Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

2DCAT posted:

Thanks, Richard!

I recovered my account, now that I can't get a refund this will be my favorite game that I cheerlead for as I patiently wait for the final release to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

$__ or $___ or are we talking about $_,___? God help you if it's the latter.

$___. Not as bad as it could have been.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
R28 write up made me reconsider how I feel about the game, if they're making this many changes in the months leading up to the final wipe, assuming they add a bunch of content and refine it to hell I think this could really be something special. Sure, the fundamental problems I have with it (the level design feeling like Unity scenes, invisible walls and all) won't be addressed but at least they could turn it into something worth playing.

It's not the Ultima Online successor I've been waiting 15 years for, but at least it'll have some UO-esque features and the same community.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/935/feature/10705/Shroud-of-the-Avatar-Release-28-Hard-WorkWork.html

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

R28 write up made me reconsider how I feel about the game, if they're making this many changes in the months leading up to the final wipe, assuming they add a bunch of content and refine it to hell I think this could really be something special. Sure, the fundamental problems I have with it (the level design feeling like Unity scenes, invisible walls and all) won't be addressed but at least they could turn it into something worth playing.

It's not the Ultima Online successor I've been waiting 15 years for, but at least it'll have some UO-esque features and the same community.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/935/feature/10705/Shroud-of-the-Avatar-Release-28-Hard-WorkWork.html

Hey, more power to them. If they manage to turn this mess around for any reasonable % of their backers, I'll definitely pop on and play.

But I'm very, very glad I didn't back this, or pay more than the Steam game price. I genuinely don't see how they can get out of the two major issues I see: the "scene" based game, and the ridiculous whale-baiting housing costs. Like I've said before, that second one is a hard one to deal with. If it's truly easy to get a house in-game, your whales paying $20 United States dollars for a goddamn tree are going to be pissed. And if you make it very hard to get a house in-game, nobody new is going to play.

Again, this is the Star Citizen issue in a nushell (or, at least, it would be the Star Citizen issue in a nutshell if Star Citizen were actually a game). You've charged a lot of real money for an in-game advantage. That gives you a major cash injection early on in your development... but it sure makes it hard for anyone new to jump on board.

And, yes, having a house is a major in-game advantage. Right now, the bank can hold something like 40 items without upgrades.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

extra stout posted:

I recovered my account, now that I can't get a refund this will be my favorite game that I cheerlead for as I patiently wait for the final release to install it.

You can sell your account on their forums, I think: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/player-marketplace.73/.

Many of their insane $__,___ whales have gotten out via that method. Apparently some dude named Ravicus sold off his $20,000 worth of pledges. Another guy named Blakestone or something was in for $60,000 and did the same.

I got this info by searching for "shroud of the avatar terrible" and there's an extremely pissed-off blogger out there who's really mad about Player Owned Towns (I think they're actually a cool idea). https://insanemembrain.wordpress.com/category/shroud-of-the-avatar-my-rants/

I don't know what you can do if it's linked to your Steam Account though, yeah.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
R28 just released, optimization improved in some areas but tanked in others (was getting 48FPS in the Isle of Storms or whatever and now it's 60FPS, Resolute was 38FPS now it's tanking down to the single digits). Lots of new content, like 40 new scenes but I haven't logged in since January.

Specs for reference
W10 64-bit
2560x1440 @ 60hz
Intel 6700K (Skylake)
16GB of DDR4 @ 3200mhz
Nvidia 980ti

It's getting there.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

R28 just released, optimization improved in some areas but tanked in others (was getting 48FPS in the Isle of Storms or whatever and now it's 60FPS, Resolute was 38FPS now it's tanking down to the single digits). Lots of new content, like 40 new scenes but I haven't logged in since January.

Specs for reference
W10 64-bit
2560x1440 @ 60hz
Intel 6700K (Skylake)
16GB of DDR4 @ 3200mhz
Nvidia 980ti

It's getting there.

So any hint as to when this gonna be fully released?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iminers posted:

So any hint as to when this gonna be fully released?

Pre-Alpha launched November 2014 and it is still pre-alpha. Wouldn't expect release for at least another 2 years.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Pretty sure launch is around July or August.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Pre-Alpha launched November 2014 and it is still pre-alpha. Wouldn't expect release for at least another 2 years.

LumberingTroll posted:

Pretty sure launch is around July or August.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Node posted:

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Game a hot mess

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The official FAQ doesn't have a release date. July or August is not going to happen or at least I hope not. Game is not anywhere close to polished enough to make that happen.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Pretty sure I got an email saying that just before launch people with property would get to have final land reservation selection, that thats supposed to happen around then.

Edit: Yeah I was right, July 28th

quote:

Greetings Avatars,

We are incredibly excited to announce that we have scheduled final lot selection and our final wipe, including all social data (names, friends, guilds), for Release 32, July 28, 2016! After Release 32, we will no longer be wiping the game state. Your characters and your properties will be persistent from that date forward.

source: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=56193

I suppose you could argue that "open beta" which is what mmos change to when they no longer wipe, is not release, but in the world of mmos, open beta is release so yeah....

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 4, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
If they can focus on optimization and refining the content they already have, I think it'll be alright.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

If they can focus on optimization and refining the content they already have, I think it'll be alright.

really?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The official FAQ doesn't have a release date. July or August is not going to happen or at least I hope not. Game is not anywhere close to polished enough to make that happen.

How the hell does that happen when this game has been in developement since 2014?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

iminers posted:

How the hell does that happen when this game has been in developement since 2014?

The game has been in development since early 2013. It was originally scheduled to launch in late 2014, and in fact, that's still the launch date on the site.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iminers posted:

How the hell does that happen when this game has been in development since 2014?

