Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
true that's a pretty good reason actually.

I mean at the end of the day you can pretty much do whatever you like as the Ottomans, it's why they're so great, they can suit any playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Quorum posted:

Admin side, Administrative (for hilariously low coring costs) or Humanist (for accepting everyone's culture and religion). Diplo, look at Influence to up your vassal feeding game. I wouldn't take an early military idea personally, those first few mil techs are very important.

You wouldn't take an early military idea? But the first few military tech's are very important? I'm a little confused.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My go to opening for Ottos is Administrative first, but only up till the coring discount, Influence, then Offensive and grabbing the remaining five Administrative ideas(sub-ideas?).

Going religious is worthwhile, but I find that you will usually be more constrained by monarch points than CBs in the early stages of the game as Ottos, especially with all the vassaling you can do.

Edit: The first Military techs are important. Picking up a Military Idea group early means you can have issues keeping current on Military tech, which can get you all kinds of slaughtered.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Agree that Humanist is convenient but almost never an optimal grognard powergaming pick.

I would probably go Admin (first 2-3 ideas), Influence or maybe a military idea if I'm flush with points, Religious.

If you're expanding at any decent rate, you're going to need a CB better than fabricating claims.

Religious also gets you the conversion bonuses obviously, and long-term it's simply better to convert. Ottoman +3 Heathen Tolerance helps with that because hey, less revolt risk and Religious Unity issues while you convert the heathens.

Having tons of accepted cultures is not terribly helpful for an expansionist nation, at some point you're either braking your expansion to maintain culture threshholds or pouring a lot of resources into maintaining them. It just so happens that the Clergy estate exactly offsets the most significant penalties for off-culture

Fister Roboto posted:

I have a massive hardon for siege ability bonuses.

me2 but I like Morale better early game

once you start getting higher level forts siege ability is the best

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 3, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another gimmicky idea is take Quality, Defensive, and Aristocratic, with any two non-military ideas in between them. The reason for this is to stack as many army tradition bonuses as you can get, to try to stave off the Janissary disaster as long as possible. With the maximum fort bonus and all those ideas, your AT resting point should be 75, which is just above the 70 you need to keep the disaster from progressing. If you take Espionage, the Espionage-Quality policy will set the resting point to 100.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Going religious is worthwhile, but I find that you will usually be more constrained by monarch points than CBs in the early stages of the game as Ottos, especially with all the vassaling you can do.

Serious question, have you played large expansionist nations much in the most recent patch using only claims?

It is poo poo.

1) it is usually most efficient and effective to snake your way through nations to control the map and get access to other nations to continue conquering, and you can't fabricate on non-bordering provinces
2) if you take non-claimed provinces with a Conquest CB, you pay a higher AE and warscore cost in addition to the diplomatic points for unreasonable demands
3) if you get caught fabricating a claim, which you will quite a bit if you're doing it with any frequency, you eat a fairly significant AE penalty AND your progress is now slowed down 3x (?). it takes a lot longer and is really annoying to fabricate claims now because your diplomats are tied up for years on end.

If you're constantly fabricating claims because that's your only CB, how are you maintaining and integrating vassals?

Having a good all-purpose CB like Holy War or later Imperialism saves you warscore, DIP points, AE, and diplomat time.

I think you're underestimating just how much your diplomats will be tied up fabricating claims if that's what you're relying on for CBs.

Edit: the best idea picks for any nation wanting to go pure blobbing are imo

Admin
Influence, Exploration, Diplomatic, or a military idea depending on situation
Religious
<mil ideas and whatever>

With a tiny bit of management the Clergy estate helps a ton with early game conversions and revolts so I don't think taking Religious first is all that necessary over Admin.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 3, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never been constrained by monarch points as the Ottos. In fact, if Mehmed II lives for any decent amount of time, as he has a tendency to do so, I have the exact opposite problem of not having enough things to spend points on. It's really funny when you get into the mid game and you start seeing a -10% tech bonus not as a way to save monarch points, but as the ability to grab a tech level 1 year earlier.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

Serious question, have you played large expansionist nations much in the most recent patch using only claims?

It is poo poo.

1) it is usually most efficient and effective to snake your way through nations to control the map and get access to other nations to continue conquering, and you can't fabricate on non-bordering provinces
2) if you take non-claimed provinces with a Conquest CB, you pay a higher AE and warscore cost in addition to the diplomatic points for unreasonable demands
3) if you get caught fabricating a claim, which you will quite a bit if you're doing it with any frequency, you eat a fairly significant AE penalty AND your progress is now slowed down 3x (?). it takes a lot longer and is really annoying to fabricate claims now because your diplomats are tied up for years on end.

