Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Sweet charter school plug there ya doofus. Go back to curling 20lb weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Well that was...incoherent

"People don't like Republicans because our solution to everything is cutting taxes for the rich. We need to be the champions of the family and the working class and really address the poverty in our country with human, organic solutions. For example, instead of helping the poor with soulless dependency-causing welfare, we could cut taxes on the rich. Instead of dull mechanical factory schooling, we could cut taxes on the rich."

Don't forget getting people to marry. If we can just get people into two-parent households, poverty will magically resolve itself.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

"People don't like Republicans because our solution to everything is cutting taxes for the rich. We need to be the champions of the family and the working class and really address the poverty in our country with human, organic solutions. For example, instead of helping the poor with soulless dependency-causing welfare, we could cut taxes on the rich. Instead of dull mechanical factory schooling, we could cut taxes on the rich."

Thank you. That was what I was going to post. What a massive amount of words to say a whole lot of bullshit.

Also: reading the UK politics thread is incredibly depressing because of how badly the Tories are loving everything. What was especially vivid were the disabled people on the verge of suicide because their benefits are being cut and they can't work so they face homelessness :stonk: If the GOP becomes more like the Tories it would only add to the current dumpster fire.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

The particularly stupid bit is that the UK programs he's saying the Republicans should imitate were heavily inspired by the broken systems the Republicans already implemented. They even pulled notable shitstain Lawrence Mead in to advise Downing Street about how to sell workfare to the masses.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Cactus posted:

Let's copy the Tories! in which Paul Ryan suggests

You threw me for a second there. The author of the piece is Steve Hilton, not Paul Ryan, but I chuckled at the idea that Ryan would quote himself in the third person and call himself a "white knight" in his own editorial.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FetusSlapper posted:

Why is the dwarf wheat guy Hitler? :confused:

:supaburn: Transgenics :supaburn:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Cactus posted:

...Crowdpac (a tech startup focusing on U.S. politics)...
This particular series of words made me feel physically uncomfortable and a little bit nauseous.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If they really wanted to copy the Tories they'd need a leader who's hosed a dead pig and, let's face it, Trump probably has.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

If they really wanted to copy the Tories they'd need a leader who's hosed a dead pig and, let's face it, Trump probably has.

Probably? He hosed a dead pig clear up through like February.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Probably? He hosed a dead pig clear up through like February.

Enough about Jeb!.

:negative:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 5, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DemeaninDemon posted:

Enough about Jeb!.

:thejoke:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
American politics is a Two Tory system - it is being made pretty clear that labor rhetoric and ideas are not desired by either party's leadership.

The choice you get is pre or post Thatcher.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Inferior Third Season posted:

This particular series of words made me feel physically uncomfortable and a little bit nauseous.

A "tech startup focusing on U.S. politics" is a horrifying phrase. I imagine it being chanted by men in black robes before a bubbling cauldron.

quote:

It would force real, market-based competition into every sector: not just the banks but the airlines, the insurance companies, the telecom providers, the agriculture and food industry, the education system, yes even the political system by moving from corrupt funding to crowdfunding.

Hmmm yes "Kickstarter but for government" seems like a great solution I wonder if there is some tech-minded individual making this happen?

quote:

Critics will say: “That’s all very well, but once in office, the Conservatives adopted an unnecessarily harsh austerity program that undermines all this modernization.” That certainly seems to be the perception in the UK today. But my home has been in America for four years now and my focus is on the future direction of this country.

Yeah right-wing policies in the UK haven't actually stuck to my central premise here, but I don't actually want to talk about that. I'm sure it will work in the US!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Fiscally conservative/socially liberal is code for "I don't care enough about politics to make a decision."

When I was fourteen or fifteen I called myself fiscally conservative and socially liberal. That was because I did not understand social theory and economics and also because I wanted to appear educated with a "best of both worlds" mentality that I only later learned was wrong.

I might also have been doing that because I went to a hyperconservative Catholic high school at the time and wanted to fit in (I didn't).

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

there wolf posted:

Don't forget getting people to marry. If we can just get people into two-parent households, poverty will magically resolve itself.

Broken families are a large contributing factor to poverty. It's a good thing to encourage loving, two parent households and if there are conservatives out there who are ready to accept gay and lesbian couples under that concept, I welcome it. It doesn't hurt you or your party to admit when the opposition does something right, even if it took them near forever to get there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al Hoffman donated $1 million to R2R lol

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Kanine posted:

being "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" doesn't make sense to me because it seems like economics and social issues are entangled to the point where you can't make a statement about one without making implications about the other.

