Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

this worked really well for the liberals, SDP-Lib alliance, greens, Lib Dems, and UKIP

I don't actually want the Tory left or the Blairites in power though, but additional voices against FPTP is always good, so it works for me.

e: 9 is the only positive perfect power that is one more than another positive perfect power. It is also the number of tenths of the law that possession is, apparently.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you press 9 three times on a phone you can summon a malevolent force

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

jabby posted:

You'd think it would be the easiest thing in the world to exploit. Do you want another foreign multinational, or do you want to bring back BRITISH Steel. Slap a union jack on it and a commercial of girders with 'Made In Britain' stamped on them and you would think the public would eat it up.

I guess there is the whole thing about being honest and not appealing to the lowest common denominator and all that.

Don't need to go full on National Front, but just saying "lets protect our industries and prevent outsourcing, while also stopping Tesco from gouging your local cornershop out of business" isn't too controversial.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

baka kaba posted:

If you press 9 three times on a phone you can summon a malevolent force

Is it one of those Fire Engines I've heard so much about? They sound scary as poo poo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

this is literally UKIP

Lib Dems, shurely?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Which actually might be a good thing in the long run because they might raise hell to get a different voting system when they inevitably get a ton of votes and 3 seats.

Here, I made a handy flowchart of how this will pan out:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So apparently Corbyn will be rocking Glastonbury this year.

Looks like he is speaking mainly as a representative of CND, which is sure to piss off the PLP all over again. Still, engaging with that big a crowd and the 'cool factor' of appearing at Glastonbury can't hurt. Hopefully.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

jabby posted:

Looks like he is speaking mainly as a representative of CND, which is sure to piss off the PLP all over again. Still, engaging with that big a crowd and the 'cool factor' of appearing at Glastonbury can't hurt. Hopefully.

He will be blamed for everything from the portaloos to the weather. Also, is Glastonbury still cool?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seems to be mainly filled with marketing and PR account managers from Clapham

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Thanks Ants posted:

Seems to be mainly filled with marketing and PR account managers from Clapham

aka "Middle England"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Here, I made a handy flowchart of how this will pan out:

And as parties that are hosed over by the current electoral system don't tend to get in power, the only way anything will change is by freak occurrence? Or are we banking on popular revolution?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Trickjaw posted:

He will be blamed for everything from the portaloos to the weather. Also, is Glastonbury still cool?

Glastonbury still has something for it, last year had Patti Smith and the Dalai Lama on stage together. Then Pussy Riot showed up in a tank. A couple of good sets too. It's just nowhere near worth the money and, because of that, full of the middle class. Volunteering is a great way to go to see your favourite gigs and get ruined for free.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I can see Corbyn being very well received among a bunch of middle class labour supporters, on-duty professional squatters, and 17 year olds, I'm just not sure why he'd want to

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I thought Glastonbury was all rich future Tories but not Tory until I realise I'm useless and need the privilege and inheritance like Zac Goldsmith these days?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Glastonbury's line up is utter dung this year, its all about going to Groezrock in Belgium.

Moseley jazz, funk and souls early announcements are amazing too.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jabby posted:

I can't see Corbyn doing well at a Tory festival.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

And as parties that are hosed over by the current electoral system don't tend to get in power, the only way anything will change is by freak occurrence? Or are we banking on popular revolution?

there is no hope, there is no god, for this is the United Kingdom and nothing good shall ever come to us. keep calm and face to bloodshed.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Guavanaut posted:

To change the vetoing system you need to persuade the majority of voters it is a good idea. The problem is those parties that get hosed over by FPTP the most are the Greens and UKIP and no one wants the other loony lot any where close to power like you often get in pure PR European countries. When small far to the end of the political spectrum end up becoming power brokers like Sinn Fein has in in the past in Eire or the National Front has in France then the conservative British mentality thinks FPTP is the less lovely option.

If you want a better system you need to come up with a good reason why we should currently have a Conservative/UKIP coalition running things at the moment.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If you want a better system you need to come up with a good reason why we should currently have a Conservative/UKIP coalition running things at the moment.

because the current system is a pathetic compromise, your leading questions have no value, and we should embrace either a proper plutocracy that isnt a bit of a global joke or an actual democracy that isn't a plutocracy with ribbons

e; I get that you're asking what I say to the glorious British people and not you specifically and I want to be clear that I'm responding to that. This isn't a discussion with multiple sides of merit. People shouldn't be spoken to as if it is.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 4, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So Corbyn just won the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal at WrestleMania.

Baron Corbin

TinTower fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 4, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TinTower posted:

So Corbyn just won the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal at WrestleMania.

Baron Corbin

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
And for those who hate the rich a megalomaniac billionaire's son committed suicide on TV at the same event.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hi

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

Would have thought he'd be too busy that weekend. With the aftermath of the EU referendum to deal with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StoneOfShame posted:

And for those who hate the rich a megalomaniac billionaire's son committed suicide on TV at the same event.

