Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I have a UW Midrange decklist made that includes Always Watching. Ojutai and Tithes are really good with it.

E: Also the list deals with Reality Smasher really well, a card that I think will be a huge problem to deal with in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

if thopter sword is good enough for modern, i think westvale abbey is good enough to fit in the deck

discuss

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sickening posted:

Its taking a turn off to play an anthem on turn 3 into a 4 cmc creature on turn 4. Vigilance doesn't make this insane to me.

More like you play an anthem, and then swing with your 1- and 2-drops, which are now bigger and vigilant. This helps them get through and survive or trade up from blocks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

you gain 5 life and get 5 flying thopters and life is great. you sac them to get a 9/7 that gets pathed

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if thopter sword is good enough for modern, i think westvale abbey is good enough to fit in the deck

discuss

Disgusting.

I love it.

(You don't sac if your opponent has removal mana up)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GeneX posted:

Disgusting.

I love it.

(You don't sac if your opponent has removal mana up)

The whole point of the deck is you kind of blank your opponent's removal so what does this actually do?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

besides, you're already way ahead if you're making tokens left and right, you don't need abbey

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Bonus posted:

besides, you're already way ahead if you're making tokens left and right, you don't need abbey

this, and also you're playing two or probably three colors and need to play colorless lands (academy ruins) already in a format with blood moon, so shaving basics to fit in another, far more marginal, colorless land probably costs more than it's worth

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zemyla posted:

More like you play an anthem, and then swing with your 1- and 2-drops, which are now bigger and vigilant. This helps them get through and survive or trade up from blocks.

There are a few 1 cmc creature removal spells still out there and all the 2 casting cost removal listed already. So depending on how lands came into play , who went first, and if you even have a 1 drop to play is going to vary this quite a bit. The dream of getting to be hyper aggressive and laying down anthem on 3 doesn't seem all reliable against most decks except maybe ramp?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

There are a few 1 cmc creature removal spells still out there and all the 2 casting cost removal listed already. So depending on how lands came into play , who went first, and if you even have a 1 drop to play is going to vary this quite a bit. The dream of getting to be hyper aggressive and laying down anthem on 3 doesn't seem all reliable against most decks except maybe ramp?

there's also the whole elephant in the room that if a white deck wants anthems the first 4 copies should probably be gideons

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

UberJew posted:

there's also the whole elephant in the room that if a white deck wants anthems the first 4 copies should probably be gideons

Except that isn't necessarily true at all. Just because they both provide anthems doesn't make Gideon automatically better in every case. In this instance, there's a bit of a lack of 3 drops for white weenie, and always watching fills that slot. Also the synergy with archangel of tithes quite possibly means you forgo Gideon completely and use the archangel as your top end, because the archangel actually provides evasion for your board of weenies that may otherwise get stonewalled by turn 4. It's an argument of raw card power vs card synergy, and for what's available there's a really good argument for always watching over Gideon in a low curve deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The whole point of the deck is you kind of blank your opponent's removal so what does this actually do?

Side it in game 2 when they side out all their targetted removal, then giggle.

Yeah doesnt seem that good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Remember the post about people complaining about refunded purchases on Sword of the Meek and Ancestral Visions?

Just had a pair of swords get refunded back to me, with the claim of "tcgplayer hasilty confirming the order for cards he no longer had"

And away we go~

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Remember the post about people complaining about refunded purchases on Sword of the Meek and Ancestral Visions?

Just had a pair of swords get refunded back to me, with the claim of "tcgplayer hasilty confirming the order for cards he no longer had"

And away we go~

Happens every time. Be sure to report them. They only ever get any action taken against them when they get a a certain number of reports.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Happens every time. Be sure to report them. They only ever get any action taken against them when they get a a certain number of reports.

I did. I also asked them that since they're so keen on offering me a deal to compensate, that if he could get me 38 bucks for the difference since that's the median price of SotM on tcgplayer is 27 and I paid 8 each, then 38 being the difference for both now then whatever.

Hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I did. I also asked them that since they're so keen on offering me a deal to compensate, that if he could get me 38 bucks for the difference since that's the median price of SotM on tcgplayer is 27 and I paid 8 each, then 38 being the difference for both now then whatever.

Hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The other one out of the playest is already confirmed shipped. These aren't even processed. I assume I will get the refund notification tomorrow.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I could see Abbey as a niche option post-sideboarding, as a few have mentioned already.

And no, I'm not saying that because I've got two for trade/sale. :ninja:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

bhsman posted:

I could see Abbey as a niche option post-sideboarding, as a few have mentioned already.

And no, I'm not saying that because I've got two for trade/sale. :ninja:

Trade/sell them asap. they might be under 10 bucks come this weekend.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
There's no way Abbey sustains more than five bucks unless it is WAY better with Secure the Wastes than I suspect it's going to be. I don't see it being particularly playable outside of that combo. If you have five dudes and six mana to blow, you're already winning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

How many people do you guys usually get at states? Per facebook I just found out that the one run in Texas is going to be in a place that fills up around 35 people nut to butt instead at the massive place its normally at. Do other states have such low turn outs?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Upon further thought, you're probably right.

