Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

AzureSkys posted:

Reading a bit about ranking, is it just really broke?

My good friend had a solid background in CSS and played here and there in CSGO. Finally decided to focus on comp, had a solid win streak in random groups and then got ranked with LEM.

The next day she queues for match, they're obviously new and wins a solid 16-1 with 30/6 k/d and somehow ends up silver 4. I'd post screenshots and demos, but rather keep her privacy. We're confused.

Yeah, it's pretty garbo. You hear a lot of horror stories. Valve won't own up to it, but honestly you can get matched against anyone no matter your rank. theres not much fairness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

AzureSkys posted:

My good friend had a solid background in CSS and played here and there in CSGO. Finally decided to focus on comp, had a solid win streak in random groups and then got ranked with LEM.

The next day she queues for match, they're obviously new and wins a solid 16-1 with 30/6 k/d and somehow ends up silver 4. I'd post screenshots and demos, but rather keep her privacy. We're confused.

Silver is between Eagle and Supreme now.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

AzureSkys posted:

The system is based on Glicko 2 which means there is an extremely high volatility period at the start, meaning you can get lucky and end up on either end of the ranks. Play some more games and you will begin to fall rapidly (if you aren't ranked correctly that is).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

sterster posted:

Someone want rnd 26 1v5 ace against knifes? Here ya go. feel free to put it on the youtubes.
steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-JRjG2-uTSF7-rKOdF-fyjQY-JmAEB

It's crazy how all five of them ran out of bullets at the same time

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

fennesz posted:

How did people do in the pick em? I had 66 points in the team portion and 1776 points :911: in the Fantasy Pickem. (3%)

74p (:negative:) and 1763p (4%) respectively. Crazy to see how close the upper ranks in the fantasy team were.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

qhat posted:

The system is based on Glicko 2 which means there is an extremely high volatility period at the start, meaning you can get lucky and end up on either end of the ranks. Play some more games and you will begin to fall rapidly (if you aren't ranked correctly that is).

I can't tell if people are being sarcastic in this thread anymore.

All I can tell is: I played my 10 ranking matches, during which you have no displayed rank, and got matched with fluctuating gold novas/mg/sem with the occasional outliers due to matchmaking lovely itself and/or people queuing together. I then got my placement rank of GN3, which I think was exactly at my level of play at the time.

I'm now GN4 which is normal since experience will inevitably lead you to getting better if you practice a little and try to play good.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Yeah despite my complaints about solo queue throwing me in with griefing asshats more often than not it put me at GN1 which is probably exactly where I should be.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

74p (:negative:) and 1763p (4%) respectively. Crazy to see how close the upper ranks in the fantasy team were.

I'm actually kind of glad I got silver in the team pick em. If I get bored of gold, I can switch to silver! :v:

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right
I think I had 65 pts (drat you NaVi.. although fnatic and nV also screwed me early on) and ~1450 in the player pickem which put me at 29% iirc.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I got 65 and 1924 points (had all 5 LG players on the days when they played, all of NiP when they didn't).

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

AzureSkys posted:

they are pretty much hacking and smurfing and its not your fault at all that you got owned

translator's note: just because you got into a match with a lem(s?) doesnt mean your elo is high. there's a moving average depending on the combined elo of a team and sometimes you get matched with a global and 4 silvers.

ps: user "up circle" is a griefer that loves to hate on valve matchmaking. everything he says is usually a malformed opinion cherrypicked from the meme graveyard known as leddit

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
mods? thats all a lie

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I want to do some co-op missions in the wildfire campaign but all my friends are butts who queue dust2 ad infinitum.

Please shoot mans with me

EU, Nova 1, was MGsomething last year but then took a break.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Laputanmachine posted:

I want to do some co-op missions in the wildfire campaign but all my friends are butts who queue dust2 ad infinitum.

Please shoot mans with me

EU, Nova 1, was MGsomething last year but then took a break.

We're mostly NA, but I will shoot you an invite to our group for Novas

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Oh Christ, apparently ESL is sucking up to Thorin on twitter. If he ends up at the desk in Cologne I will bring headphones into the venue to drown him out between games.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I am a :shobon: and played my first competitive match last night. Going in, I told everyone on my team I had no idea what I was doing and they should yell at me if I'm being stupid.

People were super chill and helpful. They gave me good feedback after they died (while watching my screen) and would give me hints and tips for the maps. People were calling enemy locations and strats. It was really solid overall.

I even pulled off a clutch 1v3 at some point, and almost pulled a clutch 1v4, but I got destroyed after killing three of them and planting the bomb.

I feel like having a total newbie on the team put everyone's expectations at rock bottom, and so when we werne't immediately blown out of the water everyone was pleasantly surprised. They were just grateful that I stayed with the group and didn't throw the bomb to the CTs while solo rushing the wrong bomb site. Every kill felt like a minor victory. We ended up getting a tie with the other team. GG all.