From dealing professionally with a lot of folks who use that term, it mostly reflects FYGM. Like, a straight-forward "As long as I/my family are paying as little in taxes as possible and the services I/we use are functioning, nothing else matters". I wouldn't call it racism or the like, simply because they don't give a poo poo about who the other guy is - all government spending that doesn't directly benefit them is superfluous and should be eliminated. Which is also the socially liberal part, because why care if the other guy also marries a guy? Caring implies that they matter.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Talmonis posted:

Broken families are a large contributing factor to poverty. It's a good thing to encourage loving, two parent households and if there are conservatives out there who are ready to accept gay and lesbian couples under that concept, I welcome it. It doesn't hurt you or your party to admit when the opposition does something right, even if it took them near forever to get there.

Or do families become broken because of poverty? Makes you think, huh.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

To go back to that Taibbi thing for a second, is it just me or is this graf spectacularly dumb?

quote:

How the man who in 2010 said “Hey, assholes: you do not work for the people you’re covering! Jesus, is this concept that loving hard?” became the guy who in 2014 said “I can’t, I can’t, I can’t talk about [Pierre Omidyar] unfortunately… No matter what my feelings toward First Look Media, I don’t think it’s appropriate to talk about my former employers.”

It seems like the author completely misread Taibbi's first quote from 2010, because otherwise the way he presents the two statements as contradictory doesn't make any sense.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Kro-Bar posted:

Nah, probably the other way around.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

For people who are wondering how schools can be so bad for black students, here's one perfect example. Pinellas County is one of the richest in the state of Florida. Nearly all of St. Peterburg's black population live in a 12-square-mile area that was originally designated as The Black Neighborhood 80 years ago. It's square in the middle of poverty indicators for black populations in Florida but its elementary schools are five of the worst in the state. Why is that? Pinellas County schools were desegregated in 1971 and they introduced forced integration, busing students around so no school would be more than 30% black. It worked and black students were steadily improving. With the poorer students spread out across all the schools in the city, they could be assisted more effectively.

And then whoops! The school board voted in 2007 to institute a policy of neighborhood schools. And when the entire black population lives in one area... that's segregation. Other counties in Florida set up magnet schools in poor neighborhoods to encourage more affluent parents to send their children there or set up after-school programs or clubs or anything to attract students... they did none of these things. Now you have schools that are 95% white and 95% black again.

quote:

On the day of the vote, the five neighborhood elementary schools in south St. Petersburg were relatively diverse. None was more than 63 percent black.

Fairmount Park had an A in Florida’s statewide ranking system. More than half the students in the school were reading at grade level. Fifty-nine percent were proficient in math.

Campbell Park and Lakewood each were B schools that year. Maximo and Melrose had Cs.

But the effects of giving up on integration were immediate.

In less than a year, schools on St. Petersburg’s north side became whiter, and the neighborhood schools to the south began drawing primarily from the city’s blighted avenues and subsidized housing complexes.

Before, the area’s most disadvantaged children, including the relatively few with serious behavior problems, were spread among a large area, mixed in with more affluent classmates and given access to several schools’ worth of teachers and counselors. Now they were all concentrated in a handful of schools.

The new system left Fairmount Park, along with the other neighborhood elementary schools, utterly transformed.

Housed at Fifth Avenue South and 41st Street S, the one-time A school is now the second-worst in Florida.

These schools have the least-experienced teachers, the most problematic students, and the lowest funding in the county. The school board blames black parents in that drat South St. Pete. Demographic data shows black families are no worse off than those in any other city and yet they have the worst schools in the state.

At least something's finally coming of this: the Department of Education is investigating the school district for racial discrimination.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kro-Bar posted:

Poverty certainly puts a lot of strain on a family, but a single parent has a much harder time coping with that same strain.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Crossposting from the Trump thread. I'm definitely not an expert, so if anyone sees where I'm wrong here let me know.

For those interested, I decided to reality check the narrative that a brokered Republican Convention is ‘likely.’ All data/polls and primary/caucus rules are lifted from RealClearPolitics.

Trump has 737 delegates; he needs 1237 to clinch the nomination. There are 17 states/territories with remaining delegates to distribute, excluding Colorado, Wyoming, Guam, American Samoa, and North Dakota, whose unbound delegates are free to select the candidate of their choice at the convention. In the service of taking a conservative approach, I’ll allocate 0 of these delegates to Trump, other than the one each who’ve committed to him in Wyoming and American Samoa.

