Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

ChickenMedium posted:

That's one of my favorite things about Netflix. Things pop up in "Recommended for You" with a predicted rating of a star and a half. "You should totally watch this movie, you'll hate it!"

The algorithm knows that what you rate highly and what you usually watch are very, very different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

King of Bleh posted:

1-2 stars, as they deserve; I'm saying there's a difference between what people want, and what they like.

Seems like Netflix knows ur lying to yourself

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ChickenMedium posted:

That's one of my favorite things about Netflix. Things pop up in "Recommended for You" with a predicted rating of a star and a half. "You should totally watch this movie, you'll hate it!"
I still fondly recall how it decided that I had a strong interest in gay/lesbian dramas after I watched and rated a string of films about british boarding schools and a few prison dramas such as NEDS, Midnight Express, and Bad Boys (the Sean Penn film where he nearly kills a kid with a pillowcase full of coke cans).

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

User-Friendly posted:

The algorithm knows that what you rate highly and what you usually watch are very, very different things.

Yeah, the last movies I can remember 5 starring were Samsara, Sunset Boulevard and The Act of Killing, but most days I use Netflix to watch 30 Rock reruns and the shittiest horror movies I can find. The recommendations are usually decent based on the movies you're looking at.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NESguerilla posted:

Been making my way through the good eats collection. Man I love Alton Brown. He's so much better than most tv food personalities.

I like Broke Eats better.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

The Phantom seems like a perfect movie to put on when you have friends or family over and want something you can kind of pay attention to while you mostly talk over it.

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Is ET the lovely version where they cut out penis breath and gave the cops walkie talkies?

Happy to report that it is the original version!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Grey Gardens is extremely :stare: :staredog: :stonk:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

It is an insane movie. I watched it with two friends, none of us had seen it. It is full of cringe-worthy moments and is endlessly quoteable.

Then immediately after we watched Documentary Now's parody, which was perfect. Bill Hader nails the role of Little Edie.

I also found out that a ton of people I know have seen it, somehow. Unlike The Thin Blue Line or Grizzly Man, which I assumed everyone has seen (and no one has).

Also: it's well known that imdb's message boards are terrible, but it's strange to see their threads discuss Grey Gardens. One person asked what psychological issues the Edies suffer, and everyone on the message boards denied that there is any indication of mental illness at all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

It's also worth watching The Beales of Grey Gardens, also on Hulu. It's just another movie in the same style using cut footage from the film, and there's a great scene where the house starts on fire.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

User-Friendly posted:

Netflix actually admitted this to be true in a Wired article.

"Wired posted:

Why do I see so many three- or even two-star movies in my recommendations?

Gomez-Uribe: People rate movies like Schindler’s List high, as opposed to one of the silly comedies I watch, like Hot Tub Time Machine. If you give users recommendations that are all four- or five-star videos, that doesn’t mean they’ll actually want to watch that video on a Wednesday night after a long day at work. Viewing behavior is the most important data we have.

Amatriain: We know that many of the ratings are aspirational rather than reflecting your daily activity.

I feel like this is also a major secret reason that Pandora never really caught on as a music service. People don't like a computer algorithm to randomly play Phil Collins music, because you told all your friends that Phil Collins sucks, despite the fact that your music preferences clearly indicate you should like it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

An invisible "make me look good because I have friends / a date over" mode would be incredible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

An invisible "make me look good because I have friends / a date over" mode would be incredible.

In my case, could be accomplished with a simple "hide Anime" button :v:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

kuddles posted:

I feel like this is also a major secret reason that Pandora never really caught on as a music service. People don't like a computer algorithm to randomly play Phil Collins music, because you told all your friends that Phil Collins sucks, despite the fact that your music preferences clearly indicate you should like it.

Frankly, I feel that all computer algorithms should be pushing us to listen to more Phil Collins. He's a triple threat!

But I get it. The star rating system just doesn't work for me because I rate stuff either one star or five stars. But sometimes, you do come across stuff you wouldn't have found before.

However, I tend not to rate most of what o watch, so I wonder how that hurts matters.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just memorize the phrase "I thumbed up a bunch of early Genesis, so now it thinks I like Phil Collins" for that situation.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ChickenMedium posted:

Just memorize the phrase "I thumbed up a bunch of early Genesis, so now it thinks I like Phil Collins" for that situation.