Hmmm?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

Would have thought he'd be too busy that weekend. With the aftermath of the EU referendum to deal with.
I don't think he really cares about the result either way. Which is the correct response. Spend the weekend in a field while the Tories rip themselves to shreds over it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think he really cares about the result either way. Which is the correct response.

Yeah just leaving the EU. No biggy.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think he really cares about the result either way. Which is the correct response. Spend the weekend in a field while the Tories rip themselves to shreds over it.

If we're leaving I'd rather not have the unopposed Tory right setting the terms of the exit negotiations etc
Either way it's going to be an interesting few days. He could drop into Glastonbury for a few hours to do the speech but I'm just surprised he wouldn't rather keep the calendar clear because who knows what'll turn up needing a response.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

If we're leaving I'd rather not have the unopposed Tory right setting the terms of the exit negotiations etc
That'll become very valid if Leave wins. Until then any part of the debate is far more hazardous to the Tory government than him as long as he is seen to maintain distance. He's pretty different on Europe to most of his own party too, so it might be better to throw some of the Blairites into that particular grinder of a debate.

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah just leaving the EU. No biggy.
If it really was that important I'm not sure they'd leave it up to a public referendum fed by a media circus rather than appoint a proper review. Who knows though, they've done more illogical things. It seems more a bone throwing exercise than addressing structural issues that are the real causes for people's dissatisfaction.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I think it's a little idiosyncratic to argue that leaving the EU would be no big deal, whether you're for it or against it

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerv posted:

If "Stay" wins, which it will, there's not really any aftermath to deal with. We continue as usual.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fans posted:

If "Stay" wins, which it will, there's not really any aftermath to deal with. We continue as usual.

That seems naively optimistic.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I think these days "we continue as usual" is a very pessimistic view.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

I think it's a little idiosyncratic to argue that leaving the EU would be no big deal, whether you're for it or against it
I just don't think that the Tories would call a public referendum on something unless they're confident that they can get the result they want (like the AV one), or it's an issue that is more of a distraction from the real problems (I don't believe the EU is the root cause of any of Leave's core fears or Remain's core values). Then again they're more divided than at any point since the late Major years so maybe it's just all that poo poo coming to a head. The EU are the root cause of a lot of problems, and they provide some good things too, but none of those are the things that 90% of Leave or Remain are talking about.

Either way, Corbyn maintaining distance rather than poking his dick into the running poo poo-covered lawn strimmer of the Tory EU debate seems like a wise idea. Like Fans said, stay will probably win and he can carry on in a stronger position from the fallout.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

There's a billboard on my way to work that just appeared the other day with the words 'THE TRUTH' and 'It's illegal to use a legal name'.

A quick Google shows that this is the catchphrase of some idiot libertarian/sovereign citizen types that reckon we all have names on our birth certificates that are the property of the crown, and because we register to vote with our 'legal names' means all voting is fraudulent so there is no legitimate government anywhere in the world.

Is this a new thing that lolbertarians are bleeding into the real world and aren't just confined to the internet? Never encountered this sort of insanity in the wild before.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Cerv posted:

If the independence referendum was anything to go by it's going to be fairly unpleasant even if the status quo wins. Even more so with a lot of the media being on the leave side.

Hopefully the EU isn't as emotive as Independence is for a large number of Scottish people - the reaction the day after the referendum was kind of like a large scale personal tragedy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

If it really was that important I'm not sure they'd leave it up to a public referendum fed by a media circus rather than appoint a proper review. Who knows though, they've done more illogical things. It seems more a bone throwing exercise than addressing structural issues that are the real causes for people's dissatisfaction.

It's more that Cameron has always relied on the press to carry him through. Heck, if the press hadn't been so rabidly pro-Tory he probably would have done even worse in 2010 than just 'no outright majority' - hence why he rewarded said press by not clamping down on media misbehaviour after the phone-hacking scandal. He's assumed the press will always back him because, like many Tories, he has no idea how the world really works.

That and he needs to placate his dipshit back-benchers lest they defect to UKIP or the like.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also here is a Very Serious Person worrying that the pro-Remain side may suffer from the same problem the GE had with Miliband being close in the polls - that younger voters say they're definitely going to vote but then end up doing whatever it is yoofs these days do, smoking weed or buttchugging vodka or something, instead of voting.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/03/younger-voters-eu-referendum-turnout-poll-brexit

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerv posted:

Not really? Expecting "Out" to win would be naively optimistic as it has seemingly everything going against it. No major party supports it, it has trouble breaking past "Stay" even in the more favorable Online polls and the betting sites have lousy odds on it.

It's not a close race, despite the press wanting to pretend it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fans posted:

Not really? Expecting "Out" to win would be naively optimistic as it has seemingly everything going against it. No major party supports it, it has trouble breaking past "Stay" even in the more favorable Online polls and the betting sites have lousy odds on it.

It's not a close race, despite the press wanting to pretend it is.

I'm pretty certain he's referring to the fallout from the media and tory backbenchers over Baconmate campaigning to stay in.

• Locked thread