Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

Daredevil series 1 does the 'reaction to destruction caused by heriocs' thing well while being both lighthearted and self serious at the same time.

And then Season 2 does the "killing is bad but if my allies kill then I'll just look the other way" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's wrong with a movie taking itself seriously?

Not a thing. The Dark Knight films take them selves incredible seriously and yet they are almost universally loved.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Not a thing. The Dark Knight films take them selves incredible seriously and yet they are almost universally loved.

You pissed of an angsty BvS fan dude lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's amazing. My first avatar replacement!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope I never piss off anyone enough to get a new avatar.

I love this avatar. it's Bioman.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I can't believe someone would do that to CelticPredator. Like, you can't accuse him of not engaging with the film.

HorseRenoir posted:

It's already been confirmed by multiple cast members that this isn't happening.

Oh thank god.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

lol at whoever bought that its just a loving movie

even funnier that its over a bad movie

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Harley's dialog is awful, while boomerang drinking his beer is actually funny.

Ya.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

I love this avatar. it's Bioman.

Come on now, having an avatar bought for you is an honor. It means someone gave enough of a poo poo to spend money to ostensibly annoy and or anger you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yoshifan823 posted:

Come on now, having an avatar bought for you is an honor. It means someone gave enough of a poo poo to spend money to ostensibly annoy and or anger you.

Yeah, I loved my Bernie av because anyone who got mad at me would then start insulting Bernie like I cared what happened.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Suicide Squad is also already funnier than most Marvel movies on account of the Leto-based marketing

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

It's already been confirmed by multiple cast members that this isn't happening.

Haha, is there a link to this? Need to show a couple people who were being real smug. And yeah, honestly the worst part of the Suicide Squad stuff we've seen so far are the "funny" quips. So hooray, no reshoots to add more of that nonsense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For all this talk of BvS underperforming, it's actually doing better than Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Man of Steel.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The MSJ posted:

For all this talk of BvS underperforming, it's actually doing better than Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Man of Steel.

It's wishful thinking for some of us. I want it to do poorly so Snyder get's the boot.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I'd expect the Superman and Batman merchandising to cover the entire movie and marketing all on their own with money to spare. I think both of them together is over half a billion a year without movies and poo poo.

They got batman and superman boxer briefs at the Kroger. It's like 4 bucks a pair to have the batfleck symbol on your bulge.

Also, I rewatched Spider Man 3. It's still good, and awesome, and no comic movie since has had fight scenes half as good. Closest might be Scott Pilgrim or 300. Dredd and Punisher: War Zone were good too but SM3's are great.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

The worse Harley's dialogue is, the happier I'll be.

If they can work an honest to god "Mistah Jay" in there I'll piss in my seat.

Like any number of David Ayers films, her being awful could be used to good effect, but her whole voices-in-her-head bit is impressively painful in an otherwise fun trailer.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 3, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Like any number of David Ayers films, her being awful could be used to good effect, but her whole voices-in-her-head but is impressively painful in an otherwise fun trailer.

Got to agree my man.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Steve2911 posted:

Wont the new one be set after Civil War, in which he's already a thing?

The whole reason Iron Man's team is after Bucky is because he killed Uncle Ben.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

People responded more positively to the second Suicide Squad trailer so it's unfortunate those reshoot rumors are bunk. They could've had a solid movie there.

Maybe Leto will be a good Joker at least.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Like any number of David Ayers films, her being awful could be used to good effect, but her whole voices-in-her-head but is impressively painful in an otherwise fun trailer.
It's one of those bits of dialogue that genuinely make me feel embarrassed for the actor. Her 'we're bad guys' line isn't much better. Otherwise though, pretty hyped.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yaws posted:

I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad as well but mostly due to the second trailer and the rumor that they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone. These DC movies are so loving dour and self-serious it borders on parody.

Steve2911 posted:

Daredevil series 1 does the 'reaction to destruction caused by heriocs' thing well while being both lighthearted and self serious at the same time.

I seriously have no idea what people are even talking about anymore with DC movies being totally dour and grimdark but Netflix Daredevil is lighthearted. Are we just randomly throwing out mood adjectives when talking about movies now?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Slugworth posted:

This is gonna sound crazy, but maybe there's room for both styles?

No! Impossible! All superhero movies must be the same!

Gyges posted:

I seriously have no idea what people are even talking about anymore with DC movies being totally dour and grimdark but Netflix Daredevil is lighthearted. Are we just randomly throwing out mood adjectives when talking about movies now?

Seriously, at one point Matt beats up a man for molesting his daughter, that's the exact opposite of light hearted.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

No, it's just really self serious and completely loving self-indulgent.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Suicide Squad is also already funnier than most Marvel movies on account of the Leto-based marketing

People's reaction to Leto's casting was hysterical. I was skeptical, then I remembered that the last time I was skeptical about comic book casting was the last time they cast the Joker, so I kept quiet.