Wisconsin (April 5): An open, winner-take-all primary state awarding 42 delegates including congressional district delegates
Recent Polls Average: Cruz +4.7
Analysis: Assume that most recent ARG poll showing Trump +10 is an outlier, and Cruz takes 18 at-large delegates with a statewide win. Trump often outperforms polling in open states, and polling is close enough that it’s likely Trump takes at least one congressional district, worth 3 delegates.
Estimated Trump Haul: 3

New York (April 19): A closed, proportional (with floor and ceiling) primary state awarding 95 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polls Average: Trump +32.0
Analysis: With trump at or over the 50% WTA threshold in all recent polls, and both Cruz and Kasich threatening to drop below the delegate threshold of 20%, it’s likely trump takes nearly every delegate available.
Estimated Trump Haul: 90

Connecticut (April 26): A closed, proportional (with floor and ceiling) primary state awarding 28 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polls Average: Trump +18.0
Analysis: This lead existed back when there were more than 10 candidates remaining in the race, with Trump polling at nearly 3x higher than second place Ben Carson, who has since endorsed him. Barring a major opinion shift, it’s hard to see how Trump doesn’t take every delegate here via the 50% ceiling rule.
Estimated Trump Haul: 28

Delaware (April 26): A closed, WTA primary state awarding 16 delegates.
Recent Polls Average: n/a
Analysis: Even without polling, it’s hard to see how Trump doesn’t sweep a true WTA primary in the north east.
Estimated Trump Haul: 16

Maryland (April 26): a closed, WTA primary state awarding 38 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polls Average: only one recent poll; shows Trump +9
Analysis: Barring a near double-digit upset, Trump is likely to carry all delegates here.
Estimated Trump Haul: 38

Pennsylvania (April 26): a closed, WTA primary state awarding 71 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polls Average: Trump +16.7
Analysis: Directly elected congressional district delegates are somewhat of an x-factor here, but it’s still safe to assume, even conservatively, that Trump takes the large majority of delegates.
Estimated Trump Haul: 50

Rhode Island (April 26): An open, proportional primary state awarding 19 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polls Average: only recent poll shows Trump +18
Analysis: Polling at 43% before Rubio dropped out, Trump should top 50% here. Due to the strange congressional delegate rules, he will likely only get one from each district, but should take at least 7 of the 13 at-large delegates.
Estimated Trump Haul: 9

Indiana (May 3): An open, WTA primary state awarding 57 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polls Average: no recent polls; last in december showed trump leading larger group of candidates.
Analysis: Hard to gauge without polling data, but unless Cruz or Kasich has made major inroads here, it’s likely the entire pot goes to Trump, especially with the open primary advantage.
Estimated Trump Haul: 57

Nebraska (May 10): A closed, WTA primary state awarding 36 delegates.
Analysis: With no information here, and a strict WTA format, let’s assume for the sake of a conservative estimate that all delegates go to Cruz.
Estimated Trump Haul: 0

West Virginia (May 10): An open, direct-election primary state awarding 34 delegates.
Recent Polls Average: one recent poll; shows Trump +20
Analysis: With a strange direct-election format, it seems fair to assume proportionality. Since Carson and Rubio have dropped out since this poll, I’ll bump Trump from 40% to 50% of the delegates.
Estimated Trump Haul: 17

Oregon (May 17): A closed, proportional primary state awarding 28 delegates.
Recent Polling Average: n/a
Analysis: With no information and a strict proportional distribution here, it’s still very fair to the other candidates to divide this primary 3 ways.
Estimated Trump Haul: 9

Washington (May 24): A closed, proportional primary state awarding 44 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polling Average: n/a
Analysis: See Oregon, minus the strict proportionality, and with the added caveat that if one of the candidates doesn’t meet the 20% delegate threshold, it won’t be trump. Here, ⅓ of the delegates is an almost certain lowball, but it’s hard to construct a well-reasoned prediction.
Estimated Trump Haul: 15

California (June 7): A closed, WTA primary state awarding 172 delegates including congressional district delegates.
Recent Polls Average: Trump +8.2
Analysis: With Trump leading in every recent poll and by almost double digits on average, he should win the great majority of the delegates in a WTA state, despite perhaps losing certain congressional district delegates.
Estimated Trump Haul: 150

Montana (June 7): An open, WTA primary state awarding 27 delegates.
Analysis: With no information here, and a strict WTA format, let’s assume for the sake of a conservative estimate that all delegates go to Cruz.

New Jersey (June 7): An open, WTA primary state awarding 51 delegates.
Recent Polls Average: Trump +18.6
Analysis: These polls were taken when Rubio and Carson remained in the race, and have Trump’s remaining opponents in distant 4th and 5th place. Trump will win all delegates in the strict WTA format here.
Estimated Trump Haul: 51

New Mexico (June 7): A closed, proportional primary state awarding 24 delegates.
Recent Polls Average: one recent poll; shows Cruz +1
Analysis: This poll was taken during the 5-candidate-field period, but we’ll assume for conservative purposes that trump maintains his 24% vote share.
Estimated Trump Haul: 6

South Dakota (June 7): A closed, WTA primary state awarding 29 delegates.

