Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

No Luck Needed posted:

I started as a halfling druid on project 1999 in 2010. I played in groups till 14, waiting for sow; then soloed pretty much to 60. A group of players noticed me around a lot when they were and I sold them lots of ports so they asked me to join their, as they called it, family guild. I noticed a few odd things like they had a wizard porter account that would log on just to port us to sky. I thought they were going to use me for free ports but it just turned out they didn’t have a druid and didn’t want druid drops going to waste. We would port up to sky when we heard the fairies were up, we would just take them from whomever was up there, we didn’t care we just wanted out island one drops. We did fear a few times and I probably killed 25 gorgons or more and never got one druid item to drop. Then the server staff really laid the hammer down and banned/deleveled people from 60 to 54. My guild leader was deleveled along with over half the guild.

I was about 57 when I apped to The Mystical Order. I was able to level up with them working on VP key parts. I grinded out 59 in perma bear pits with a 4 pack of red bull, only need 2. TMO had lots of druids which let us mobilize pretty quickly.

I found a nice role as a mini group leader. My favorite raid group was 5 wizards plus me as a druid. It was nice, the wizards and mages would ask me for invites and sometimes when we got 40+ turn outs, I would end up forming several groups. I would invite a chanter that was doing a /tell for GRM, the chanter would like WTF there are no people here, and then boom I would have several others join, pass off leader ship and form up another group. Some wizards held out on group invites when they knew I was at a raid.

Being able to notice that we only have say like one bard and getting that bard with the MT warrior was key to quick engages too. The batphone would go out, I would log on and start making groups. A raid leader or officer would check numbers while they were logging in, like asking how many we have at Trak ledge. The officer would be told something like we got 20. The officer would say, well form up groups and get buffs. And it was real nice when that was already happening before someone with authority showed up.

I really enjoyed raiding Kunark as TMO, it was fun playing the underdog to IB and then server bad guy to everyone else. We ran the poopsockers out of Trak’s lair, we got to enjoy it all of 2011. We had something like 18 months of uncontested VP kills. So bragging that my 60 druid has the server 7th or 8th Crown of Rile is kinda neat but was not easy to get. One had to have something like a 60% raid attendance, lots of tracking hours, and have hundreds of DKP earned up. By the time I hit the 1000 DKP club there were like 20 full time TMO members with that number or greater with something like a roster of 60+ active players.

But raiding Kunark also burned me out to raiding and now I just lurk around on my chanter alt some. I am like 32 hanging out in FM giant fort, a cool iskar warrior talked a pick up group of 6 to do a Nurga to Droga crawl and it was a blast.

who was your main in TMO? My guess ... Happyfeets. The only other druids that I can think of that made it past 1000 dkp were Portsche and Fountree. Portsche got his crown sometime later than that ... and I doubt Fountree would have gotten a crown.

ohno fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Anarch, are you able to make the Human Cultural armor of Rallos Zek? Or any of those Human sets?

I can work on getting the mats, just need someone to craft the plate armor.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hello PvP friends,

Does anyone besides me and Have Some Flowers! play on eqpvp? It's got about the population of red99 at this point but is almost entirely pvp-focused. Team pvp, good and evil team, and will add a neutral team when enough people are playing since numbers are increasing. Dual boxing is legal but mostly used for buffs or grinding xp which takes very little time anyway (you can go 0 to the current level cap in an afternoon if you stick to the hotzones and have a small group).

It's far from perfect but does what it sets out to do very well and marries very fast leveling with actual pvp incentives. Anyway, it is fun if you like punching people while wearing fairly garbage gear and building up pvp points to eventually buy your epic.

We're running a Mage/Druid/Monk comp most of the time now in pvp and we're sadly about 1-2 players short of winning all of our fights instead of about half of them. If you play on this server please let me know so I can be your friend or have you join my guild or have me join your guild or something, I am tired of only having a group of 3 when a lot of the evil team runs in groups of 6 like smarties.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

SoUr posted:

Anarch, are you able to make the Human Cultural armor of Rallos Zek? Or any of those Human sets?