I actually forgot that thopter foundry gives you life as well so it's not a useful trump against burn

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BJPaskoff posted:

No offense, but is it possible you're misremembering the sequence of events since you haven't played in at least a few months, were tired, and were thrown for a loop when your opponent scryed? For your opponent to gently caress up that bad on the mulligan rule (saying it only happens when both players mulligan) is strange when the rule has been in practice for months. Also why did he draw a card if he was taking the first turn, as you said? Also you said you saw other people do the same thing, were they also scrying and then drawing a card when they were on the play?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

He should've scryed before the game started, at a competitive event taking the scry after game actions have been taken is basically cheating. Your post also read to me like he chose to be on the play and still drew on turn 1, I'm assuming I'm reading that wrong?

Didn't misremember. He definitely scryed, then drew on his first turn despite being on the play. And yeah, there were other people doing the same thing. Not sure if I'll be playing at that LGS again, heard some bad things about it after the prerelease was done, but if I see it again I'll bring it up to a judge.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Anyone been testing ramp against stuff? My friends are lame-os with real life responsibilities preventing them from getting ready for scg baltimore.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Someone bought my prerelease promo Abbey for $35 :toot:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Forgive me if this was already commented on during spoiler season, but...

Does this remind anyone of Emrakul?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hahaha LSV just said on stream that at some point in the future he's gonna do a stream where he joins as many queues as possible at the same time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GonSmithe posted:

Hahaha LSV just said on stream that at some point in the future he's gonna do a stream where he joins as many queues as possible at the same time.

I've seen him do 4 (1 of which was a MOCS nonetheless) so I'm kinda curious how many he can actually do.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

The other one out of the playest is already confirmed shipped. These aren't even processed. I assume I will get the refund notification tomorrow.

I thought they can't do this on TCG? I'm kind of worried because I got Westvale Abbey's at $4.94 each and now they're pushing $20

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Sickening posted:

How do you report vendors? I got a message saying they were going to refund saying they were out of stock, which they haven't done yet. Guessing just sending a message through Customer Support?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

I thought they can't do this on TCG? I'm kind of worried because I got Westvale Abbey's at $4.94 each and now they're pushing $20

They aren't suppose to but when price spikes happen that is suddenly when supply mistakes somehow happen.

Pre-orders should totally be different. There shouldn't be issues with stock. The issue is that you can't cancel your pre-orders if they go way down.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

How do you report vendors? I got a message saying they were going to refund saying they were out of stock, which they haven't done yet. Guessing just sending a message through Customer Support?

Yep. You should message them back letting them know you aren't happy and that you will report them. Their hope is that you simply don't report them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Do the eldrazi from Oath see play in standard? Now that the ban has happened I'm on the look out to pick up pieces for cheap to fiddle with the deck, but If TKS, Reality Smasher and Co. are still seeing play in standard I figure I'll need to wait a little longer.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

jassi007 posted:

Do the eldrazi from Oath see play in standard? Now that the ban has happened I'm on the look out to pick up pieces for cheap to fiddle with the deck, but If TKS, Reality Smasher and Co. are still seeing play in standard I figure I'll need to wait a little longer.

Yes. TKS and Smasher are both good cards on curve, not just accelerated out. Any deck that makes <> can and probably should be running them.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I have a UW Midrange decklist made that includes Always Watching. Ojutai and Tithes are really good with it.

E: Also the list deals with Reality Smasher really well, a card that I think will be a huge problem to deal with in standard.

Always Watching + Ojutai seems disgusting on paper, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about it sooner buuut there's a lot of edict effects that can still poo poo on your day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Yes, the best eldrazi cards are the ones that will be played in standard. They should be getting cheaper considering the modern deck behind them just got wrecked.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

People were starting to build monored and monoblue Eldrazi decks even pre-rotation

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Forgive me if this was already commented on during spoiler season, but...

Does this remind anyone of Emrakul?

I don't see it?

As for the Abbey in the Sword modern deck, I'd advise against it because the point removal is strong in modern.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It does have the latticey thing that some of the Emrakul spawns had going on. On the other hand it's not a 15/15 flyer with Annihilator 6 and Protection from All Colors.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Yes, the best eldrazi cards are the ones that will be played in standard. They should be getting cheaper considering the modern deck behind them just got wrecked.

Honestly there's probably still a decent Eldrazi deck in modern, it just won't be the cosmic horror it was.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It does have the latticey thing that some of the Emrakul spawns had going on. On the other hand it's not a 15/15 flyer with Annihilator 6 and Protection from All Colors.

That, and also the radial structure of the 'head,' and the vaguely tentacley limbs trailing away, is what I meant.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rimusutera posted:

Yes. TKS and Smasher are both good cards on curve, not just accelerated out. Any deck that makes <> can and probably should be running them.

Always Watching + Ojutai seems disgusting on paper, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about it sooner buuut there's a lot of edict effects that can still poo poo on your day.

The deck still goes wide. It plays lots of white/blue 2 and 3 drops and then Archangel of Tithes, Ojutai, and Avacyn as finishers.

E: White is going to be very strong this standard I believe because it has the tools to deal with almost everything that is anticipated as being good.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly there's probably still a decent Eldrazi deck in modern, it just won't be the cosmic horror it was.

I dunno, Swarm Surge, every scion and spawn producer in GB, and Druid's Deliverance is pretty loving fun, and can be pauper with some minor adjustments.

• Locked thread