Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Zerilan posted:

I think at this point what I want to see happen most is Trump/Cruz both getting hosed over at a contested convention, Paul Ryan as the nominee, and Trump's attempts to take his support third party result in a ridiculous landslide win for the dem nominee that results in a lot of anger at Ryan from the base. Really concerned about Clinton/Bernie being a one-term president, but if Ryan gets dragged down too in this mess I have no idea who the GOP could even push forward as a strong candidate in 2020.

#Kanye2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottBaio/status/716822976004358144

Well that's a new one. If global warming then why snow on mountains, science?

Let's send him over to a REAL desert where temperatures last year climbed so high that the current estimation is within 15-20 years they will be uninhabitable

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

zoux posted:

While we're on the subject, if evolution, then why bananas? Just use your common sense, people.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

While we're on the subject, if evolution, then why bananas? Just use your common sense, people.

If I open this jar of peanut butter, nothing crawls out. :smug:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If this so-called "theory" of gravity were true, then why birds? Huh? WHY BIRDS?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/716990380437323777

Lovin' this post-Scalia world.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

It was a unanimous opinion - Scalia wouldn't have mattered

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It was a unanimous opinion - Scalia wouldn't have mattered

He would've used his evil Svengali conservative mind control to make it 5-4.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zoux posted:

Why snow on mountain this year and no snow on mountain previous 4 years during the drought? Got an answer for that, science?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CannonFodder posted:

Why snow on mountain this year and no snow on mountain previous 4 years during the drought? Got an answer for that, science?

February was the hottest February on record. Suck it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Have an article to go along with this.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-voters-idUSKCN0X11GS

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The NYT did an interesting little piece about how the Obama administration's been getting the White House up to code, tech infrastructure-wise.

Let's just say that the Bush White House was not exactly on the bleeding edge of technology. (Although, in possibly the ultimate Bush move, they seem to have focused on overhauling THE SITUATION ROOM in case of TERRORISM. Which was actually really important, since the Situation Room's communications technology was apparently from the JFK era.)

Fun excerpts:
- The White House email was running on Lotus Notes
- They now have access to color printers, that can actually print two-sided (!)
- 13,000 pounds of abandoned Ethernet and phone cables were discovered and removed from inside the walls of the White House
- To be fair to the Bush staffers: Bush's deputy chief of staff apparently had to spend a good two years trying to replace a room filled with telephone switching equipment with its modern-day equivalent, which was the size of a mini-fridge. When you start off with that kind of handicap, things just aren't going to get upgraded perfectly across the board.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

poor life choice posted:

I haven't done much reading on the guy, but I remember a politico article on Castro that barely qualifies as damning with faint praise. He's young and has a fantastic speaking voice, but I wonder at his credentials after someone pointed out to me that being mayor of San Antonio is basically just chief city council member, and a city engineer actually ran things. Does anyone have anything worth reading?

e: here is the story: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/julian-castro-possible-vice-president-218119

Well that's what you want for a VP isn't it? Someone who speaks well and can stay on message. In my fantasy world, being VP gives him the experience to be President, in the real world? eh, we'll see.
And you're correct into how San Antonio's mayorship is run. It's kind of like the separation of head of state and head of government.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The NYT did an interesting little piece about how the Obama administration's been getting the White House up to code, tech infrastructure-wise.

Let's just say that the Bush White House was not exactly on the bleeding edge of technology. (Although, in possibly the ultimate Bush move, they seem to have focused on overhauling THE SITUATION ROOM in case of TERRORISM. Which was actually really important, since the Situation Room's communications technology was apparently from the JFK era.)

Fun excerpts:
- They now have access to color printers, that can actually print two-sided (!)
- 13,000 pounds of abandoned Ethernet and phone cables were discovered and removed from inside the walls of the White House
- To be fair to the Bush staffers: Bush's deputy chief of staff apparently had to spend a good two years trying to replace a room filled with telephone switching equipment with its modern-day equivalent, which was the size of a mini-fridge. When you start off with that kind of handicap, things just aren't going to get upgraded perfectly across the board.