As Ronald Reagan said, if you're explaining, you're losing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just watched Entertainment not knowing a whole lot about Neil Hamburger, and left still not knowing a lot about Neil Hamburger.

But holy poo poo, what a loving experience :stare:

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I watched Entertainment as well, and I'm a fan of Hamburger/Turkington's work, but I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It really feels like a movie that's more about setting a tone and conveying an emotional atmosphere that I'm not sure I got entirely, but it did leave me feeling really sort of lonely and desolate and like I need to watch something way lighter immediately.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phetz posted:

I watched Entertainment as well, and I'm a fan of Hamburger/Turkington's work, but I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It really feels like a movie that's more about setting a tone and conveying an emotional atmosphere that I'm not sure I got entirely, but it did leave me feeling really sort of lonely and desolate and like I need to watch something way lighter immediately.

Did you see The Comedy?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Happy Valley season 2 was a letdown. The protagonist is still cool, but what I liked about the first season was that a)we could follow the central crime and its investigation unfolding contemporaneously and without obfuscation and b)the central crime and its perpetrators were believable. Neither of these virtues are present in the second season.

Hopefully Hinterland season 2 will buck the trend that Broadchurch and Happy Valley are setting this year, I love me some British prestige crime dramas

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Did you see The Comedy?

Yeah, a while back, and I really enjoyed it. I need to re-watch it but I think the big difference between it and Entertainment for me was that while The Comedy left me feeling a little hope for Heidecker's character, Entertainment left me thinking that things were just going to continue on the same lonely, misanthropic trajectory for Turkington's character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's an interesting read on The Comedy.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Filthy Hans posted:

Happy Valley season 2 was a letdown. The protagonist is still cool, but what I liked about the first season was that a)we could follow the central crime and its investigation unfolding contemporaneously and without obfuscation and b)the central crime and its perpetrators were believable. Neither of these virtues are present in the second season.

Hopefully Hinterland season 2 will buck the trend that Broadchurch and Happy Valley are setting this year, I love me some British prestige crime dramas

I thought Happy Valley 2 (and Broadchurch 2, for that matter) would've been better had they just started totally fresh and not picked up the old storylines. It especially felt largely tacked on in the case of Happy Valley. It was like they were revisiting things that didn't really need it, and that seemed well enough resolved previously.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

alansmithee posted:

I thought Happy Valley 2 (and Broadchurch 2, for that matter) would've been better had they just started totally fresh and not picked up the old storylines. It especially felt largely tacked on in the case of Happy Valley. It was like they were revisiting things that didn't really need it, and that seemed well enough resolved previously.

Agreed. I did like how Happy Valley maintained the close bond between the protagonist and the kidnapped girl's family but they could have included that without the unhinged-woman-as-former-antagonist's-catpaw storyline.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Phetz posted:

Yeah, a while back, and I really enjoyed it. I need to re-watch it but I think the big difference between it and Entertainment for me was that while The Comedy left me feeling a little hope for Heidecker's character, Entertainment left me thinking that things were just going to continue on the same lonely, misanthropic trajectory for Turkington's character.

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion regarding the Comedy. I don't recall any indication that Heideckers character is going to change. That's the point

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion regarding the Comedy. I don't recall any indication that Heideckers character is going to change. That's the point

Like I said it's been a while since I've seen it, but I seem to remember a few moments here and there where we see cracks in his ironically detached shell and he at least starts to express some desire to stop being so dead inside. The biggest example I can think of is when he frolics with a child in the ocean and actually seems to have a genuinely good time at the end of the film.

I really want to give it a rewatch now so I can compare it to Entertainment. My gut reaction is that by the end of The Comedy it seemed like things had a non-zero chance of getting better (less bad?) for Heidecker's character, whereas in Entertainment it seemed like things were certain to go downhill for Turkington's character.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

alansmithee posted:

I hadn't watched Happy Valley yet, I may give it a shot.

