Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

Banner saga is like taking ambien

Chron of Teddy sucks. What's ambien like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Spoderman posted:

Are any of the Tron games like Discs of Tron? If so, that's an immediate buy.
No but you can play Discs of Tron on Xbone fukken rekt.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Don't get Banner Saga. It's incredibly boring, and the actual gameplay isn't particularly good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Chron of Teddy sucks. What's ambien like?

Its sleep medication

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

Its sleep medication

Ah, I'll pass. Man, my excitement has faded into thick disappointment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SectumSempra posted:

Hell you feel like more of a hero in first son and second light than you get to in arkham knight (arkham city was good tho)

The Hero ending of Second Son where all the citizens cheer you on and help hold back paramilitary forces to let you through in particular.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You're down playing Arkham Knight's heroics, because of GOTHAM PD's area. It slowly fills up with all the people you've rescued and bad guys you put behind bars, it's crazy by the end game

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

All the infamous games are honestly good. There are few better hero game series, they aren't perfect but all above average and worth a play.

I would say the only game that has managed to scratch anywhere near the same itch as Infamous has is Saints Row 4. A lot of it is in the mobility aspects of the gameplay along with the fact that the Infamous powers are often like stylized arsenals. They are mechanically fairly similar and I enjoy the hell out of both series largely different tones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wish crackdown wasn't Xbox exclusive

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah but on the other hand did you play Crackdown 2?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I found Crackdown to be hella dull anyways.

I understand it's the type of open world game I tend not to like (or ones where the main fun comes from just screwing around) but I found everything about it other than the movement controls to be so bland and fall assed that even take by that into consideration I didn't see that much to write home about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

eh. sriv and infamous have better orb grabbin

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Crackdown is the only xbone exclusive I'm jealous of. That game (and the sequel to a lesser extent) was pure fun all the way to 100% completion. Luckily we've got Infamous which is similar enough and looks + feels better and has a much more engaging story.

Now I'm feeling desperate for a new infamous game.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Suckerpunch be working something up big

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Skills for kills agent. Skills for kills.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Kilometers Davis posted:

Crackdown is the only xbone exclusive I'm jealous of. That game (and the sequel to a lesser extent) was pure fun all the way to 100% completion. Luckily we've got Infamous which is similar enough and looks + feels better and has a much more engaging story.

Now I'm feeling desperate for a new infamous game.

If it's any consolation it's almost certainly coming to PC as well just like all first-party Microsoft stuff moving forward

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Stare-Out posted:

I bought Gran Turismo 6 because of the Easter Sale and a 10% discount code I got and I felt like having at least one racing game on my PS3 but holy poo poo. I mean jesus gently caress. After an hour of downloading it, two hours of installing it, four hours of downloading updates, I enter the game and it wants to update it even more? Approx. 400 mins. left? This is loving dumb.

Now go buy Burnout Paradise.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Most of the fun I had with Crackdown was collecting all of the agility orbs. I generally don't like collectibles, but I got all 500 in that game. The actual plot was kind of dumb, but the game was real fun to play.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I like the open world assassinate a dude in a giant castle with no scripted events. Also you'd just be constantly kicking them in a ragdoll for like a minute until they died and burst into every color of orb

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

...! posted:

Now go buy Burnout Paradise.

This is a game series I want another of. Need for Speed Most Wanted was close-ish, but it's just not the same. I've heard they're basically abandoning Burnout, and that's tragic to me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SpacePig posted:

This is a game series I want another of. Need for Speed Most Wanted was close-ish, but it's just not the same. I've heard they're basically abandoning Burnout, and that's tragic to me.

the team was bought out by EA for Need for Speed iirc

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

Crackdown is the only xbone exclusive I'm jealous of. That game (and the sequel to a lesser extent) was pure fun all the way to 100% completion.

https://youtu.be/egxjuLkhXUw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

juliuspringle posted:

Skills for kills agent. Skills for kills.

Hell yeah!

Ugh yes, gently caress the moving orbs.

I never drove anywhere in that game, I just loving leapt from building to building and power stomped every enemy I came across. Also the heat seeking rpg owned in crackdown. If you couldn't kick a boss to death, you could rpg them.

Anyway, I'm getting that infamous might scratch that crackdown itch? Which one should I start with, having never played any of them?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Crackdown and Infamous are pretty different games. While they're both Superhero third person shooters, Infamous is way more structured with not that much to do if you just wanna gently caress around while Crackdown is basically all loving around.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah!

