Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
MSNBC is interviewing Brewers fans right now about who they're voting for tomorrow. Opening day is today, and the game begins in just over an hour. If you've not been or know nothing about Brewers games, the drinking started at about 10 this morning, most people will be hammered by this point, and most people will find their seat sometime around the 2nd or 3rd inning.

Basically, MSNBC is interviewing a bunch of drunk people about politics.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boon posted:

MSNBC is interviewing Brewers fans right now about who they're voting for tomorrow. Opening day is today, and the game begins in just over an hour. If you've not been or know nothing about Brewers games, the drinking started at about 10 this morning, most people will be hammered by this point, and most people will find their seat sometime around the 2nd or 3rd inning.

They should probably be posting in dadchat then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The 2020 Election is going to be an odd one.

In 2014, the average age of a Fox News viewer was 68. I know that averages won't track 1-to-1 six years later, but... That's an old rear end demographic to rely on.

Right now, Charles Koch is 80. David Koch is 75. Rupert Murdoch is 85. Roger Ailes is 75. Mitch McConnell is 74.

Sure, they could live another 20 years. But then we all assumed that Scalia was an immortal lich who would never fall until the original Declaration was found and Hancock's signature stricken from it by a second son of a second son with a pure heart and a silver birthmark, and look where that got us.

Lots of folks will still be around, no doubt, but time and old age are A Thing that catch up with everyone.

All of them have kids just as awful as them or new far(ther) right politicians to run for office. You aren't going to just wait out poo poo that has been getting rebuild since the Gilded Age ended.

poor life choice posted:

I haven't done much reading on the guy, but I remember a politico article on Castro that barely qualifies as damning with faint praise. He's young and has a fantastic speaking voice, but I wonder at his credentials after someone pointed out to me that being mayor of San Antonio is basically just chief city council member, and a city engineer actually ran things. Does anyone have anything worth reading?

e: here is the story: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/julian-castro-possible-vice-president-218119

That's still more leadership experience than Obama had when he got elected andand excluding HUD experience or the time he'd have as VP for 4 years in this scenario.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh my God gently caress Lotus Notes so hard. That poo poo is secure by virtue of it being too slow to hack.

genuinely the rationale my organization uses

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

All of them have kids just as awful as them or new far(ther) right politicians to run for office. You aren't going to just wait out poo poo that has been getting rebuild since the Gilded Age ended.

That's still more leadership experience than Obama had when he got elected andand excluding HUD experience or the time he'd have as VP for 4 years in this scenario.

They won't be "just as awful" but they will still be bad. Younger conservatives are more liberal on social issues, especially gay rights, but outside of that yeah they won't be too different.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boon posted:

Well, that is the most accurate state of mind to interview Wisconsin voters in.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MaxxBot posted:

They won't be "just as awful" but they will still be bad. Younger conservatives are more liberal on social issues, especially gay rights, but outside of that yeah they won't be too different.

That's probably worse, IMO. Imagine if Republicans were self-aware enough to try swinging the "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" idiots that are a natural Republican constituency - the younger folks are probably smart enough to pull that off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottBaio/status/716822976004358144

Well that's a new one. If global warming then why snow on mountains, science?

It makes me sad that people are still confident enough to broadcast opinions this loving stupid.

Why is it cold in a cold place??? Can't explain that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

It makes me sad that people are still confident enough to broadcast opinions this loving stupid.

Why is it cold in a cold place??? Can't explain that.

Baio is a long standing tweeter of extremely hot GOP takes
https://twitter.com/ScottBaio/status/251401769932963841

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

duz posted:

Well that's what you want for a VP isn't it? Someone who speaks well and can stay on message. In my fantasy world, being VP gives him the experience to be President, in the real world? eh, we'll see.
And you're correct into how San Antonio's mayorship is run. It's kind of like the separation of head of state and head of government.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Fair points. I guess I just have this (not researched) sense that the dem presidential candidate bench isn't very deep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Opening day of baseball is the worst day for journalist twitter.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Anything baseball related on twitter is bad.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

baseball is bad.

trim the fat

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

poor life choice posted:

Fair points. I guess I just have this (not researched) sense that the dem presidential candidate bench isn't very deep.

That's only because Hillary crushed the invisible primary. Absent a dominant figure like Hillary uniting the Democratic party behind her you would have seen a much more robust primary. Off the top of my head:

Ron Wyden - probably running on a comprehensive privacy platform
Deval Patrick - trying to keep together the Obama coalition
Kristen Gillibrand - trying to be Hillary 2.0
Andrew Cuomo - trying to be the biggest tool on Earth
Joe Biden - just being Joe, though maybe not because his son still dies in this alternate timeline.

And there might be some generals who might have thrown their hat into the ring like Wesley Clark did in 2004.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Elizabeth Warren.

My dream is that someday Russ Feingold, after his 2016 return to the Senate, makes a run at the presidency.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Someone just leaked a private survey conducted by LuntzGlobal, the polling and survey firm run by Republican strategist Frank Luntz, regarding the minimum wage. LuntzGlobal contacted over 1,000 high-ranking American executives and asked them if they supported raising the minimum wage. Over 80 per cent said yes and only 8 per cent said no.

