Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Isn't Thunderbolt just being streamed for pay online in Japan? Is that really something you can miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh hey, whoever was doing the Marvel superhero mobile suits actually did a whole bunch more than just the Avengers:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

I laughed my rear end off at RE:0096 having the Neo Zeong in the goddamn opening. This is supposed to serve to introduce the show to a new audience who aren't necessarily crazy OVA-buying Gundam fans, isn't it?

I dunno, but I doubt most people would care about being "spoiled" that the antagonist in a big red suit gets a bigger red suit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh hey, whoever was doing the Marvel superhero mobile suits actually did a whole bunch more than just the Avengers:

Do you think this ∀ on my head stands for Ⅎrance?!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The reveal for nzeong is so sudden and anticlimatic spoiling it in the credits is hardly doing it an injustice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the people that would genuinely care about not knowing what mech the antagonist will eventually use, will have already seen the OVA by now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, some of those superhero suits are pretty great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
MASTER STRANGE, THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!

ANSWER ME WONG!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

I now want a Unicorn recut where all of Banagher's lines are in Hulk-speak.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

I now want a Unicorn recut where all of Banagher's lines are in Hulk-speak.

BUT EVEN SO, BANAGHER THINK BAD RED MAN SHOULD NOT BE MEAN!!!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Professor Turn-X gave me a good chuckle.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Turn-X is the best, yes.

"But even so" is the thing I remember the most from Unicorn, like it got branded onto my brain.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Parallax posted:

Isn't Thunderbolt just being streamed for pay online in Japan? Is that really something you can miss?

Well if that's the case then I don't know what the gently caress happened.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lemon-Lime posted:

So,who would be Star-Lord? The F91? A Den'an Zon/Gei? And who would be Luke Cage? Bolt Gundam?

Edit:Deathscythe would be Archangel.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 4, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

And who would be Luke Cage?

Schuzrum-Galluke.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Schuzrum-Galluke.

That is :perfect: Would the Gouf Custom be War Machine? Or the EW Heavyarms? Something with a giant fuckoff minigun.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

VolticSurge posted:

That is :perfect: Would the Gouf Custom be War Machine? Or the EW Heavyarms? Something with a giant fuckoff minigun.

Jesta Cannon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

I think the people that would genuinely care about not knowing what mech the antagonist will eventually use, will have already seen the OVA by now.

I dunno, I was under the impression that the point of RE:0096 was to attempt to draw in viewers who haven't already seen the OVA and thus don't know everything about it yet; otherwise, what the hell is the point of it existing? It just feels weird to slam the Final Boss in the OP to episode 1, even if it ultimately doesn't matter that much.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

I dunno, I was under the impression that the point of RE:0096 was to attempt to draw in viewers who haven't already seen the OVA and thus don't know everything about it yet; otherwise, what the hell is the point of it existing? It just feels weird to slam the Final Boss in the OP to episode 1, even if it ultimately doesn't matter that much.

No I mean that anyone who would care about that sort of spoiler has probably already seen it.

Since heck, plenty of anime show more blatant spoilers all the time, it's just not obvious when the context has yet to be shown.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Having never seen Unicorn, I have still already seen the giant red robot and don't care about being in the OP

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

It doesnt help that the Neo Zeong high grade exists and is a joke about having too much money on your hands.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Parallax posted:

Having never seen Unicorn, I have still already seen the giant red robot and don't care about being in the OP

Well, there you go then.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

TheManSeries posted:

It doesnt help that the Neo Zeong high grade exists and is a joke about having too much money on your hands.

And space. I wouldn't know where to put that thing if I had it. The bathroom maybe.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A new Gundam came out! It wasn't as exciting as the first episode of Iron Blooded Orphans though. I did like how flashy the fight we did get was, but if it's just crazy beam weapon poo poo it'll probably get kinda boring compared to the awesome melee of IBO. I dunno I'll give it a few more episodes and see.