Ugh yes, gently caress the moving orbs.

I never drove anywhere in that game, I just loving leapt from building to building and power stomped every enemy I came across. Also the heat seeking rpg owned in crackdown. If you couldn't kick a boss to death, you could rpg them.

Anyway, I'm getting that infamous might scratch that crackdown itch? Which one should I start with, having never played any of them?

first light is quick and fun and theres a lot of content in the arena mode

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I love content.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To go against what 8-Bit Scholar has been saying, I'm finding Chronicles of Teddy to be quite fun. His post kind of made me nervous but I'm honestly not finding the game to though (I'm to where he last said he was and have died twice). I dunno. Some of the things he said are accurate but but I also feel there's more to it. I mean, yeah your reach is short but the game kind of knows this and there are always ways to defeat enemies if you can figure them out. Like the shield enemies are tough but they'll also usually expose their weak points if you know when to hit them. Also the solution to that chest puzzle was just you had to play back the notes it was playing. Anytime you hear the notes that sound like your music thing, and you don't see a character saying stuff to you, that's a sign to repeat what you hear.

I dunno, I'm sorry 8-Bit Scholar isn't having a good time, but I think it's a lovely little Metroidvania Zelda II thing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mega man legends 2 is coming to psn this week.....?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you haven't played it yet Saint's Row IV is probably the most Crackdown-esque game out there for the PS4.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like I played that on 360 and hated the way it controlled.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like I played that on 360 and hated the way it controlled.

I'd be surprised if Crackdown doesn't control worse than SR4, but I never played 2.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

To go against what 8-Bit Scholar has been saying, I'm finding Chronicles of Teddy to be quite fun. His post kind of made me nervous but I'm honestly not finding the game to though (I'm to where he last said he was and have died twice). I dunno. Some of the things he said are accurate but but I also feel there's more to it. I mean, yeah your reach is short but the game kind of knows this and there are always ways to defeat enemies if you can figure them out. Like the shield enemies are tough but they'll also usually expose their weak points if you know when to hit them. Also the solution to that chest puzzle was just you had to play back the notes it was playing. Anytime you hear the notes that sound like your music thing, and you don't see a character saying stuff to you, that's a sign to repeat what you hear.

I dunno, I'm sorry 8-Bit Scholar isn't having a good time, but I think it's a lovely little Metroidvania Zelda II thing.

Yeah, the game plays sounds in the background but either I've absolutely no ear for music or it didn't matter any of the four places I've tried to repeat those notes. It's never done anything anywhere else in the game, and I even attempted to play the notes that I thought I was hearing, but it was no dice. In fact, when I started trying to match background sounds in any other area with my music box, I got the feeling that the background was just repeating whatever I played. Nothing suggests at all that the sound is anything but an artistic detail.

The combat I may have been slightly hard on, but those green kappa knights you run into are heads and tails harder than any other area in that zone or the next, really. They're a huge burst in difficulty and I dunno, I never played Zelda 2 so maybe I missed the obvious cues.I managed to get decent enough at killing them, but they're wicked hard.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do have one really odd issue with Chronicles of Teddy. Throughout the game there's this ever present irregular clicking sound sound when I move. I have no idea what it's supposed to be or what it even corresponds to and it's slowly driving me mad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, it really sucks. I was hoping that they'd do one more 'classic' type one, without the open world stuff that I didn't care for in Paradise.

I would settle for them putting 3 on PS4 though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there some kind of movement option he is not using here?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah, Teddy requires you to double-tap to dash and dash jumping is really important to the platforming so it kind of annoyed the gently caress out of me. Just let me hold down a button gently caress your double tap. It feels finicky if done on a stick and it is uncomfortable to do on a d-pad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You can hold R1 or L1 to dash

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

You can hold R1 or L1 to dash

:stare:

well son of a bitch. Alright, that alone is enough to make me give this game another shot. Maybe it caught me at a bad time.

EDIT: Oh man this is so much better. I feel much more confident jumping now, the whole game's platforming just improved like, tenfold.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 4, 2016

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Awesome! posted:

is there some kind of movement option he is not using here?

He's actually doing things just right. Tried to keep momentum, keeping altitude, cutting corners. Just have to be persistent. I've fallen many times trying to leap a corner to head one off.

Oh, and when you memorize its route, it will change direction if you get ahead of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ape Agitator posted:

He's actually doing things just right.
dear god how can anyone play that game

• Locked thread