I can work on getting the mats, just need someone to craft the plate armor.
Not yet. I can make regular/imbued dark elven chain, regular/imbued dwarven chain, and basic (not enchanted or imbued) dwarven plate.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Anarch posted:

Not yet. I can make regular/imbued dark elven chain, regular/imbued dwarven chain, and basic (not enchanted or imbued) dwarven plate.
Out of curiosity, what kind of ballpark price is it for a full suit of visible (1 bracer) enchanted non-imbued DE chain? I'm away from EQ for the next few months but when I get back that would look dope on my enchanter.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

Anarch posted:

Is this because of lack of skill?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Gray Matter posted:

Out of curiosity, what kind of ballpark price is it for a full suit of visible (1 bracer) enchanted non-imbued DE chain? I'm away from EQ for the next few months but when I get back that would look dope on my enchanter.

If you can enchant the adamantite (level 49) and farm the temper (kill a bunch of shadowmen and a few lfay elves), it'll only cost a few hundred platinum for the adamantite. It's honestly one of the easiest cultural armors to make.

SoUr posted:

Is this because of lack of skill?
I don't have a human smith.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 3, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

FranktheBank posted:

FashionQuest is most important.

This is legitimately true & good advice. Play whatever race you think looks the coolest. It doesn't matter in velious anymore. Iksar and Troll are moderately better than other races when available, with exception to necros--ALWAYS go Iksar. Ogres are good for shamans who want to solo high level summoning named mobs, but worse at everything else. There's a few minor race/diety restricted quests and items in the game. Beyond that race literally does not matter at all!!!

Also most of the stereotypically "best" races aren't even the best anymore with velious. Ex: Ogre warriors are some of the worst, halfling human etc is better.

Faction doesn't work like it did in classic, it's comparably very easy to fix them so I wouldn't bother factoring it into race choice. Exception being with The Overthere faction -- Puppet strings have been glitched for months and dropping 1 charge so there's been an extreme shortage on red. Not sure if it's the same on blue. It's nice to roll a race like Dark Elf that can get that faction off a few whip turn ins versus iksar which takes tens of thousands.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Race bonuses and faction points aren't very good at all for any SK stuff. Same issue I have being a High Elf Paladin. Race to the bottom

High elf paladins are great unless you didn't roll tunare. Free almost-epic and good int.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 4, 2016

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

Anarch posted:

If you can enchant the adamantite (level 49) and farm the temper (kill a bunch of shadowmen and a few lfay elves), it'll only cost a few hundred platinum for the adamantite. It's honestly one of the easiest cultural armors to make.

Doesn't enchanting the adamantite require a Blue Diamond (worth 2kpp)? Or is this not consumed on cast?

Anarch posted:

I was under the impression you just had to be able to physically get to the forge to use it to make the cultural armor sets; am I wrong? Do you have to be the same race as the gear you are making?

I bought the booze required to make the Sea Temper for the human plate set and am working on fishing the other lame component (Saltwater Seaweed), then I will brew the Sea Tempers, imbue the jades on my shaman, and just find someone with high enough skill to push the button on the forge for me.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

SoUr posted:

Doesn't enchanting the adamantite require a Blue Diamond (worth 2kpp)? Or is this not consumed on cast?

I was under the impression you just had to be able to physically get to the forge to use it to make the cultural armor sets; am I wrong? Do you have to be the same race as the gear you are making?

I bought the booze required to make the Sea Temper for the human plate set and am working on fishing the other lame component (Saltwater Seaweed), then I will brew the Sea Tempers, imbue the jades on my shaman, and just find someone with high enough skill to push the button on the forge for me.

The blue diamonds no longer get consumed on the enchant cast.

Yeah, the cultural smithing requires the tradeskiller to be that race. You'll be able to open the forge but not craft any of it in a foreign town.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Sorry for the E/N, feel free to not read it.

Do you guys ever have problems putting EQ down for a weeks at a time? Maybe I am in the minority, but I really love Everquest, I often dream about it. So when life gets in the way, and I have to put it down for a few weeks at a time, I always have this feeling that I am missing out on something huge. I know that this is a 17 year old game, and I happen to play on the server with a hundred people on it, but there is this always a lingering feeling that I should be playing--when I am not playing. I have been thinking about deleting my characters on P99, but between blue and red there are so many hours I have spent farming pixels and making friends.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

lemonslol posted:

