Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why the articles of confederation? There are multiple references to the several states in the constitution, including the commerce and priviliges and immunities clauses (also the one where it says the president is the commander of the militias, but im sure that part doesn't count.)

Yeah, it does in both, but it's more prevalent from the AoC. Sovereigns tend to look at the relationship between the states/feds as the one established by the articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, it does in both, but it's more prevalent from the AoC. Sovereigns tend to look at the relationship between the states/feds as the one established by the articles.

I've seen some fun conspiracies out there that claim that we should still be operating under the AoC since the Constitution was never actually proper ratified. For reasons.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Until these idiots start leaving random roadside IEDs, nobody's going to care about their retarded pseudo-political cause.

And the instant that they do/threaten the FBI is going to destroy all their terrorist cells.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

citybeatnik posted:

I've seen some fun conspiracies out there that claim that we should still be operating under the AoC since the Constitution was never actually proper ratified. For reasons.

13-15 weren't either because the southern delegates weren't seated at congress. Basically if they believe the constitution is valid they rarely believe that the amendments past the bill of rights are valid.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have heard that about the sixteenth amendment from the Ron Paul crowd when arguing the income tax is unconsitutional despite having its very own amendment.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

cumshitter posted:

ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6sSMvIq9Mg

I like how Finicum says George Washington. He has no problem with the George, but the Washington part is a bit too much for him to chew. He has to pronounce it wah-shing-ton like some kind of pod person parody on a tv show, the same way Ferengi say hyoo-mon. But somehow he has no problem with Hessians????

thank you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I have heard that about the sixteenth amendment from the Ron Paul crowd when arguing the income tax is unconsitutional despite having its very own amendment.

If I remember right the argument there is that Ohio or Kentucky or something like that didn't ratify it so it's no go. The other argument is that your labor is your property and any wages you receive are just fair trade for your property. Taxing that, then, is an unconstitutional taking under the fifth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bombadilillo posted:

More then 200 people at there event...

Basic, you didn't let us strip mine and deforest the whole state, your ruining our freedom to live!

What gets me is that it wouldn't even be them who strip mine and deforest the place, it would be some huge multinational which would then bugger off, leaving the state a void of poverty and environmental wastelands.

It's like libertarians who genuinely and deeply feel that if only governments would cease to exist they would somehow magically become CEOs and billionaires, masters of the foetid rapetopia they've always wanted and not the greasy nothings they are now.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I remember right the argument there is that Ohio or Kentucky or something like that didn't ratify it so it's no go. The other argument is that your labor is your property and any wages you receive are just fair trade for your property. Taxing that, then, is an unconstitutional taking under the fifth.

Labor as your property? Almost Marxist.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Gorilla Salad posted:

What gets me is that it wouldn't even be them who strip mine and deforest the place, it would be some huge multinational which would then bugger off, leaving the state a void of poverty and environmental wastelands.

It's like libertarians who genuinely and deeply feel that if only governments would cease to exist they would somehow magically become CEOs and billionaires, masters of the foetid rapetopia they've always wanted and not the greasy nothings they are now.

Conservatives in general have been trained to identify with the wealthy and corporations out of a misguided idea that they earned their money through pure merit. Libertarians take this to the next level and seem to equate the free market to some strange sort of religion where they will be counted among the worthy if they do away with the oppressive government and let their corporate masters rule them with an iron fist. They can't seem to imagine that they won't also be part of that ruling elite. Letting that irrationality cross with SovCIt gibbberish produces what we see here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Conservatives in general have been trained to identify with the wealthy and corporations out of a misguided idea that they earned their money through pure merit. Libertarians take this to the next level and seem to equate the free market to some strange sort of religion where they will be counted among the worthy if they do away with the oppressive government and let their corporate masters rule them with an iron fist. They can't seem to imagine that they won't also be part of that ruling elite. Letting that irrationality cross with SovCIt gibbberish produces what we see here.

