Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Well, you see, because Solid snake is only a partial clone of big bos... :shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TwoPair posted:

Man the Patriots really hosed up their programming on when the clones would degrade. I mean, I know the timeline is kinda shaky and hard to track (and IIRC MGS5 kinda retcons it a little) but Solid starts rapid-aging in like, his 30s, but Big Boss kept on truckin' being the ~best soldier ever~ into his 50s if Peace Walker onwards are canon

(yes I know the actual reason is because Kojima really doesn't plan his story out ahead of time)

To be fair the whole reason they made the clones degrade is in case they started working against the Patriots

which, well

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Danaru posted:

To be fair the whole reason they made the clones degrade is in case they started working against the Patriots

which, well

Seems kind of pointless given that between them and Ocelot, the villains of that story are drat near omniscient and got all the Snakes work for them somehow whether they like it or not.

Good thing we had the world's smartest seven-year-old to derail it all at the last minute.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Danaru posted:

which, well

Which Big Boss also went against in his later soldierin' days, so there was precedent.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Man the Patriots really hosed up their programming on when the clones would degrade. I mean, I know the timeline is kinda shaky and hard to track (and IIRC MGS5 kinda retcons it a little) but Solid starts rapid-aging in like, his 30s, but Big Boss kept on truckin' being the ~best soldier ever~ into his 50s if Peace Walker onwards are canon

(yes I know the actual reason is because Kojima really doesn't plan his story out ahead of time)
Big Boss looked pretty loving spry and healthy right up until Foxdie took him out in that graveyard.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think I woulda liked it better if they just rehashed naked snake vs boss in that last cutscene, with the veggie zero in the background, so he can watch his bestest buddy and his best science project duke it out one last time, and not know why because he's got super Alzheimer.

Big boss explains everything, yelling at you when you're taking cover on the graves to avoid his patriot gun. Except for the whole philosophers something something, he can throw that in when you pump him full of bullets or something.

I dunno, sounds better than what they actually did.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zereth posted:

Big Boss looked pretty loving spry and healthy right up until Foxdie took him out in that graveyard.

The power of daily Calisthenics.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think I woulda liked it better if they just rehashed naked snake vs boss in that last cutscene, with the veggie zero in the background, so he can watch his bestest buddy and his best science project duke it out one last time, and not know why because he's got super Alzheimer.

Big boss explains everything, yelling at you when you're taking cover on the graves to avoid his patriot gun. Except for the whole philosophers something something, he can throw that in when you pump him full of bullets or something.

That entire graveyard scene was basically just Kojima half-assing a resolution after the dev team wouldn't let him actually kill Snake.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now I'm just imagining a fistfight between Big Boss and Veggie Zero, while Snake watches on in bewilderment.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
And veggie zero is voiced entirely by archive George burns recordings

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Nomad175 posted:

Uh, no, I think you misunderstood; Shadow Moses is the second-to-last stage, Arsenal Gear is the last stage

e:f,b
Sorry I'm just kinda overwhelmed at the incredible bullshit of how far Ocelot can fake poo poo, that dude is like Keyser Soze's loving master grandfather of lies, it's hilarious! I guess I should probably watch Chip's MGS4 LP since I'm never going to be able to play it honestly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Seems kind of pointless given that between them and Ocelot, the villains of that story are drat near omniscient and got all the Snakes work for them somehow whether they like it or not.

Good thing we had the world's smartest seven-year-old to derail it all at the last minute.

Hey man, Snake helped raise that seven year old. He deserves like partial credit. :colbert:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey man, Snake helped raise that seven year old. He deserves like partial credit. :colbert:

Snake was the worst dad. Just... just the worst. I'm pretty sure all of the raising credit goes to Ocelot on this one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kalonZombie posted:

Snake was the worst dad. Just... just the worst. I'm pretty sure all of the raising credit goes to Ocelot on this one.

...do you mean Otacon?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No, definitely Ocelot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

Big Boss was probably a worse dad tbf.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dabir posted:

No, definitely Ocelot.

