do anything to them. Free win.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

Bounty Hunter/Jester/Grave Robber/Leper is a lot of fun

How do you handle healing? Just pack a lot of food?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Use all torches on books.

You son of a bitch! You got me!Guess I get to see how this crusader handles stress.

Edit: Nevermind! Looks like my campers were heavy on stress relief, also, jesus, 14 portraits from one medium veteran dungeon crawl. Gonna get me the highest level experienced recruits!

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 8, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

How do you handle healing? Just pack a lot of food?

The Terrible Secret of Healing is that you don't actually need a dedicated healer. If you're using your stuns right and being wise about your turn order, you can get through a lot of encounters with only a few points of damage, or without getting hit if you surprise the enemy. Swapping out a Vestal or Occultist for a fourth damage-dealer makes it even more likely you can crush your foes before they can touch you. A majority of classes in the game also have healing skills, even if they're only for a point or two or only for themselves, which is enough to get off Death's Door. Camping skills and plenty of food can generally make up whatever gaps you end up with. There are also factors like scouting to consider, which can get you out of a lot of fights on exploration or relic missions.

Now, I'm not saying ditch all your healers forever. I'll always take healers for bosses and room battle missions, because there's always going to be that one battle where you whiff a 90% stun and get critted for like 30 points in return, and that's a huge pain to bounce back from without a healer. But if you're noticing your Vestal is just topping people off on the last round of the fights, it might be time to try full murderhoboing.

My personal suggestion is BH/Abom/Abom/Jester for maximum stuns and hilarious damage.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

The Terrible Secret of Healing is that you don't actually need a dedicated healer. If you're using your stuns right and being wise about your turn order, you can get through a lot of encounters with only a few points of damage, or without getting hit if you surprise the enemy. Swapping out a Vestal or Occultist for a fourth damage-dealer makes it even more likely you can crush your foes before they can touch you. A majority of classes in the game also have healing skills, even if they're only for a point or two or only for themselves, which is enough to get off Death's Door. Camping skills and plenty of food can generally make up whatever gaps you end up with. There are also factors like scouting to consider, which can get you out of a lot of fights on exploration or relic missions.

Now, I'm not saying ditch all your healers forever. I'll always take healers for bosses and room battle missions, because there's always going to be that one battle where you whiff a 90% stun and get critted for like 30 points in return, and that's a huge pain to bounce back from without a healer. But if you're noticing your Vestal is just topping people off on the last round of the fights, it might be time to try full murderhoboing.

My personal suggestion is BH/Abom/Abom/Jester for maximum stuns and hilarious damage.

I should try that. I have literally never used an Abom before and rarely Jesters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I should try that. I have literally never used an Abom before and rarely Jesters.

Aboms are insanely good, I can't seem to get the hang of jesters though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Healing in DD is mostly for trying to pull someone back from the brink rather than topping off. Turns and time are a resource; any turn the Vestal or Occultist are healing is a turn they aren't working to reduce incoming damage and you have to weigh the odds on which will help keep your dudes alive better.

Thankfully, both Vestal and Occultist have tons of awesome stuff they can do besides/in addition to healing so having them along but also having the 'oh gently caress someone's on death's door help help' button around is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Don't forget the Arbalest's battle bandage skill is absurdly loving good with any self-healing allies, and also just a good patch-up job in general. Put her in with Leper, Abomination, Houndmaster, etc. and stack the healing buffs if you get in trouble. Arbalest also gets those medical bracers as a trinket for 33% boosted healing and the healing buff stacks, so repeated battlefield bandages with the trinket will eventually heal above 10 hp.

edit: she also has the best health-healing camp skills, it is very easy to supplement a lesser-healing or self-healing group with an arbalest