If you're constantly fabricating claims because that's your only CB, how are you maintaining and integrating vassals?

Having a good all-purpose CB like Holy War or later Imperialism saves you warscore, DIP points, AE, and diplomat time.

I think you're underestimating just how much your diplomats will be tied up fabricating claims if that's what you're relying on for CBs.

Edit: the best idea picks for any nation wanting to go pure blobbing are imo

Admin
Influence, Exploration, Diplomatic, or a military idea depending on situation
Religious
<mil ideas and whatever>

With a tiny bit of management the Clergy estate helps a ton with early game conversions and revolts so I don't think taking Religious first is all that necessary over Admin.

I totally agree with you. I love religious. However, these days you can rely pretty heavily on your vassals to fabricate any adjacent provinces...if you're really opposed to taking religious. The religious CB early in the game is just so good, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tsyni posted:

I totally agree with you. I love religious. However, these days you can rely pretty heavily on your vassals to fabricate any adjacent provinces...if you're really opposed to taking religious. The religious CB early in the game is just so good, though.

Your vassals' CBs only let you declare a war, they don't give you any benefit for actually grabbing those provinces when crafting a peace; you're still paying Diplo points and eating a big AE penalty unless your vassal somehow controls the province, which never ever seems to happen. Having your own claim on a province is the only way to not have to eat the Diploa+AE penalty when acquiring new provinces in a Conquest war.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

I think it's hard to overstate the advantage of being able to carve up an enemy as you please rather than being constrained by claims. You want to split your enemy into isolated chunks, cut off their allies, take their forts, get access to new conquest targets for chaining wars. There's also the war goals, in many cases it can be easier to rack up a lot of warscore by winning fights rather than sitting on a bunch of forts.

The better CBs give you a strategic advantage in addition to warscore/diplo/AE discounts.

Also, didn't mean to rant at you Cynic Jester. I'm just a little bitter about a really good Bahmanis game I had going where I didn't take Religious and can't convert poo poo or do much because I'm reliant on claims.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Your vassals' CBs only let you declare a war, they don't give you any benefit for actually grabbing those provinces when crafting a peace; you're still paying Diplo points and eating a big AE penalty unless your vassal somehow controls the province, which never ever seems to happen. Having your own claim on a province is the only way to not have to eat the Diploa+AE penalty when acquiring new provinces in a Conquest war.

Why not...transfer control to them then? What am I missing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tsyni posted:

poo poo, you can do that?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

poo poo, you can do that?

Yes, can't remember which expansion did it, but you can transfer control to most people in the war in the province screen. You can't change it back once you've transferred, so you want to be sure.

edit: Keep in mind if you transfer it to an ally and they don't actually have an interest in it they won't take it, but your vassals/PUs will take anything they can core.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Man I hope Arumba, Quill, NorthernLion and Mathas will be playing some EU once Mare Nostrum is out. Coldwar-game between Arumba and Quill is the best, with NL being the dicky opportunist that he is, and Mathas just being the real victim.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tsyni posted:

Then you aren't getting the province, the vassal is. It sucks when you're trying to do a peace deal and get stuck in a situation where you have to give an important province to a vassal that you were not planning to annex right away. Eating a ton of AE and paying a ton of points to take it yourself simply because you used the vassal CB also sucks. Religious takes care of all these issues.

Religious lets you say "Oh right, who cares about claims, HOLY WAR" and do that pretty much all game long, until Imperialism comes along. The diplomat fabricating claims and getting caught thing made it even more useful than it was before, and it was real useful before.

Finally I felt that people were overstating the whole "You don't need religious with development to convert just do some decisions" thing. If you're doing any serious religion changes or conquering off religion provinces at a good pace, Religious is still very relevant.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 3, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rakthar posted:

Then you aren't getting the province, the vassal is. It sucks when you're trying to do a peace deal and get stuck in a situation where you have to give an important province to a vassal that you were not planning to annex right away. Eating a ton of AE and paying a ton of points to take it yourself simply because you used the vassal CB also sucks. Religious takes care of all these issues.

Religious lets you say "Oh right, who cares about claims, HOLY WAR" and do that pretty much all game long, until Imperialism comes along. The diplomat fabricating claims and getting caught thing made it even more useful than it was before, and it was real useful before.