Burkion posted:

I wish I could give a strong enough impression of myself to get an avatar.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Like any number of David Ayers films, her being awful could be used to good effect, but her whole voices-in-her-head bit is impressively painful in an otherwise fun trailer.

Mireille Enos' character in Sabotage kind of felt like a dry run for the character anyway.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slugworth posted:

It's one of those bits of dialogue that genuinely make me feel embarrassed for the actor. Her 'we're bad guys' line isn't much better. Otherwise though, pretty hyped.

Yeah, I'm pumped, if just because it's an Ayers film.

net cafe scandal posted:

Got to agree my man.

This is so dry I've got to get a drink :tipshat:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rhyno posted:

Nothing in the Incredible Hulk is connected to Hulk.

Yeah, right - just like how nothing in this film is connected to Dark Knight.

Audiences don't give a gently caress about canon, and neither do the studios. Hulk 1 ends with him going into hiding in South America, and Hulk 2 opens with him in hiding in South America. That's all you need.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

People responded more positively to the second Suicide Squad trailer so it's unfortunate those reshoot rumors are bunk. They could've had a solid movie there.

Maybe Leto will be a good Joker at least.

But the other part of the rumor (that is probably false) is that the movie is completely serious outside of the trailer bits. For all we know the trailer is actually a very good representation of the tone of the movie, and the reshoots have nothing to do with changing that. I think it's way more likely that the marketing is probably pretty close to the tone of the movie, and is not some sort of Bridge-to-Terebithia-esque misdirection. Especially considering the second trailer for SS was released pre-Deadpool (so they'd have no reason to misrepresent it) and the trailers for all of DC's movies have fairly well captured the actual movie (Watchmen, MoS, and Dark Knight all had really good trailers that pretty accurate represented the tone of their movies).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Hhaah what the gently caress? You're not even in the top 10 of posters who are hilariously anti-BvS. Not even Boob Marley got that treatment.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

PUMPKIN! FETCH ME MY BLUE WINDBREAKER!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CelticPredator posted:

Watch One Punch Man. You would like it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yoshifan823 posted:

I would like to know what actual kids thought of BvS. Like, we can hypothesize all we like, but I wish someone with kids who took them to the movie could just tell us what they thought. I'm genuinely curious, because it's definitely not a movie that was made with children in mind, but I could see them really liking the fight scenes.

Just got back. I kinda quizzed my 13 year old son about it, just asking what he liked about it and the characters and what happened.

He said he liked it some, much more than Man of Steel. His favorite character was Luthor. He liked that Luthor was more like The Joker. He said that Superman was fine, and Batman was perfect, just like from Arkham Knight on PS4. He enjoyed the second half much more than the first, and loved the inclusion of hints of the Justice League in the future. He kept referencing Civil War, too, comparing them just from the commercials.

"The fight ended stupid. Batman was kicking his rear end, had it all planned out with the spear right there. It just ended too fast and now they are instantly best friends."

"In Civil War Tony and Cap fight, but they have a history as friends so it means something, this was backwards."

"What bothers me is it was almost sooo good. Just like, one or two things different and it would have been perfect, but instead it felt off."
"What do you mean off?"
"Why did Luthor do all this to try and kill Superman, they never fought before. How did he know how to create Zod in the ship, if that was the first time he was there, and that Zod will try and kill superman? A lot of it didn't make sense."

"Flash didn't look right (we watch the Flash TV show) but I still want to see his movie."

"Cyborg is going to be awesome."

"So Wonder Woman isn't very good at her secret identity."

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Whizbang posted:

The whole reason Iron Man's team is after Bucky is because he killed Uncle Ben.

I like this. Please let this be canon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I don't know if it's a testament to this gif or my stupidity that it took a few loops before I realized the addition to the airport run.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

How come streaming sites don't have superhero movies anymore. I want to watch all of these movies and talk about them without the indignity of paying 17 dollars specifically to watch Thor 2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

I don't know if it's a testament to this gif or my stupidity that it took a few loops before I realized the addition to the airport run.

It's also in color at a higher contrast than the trailer.

net cafe scandal posted:

How come streaming sites don't have superhero movies anymore. I want to watch all of these movies and talk about them without the indignity of paying 17 dollars specifically to watch Thor 2.

Netflix has a deal with Disney but I don't know why they don't have anything up now.

WB is doing their own thing which is dumb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HIJK posted:

Watch One Punch Man. You would like it.

I've heard good things.

Edit: Woo! Thanks! Now I kinda have to check it out.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 4, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Scyantific posted:

I like this. Please let this be canon.

They could even tie it into the dumb ASM mythos and have Bucky's cyber murder arm mistakenly identify Uncle Ben as superspy/former escaped Winter Soldier target Richard Parker.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

Sadly the little hop he does is like the second most dynamic thing going on in that gif (the first being SW's takeoff, Falcon is a close third, everyone else is running super stiff and awkwardly)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Kind of worried that Civil War is going to be bloated. Seems like they're just shoe-horning everything in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

CelticPredator posted:

Alien.
Aliens