Washington Post has more.

quote:

The survey of 1,000 business executives across the country was conducted by LuntzGlobal, the firm run by Republican pollster Frank Luntz, and obtained by a liberal watchdog group called the Center for Media and Democracy. (The slide deck is here, and the full questionnaire is here.) Among the most interesting findings: 80 percent of respondents said they supported raising their state's minimum wage, while only eight percent opposed it.

"That’s where it’s undeniable that they support the increase,” LuntzGlobal managing director David Merritt told state chamber executives in a webinar describing the results, noting that it squares with other polling they’ve done. “And this is universal. If you’re fighting against a minimum wage increase, you’re fighting an uphill battle, because most Americans, even most Republicans, are okay with raising the minimum wage.”

Merritt then provided some tips on how to defuse that support, such as suggesting other poverty-reduction methods like the Earned Income Tax Credit. “Where you might find some comfort if you are opposing it in your state is, 'how big of a priority is it against other priorities?'” he said. "Most folks think there are bigger priorities. Creating more jobs rather than raising the minimum wage is a priority that most everyone agrees with. So when you put it up against other issues, you can find other alternatives and other things to focus on. But in isolation, and you ask about the minimum wage, it's definitely a winner.”

Sixty-three percent of respondents said they belong to a chamber of commerce, whether on the local, state, or federal level — suggesting that the groups' public statements might be out of step with their members' beliefs. The materials shed light on how some business trade associations operate, and why they’ve continued to oppose minimum wage increases even as the rest of the public thaws towards them.

The research had been commissioned by the Council of State Chambers, a small, non-political umbrella organization that coordinates messaging across the dozens of groups that make up its membership. The main purpose of the survey, says Council director Joe Crosby, had been to assess what the broader business community thinks about state chambers, and what kind of language they respond to best. (Under the terms of its contract, Crosby says, LuntzGlobal was forbidden from discussing the survey publicly.)

I don't anticipate this affecting the debate over minimum wage, but it is interesting to see that the corporations who fight so much against increases minimum wage aren't really that opposed to it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Merritt's comments should be used aggresively in every ad ever about how the GOP doesn't have your, the working man/woman's interests at heart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Anything baseball related on twitter is bad.

I just can't figure out why these political journalists like this thing that is an arduous, impenetrable process that relies wholly on knowing what's going on behind the....Oh I figured it out.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
RINO hunting is becoming quite popular of late.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bit of a random question, and probably completely off base.

If the minimum wage is raised, that'll impact the expenses of a company, since a liability is going up and equity will go down. But can't you then turn around and write that off the taxes you're expected to pay and there-by, you know, lower your liabilities and raise your equity?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Man I love circular firing squads :unsmigghh:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

citybeatnik posted:

Bit of a random question, and probably completely off base.

If the minimum wage is raised, that'll impact the expenses of a company, since a liability is going up and equity will go down. But can't you then turn around and write that off the taxes you're expected to pay and there-by, you know, lower your liabilities and raise your equity?

No, a raise in the minimum wage will cause seas to evaporate, the skies to burn and the sun to explode. You fool.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Someone just leaked a private survey conducted by LuntzGlobal, the polling and survey firm run by Republican strategist Frank Luntz, regarding the minimum wage. LuntzGlobal contacted over 1,000 high-ranking American executives and asked them if they supported raising the minimum wage. Over 80 per cent said yes and only 8 per cent said no.

Washington Post has more.

I don't anticipate this affecting the debate over minimum wage, but it is interesting to see that the corporations who fight so much against increases minimum wage aren't really that opposed to it.

I love the loving panacea of the EITC. I just filed my taxes for last year, where I only made $9,000 (I was out of work most of the year). My EITC was roughly $400, granted, I don't have any kids.

$400. If the minimum wage was increased by only $1/hour, that equals an extra $2080 a year for anyone working 40 hours a week, and it's accessible every paycheck, not once a year.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's pretty bizarre to me how right wing political America is, and yet, it still loves the government-mandated minimum wage.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Radbot posted:

It's pretty bizarre to me how right wing political America is, and yet, it still loves the government-mandated minimum wage.

The extreme right wants it gone but it's a very popular program.

You could say that for a lot of things.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's no DINO hunting :(

Then again, the Blue Dogs are already dead, so maybe there's a good "already extinct" joke to be made here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Daniel Bryan posted:

The extreme right wants it gone but it's a very popular program.

You could say that for a lot of things.

No, the extreme right doesn't want it gone. Ask anyone who identifies as "very conservative" and thinks Obama is a communifascistHitler and, more than likely, they will want a minimum wage and as much Social Security and Medicare as they can eat. More proof that Americans are mostly dumb as gently caress.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The way I often frame my political stances is: "People love and agree with everything I want to do, they just don't know it yet." This is specifically in reference to minimum wage, affordable healthcare etc.