Estimated Trump Total: 1276

This is by no means a guarantee for Trump, but it demonstrates that he can meet and exceed the threshold even in a fairly conservative analysis if poll numbers hold. It also debunks the notion that a Trump loss in Wisconsin renders a brokered convention the most likely outcome. Simply put, for Trump to fail to secure the nomination through traditional means, his popularity will have to fall below its most recently recorded levels. This, of course, assumes Kasich keeps his promise to stay in the race to the convention; his departure would be a major x-factor, but it’s hard to say whom it would benefit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A total Trump loss means he needs 59% of recent delegates to reach 1237, and a total win means he needs 54%. Today is not decisive at all.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Glass Hand posted:

You threw me for a second there. The author of the piece is Steve Hilton, not Paul Ryan, but I chuckled at the idea that Ryan would quote himself in the third person and call himself a "white knight" in his own editorial.

Oops my bad. I thought the whole article was a write up or a paraphrasing of a Ryan speech or manifesto of some kind.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Luigi Thirty posted:

For people who are wondering how schools can be so bad for black students, here's one perfect example. Pinellas County is one of the richest in the state of Florida. Nearly all of St. Peterburg's black population live in a 12-square-mile area that was originally designated as The Black Neighborhood 80 years ago. It's square in the middle of poverty indicators for black populations in Florida but its elementary schools are five of the worst in the state. Why is that? Pinellas County schools were desegregated in 1971 and they introduced forced integration, busing students around so no school would be more than 30% black. It worked and black students were steadily improving. With the poorer students spread out across all the schools in the city, they could be assisted more effectively.

And then whoops! The school board voted in 2007 to institute a policy of neighborhood schools. And when the entire black population lives in one area... that's segregation. Other counties in Florida set up magnet schools in poor neighborhoods to encourage more affluent parents to send their children there or set up after-school programs or clubs or anything to attract students... they did none of these things. Now you have schools that are 95% white and 95% black again.

These schools have the least-experienced teachers, the most problematic students, and the lowest funding in the county. The school board blames black parents in that drat South St. Pete. Demographic data shows black families are no worse off than those in any other city and yet they have the worst schools in the state.

At least something's finally coming of this: the Department of Education is investigating the school district for racial discrimination.

I don't think anyone wants to try busing again. There were full blown race riots in some of the most "progressive" areas of the country. Having your child sent to the worst school in the state to meet a diversity quota just doesn't sit well with people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
An indictment came down yesterday for a Bush appointed judge to the US Tax court for $400,000 in tax evasion. She and her hubby are likely going to spend some jail time on this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2016/04/04/former-u-s-tax-court-judge-kroupa-indicted-for-tax-evasion-conspiracy-obstruction/

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Is each school in the county receiving an equal percentage of the education funding? Would it be possible to take the money that'd be used for busing and just spend it on higher staff wages in those underperforming schools to attract better teachers or fill in whatever talent gaps that are causing this problem?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Volcott posted:

I don't think anyone wants to try busing again. There were full blown race riots in some of the most "progressive" areas of the country. Having your child sent to the worst school in the state to meet a diversity quota just doesn't sit well with people.

Gives people a reason to unfuck a school you doofus.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Is each school in the county receiving an equal percentage of the education funding? Would it be possible to take the money that'd be used for busing and just spend it on higher staff wages in those underperforming schools to attract better teachers or fill in whatever talent gaps that are causing this problem?

No. These schools receive considerably less funding than the white schools shockingly enough.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Volcott posted:

Except it is the only thing that is fully proven to improve education. If white people would stop being such racist shits about it, we could do great things. Check out the This American Life 2-parter, The Problem We All Live With.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

(If you buy a Nice House in a Nice Neighborhood with Nice Schools, and pay a fuckton in taxes as a result, I can't blame you for being salty when the state decides your child should be going to a school 45 minutes away with metal detectors at every entrance.)

Volcott fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 5, 2016

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

DemeaninDemon posted:

This American Life did an amazing segment on integrating schools. The moral is that it's better for literally every student if they go to an integrated school, but white parents are just super into telling black children to their face that they're garbage.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Boston isn't really a bastion of racial progress.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

DemeaninDemon posted:

I don't think he had doubts of its intended purpose, merely noting the obvious lack of any political will to basically end your career in one sentence over it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It seems like so much of this country's problems, both social and economic, stem from white people terrified their kids will associate with black people.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

That being said, please do not stab a guy with a flag pole. It's incredibly rude.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Volcott posted:

That being said, please do not stab a guy with a flag pole. It's incredibly rude.

Thankfully he was only going to bash him with it, not stab him! Progress!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

It seems like so much of this country's problems, both social and economic, stem from white people terrified their kids will associate with black people.

This is why I brought out the doofus comment. Can't be scared to step outside the loaf of white bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Volcott posted:

Hefty symbolism, though.

• Locked thread