Finally I felt that people were overstating the whole "You don't need religious with development to convert just do some decisions" thing. If you're doing any serious religion changes or conquering off religion provinces at a good pace, Religious is still very relevant.

Sure, I agree that religious is great. If you're trying to conserve admin points and are vassal feeding then I am just outlining an alternative. Especially if you're in the middle of Europe or something. I am one of the people that is surprised that the religious CB is disregarded by some people in this thread.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Zotix posted:

You wouldn't take an early military idea? But the first few military tech's are very important? I'm a little confused.

Idea's compete with tech for monarch points. if you're investing your MIL points in ideas, that's less points you're spending on increasing your military tech

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Sure, I agree that religious is great. If you're trying to conserve admin points and are vassal feeding then I am just outlining an alternative. Especially if you're in the middle of Europe or something. I am one of the people that is surprised that the religious CB is disregarded by some people in this thread.

Usually if I'm conquering faster than I can claim in Europe it means I have fallen victim to terrible hubris and will be taken out by a coalition or something, so I don't find it to be all that valuable. I'd rather take Expansion and get a good CB against most of the world plus better ideas within the group than Religious has. Might as well grab Mecca with that CB for a second missionary, too. If it wasn't for the tolerance of the true faith idea Religious would be pretty bad.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Do I want to vassal I've everything? I started the ottomans last night and in my first war I took 2 or 3 provinces. Then in the next war I vassal iced two nations. Do I just vassal I've most things and integrate when I can?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Any advice on how to catch-up / wrap my head around the new mechanics?

Haven't played seriously since last summer and Common Sense.

Should I pick up Cossacks and Mare Nostrum? I'm wary of more complicated mechanics that don't add to fun :-S

And is there a good summary of what changed in the free patches since Common Sense, from a player's perspective?

(Basically I have the feeling that a bunch of mechanics have changed since I last played and I am worried my old understanding of the game is now out of date and I have to re-learn it again).

Relatedly, I tend to have a bit more fun when, like in CK2, I can create a custom nation. A few questions around this:

- Any tips on creating a good custom nation or good places to create one?
- Tips on ideas to select for a custom name?
- Is there an easy way to mod leader / general names and anything else to make my custom nation feel more custom?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 3, 2016

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Not sure how useful this is, but my most fun custom nation run was as a Taino High American Dutch Republic starting in Cuba and Hispaniola. Pretty overpowered and silly.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is there any way to tell the AI "no, really, you're super nice and all but I really, really, really don't want anything from this war." I participated in the Protestant League war (on the Catholic side) and the emperor decided to feed me a high development province from France, as well as two provinces to my marches. Due to my vassilization of electors, I was managing my AE very carefully since it was sort of this, but this made a coalition.

It was, admittedly, a tiny coalition, most of whom I could remove just by improving relations, but it could have been much worse if I had been given that land earlier before some of my AE decay.

(Also, the emperor decided to say in the war for way, way too long. I think I had 16 war exhaustion just from Call For Peace because they just HAD to full occupy the Ottomans).

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Can't you just transfer all the provinces to the war leader? Then they can't give you the province's since you don't occupy them. They probably took so long to peace out because you were holding the land they wanted, too.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I've been catching up on what the new dlc will bring and uh apparently the english channel will be a strait now.

It's too bad the fleur-de-lis will still never fly in london because the ai would probably never consider the english isles as a priority. I'm guessing there will be alot of scotland formed GB because of england suiciding their land army into france 7 out of 10 times.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So, how do you figure the optimal ratio of Inf/ Calv/ Arty?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 4, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jazerus posted:

Somewhere deep within Paradox's office dungeons, the rattling of chains and screams of Groogy echo.

"YOU PROMISED, JOHAN!"

What is this referring to?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Elendil004 posted:

What is this referring to?

Groogy famously claims to hate all things Romans and refuses to implement Hellneic religion in CKII among other things.

Thus Roman Empire in EUIV is a betrayal of his very nature.

(He's secretly the lead dev on Rome 2)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zotix posted:

So, how do you figure the optimal ratio of Inf/ Calv/ Arty?
Same as its always been.
Combat width as the common multiple, depending on tech and where you are expecting to fight.