Silvers, here I come. :getin:

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Fishvilla posted:

competitive

People were super chill and helpful.

i don't believe you

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Smithereens posted:

i don't believe you

I was shocked. I've heard only horror stories about pubbie matches. I'm also assuming that this is going to be the high point of my life with silvers.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
http://esport.aftonbladet.se/csgo/nip-legend-potti-is-coming-back-to-esports-i-want-to-help-make-it-grow/

old man potti..

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Smithereens posted:

i don't believe you

Weirdly, my silver experience was way better then the Novas. No one knew what they were doing, and it was OK.

Maybe it's chill smurfs, or maybe they have accepted their lot in life as forever silvers

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Fishvilla posted:

I was shocked. I've heard only horror stories about pubbie matches. I'm also assuming that this is going to be the high point of my life with silvers.

It's a pretty mixed bag with random teams.

My first lobby had one person who wanted to queue with a friend who just got online and sat in spawn 3 rounds into the lobby and did circles demanding to be kicked. Upon hearing this another person said he would not kick him unless we vote kicked him first. And the 3rd person called anyone who was trying idiots whenever they died or didn't insta headshot anyone they saw. It was the worst group I've ever seen which includes a few years of the cesspool that is TF2 lobbies.

From then on its mostly been a mix of teams with a few people who talk and others don't, and a few awesome teams of people who were all working together.

This was also Silver 4 to SEM. I just hit Nova last night so God knows how that will go.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 5, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

solo MM queue is all over. Generally you can improve your experience (and win %) if you immediately start talking to your team and being pleasant. I've doing a lot of trial and error, and typically if you sit silent (and no one else peeps up and says friendly things) vibes go into the shitter within the first few rounds if your team doesn't win 2-3 in a row.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Talk to your teammates in warmup and don't rage like a child and your odds of winning increase by approximately 1000%

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Kumbamontu posted:

Talk to your teammates in warmup and don't rage like a child and your odds of winning increase by approximately 1000%

1000% of 0 is still zero

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
don't soloqueue dust2

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
S1mple claims Guardian played with 5 sensitivity in the final. Not the most reputable source but even potentially false sensitivity news should be big news in the sensitivity thread.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Thorgot posted:

S1mple claims Guardian played with 5 sensitivity in the final. Not the most reputable source but even potentially false sensitivity news should be big news in the sensitivity thread.

I demand a 360 no scope reaction test

e: Camera pointed at his mouse hand while a demo records in game footage. It's the only way to be sure.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 5, 2016

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

God damnit quote is not Edit.

Oh well, anyone have any other good sources of info for CS GO besides the OP?

I looked at WarOwl on youtube, and it seemed like his basic info was good, but I don't care for the character he does for youtube.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katana Gomai posted:

Oh Christ, apparently ESL is sucking up to Thorin on twitter. If he ends up at the desk in Cologne I will bring headphones into the venue to drown him out between games.

i would recommend a bucket of water to drown him out instead

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

OxySnake posted:

God damnit quote is not Edit.

Oh well, anyone have any other good sources of info for CS GO besides the OP?

I looked at WarOwl on youtube, and it seemed like his basic info was good, but I don't care for the character he does for youtube.

adren is good when you're ready to upgrade from war owl (who is good for basic stuff). e: removed url because SA is dumb and won't let me paste a link to his channel. just search.

also use this site with the ingame browser for nades: http://sothatwemaybefree.com/ while you play~!~~ i assume you're at that point where i am and you're bad at everything.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Thorgot posted:

professor chaos plays with 7k effective dpi

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Smithereens posted:

nice

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Smithereens posted:

I bought his sticker

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I can't tell if people are being sarcastic in this thread anymore.

All I can tell is: I played my 10 ranking matches, during which you have no displayed rank, and got matched with fluctuating gold novas/mg/sem with the occasional outliers due to matchmaking lovely itself and/or people queuing together. I then got my placement rank of GN3, which I think was exactly at my level of play at the time.

I'm now GN4 which is normal since experience will inevitably lead you to getting better if you practice a little and try to play good.

What I said is true and confirmed by valve.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

qhat posted:

What I said is true and confirmed by valve.

lmao did the retard that springs to action faster than a EMS on a conflict zone whenever the word matchmaking is mentioned already comment on these current events

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Can I get a goongroup invite?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/audax/
Thanks

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

ArfJason posted:

lmao did the retard that springs to action faster than a EMS on a conflict zone whenever the word matchmaking is mentioned already comment on these current events

trust your heart and you will learn the answer

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Audax posted:

Can I get a goongroup invite?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/audax/
Thanks
Sent!

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

Wonder how many cases he's opened!