Gundam shows have sterotypes right? I'm calling the mysterious girl from the end Kudelia 2.0 and the main character who I don't even remember his name Bashar or something as a bitch until he turns into Mika 2.0

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

A new Gundam came out! It wasn't as exciting as the first episode of Iron Blooded Orphans though. I did like how flashy the fight we did get was, but if it's just crazy beam weapon poo poo it'll probably get kinda boring compared to the awesome melee of IBO. I dunno I'll give it a few more episodes and see.

Gundam shows have sterotypes right? I'm calling the mysterious girl from the end Kudelia 2.0 and the main character who I don't even remember his name Bashar or something as a bitch until he turns into Mika 2.0

It's a slightly extended TV edit of an OVA from a couple of years back. Thus the lack of discussion. And yes, Gundam does have recurring themes, and Unicorn in particular, since it's basically a reflective commentary on the franchise's main Universal Century setting.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh. I remember Gundam on Toonami back in the early 2000s but IBO is the first one I was really able to get and enjoy for reasons other than BIG ROBOT FIGHT!

I wish there was more Gundam on Crunchyroll. I've heard SEED was good and I'm sure some of the other series are good too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
SEED is good in the sense of being 12 years old and wanting to see BIG ROBOT FIGHT

But then you look back on it when you're older and realize how much animation they reused and how insanely stupid the writing is and it's all downhill from there into mecha grognardom

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Reconguista is up on Hulu if that's an option.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eej posted:

SEED is good in the sense of being 12 years old and wanting to see BIG ROBOT FIGHT

But then you look back on it when you're older and realize how much animation they reused and how insanely stupid the writing is and it's all downhill from there into mecha grognardom

I still want more HGCE SEED kits though :sigh:.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Build Fighters is on YouTube in America, and is good for big robot fight as small robots

Reconguista is good, inb4 ohhhhboy

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Really annoyed re96 isn't available in the states on their YouTube page. I also don't ha e the CR premium I need to watch it there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's a lot of cool stuff in the old Gundam is you don't mind old animation.

Turn A is a must watch in any case.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Really annoyed re96 isn't available in the states on their YouTube page. I also don't ha e the CR premium I need to watch it there.

just get a hold of the OVAs...?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Unicorn is like an ultra distillation of all things Gundam, any Gundam you watch after it will have things in it where you'll go "oh that's like X" so you're not far off on the IBO comparison, just gotta remember the order of origins.

The fights in the Unicorn OVA were super well animated (though like you say, not always the ultimate in choreography), but I'm not sure how interesting the plot is gonna be without having seen all the other Universal Century stuff to get the bigger picture. You're watching the TV version that's supposed to grab new fans, so it'll be interesting to see your opinions and impressions as you watch to get an idea of how the intended audience are enjoying it!

The Byarlant fight though, oooo it's a good one!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Kingtheninja posted:

It's on Daisuki if you feel like dealing with Daisuki

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

Unicorn is like an ultra distillation of all things Gundam, any Gundam you watch after it will have things in it where you'll go "oh that's like X" so you're not far off on the IBO comparison, just gotta remember the order of origins.

don't actually do this, it's an uninteresting way to think about characters and tends to plague gundam discussion.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erg posted:

Build Fighters is on YouTube in America, and is good for big robot fight as small robots

Reconguista is good, inb4 ohhhhboy

I am happy I have had such an impact. Reconguista is BAD.

I am a fan of SEED, so go watch SEED.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thee last ten episodes of SEED were outstanding. Some of the most enjoyable stuff I've ever seen in Gundam.

I don't remember any of the stuff before this, though. No wait, I remember
ATHRUN!? ATHRUN ZALA?!
ATHRUN!? ATHRUN ZALA?!
ATHRUN!? ATHRUN ZALA?!
[repeat about fifty more times]

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
SEED gave us the Rau rant and therefore can never be entirely bad.

Just like Destiny gave us Impulse vs Freedom and AGE gave us... um... Super Pilot, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

AGE gave us context. It makes it easier to look at the other series objectively, because we can always say "and then there's AGE..."