Width-(2 to 4) infantry
2 to 4 cavalry
Width artillery

More cavalry if you are in whatever unique situation where combined arms bonuses and the budget lets you.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So how do I figure that out exactly? My current width says 24 on the military screen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zotix posted:

So how do I figure that out exactly?
Your max width is on your military page as a function of miltech. Functional width depends on terrain. The common strategies are to aim to engage with your max width deathstacks on open terrain, or use numerically inferior but still ratioed stacks on the defensive, width decreasing terrain.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay, so in an optimal situation and I have 24 width, what would my ratio be? Like 3 :3 :1? So would I do something like 10:9:4?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I've been catching up on what the new dlc will bring and uh apparently the english channel will be a strait now.

It's too bad the fleur-de-lis will still never fly in london because the ai would probably never consider the english isles as a priority. I'm guessing there will be alot of scotland formed GB because of england suiciding their land army into france 7 out of 10 times.

Actually it won't. Wiz said they had to take it out precisely because the AI couldn't deal with it: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mare-nostrum-without-the-kent-strait.917505

Zotix posted:

Okay, so in an optimal situation and I have 24 width, what would my ratio be? Like 3 :3 :1? So would I do something like 10:9:4?

Depends on the army you're fighting. Ideally, enough infantry to match their complete front line (inf+cav), enough cavalry to get full flanking bonuses going (depends on tech level, never more than 10), enough artillery to form a complete backline. If you're fighting a peer level army, throw some reserve infantry regiments in there too.

But now you're likely way over the province supply limit.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 4, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also if you're in a situation where their front line is maxed out for width, like attacking into mountains, you want to drop your cavalry because they'll get shredded.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zotix posted:

20 infantry, 4 cavalry, 24 artillery. Based on combined arms you can squeeze in more cavalry, but you cavalry wane in comparison with filling your artillery back line unless you are rich as poo poo.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah, so I don't think I can do that, if only for the reason I couldn't stack that much on a province. Do you just split into two stacks, and attack at the same time?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yep. Which feeds into the other (absurd) key to battles. All units in a battle lose morale every day they're in a fight, even if not actively engaged in battle because of insufficient combat width. So rather than pushing all of your armies into a fight immediately, what you want to do is have a few armies converge on the first day to form an 'ideal' army specifically for the fight, then move in replacement armies every 5 days or so after that, so that you always have fresh units rotating into the fight and doing maximum damage, and keeping your morale up. It's like a god damned Noria from Verdun, ca. 1916.

The current battle meta is dumb as poo poo, and I don't know why people think it's any better than naval battles. Superior numbers is the overwhelmingly most important attribute in nearly every case.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

Yep. Which feeds into the other (absurd) key to battles. All units in a battle lose morale every day they're in a fight, even if not actively engaged in battle because of insufficient combat width. So rather than pushing all of your armies into a fight immediately, what you want to do is have a few armies converge on the first day to form an 'ideal' army specifically for the fight, then move in replacement armies every 5 days or so after that, so that you always have fresh units rotating into the fight and doing maximum damage, and keeping your morale up. It's like a god damned Noria from Verdun, ca. 1916.

The current battle meta is dumb as poo poo, and I don't know why people think it's any better than naval battles. Superior numbers is the overwhelmingly most important attribute in nearly every case.

until mid-late-game, you're generally not going to have enough men to pull that off (in my experience), and getting men to the right places to fight the right battles is a fun challenge.

naval combat is fundamentally much more 'fiddly'. faster movement, less constraint in terms of terrain, more ways for enemies to seemingly pop out of nowhere - constant vigilance is required, which is extremely tiring. the new naval orders system probably isn't going to fix that, since i think you'll still be able to order ships around directly, so it'll be just like the transport system - just not as good as doing it yourself, so only useful in situations where you can afford to be extremely lazy.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
tbh, i enjoy the noria-from-verdun gameplay, but it does make a lot more sense in vicky 2 than here. i haven't really used it in eu4 - i suspect shattered retreats would make it much, much less reliable. (though probably even the worst-case battle in eu4 won't last as long as vicky 2 battles can, so i guess you won't have to worry about feeding rested armies back into the same fight they left earlier...)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The thing about the new expansion is that they've totally reworked how naval battles actually work. Positioning is gone (good, because it did nothing), and now there's a reasonable cap to the number of ships that can meaningfully be involved in a battle, based primarily on admiral maneuver. A little back of the envelope math when I read the DD suggested that fleets of more than 20-30 ships will be overkill. Which is still pretty high for the early game, but it's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

Its both a complaint, and also the valid practical strategy. If you can't support a death stack, the next best thing is more junk in the frontline than your enemy can field, and as many artillery as your frontline can protect.

• Locked thread