"Since you were "busy' fighting a war I took my niece to her science fair today, brrrrrrrother."

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Bruceski posted:

...do you mean Otacon?

Dabir posted:

No, definitely Ocelot.

I mean, let's be honest here, Ocelot would probably make a better dad than Snake too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I would have preferred if Big Boss lived and the next game was father and son teaming up together.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If Raiden is Soldius's adoptive son does that make Raiden and Sunny cousins? And if The Boss is the Mother of Big Boss that means that Ocelot is Solid's uncle. Which means that when Big Boss killed the Cobras he was committing fratricide. So many uncles Solid never got to meet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Metal Gear is a series all about bad dads

Big Boss to Eli and Dave
Huey to Otacon
Campbell to Meryl
Solidus to Raiden
Miller's dad bailed out on him and his mom
Ocelot was born on a loving combat zone beach in D-Day because both of his parents thought that was cool

It's lovely dads all the way down, the only good dads are Otacon, Dolph, and Raiden. Maybe Gurlukovich if you consider raising your kid as a mercenary as okay.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hang on, Ocelot was born on D-day, but didn't The Boss get critically wounded from covering her stomach when trying to kill someone who worked on the Manhattan Project? How long was that going for?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Raiden did kind of quit his job and become a fugitive to continue his one man crusade on World Marshal and gave into his inner psychopath to do so last we saw. He's a very loving dad otherwise.

Otacon apparently managed to grow out of his fairly justified issues enough to be a good enough dad that Sunny took his name without managing fall to the same fate that happens to everyone else he gives a drat about.

Fortune's dad seemed okay enough.

That's about it for decent fathers in Metal Gear.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dabir posted:

Hang on, Ocelot was born on D-day, but didn't The Boss get critically wounded from covering her stomach when trying to kill someone who worked on the Manhattan Project? How long was that going for?

The Manhattan Project started in 1942 and officially ended in 1947, though I think most non-pedants consider it ended with the bomb drops in 1945.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Danaru posted:

Metal Gear is a series all about bad dads

Big Boss to Eli and Dave
Huey to Otacon
Campbell to Meryl
Solidus to Raiden
Miller's dad bailed out on him and his mom
Ocelot was born on a loving combat zone beach in D-Day because both of his parents thought that was cool

It's lovely dads all the way down, the only good dads are Otacon, Dolph, and Raiden. Maybe Gurlukovich if you consider raising your kid as a mercenary as okay.

To be fair, they were totally right.

(Also, I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem Fates is competitive with Metal Gear in bad parenting. That game is all bad parenting, all the time.)

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Sokolov and Soviet Johnny are the truest gooddads in the series

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Otacon apparently managed to grow out of his fairly justified issues enough to be a good enough dad that Sunny took his name without managing fall to the same fate that happens to everyone else he gives a drat about.

Reminder there's a MGR codec where Sunny laments "Dddddaaaaadddd why don't you get settle down and get married?????"

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrd5pcPj0ig&t=771s

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 5, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Otacon please find someone who neither plans to kill your friends nor is a family member

Otacon please

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I'm not sure I understand this post right but I didn't think Big Boss was a clone?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I think what TwoPair meant is that if you want to make a copy of a badass 50 year old, you should probably let the copy live at least that long and not start killing them at 30.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They were short-lived to minimise the damage they could do if they went rogue though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squarely Circle posted:

I think what TwoPair meant is that if you want to make a copy of a badass 50 year old, you should probably let the copy live at least that long and not start killing them at 30.

Bingo

Crowetron posted:

That entire graveyard scene was basically just Kojima half-assing a resolution after the dev team wouldn't let him actually kill Snake.