Do you guys ever have problems putting EQ down for a weeks at a time? Maybe I am in the minority, but I really love Everquest, I often dream about it. So when life gets in the way, and I have to put it down for a few weeks at a time, I always have this feeling that I am missing out on something huge. I know that this is a 17 year old game, and I happen to play on the server with a hundred people on it, but there is this always a lingering feeling that I should be playing--when I am not playing. I have been thinking about deleting my characters on P99, but between blue and red there are so many hours I have spent farming pixels and making friends.
Everquest (first several expansions, anyway) is still to this day the best game I have ever played and expect it to remain the best going forward. I go through periods of intense play, lose interest for months or years at a time, and it's still awesome when I inevitably regain interest. Don't delete your characters, just do something else for awhile. If there's one thing I've learned after being hooked on a couple MMOs, it's that deleting your characters isn't going to stop you from playing - it's only going to cause regret. It will be a very sad day for me if/when P99 goes under or loses sufficient population to make it not worthwhile, since I have no real desire to play EQlive in its current state.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dirt posted:

Some things on this server never change

That dude has been standing there AFK every day for as long I can remember. Doesn't matter the day/time, he is there.

This reminded me of when EQ was in beta and there was this barbarian pc that was sat in a hobbit house in rivervale and if you ever went into this house he would shout. ' GET OUT'
This guy was there every loving day and did nothing else.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

lemonslol posted:

Feel free to delete away on P99 if it helps, the staff can get them back for you. It might take a week or three but it will happen.

EQ is a helluva drug and it's because of the persistent competition over limited resources in a persistent social environment. You are not only worried about missing out on good drops or a sweet XP group, but you're also worried about missing out on something cool your online elf buddies/rivals (who you see and compete with/against all the time) got to do because they didn't log out to sleep/go to work/take care of kids/spend time with friends/better_life_choice001. This doesn't happen as much in a lot of other games because resources are less scarce (run the instance again) and what little socializing there is is often with forgettable standins for the duration of a dungeon or raid run. Having an alt that you strictly solo on is a good break if you still want to be EQing without the above issues, but taking a break from EQ altogether and doing something else is probably better.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

Anarch posted:

I just realized my dream of a Human Shadowknights of Rallos Zek with some cheap Rallos Zek cultural armor will never happen, since HUM SHD can't use that armor.

So I've decided to stick with my DEF SHD instead of rerolling; I noticed the enchanted cultural doesn't use the imbued gems, which are the extra expensive part, and they have fairly decent stats for a SHD anyway. I'll be farming the mats and will let you know once I got the stuff for a full set of this.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

High elf paladins are great unless you didn't roll tunare. Free almost-epic and good int.

Yeah, but before Natty D was put in, they were easily the worst. My older brother played one up to 60 and raided a bit with him and always said it was the worst race/class in game, but when he got that sword and was able to quit attempting Fiery Avenger questing, he said it had all been worth it

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, but before Natty D was put in, they were easily the worst. My older brother played one up to 60 and raided a bit with him and always said it was the worst race/class in game, but when he got that sword and was able to quit attempting Fiery Avenger questing, he said it had all been worth it

if we're talking kunark era, ya they're the worst.
if we're talking velious era, even without the nature's D they have the best starting stats of any paladin race. especially for peeveepee.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

with exception to necros--ALWAYS go Iksar.

Meh, I knew Iksar Necros were superior, but went Erudite because that's what I played way back as my first character on live. Iksar regen at 60 is absolutely incredible. Erudites have a few very small actual advantages: huge int means more points into stamina, and very cheap flayed skin armor if you're an actual newbie (some pieces which I'm still wearing at 59).

I'm all for the fashionquest though. I want the necro thurgadin robe over the skyshrine one. That thing looks SICK

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
On live I always kept a Gossamer Robe in my necros inventory. People would always stop and ask where I found a pure white robe and assumed it was a great item since I was wearing it over all the usual robes you see at 60. Hell, as a necro it doesn't matter too much if we're in our boxers.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
other time race matters:
small race is always better in indoor zones
primal proc size is based on your race
gnome wall looking is very good on red (other small races can do it w/ shrink pots)
racial sneak is pro as gently caress

basically, always roll halfling when it's an option.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

other time race matters:
primal proc size is based on your race

How?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Also most of the stereotypically "best" races aren't even the best anymore with velious. Ex: Ogre warriors are some of the worst, halfling human etc is better.