I think a good dose of wacky religion helps get the SovCit train going, too. Look at the number of Mormons that appear to be members, for instance. Around here, years and years ago, the SovCits were some kind of apostolic Christian weirdos, if memory serves. Fringe Mormon groups are at least as crazy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Most modern sovcit ideology traces its roots to posse comitatus and they believed in the Christian identity movement. These were people that believed white Europeans are the true children of Israel. The entire system started with white Christian supremacy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most modern sovcit ideology traces its roots to posse comitatus and they believed in the Christian identity movement. These were people that believed white Europeans are the true children of Israel. The entire system started with white Christian supremacy.

Very true. It just makes sense that classically racist fundamentalist Mormons would bandwagon the kind of thing, too. I don't remember the group here being particularly racist, but this is one of the whitest places on Earth, and was especially so back then, so it may just not have come up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Very true. It just makes sense that classically racist fundamentalist Mormons would bandwagon the kind of thing, too. I don't remember the group here being particularly racist, but this is one of the whitest places on Earth, and was especially so back then, so it may just not have come up.

If you investigate thoroughly enough you always find the racism. Its not always hard to find, but its always there.

Just like when Cliven Bundy did his stand against the feds and became a hero for the republican party, then started talking about how black people were better off under slavery and then Fox News had some egg on its face.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phi230 posted:

If you investigate thoroughly enough you always find the racism. Its not always hard to find, but its always there.

Just like when Cliven Bundy did his stand against the feds and became a hero for the republican party, then started talking about how black people were better off under slavery and then Fox News had some egg on its face.

I'm not sure fox news is ever aware of the egg on its face because that exact scenario has happened several times. The duck dynasty guy literally said the exact same thing about slavery and everyone just ignored it to focus on ~the gays~

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Mormons until the late 70s had a firm belief that anyone black carried the mark of Cain and were extremely discriminated against until the living prophet decided that God had enough hating on black people.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well that was nice of God, he timed that perfectly.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/716651936208977920

One of the major financial backers of the movement and distributor of the pocket Constitution is dead.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
BLM should seize his cemetery plot and declare it a wildlife reserve imo

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
So there's this little gas station like 30 or so miles from the Finicum homestead. I stopped there for a bag of fried wasabi peas before a hike and noticed they had copies of his book on the counter by the cash register for sale. "Only by Blood and Suffering." I'm assuming its a bunch of scary tales about menstruation.

Edit: VVV I was too busy stuffing wasabi peas into my fat goon face and thinking about the best way to find the petroglyphs I was after.

The real reason is these people are scary and I live here. (I am a huge pussy)

old beast lunatic has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Apr 4, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
how did you not instantly buy it and tear it up silently as you walked out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

VikingSkull posted:

how did you not instantly buy it and tear it up silently as you walked out

I too silently protest things by supporting them financially

Stomping on French fries to show those frogs

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Since I already outed myself as a local I'll confess that I've never met Finicum, but I have friends who knew him. Granola hippy type people that got along with him just fine and considered him a good neighbor. Yeah, that surprised me too. Southern Utah/northern Arizona is an insane combination of tree hugging leftists and conservative mormons.... and apparently patriots like Finicum.

Everything I've heard about the man, even from people who were on the other (sane) side of the political spectrum seems to indicate he was a nice guy personally, even though his writings and rantings are unbelievably insane.

These same people immediately shot down the notion that he was using his foster kids as slave labor. He might have been using the foster system as a source of income which is definitely kind of lovely but from what I've heard the kids were not mistreated. This is all second hand hearsay bullshit so make of it what you will.

Its too bad he had a bunch of really awful ideas that he was willing to go all-in with I guess.

old beast lunatic has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Apr 4, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well yeah, they are the type of white white folk who will invite you for supper as long as you fit their model of an trun American to some extent. Otherwise you are the boogeyman to them and they will ascribe ever increasing nazi attributes to you the more different you are

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

InterFaced posted:

Since I already outed myself as a local I'll confess that I've never met Finicum, but I have friends who knew him. Granola hippy type people that got along with him just fine and considered him a good neighbor. Yeah, that surprised me too. Southern Utah/northern Arizona is an insane combination of tree hugging leftists and conservative mormons.... and apparently patriots like Finicum.

Everything I've heard about the man, even from people who were on the other (sane) side of the political spectrum seems to indicate he was a nice guy personally, even though his writings and rantings are unbelievably insane.