As an American, I didn't really get to watch The Fall until it showed up on Netflix. It was decent. It seems like every character (police, bad guy, and otherwise) always makes the worst, ego driven decision whenever presented the opportunity though. Regardless, I'm holding out that Season 3 is decent when it finally hits Netflix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phetz posted:

Like I said it's been a while since I've seen it, but I seem to remember a few moments here and there where we see cracks in his ironically detached shell and he at least starts to express some desire to stop being so dead inside. The biggest example I can think of is when he frolics with a child in the ocean and actually seems to have a genuinely good time at the end of the film.

I really want to give it a rewatch now so I can compare it to Entertainment. My gut reaction is that by the end of The Comedy it seemed like things had a non-zero chance of getting better (less bad?) for Heidecker's character, whereas in Entertainment it seemed like things were certain to go downhill for Turkington's character.

See I always thought the exact opposite. The guy has no chance of a genuine connection with anyone, even his identifying with a toddler is an act. Like everyone else he performs for, the kid is a total stranger.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

See I always thought the exact opposite. The guy has no chance of a genuine connection with anyone, even his identifying with a toddler is an act. Like everyone else he performs for, the kid is a total stranger.

I thought it was genuine, but also kind of telling; when his armor cracks and we look inside, all we find is an unformed child. He's trudging into middle age totally undeveloped with no positive support system or environment based reason to grow; the cards are so stacked against him becoming anything whatsoever. His misery- and the annoyance of those he runs into- is guaranteed until he or the rest of us die.

By comparison Gregg's character could get a break, or use his basic skills as an adult man to get a lovely job close to his family. Entertainment seemed more like it was trying to communicate the feeling of isolation and hateful misery being a working comic on the road can intensify in a person already predisposed (by definition anyone who takes up comedy as a profession) until they're overwhelmed by it, whereas The Comedy was more about the character as a product of a lifetime of complete and utter dissolution. The latter is so hopeless, almost... uh, comically so.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I liked how in Entertainment, the Neil Hamburger persona just deteriorates more and more as Greg himself starts to lose it. And yet Greg himself seems totally unfazed, he seems to be exactly the same at the end of the film as he was at the start. It's only when he's playing Neil Hamburger that he can even express the emotions inside of him.

I liked the contrast shown between Greg's approach to comedy and that of his colleagues. Like the clown is really nice offstage but when onstage he seems to mock the very idea of performance, he's deliberately boring and standoffish and almost confrontationally bland. He doesn't really put any of himself into his onstage persona, it's literally just a job for him. The guy who opens for Greg at the restaurant is just himself onstage, giving the same delivery and telling the same anecdotes offstage that he does onstage. Greg puts all of his hangups, frustrations and insecurities into his alter ego and lets them run wild onstage, which comes back to bite him later when he just has too much bottled up to let out all at once.

Also yeah, I agree with mysterious frankie that Greg seems like he could still be a fully-functioning adult, it's just that his onstage persona is his only outlet to express himself. The punchline is that that persona happens to be someone horribly, deliberately repellent like Neil Hamburger.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That seems really appropriate as it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Gregg Turkington guy was Neil Hamburger.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Entertainment but I will say that the scene at the end where Hamburger awkwardly burst out of a cake and falls into a pool while sobbing uncontrollably might be one of the best moments in a comedy ever.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Man the new season of anthony bourdain is pretty lame, even by parts unknown standards. Anthony really needs to learn how to discuss or interview something beyond a surface level

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I watched The Mummy movies a million times as a kid and I watched The Mummy last night and it still owns, just so you all know.

It's too bad they wasted their time making a lovely Scorpion King spinoff franchise and that terrible Chinese mummy one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

gently caress. I hope dearly that it is him or else he has a serious stalker.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Proposition Joe posted:

I watched The Mummy movies a million times as a kid and I watched The Mummy last night and it still owns, just so you all know.

Anyone who watches this movie should make sure to crank the sound up really loud. It was a pretty amazing theatre experience because of the sound.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Anyone who watches this movie should make sure to crank the sound up really loud. It was a pretty amazing theatre experience because of the sound.

I associate it with a great soundtrack because it was the first DVD I bought for our first DVD player and sound system. I freakin loved that movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Mummy definitely wasn't a good movie, but it was a great fun movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just watched the mummy last night. And goddamn the CGI in that movie did not age well. But it's still very funny looking. Also there's a lot of killing in this movie. Like people are getting gunned down constantly.