One of the major disadvantages of crowd funding games is that the developer has no oversight or people that they have to answer to. Crowd funding removes any and all obligation to the developer to deliver an actual game, this is why this method of funding games has become so popular for the smaller developers not already under one of the major publishers. So they don't have a reason for their producers to do their job, game is already funded, everyone is already paid, they can take their time delivering the title. In theory this means a better game, but in reality that is usually far far from how it actually works. If Richard Garriot was still at Electronic Arts then I have no doubt Shroud of the Avatar would have launched in 2014 and would have been a much better game for it too. His idea's are so off the wall insane though that every publisher knows better then to fund his projects because they aren't games people really want to play.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

What's really interesting to me is the point you've made there about publishers and schedule oversight. Between this and Star Citizen (and a thousand other complete failures of games on Kickstarter), I feel like we're seeing the evolution of the industry in fast forward.

Much like bitcoin and their recreation of financial regulations, this is why we need publishers.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm excited to see this game go from Pre-Alpha, through Alpha, and Betas, to Launch... in the course of a few months.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Also, I like how 2 years later, this game still looks and plays like a game that is in Pre-Alpha and one that is in no way close to release. Only a first class dev team can pull off a feat like that.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

2DCAT posted:

Also, I like how 2 years later, this game still looks and plays like a game that is in Pre-Alpha and one that is in no way close to release. Only a first class dev team can pull off a feat like that.

I watched a video of the melee combat and spellcasting and it looks loving terrible.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

I said come in! posted:

One of the major disadvantages of crowd funding games is that the developer has no oversight or people that they have to answer to. Crowd funding removes any and all obligation to the developer to deliver an actual game, this is why this method of funding games has become so popular for the smaller developers not already under one of the major publishers. So they don't have a reason for their producers to do their job, game is already funded, everyone is already paid, they can take their time delivering the title. In theory this means a better game, but in reality that is usually far far from how it actually works. If Richard Garriot was still at Electronic Arts then I have no doubt Shroud of the Avatar would have launched in 2014 and would have been a much better game for it too. His idea's are so off the wall insane though that every publisher knows better then to fund his projects because they aren't games people really want to play.

I hate most publishers but this seems pretty true, now that Richard is doing this as a hobby and is too wealthy to consider this a serious job, I'm guessing he conference calls in a few times a week and a bunch of dudes have to build a game and try to set their own deadline, and then instead of a completed game all of us who donated three years ago get 150 weekly emails about retarded furry conventions and donating for someone's cancer treatments and all sorts of poo poo that Richard could just write a check for, but it's becoming this long drawn out niche community instead of a finished game I could ever get even a single friend to buy and join me on.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Welp managed to sell my pledge on the official forums, so I am not officially out of this disaster. Good luck fellas and gals.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

poo poo hit the fan when they asked for half a mil to design elves imo

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

why isnt lum the mad posting here now? i know smoking rickard garriot pole is a demanding vocation but get your fat rear end over here and get flamed goon

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lum_ posted:

There was also the time a crazy guy invaded Richard's castle and Richard literally held him off with an Uzi (because, of course, it was RIGHT THERE) while waiting for the cops to arrive.

http://www.fastcompany.com/60790/do-you-want-play

(The same crazy guy later died naked in a Sea World tank after trying to molest a whale.)

would you look at that post, that a million dollars worth of sucking dick

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

gonna be some zero g cocksucking when you two hit the exosphere, maybe the first yet

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I banish thee

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

its not personal, just following orders

"wait until the fanboiest goon here expresses regret, then dispense justice"

its been a long road but we finally reached point zero

and yes, thats you my friend goondolences

moneygrabbing cocksuckers loving making videos of robots with fucktards face cruising between cubicles and noone bats an eye

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Guards

Guards

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

anytime now that fat gently caress gonna get back here to play girlscout for a scrub paycheck

go PR my loving rear end in a top hat on reddit

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
clearly this is a good poster and i should indulge his reasoned well thought out questions on game development

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm about to Rescu some Recdu ITT

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 9, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

nice meltdown.

If you have to blame Lum for anything, he couldn't even sneak in a few friends for some free alpha testing :colbert:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dandywalken posted:

I'm about to Rescu some Recdu ITT

but that would just take you back to where you started

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Decided to look at their game forums. Current top of their GBS forum is a thread titled "What % of the population should be able to own land?" Here's what their playerbase wants:

"No, everyone should not be able to claim a lot. Lots are designed to be limited and rare. No more than 15% of the active player base should (ever) have direct access to housing. If they want to rent, fine."

".01% Only The Elite!"

"Exactly right, only the best of the best - the true bastions of our community. You should have to have a Nobles Orb to place deeds."

Much later in the thread, someone else gets it:

"It has always been the plan outlined that only a minor percentage of players will be able to own housing. That is fair enough, I just don't get why if that is the case, it has been the MAJOR part of the development process. Because if there is one system in this game that you can't fault for depth of features and polish, it's housing and player towns."

Then again, another front-page post has a thread wherein 16 deluded people voted that they believe SotA will be the next WoW-killer ("SoTA will soar to the success and population size of say, World of Warcraft"). Also present in that thread are the usual "wow is for casuals" and "wow is for call of duty console tards".

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 10, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can you have your own plot of land and house in the single player offline version?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Node posted:

but that would just take you back to where you started

Gotta have it on the all-purpose "guards bank rescu redcu I ban thee" macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Gotta have it on the all-purpose "guards bank rescu redcu I ban thee" macro.

You forgot vendor buy

• Locked thread