Its too bad he had a bunch of really awful ideas that he was willing to go all-in with I guess.

It's sad but a lot of people are like that. They like other people just fine, they have this giant paranoid fear of big, abstract organizations. It seems really close to actual paranoia a lot of the time. Also, based on his writing, he might not have been such a sweet guy to black people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Obdicut posted:

It's sad but a lot of people are like that. They like other people just fine, they have this giant paranoid fear of big, abstract organizations. It seems really close to actual paranoia a lot of the time. Also, based on his writing, he might not have been such a sweet guy to black people.

I have to say you have the longest yet most mild red text I've ever seen

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

InterFaced posted:

These same people immediately shot down the notion that he was using his foster kids as slave labor. He might have been using the foster system as a source of income which is definitely kind of lovely but from what I've heard the kids were not mistreated. This is all second hand hearsay bullshit so make of it what you will.

As someone who lives in The South I'm very used to people with unbelievably insane and lovely beliefs being super-friendly and hospitable, it's kinda our whole thing. Southern Hospitality is all about being really nice to someone [as you explain to them your hotel doesn't have any rooms left when in reality you just want the scary black man to leave]

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Alan Smithee posted:

I have to say you have the longest yet most mild red text I've ever seen

It is also completely inaccurate except for 'sociologist' and it leaves out what I actually do, and creates the awesome title of 'video gamer designer', because god knows I wish I could design a better gamer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...-they-are-cops/

quote:

“Kill cops because they are cops, if for no other reason,”

not quite the FTP NWA hit they were hoping for

Obdicut posted:

It is also completely inaccurate except for 'sociologist' and it leaves out what I actually do, and creates the awesome title of 'video gamer designer', because god knows I wish I could design a better gamer.

*cranks up boob slider*

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Alan Smithee posted:

*cranks up boob slider*

More like "removes desire for boob slider in character creation" and most importantly "Sets desire for 'realism' to .0001"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Obdicut posted:

More like "removes desire for boob slider in character creation" and most importantly "Sets desire for 'realism' to .0001"

not to derail but those sound mutually exclusive

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/717067666301693956

:911:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol he looks like an old white me tryin to fit in a suit

except with freedom tie

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

-ties tie shorter than belly button-

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Dude, this was a positive outcome. Your son very nearly ended up in a pine box in the middle of loving Nowhere, Oregon like Tarp Man did.

Seriously, be grateful your son is still alive, we were worried as gently caress he'd kill himself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sovereigncitizenattorneyatalaw.jpg

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

lol he looks like an old white me tryin to fit in a suit

except with freedom tie

I want to get a nice American flag necktie but with a gold fringe all the way around it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Professor of Cats posted:

-ties tie shorter than belly button-

That tie goes well below his belly button. It's appropriate length for a fat guy like him.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Oregonian posted:

Jones said he was concerned about Fry's mental instability and threats of suicide hours before his surrender Feb. 11 to FBI agents.

Fry responded that he threatened suicide because he feared that he'd be raped in jail after his arrest. He gave up only after the FBI assured him that wouldn't occur, he said. He sought to justify his threats by citing a biblical passage, referencing how people "jumped on their swords'' rather than face an army of uncircumcised men.

"I look at you as a vulnerable person,'' the judge told Fry. "We have to worry about your own safety. In the environment where you are, you're safe.''

[...]

"I only came out to protest. I have much concerns for society. I absolutely do not feel suicidal,'' Fry told Jones. He said he's committed to seeing the federal case through in court.

Forty-five minutes into the hearing while Fry was still talking, Jones stood and adjourned the hearing.

As deputy marshals moved in to place handcuffs around Fry's wrists, Fry continued to object, shaking his head, and saying "I don't feel safe here'' and referencing a rash or disease he said he feels like he's picking up in custody.

"Love you Dad,'' Fry uttered, before he was led out of court.

Summary of the hearing Fry Sr. attended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I'm really glad the evil unconstitutional maritime courts are looking out for his safety, especially after his godly righteous patriot friends totally abandoned his rear end. I listened to the livestream of his arrest and he is not a stable person.