Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I need a phone where I can customize the desktop to display a counter indicating the number of time I've had sex. iPhone just doesn't offer that level of customization.

Also fan speed and memory usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

cowofwar posted:

I need a phone where I can customize the desktop to display a counter indicating the number of time I've had sex. iPhone just doesn't offer that level of customization.

Also fan speed and memory usage.

You need to jailbreak. Jailbreaking is like the anal of phone-having.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Android phones come with more clocks than sexual partners.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

cowofwar posted:

There's a log/graph in the Health app.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I've found the limits of move to iOS: about 1.5GB of text messages amassed over 4 years on a single never wiped phone.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
With AppleCare plus is there a certain amount of scratches on the screen before Apple will replace the screen or can you just ask to have it replaced?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
AppleCare does not cover scratches. You can ask and they will say no.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How are you scratching the glass on these things? Honest question. I've had a 3/4/5/SE and have never seen scratches on the glass.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

VelociBacon posted:

How are you scratching the glass on these things? Honest question. I've had a 3/4/5/SE and have never seen scratches on the glass.

The only time I've ever scratched my screen since the 3G was once with my 6S. I got drunk and blacked out. I woke up and turns out my screen was all hosed up.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

incoherent posted:

I've found the limits of move to iOS: about 1.5GB of text messages amassed over 4 years on a single never wiped phone.

Hmm. That's unfortunate because that's not a limit of actual iOS.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The only time I've scratched an iPhone screen it was when I dropped my old 4s face-down on gravel.

I shattered the screen on my 5s last year, but never had scratching issues.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sand in an Olloclip or similar will do the trick.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Hmm. That's unfortunate because that's not a limit of actual iOS.

Hour 5: Still importing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a loooot of sms'. Back in the iPhone 4S or 5 era I realised that my hoarding of every sms since 2008 was causing the drat app to take forever to load and cleaned house. It felt good. It's kinda cool to know that that is the only thing that essentially stops me having a bank notification from 8 years ago on my phone though.

My first cell phone held 5 text messages before filling it's memory. I'm guessing some people here's first phones didn't even do sms.

elitotaco
Apr 25, 2003

incoherent posted:

Hour 5: Still importing

If you're doing an iCloud restore, you can restart the phone and it will continue where it left off. It can hang up sometimes. I've successfully restored a 106GB backup before (it just took 9 days).

I accidentally hit "optimize photos" for iCloud Photo Library, so it cleared up ~15gb of space

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

9 days to restore a backup!? drat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

td4guy posted:

9 days to restore a backup!? drat.

When I got my 6s+, I had the option of restoring a backup from my 5s. It was taking so long that I just set the phone up as new.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you back up to iTunes then restore from iTunes it's way quicker.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I always do a backup to iTunes then setup as a new phone.

All my poo poo is in my iCloud account anyway

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

elitotaco posted:

If you're doing an iCloud restore, you can restart the phone and it will continue where it left off. It can hang up sometimes. I've successfully restored a 106GB backup before (it just took 9 days).

I accidentally hit "optimize photos" for iCloud Photo Library, so it cleared up ~15gb of space

Look at that message allocation!

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

wow look who has friends

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Or a weird Mom that sends 4k cat videos.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I’ve come to realize only crazy people set their imessage keep history option to longer than 1 year.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I honestly didn't even realize that was an option until now. I just checked and it's on Forever. I swear I'm not crazy. :ohdear: But it's only at 4.9GB which I'm kind of surprised to see. I'll probably change it to 1 year if/when it becomes a problem, I guess?

Also what do you guys usually say when people notice your naked iPhone and say, "Oh wow no case wow you're brave!" My usual response ranges from "Yeah I just kinda don't drop it." to "Yeah, the best protection is to just not drop it like an idiot" depending on how much of a jerk I am at the moment. I just don't get spending hundreds on a beautiful phone and then covering it up with a 3 dollar crappy plastic case that still doesn't guarantee not cracking your screen on a screen down drop. Not to mention all the scratches on the back of the phone because people never clean out the dust/sand/etc that gets in there.

Oh man and when you see someone with the big fat cases and the super soft screen protectors with tons of bubbles and dust under it almost peeling off.

I know, I'm spergin'. I shouldn't let this stuff get to me.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

elitotaco posted:

If you're doing an iButt restore, you can restart the phone and it will continue where it left off. It can hang up sometimes. I've successfully restored a 106GB backup before (it just took 9 days).

I accidentally hit "optimize photos" for iButt Photo Library, so it cleared up ~15gb of space

I said F this to see how far it's done in the migration process by setting it up as a new phone....