This is one of the many reasons I laugh real heartily when the FBI etc cries croc tears about Hillary using an outside email server that might not be as secure because you know, our tech infrastructure at the beginning of the obama presidency was just top loving notch.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just because your equipment is old doesn't mean it's insecure or bad, much like the fact that the White House's phone switching room's equipment status has no bearing on Clinton's email server

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

gradenko_2000 posted:

Could I get a link to the original HENRY article about how people who make 6 figures are actually really poor because so much of it goes to private schooling and such?

Can't post anything HENRY related with posting this

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
While your statement is (sort of) accurate, Radbot, it is safe to say the entire internal infrastructure was pretty much in the same dismal shape.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radbot posted:

Just because your equipment is old doesn't mean it's insecure or bad, much like the fact that the White House's phone switching room's equipment status has no bearing on Clinton's email server

The IT infrastructure is/was really bad, old, and outdated. There's virtually no evidence to suggest that the private server would be any less secure than what would have been available through government email.

Like they're comically inept.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Radbot posted:

Right, it's all the data breaches that mean it's insecure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
E: Its Satire. Ignore me.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 4, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare:

"We hate Muslims and what they do to women, but we want to do the same exact thing"

What's the source for Gohmert's quote here?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare:

"We hate Muslims and what they do to women, but we want to do the same exact thing"

What's the source of this?

e;fb

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

duz posted:

Right, it's all the data breaches that mean it's insecure.

Really, what data breaches came from the phone switching equipment, the only equipment I mentioned in my post?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lotka Volterra posted:

What's the source of this?

e;fb

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/04/02/republican-demands-women-stay-at-home-opposes-bill-for-funding-girls-education/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In which Vox unironically posts a garbage pro-Trump essay which might just be an April Fool's Day joke three days late.

It's hard not to quote the whole thing, but here are some highlights:

quote:

My name is Pietro "Pete" Calautti. I am 32 years old. If you looked at the demographic data of my parents at the time of my birth — their income, their station in life, their country (and region within) of origin, where they lived, how long they had been in this country, and so on — a pretty reasonable guess as to where I would be right now would be "working in a pizzeria." Instead, I am a PhD student in cinema studies at a major public research institution.

I am also a Donald Trump supporter.

quote:

Largely defined in opposition to mainstream conservatism and encompassing a wide spectrum of beliefs, some not even close to what would be understood as conservatism in the present day, the alt-right nonetheless started to feel like home, even if it was an umbrella term itself. We knew we had made it when conservative pundit Rick Wilson said we masturbate to anime on an appearance he made on MSNBC.

quote:

Trump has a realistic shot of breaking the left's stranglehold on the black vote. Black voters are starting to see that they are hurt more than any other demographic group by outsourcing and illegal immigration, and that the left is in the active process of displacing them as a voting bloc and replacing them with the post-1965 immigrant vote.

I am not suggesting Trump wins a majority of the black vote, but I would not be surprised if he gets as much as 30 percent, possibly more if he ends up facing Bernie Sanders in the general election. Such a shift would put many blue states into play.

quote:

I like that Trump is confrontational. His success depends on it, I would say.

If anything, Trump is not a clown; he's the most serious candidate, Democrat or Republican, in decades. He is talking about actual issues that are on everyday people's minds. Whether or not over the span of several administrations an elaborate Rube Goldberg machine works out perfectly to deliver a Supreme Court capable of overturning Roe v. Wade is not something on normal people's minds when they vote.

quote:

The future, not just in America but effectively around the globe, will be defined by globalists and anti-globalists. The neocons can return home to the Democratic Party (being a mutant strain of Trotskyists that went "right wing"), and the few Democrats still under the delusion that they are members of a party that gives a drat about labor can join up with the anti-globalists. And that's the future of American partisan politics — an explicitly anti-globalist party versus a globalist party of transnational elites.

quote:

Look at the events of Chicago. The professional left thought that political violence would surely bring down his campaign. What did Trump do? He did not apologize, and instead went on the offensive. And what was the result with his supporters? On March 15, he made anime real.

quote:

Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann, who may or may not have been affiliated with the actual Nazi Party (and, yes, given the casual nature with which "Nazi" is thrown at the Trump campaign, the qualifier "actual" is necessary here), developed what she eventually called the spiral of silence. In short, if you don't see or feel your beliefs or attitudes reflected anywhere, you will assume you are in the minority and keep quiet, and this will form a negative feedback loop. You may not actually be in the minority, but because everyone like you also keeps quiet, it's only reasonable you'd believe this.