What happened to ogres going into Velious? I thought they were always unstunnable from the front or did they gently caress with that going into this expansion. In any case, you can still bash without a shield as the large races, so there's always that.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

lemonslol posted:

I feel pretty much the opposite. Literally nothing in changes in EQ aside from the rare patch that removes/nerfs an item as per regular timeline. The same content and stuff to do will always be there. The community more or less never changes. Maybe this is more to do with the social aspect of it for you, but I think a fear of missing out, socially speaking, is pretty normal. I have never had "friends" in Everquest so I haven't had this problem.

I mostly got into P99 because I was bummed I had never once made it to level 60 in EQ despite playing 10+ years. And I never raided, especially not so as a teenager when I couldn't dedicate enough time to playing due to school and puberty. Once I got to 60 on P99, raided a bit, and got bored of it, I never much felt the need to play again. Yeah there's a strange sense of fulfillment sitting around in a well balanced group as a level twenty something whatever in some classic zone working towards some new awesome set of spells, but the hours of LFG and insanely slow experience make me get over it pretty quick. Nothing will ever really quite match the feeling of reaching Greater Healing (and later Complete Healing) on my first EQ character (a cleric) and feeling like a healing god.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 5, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

if we're talking kunark era, ya they're the worst.
if we're talking velious era, even without the nature's D they have the best starting stats of any paladin race. especially for peeveepee.

We played classic-halfway through Luclin, we had both just hit 60 a few weeks before Velious dropped. Dude was salty over the grueling leveling considering he really only played 3-4 days a week due to having a life outside the game. Comparatively, I loved my Wood Elf Ranger and only rolled a paladin in this because I was always a little jealous of how good his Paladin was when we'd do poo poo together

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 5, 2016

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

Pillow Armadillo posted:

To clarify, I have all of the mats you'll need. Just won't have time to run to Cabilis until later tonight to do the brewing. I've been keeping two stacks of this in my bank for the master race shamans that stick around.

None of that is necessary. I've got enough materials for 1.5 stacks of Scale Tempers. Keep your current banded and sell it for spell money, just let me know which pieces you want crafted.

Pillow, what do you need to make a pair of the Imbued Cabilis Scale Bracelets (x2) and a Cabilis Scale Cape? I'm looking at alternatives for these slots and I'm convinced these give the best bang for their buck.

I can get the Amber and Imbue it myself, I remember you mentioned that you had plenty of Froglok and Sarnak blood and was only missing the Isksar blood? Is this still the case?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

The size you turn into is based on your starting race, regardless of what illusion you are in. For instance, a barbarian rogue in a gnome or dark elf mask with primal procced = size of an ogre. A gnome rogue with an erudite mask and primal procced = erudite the size of a shrink potted gnome. I wish I knew this before I rolled my rogue, but hey sleeper's awoken and there's no going back!

DeathSandwich posted:

What happened to ogres going into Velious? I thought they were always unstunnable from the front or did they gently caress with that going into this expansion. In any case, you can still bash without a shield as the large races, so there's always that.

They still are, but contrary to popular belief FSI doesn't do much of anything for warriors. It comes out to being like +2-3% aggro generation, on the race that has the hardest time capping all melee stats. The main usefulness to FSI is that you don't get stunned while you're trying to position raid mobs, which is a mild inconvenience at worst. Still a great racial ability for soloing shamans. Velious gear absolutely shits out +STR and +STA meaning you'll reach the cap too easily and have difficult getting points into agi and dex. The best warrior races are now iksar for the +AC bonus or halfling due to very high starting dex, agi, and racial sneak.

Keep in mind I'm talking about end game velious raiding min/max, Ogres are still solid for non twinked characters, group content, people who don't raid etc. Best PVP race is also totally a different answer because things like 2h bash start to matter!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 5, 2016

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
Just realized today on my lowbie halfling druid that sneak+cammo is like having a self invis + ivu. Undead are indifferent even when directly in front of them. Never knew this somehow. Thanks p99 thread.

cinder fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 6, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

cinder posted:

Just realized today on my lowbie halfling druid that sneak+cammo is like having a self invis + ivu. Undead are indifferent even when directly in front of them. Never knew this somehow. Thanks p99 thread.