It only imported up to 5/2014. updating, formatting, and doing the import _again_. (Also i'm importing from android if I wasn't clear enough, sorry!)

incoherent fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 5, 2016

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

yamdankee posted:

Also what do you guys usually say when people notice your naked iPhone

The best case is AppleCare+.

That said the poor design of the 6s/6s+ makes a case a more justifiable decision than any previous iPhone. Hugephones are dumb.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BGrifter posted:

That said the poor design of the 6s/6s+ makes a case a more justifiable decision than any previous iPhone. Hugephones are dumb.

The SE is really dumb for people with super small hands and inferior specs. The 6s is not a hugephone, it's a normal phone. Hardware in the past had difficulty supporting screens like the 6s, that's not the case anymore.

An additional point is I used to use a case to protect resale value for when I inevitably upgraded. Now that the iPhone Upgrade Program exists, I no longer have to worry about resale value.

e: http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Incipio-Absorbing-DualPro-6s-Black/dp/B00MUQ9DLO I use this case because it's saved my phone from shattering due to drops before, it looks great. $15 vs. whatever the applecare deductible is. Incipio for life.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 5, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yamdankee posted:

I honestly didn't even realize that was an option until now. I just checked and it's on Forever. I swear I'm not crazy. :ohdear: But it's only at 4.9GB which I'm kind of surprised to see. I'll probably change it to 1 year if/when it becomes a problem, I guess?

Also what do you guys usually say when people notice your naked iPhone and say, "Oh wow no case wow you're brave!" My usual response ranges from "Yeah I just kinda don't drop it." to "Yeah, the best protection is to just not drop it like an idiot" depending on how much of a jerk I am at the moment. I just don't get spending hundreds on a beautiful phone and then covering it up with a 3 dollar crappy plastic case that still doesn't guarantee not cracking your screen on a screen down drop. Not to mention all the scratches on the back of the phone because people never clean out the dust/sand/etc that gets in there.

Oh man and when you see someone with the big fat cases and the super soft screen protectors with tons of bubbles and dust under it almost peeling off.

I know, I'm spergin'. I shouldn't let this stuff get to me.

you chuckle and move on, it's a joke not a judgment you giant sperg

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

BGrifter posted:

People keep saying this but apparently the 6s is more durable than the SE for drops and bends.

It also sounds like the SE is not selling well at all, which is sad.

I love my 6s but I was hoping they'd keep updating the SE line so that when my next upgrade comes I could look into it as an option. Seems less likely now.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

It's not sad at all, it's exactly what I was hoping would happen. Hopefully now they focus on the real flagship and put all the R&D money they can into that instead of stuffing newer technology into an outdated hardware design for small-handed nincompoops.

I don't know why they decided to listen to the loud minority here, it was a bad business decision like has been seen before under Cook, and the stock price volatility over the past couple years reflects that.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

People keep saying this but apparently the 6s is more durable than the SE for drops and bends.

It also sounds like the SE is not selling well at all, which is sad.

I nearly made this exact same post yesterday (with a snarkier tone). The thing the first post ignores is that the while it may be slightly sturdier once dropped, the 6S is far easier to drop in the first place.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just throw a Saddle Brown Leather Case(not affiliated with pedophiles) on it and the iPhone will never fall.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Good I hope the SE bombs and they have a little bit of an awakening.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They still sold out on launch day, which says to me Apple knew exactly how big the market was and didn't overproduce for it. I'm not sure why everyone assumes that companies have to set sales records every time a new phone launches. What's wrong with filling a niche?

Especially in the cell phone world. Sales in general are leveling out because people have realized you don't need to upgrade every year.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
So for devs, is it hard to adapt to the new screen size every time a new phone size comes out?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The iPhone has become totally boring since the 5s. I mean apart from speedier insides, the only big thing I notice from the jump from my 5s to my 6s+ is the 3D Touch which most people don't use. It's a great phone but the iPhone isn't exciting any more at all for me.
The SE kinda just reaffirms my suspicions that they're stagnating. The Galaxy S7 looks might appealing at this stage.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Galaxy S7 looks might appealing at this stage.

Adios, bitch. :smugdon:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I, too, wish my phone was "exciting". I'm a "phone enthusiast" if you will. My phone IS my life, rather than a tool that helps me facilitate my life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You pay nearly a grand for these things, they'd wanna be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If iPhone 7 doesn't have holohands that reach out and jerk me off, I'm out. Step up your game Apple.