Also that idiot Merritt is going to fail horribly to cloud the min wage issue if that's the best he's got, the counter-argument is just as easily soundbitish: "I want Americans paid what their hard work is worth, not split between 3 different jobs so they can't see their kids."

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Radbot posted:

No, the extreme right doesn't want it gone. Ask anyone who identifies as "very conservative" and thinks Obama is a communifascistHitler and, more than likely, they will want a minimum wage and as much Social Security and Medicare as they can eat. More proof that Americans are mostly dumb as gently caress.

The extreme right politicians that people end up voting for because they're on the right side of social issues, I mean.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Radbot posted:

Or it's proof that the noise machine works. There's a difference between willful ignorance and being inundated with so much bullshit you don't know which way is up.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Edit: ^^^ true, but really it's a mixture of those two problems in healthy quantities. ^^^

Radbot posted:

It's almost like the system intended to provide basic education to the public has been intentionally and systematically dismantled over a period of decades. But who could possibly benefit from such an effort?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

mdemone posted:

Edit: ^^^ true, but really it's a mixture of those two problems in healthy quantities. ^^^

It's almost like the system intended to provide basic education to the public has been intentionally and systematically dismantled over a period of decades. But who could possibly benefit from such an effort?

It's almost as if the people that are the most conservative were far more likely to have taken advantage of robust public educational institutions before they were dismantled, as they're more likely to be old. Sorry, old white folks don't get to play the "b-b-but I just didn't KNOW" card.

And I'm sorry, you're just a loving idiot if you're a self-described "very conservative" person who is strongly against any gubbermint interference in anything, yet you're for a minimum loving wage, literal direct government interference in a private transaction.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Junior G-man posted:

Man I love circular firing squads :unsmigghh:

Then have I got a subforum for you!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Radbot posted:

It's almost as if the people that are the most conservative were far more likely to have taken advantage of robust public educational institutions before they were dismantled, as they're more likely to be old. Sorry, old white folks don't get to play the "b-b-but I just didn't KNOW" card.

And I'm sorry, you're just a loving idiot if you're a self-described "very conservative" person who is strongly against any gubbermint interference in anything, yet you're for a minimum loving wage, literal direct government interference in a private transaction.

Stop confusing me with your liberal bullshit!

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Radbot posted:

The whole point of the Tea Party is that they want those things, but only for the deserving. All Tea Party members know that they are hard workers, even the ones who are unemployed or retired, and hard workers have earned those benefits by being dedicated and motivated. Their objection is not to government benefits; the objection is to those benefits going to lazy undeserving people who haven't earned them. The way to tell if someone is lazy and undeserving is based mostly on skin color, but exceptions can be made for not loving Jeezus enough.

Edit: now with science!

quote:

Commentators have sometimes noted the irony that these same Tea Partiers who oppose “government spending” are themselves recipients of Social Security, Medicare, or disability payments. Don’t they know these are “big government” programs? Rather than assume ignorance, we should recognize that what appear to be contradictory or uninformed views of federal government programs make better sense once we understand how Tea Party activists view themselves in relation to other groups in society. Tea Party activists in Massachusetts, as well as nationally, define themselves as workers, in opposition to categories of non-workers they perceive as undeserving of government assistance. Concerns about freeloading underlie Tea Party opposition to government spending.

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 4, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lotka Volterra posted:

I'm also nearly certain that Vox piece is satire, seeing as that is the author's first and only article on the site. Seriously, guys?

So I have a few friends on facebook who personally know this guy and say it's legit. Fuckin lmao

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tobermory posted:

The whole point of the Tea Party is that they want those things, but only for the deserving. All Tea Party members know that they are hard workers, even the ones who are unemployed or retired, and hard workers have earned those benefits by being dedicated and motivated. Their objection is not to government benefits; the objection is to those benefits going to lazy undeserving people who haven't earned them. The way to tell if someone is lazy and undeserving is based mostly on skin color, but exceptions can be made for not loving Jeezus enough.

The data doesn't support this assertion: http://www.gallup.com/poll/165794/americans-raising-minimum-wage.aspx

Why are so many conservatives ready to raise the federal minimum wage, which cannot be tailored to only go to The Right People?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Radbot posted:

The data doesn't support this assertion: http://www.gallup.com/poll/165794/americans-raising-minimum-wage.aspx

Why are so many conservatives ready to raise the federal minimum wage, which cannot be tailored to only go to The Right People?

That survey doesn't distinguish between Tea Party Republicans and moderate Republicans. Most Republicans support a minimum wage hike. Most Tea Partiers do not.

I can't find a recent poll that crosstabs Tea Party support with views on a minimum wage hike, but here's one from 2013, another from 2013, and one from 2014.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I can't help but feel like this article shows that once again both parties aren't the same but desperately hopes at the end that they will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I never imagined those words would be said on mainstream news television in my lifetime.

Then again, 'Deez Nuts' happened, sooo :v:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 4, 2016

• Locked thread