I know where I am. That is to say I know I am on enemy soil. I know I am indeed the minority, and for those of us on the bottom of the spiral of silence, free speech has never been "free" in any practical sense of the term.

It is assumed that when you get to this level in the academy, you are a leftist. Right-of-center thought of any kind is casually laughed at, dismissed, and crudely represented. Let me be clear: If Trump never entered the race and Jeb Bush were the nominee, my colleagues in the academy would be calling Bush a heartless Nazi and saying that anyone who voted for him was a fool who didn't know better come the general election.

The mere idea that anyone in any given room full of faculty and grad students could be a non-leftist is not even entertained. I have seen and heard others say that there is nothing of value being said outside of the left and such thoughts should not even be considered. The final concluding thoughts have been reached, and nothing else needs to be heard. Oddly enough, this is the exact reason a figure like Trump has emerged.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

Ugh, commerce dodged a bullet with that one. I vaguely recall Ohio trying to sell off their state owned liquor stores

:lol: no it's worse than that, Kasich diverted the profits from liquor agency to his privatized JobsOhio fund that cannot be audited and has no oversight. He was gonna do something like sell off the Turnpike but once everyone who lives along it got wind of it, that lovely idea died fast.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
And if you follow that source, to their source, THAT source says the really awful bits are BS.

http://politicops.com/louie-gohmert-opposes-bill-for-women-scientists-a-womans-job-is-to-be-at-home/

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Apparently that is satire.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

I’m a PhD student, and I can’t wait to vote for Donald Trump

Oh the :ironicat: of anyone assuming that being a political science PhD student makes you a political wunderkind, or, like, smart, at all, oh wait

quote:

I am a PhD student in cinema studies

:ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

EDIT: Yeah this has to be satire but I mean come on, it's still near indistinguishable from the logic of actual Trump supporters (as well as actual PhD candidates who are nuts that I know).

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 4, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I'm also nearly certain that Vox piece is satire, seeing as that is the author's first and only article on the site. Seriously, guys?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

Apparently that is satire.

To be fair, their 'source' does a pretty poo poo job of pointing out that they are a satire site. And in today's political climate where Poe's law is the rule of the day, you really really need to be clear when you're joking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lotka Volterra posted:

I'm also nearly certain that Vox piece is satire, seeing as that is the author's first and only article on the site. Seriously, guys?

Yeah, my bad. I get used to Ghomert saying reprehensible poo poo that reality starts to bleed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Give that guy a break, he's just an oppressed minority fearing for his safety in a hostile, uncaring world.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I still can't believe the "manchildren who masterbate to anime" line actually happened. It's surreal.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BobTheJanitor posted:

To be fair, their 'source' does a pretty poo poo job of pointing out that they are a satire site. And in today's political climate where Poe's law is the rule of the day, you really really need to be clear when you're joking.

That's why you gotta check to make sure the sources are well cited and not just buried in a chain of shady political websites. Preserve some measure of disbelief, man.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, my bad. I get used to Ghomert saying reprehensible poo poo that reality starts to bleed.

No worries, that's why I asked because it was somewhat believable that Gohmert would say something that stupid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Oh my God gently caress Lotus Notes so hard. That poo poo is secure by virtue of it being too slow to hack.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

SSNeoman posted:

I still can't believe the "manchildren who masterbate to anime" line actually happened. It's surreal.

Explain.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

It's very strange that such a line would be said by very serious people on TV.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Just like the editorial states, a pundit described Trump supporters as shut-ins who masturbate to anime on live TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just like the editorial states, a pundit described Trump supporters as shut-ins who masturbate to anime on live TV.

It was incredible.

https://youtu.be/mbXfk5lpLew

• Locked thread