I'm sure that that's it (well, I know that's it, I think there's interviews that say as much, right?), but I've had a theory for a long time that a lot of the graveyard scene existing is because Kojima decided at some point after MGS3 that he did not like the idea of his protagonists being villains, so he had to retroactively make sure Big Boss Did Nothing Wrong, and what better way than to have the man himself come out, comatose Zero in tow, and explain how it was all Zero and those big bad Patriots' fault. You can see this trend continue in the other prequel games as BB is never at fault and just has other evil organizations ruin his day because Zero/Patriots/Government/etc. won't leave him be.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The two main characters and bookends to the Illuminati-esque conspiracy that covered the entire series getting to have closure is a way better ending than Snake just offing himself then roll credits :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Danaru posted:

The two main characters and bookends to the Illuminati-esque conspiracy that covered the entire series getting to have closure is a way better ending than Snake just offing himself then roll credits :colbert:

I agree, but it's also pretty clear it was a late change, and it suffers for that. Suddenly Snake's whole arc is moot, as is the focus of a good fifth of the game's runtime, and it's squandered for a meandering infodump from the man who thought eating glowing mushrooms recharged batteries.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I agree, but it's also pretty clear it was a late change, and it suffers for that. Suddenly Snake's whole arc is moot, as is the focus of a good fifth of the game's runtime, and it's squandered for a meandering infodump from the man who thought eating glowing mushrooms recharged batteries.

To be fair they really do recharge his batteries. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

To be fair they really do recharge his batteries. :v:
I thought they just seemed to but didn't actually do so? If you check again shortly afterwards they're back down to where they should be.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zereth posted:

I thought they just seemed to but didn't actually do so? If you check again shortly afterwards they're back down to where they should be.

As a chronic motion detector abuser, they definitely charge your batteries for real

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Danaru posted:

As a chronic motion detector abuser, they definitely charge your batteries for real
Okay so now the question becomes:

Is this actually a property of the mushrooms, or is Big Boss so dumb it works anyway?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Danaru posted:

Thing is "Snake commits suicide" wasn't the intended ending either, the original plan was Snake and Otacon are executed via firing squad for ruining the world, presumably because the whole "Sunny fixes the anti-Patriot virus" was also shoe-horned in. So basically "Snake saves the world from the Illuminati and dies with everyone viewing him a villain". That's why "Here's To You" is featured in the credits since it draws parallels to that song.
Which means the original narrative was Naomi once again fucks over Otacon/Snake proving once and for all she is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure that that's it (well, I know that's it, I think there's interviews that say as much, right?), but I've had a theory for a long time that a lot of the graveyard scene existing is because Kojima decided at some point after MGS3 that he did not like the idea of his protagonists being villains, so he had to retroactively make sure Big Boss Did Nothing Wrong, and what better way than to have the man himself come out, comatose Zero in tow, and explain how it was all Zero and those big bad Patriots' fault. You can see this trend continue in the other prequel games as BB is never at fault and just has other evil organizations ruin his day because Zero/Patriots/Government/etc. won't leave him be.

Granted, it's a mess, but Big Boss is still unquestionably a Bad Guy. Even ignoring the events of Metal Gear 1 & 2, the endings of both Peace Walker and Phantom Pain both go way outta their way to remind you that Big Boss is a hosed up dude who makes hosed up decisions. The thing is, so is Zero. Really, the whole thrust of that scene is that The Boss had an idealistic vision that was filtered through the minds of the two most cynical men in the world, which results in a war-torn global hellscape. It's a very simple kernel of tragic irony that gets muddied by poor presentation and Kojima's overly wordy writing ticks. Big Boss was as much to blame for the evils committed after Snake Eater as Zero and his "victory" over a man who is, for all intents and purposes, dead is a gesture that cuts past all his grandiose speech to reveal he is still just a petty rear end in a top hat after all.

As stupid as that reveal is, it has a good idea at its core. It could so easily be fantastic, and one of the major problems is, you're right, the scene is not as harsh on Big Boss as it feels like it should be. But it certain doesn't paint him as a victim.

The endgame of MGSV has huge problems, but the actual end basically the exact opposite of the "Back to Zero" scene and I really like it.

• Locked thread