Wait, what? I'm going to have to test that with the bat room in Lguk or the sonic bats in sol b.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

cinder posted:

Yep it isn't quite as good as rogue hidesneak but it's overpowered. Not classic, but reported and unfixed for 2 years.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

yeah i had no idea how good halfling was until that thread

luckily i'd been rolling halfling for looks anyway :smug:

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

lemonslol posted:

I felt that pressure to play when I tried the new TLP server Phinigel, which opens up expansions every 3 months. Everybody was pushing to do everything very quickly. P99 has a much more laid back vibe. The lack of progression is a blessing in that regard, you can take time off or go slow and everything will still be here waiting for you.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Aades posted:

I felt that pressure to play when I tried the new TLP server Phinigel, which opens up expansions every 3 months. Everybody was pushing to do everything very quickly. P99 has a much more laid back vibe. The lack of progression is a blessing in that regard, you can take time off or go slow and everything will still be here waiting for you.

p99 blue is so laid back that a guild can secure FTE on Tormax, port to ToV for other dragons, then come back for their reserved raid mobs. :gonk:

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
The raid scene is disgusting. But for blue 99, that's a known fact.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Pillow Armadillo posted:

p99 blue is so laid back that a guild can secure FTE on Tormax, port to ToV for other dragons, then come back for their reserved raid mobs. :gonk:

Sirken was asked to clarify the stall/kite rules for this exact reason during the nerd summit, and he flat out refused. He said that he feels that "black and white" rules lead to more PetitionQuest.

At this point, I can't even blame the players for the toxic raid scene. It's almost entirely Sirken's fault.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

we play on the dumbest of all possible servers

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Sirken, p1999 Raid Rules posted:

Q12: What exactly does the Staff consider a stall?
A: As far as engage stalls, the Staff will grant you one DA, or about that much time on an engage before considering it a stall. So it’s important that guilds do not engage a mob until they are ready to kill it. The spirit of the rule (and what we are looking to do here) is to prevent guilds from locking up a target before they are ready to kill it, just to prevent other guilds that are ready to kill it first/faster. If you stall, you need to drop aggro immediately and concede/forfeit the mob. Any number of players can be considered to be stalling a mob, what we look for is the engage of the kill force. I know some of you want an exact number of seconds, or players, or DPS done, but the fact is that’s just not realistic with guilds being so vastly different in numbers and strength while also competing for the same content. The most important thing here is the statement about the spirit of this rule stated above.
I guess this is old and doesn't mat...

Sirken, p1999 Raid Rules posted:

Last Updated: April 5, 2016
Oh...

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Anarch posted:

I guess this is old and doesn't mat...

Oh...

It's basically unchanged from the previous iteration. It also doesn't make any provisions for the silly footrace FTE rules that are going on in Kael currently.

Hopefully we keep getting more earthquakes so that people are busy killing poo poo instead of drafting petitions and editing video.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
the earthquake last night was pretty wild and fun. we were clearing level 2 of plane of hate when it happened, and of course, suddenly innoruuks spawn (the OLDSCHOOL version along with the new revamped one) and the oldschool one proceeds to engage me of all people first, deathtouching me.

because of the full-zone repop we aggroed a lot from first and second floor, wiped pretty badly and had to break back into the zone-in, and it was the first full coffin recovery i've seen in years and years.

fun only because we went after a lot of new targets afterwards. first time i saw trakanon in a long time, and first time i've ever seen Zlandicar. we wiped again to zlandicar :( dude is tough to the point where it feels resists are sorta broken on p99. only the level 60s with 255 MR were resisting his AoE fear, but the MT with just as high stats couldn't stop the chain stuns.

apparently though, after the guild summit with Sirken not too long ago they'll be changing resists around a bit in some patch.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

pepito sanchez posted:

apparently though, after the guild summit with Sirken not too long ago they'll be changing resists around a bit in some patch.

That's good to hear. Zland and Kland should be a lot easier than they are.

Zland is particularly rough without poo poo tons of Wort pots and Reapers/Soulfires to keep people from catching low HP aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

faulteroy posted:

That's good to hear. Zland and Kland should be a lot easier than they are.

Zland is particularly rough without poo poo tons of Wort pots and Reapers/Soulfires to keep people from catching low HP aggro.
Speaking of this, can anyone recall raid guilds back in the day "exploiting" clickies such as Soulfire, Ivy Hoop and the like? I wasn't in the top raid scene back then, but you'd wonder why anyone would ever wipe to a 32k dragon if they had Ivy Hoops at hand back then...

It's funny to see that server-wide broadcast constantly on P99 when someone obtains a Soulfire. I guess raiders are on a constant grind on off-raid hours for the quest items.