Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder how disappointed Apocalypse was when Angel went and got silly face tats after becoming Archangel.

drat it, Warren! You're lucky Eric's got an extra helmet you can borrow. Fuckin' kids these days.

Brainiac Five posted:

There are no pale horses, because pale means sickly green in coloration in Revelation.

Like anyone's gonna believe your "textual sources" over Clint Eastwood.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

As I've said I've watched The Empire Strikes Back every week for 20 or so years. So I've seen it probably close to over a 1000 times. I've got about 75% to 85% of the dialogue memorized. It's just a weird thing I do to relax. I also just put it on when I'm doing work at my house or I'm reading a book or if I'm trying to go to sleep.

Basically, I started doing this when I was around 14 with a VHS copy which I'd just endlessly watch whenever I had to study for school. Then when I went to college I did the same thing except it was on my computer at that point. So I'd just watch it or put it on when I wanted to go to sleep. Then when I was working as a EMT if I had a bad day I'd end my shift with watching it.

So now it's a actual like weird OCD thing.

I'm mostly surprised you've seen Empire Strikes Back 1000 times and aren't even 90 percent on the dialog.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan or possibly James Purefoy a lot, but I'm still sad he has replaced Michael Fassbender. Otherwise these look surprisingly neat, considering it's promotional material for an X-Men movie. They even managed to make Psylocke not look like a stripper.

The symbol annoys me, though. Apocalypse should wear a big A on his belt, but if he is gonna have a symbol like that, it should use an Alpha.

edit: I'm dumb, the capital Alpha is an A.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 5, 2016

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

Doctor Strange looks like Thor 1. I think its going to be really bad

Thor 1 was good

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thor 1 was good

It was my favourite Marvel movie until Guardians of the Galaxy came out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phylodox posted:

It was my favourite Marvel movie until Guardians of the Galaxy came out.

Same, I think Thor, Winter Soldier and GotG are the best Marvel movies by far

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm saying because I feel like BvS broke me, kinda? There's something about that whole movie that bothered me on a deep level and I'm trying to wrack my brain around it. Like, outside of the editing, the film makes me feel just awful. And it's not really about killing or not killing, but about character, ultimately. And how Superman's character just doesn't jive with me.

It's because the Synderverse is unjust to the core.

Edit: Oh wow I didn't realize that was 20 pages ago. Sorry to necro you, dude.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 5, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thor 1 was good

The first and third acts are fine. The "Thor on Earth" stuff brings the movie to a screeching halt.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought the Thor on Earth stuff was great. I love that they took a story about one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel canon, a literal god, and gave him a character driven story about learning humility. The scene where he realizes he can't lift Mjolnir is one of my favourite in any comic book movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

The first and third acts are fine. The "Thor on Earth" stuff brings the movie to a screeching halt.

That's like my favorite part. Thor slamming his coffee mug on the floor and demanding another.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Timby posted:

I liked that part too

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I thought the Thor on Earth stuff was great. I love that they took a story about one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel canon, a literal god, and gave him a character driven story about learning humility. The scene where he realizes he can't lift Mjolnir is one of my favourite in any comic book movie.
That redemption arc pretty much writes itself though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timby posted:

You're like the exact opposite of me. Female gaze buddy movie Thor was by far the most interesting part to me. I don't care/like the badly directed action at the end or the beginning outside some of the imagery.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Darko posted:

I don't care/like the badly directed action at the end or the beginning outside some of the imagery.

I should give Thor the benefit of a full watch sometime soon, especially since I liked Ant-Man considerably more than I thought. But I was watching the last half hour or so on FX the other night and the Thor/Loki fight at the end is positively grim. It's like some bad TV choreography fighting and wire-fu, like if it was Worf against some alien on TNG.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like the whole movie but the character/dialogue-driven middle portion definitely plays to Branagh's strengths more

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Darko posted:

You're like the exact opposite of me. Female gaze buddy movie Thor was by far the most interesting part to me. I don't care/like the badly directed action at the end or the beginning outside some of the imagery.

:agreed:

Thor on Earth is the best part of an otherwise forgettable movie. In fact I don't really remember anything other than the coffee shop being funny.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The robot fight was garbage.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Magical guy from another world/time ends up in modern day USA and is confused by things" is pretty much the worst trope.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Steve2911 posted:

"Magical guy from another world/time ends up in modern day USA and is confused by things" is pretty much the worst trope.
Look at this doofus that doesn't like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Steve2911 posted:

Nah, people that use "trope" are the worst. Thor on Earth was fun and good.
Asgard and blowing up Gort were garbage.

Cage posted:

Look at this doofus that doesn't like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

This dude gets it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve2911 posted:

Ok Debbie Downer.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fish out of water is a tried and true storytelling base just like Hero's Journey.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darko posted:

Fish out of water is a tried and true storytelling base just like Hero's Journey.

Yeah fish out of water is fine.

"Cell phone? What's a cell phone? Is it a mighty weapon?" etc isn't.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thor 1 was good

It was OK

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

:agreed:

Thor on Earth is the best part of an otherwise forgettable movie. In fact I don't really remember anything other than the coffee shop being funny.

This, though I also remember Odin ripping Thors metal nipples off.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darko posted:

There are different types of 'fish-out-of-water' story, however. Like, fuckin' Tarkovsky's Stalker is a 'fish-out-of-water' story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Thor on Earth stuff is the best part of Thor 1.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The shield stuff is the worst part of Thor, and that takes place on earth. Him being a general idiot on earth is fine though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

greatn posted:

The shield stuff is the worst part of Thor, and that takes place on earth. Him being a general idiot on earth is fine though.

Hawkeye grabbing his bow instead of a gun in a "badass moment" is forever the funniest thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

wyoming posted:

Hawkeye grabbing his bow instead of a gun in a "badass moment" is forever the funniest thing.

Nah the funniest thing is that leads exactly nowhere.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've never really gotten why the character is a bow guy. Like, Katniss uses a bow because she could make it herself in a society where she couldn't buy a gun. She gains a skill operating as a poacher, which the state attempts to co-opt into mass entertainment, that she then reclaims as a symbolic representation of being an outlaw and rebel. With Hawkeye it feels like an affectation, like if Black Widow rode everywhere on one of those bicycles with the giant front wheel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hawkeye is goddamn terrible. He should have died in Avengers 2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A penny farthing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've never really gotten why the character is a bow guy. Like, Katniss uses a bow because she could make it herself in a society where she couldn't buy a gun. She gains a skill operating as a poacher, which the state attempts to co-opt into mass entertainment, that she then reclaims as a symbolic representation of being an outlaw and rebel. With Hawkeye it feels like an affectation, like if Black Widow rode everywhere on one of those bicycles with the giant front wheel.

I'm imagining the circus performer flashback Hawkeye could've had if Scarlet Witch had hosed with his head. I think it actually improves Age of Ultron???

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Detective Dog Dick posted:

The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse: Death, Death, Death and Death.

They actually did this is a comic at one point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sir Kodiak posted:

Because DC has an archer guy and there's no way in hell Marvel's gonna let them be the sole occupants of that niche.

I think Ultimate Hawkeye did use guns. But he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked and it's a mercy that the Ultimate Universe was canceled.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That Batman guy also has a thing for bats for some reason. Like, wtf?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That Batman guy also has a thing for bats for some reason. Like, wtf?

Given that Batman has an exhaustively explored reason for associating himself with bats, I'm assuming that this sarcasm means that there's something obvious about Hawkeye I've missed, so would you mind filling me in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Same thing but with bow and arrows

• Locked thread