Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I really want to like Kult, but I wonder if I'm just nostalgic for it because I heard about it back in the day when AOL was the new hotness and we found out about new RPGs from ad-copy and fanpages. And there's a dark side to that, too--my first exposure to Kult was from fanpages full of homebrew scenarios that were edgy for its own sake.

From PurpleXVI's review of the game in F&F, it seems like there's not a lot of there there, so to speak. A universe full of scary edgy stuff, but nothing for the PCs to latch onto.

Kult is very gnostic. Similar to Mage the Awakening in the vaguest sense but with more Ur-city, cenobites and torture/pain/evil medical procedures fuel magic.

There is enough in the original kult supplements that can be salvaged for other games though. I just bypass the splatter punk 80's edgy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As I think I said the previous page, I'm going to use it to run psychological horror/serial killer type narratives, with the cosmological stuff in the background for the players to dig into when they come across it. Perhaps the players put together that it doesn't all come together right, and that the killer was being subtly influenced by beings from outside the realms of traditional perception, or perhaps they don't, but either way, the experience puts them on a downward psychological spiral that can be mined for more stories.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Fenarisk posted:

So how 'bout that Pirate World? The creator has logged into Kickstarter on the past few days but no update since September, backer comments are going ignored, and the website linked for the creator is now 404. It's only $15 but still, at this point I'd be happy for the goon to reach out to me or anyone on this forum to help, because Jesus.

I will be super surprised if anything at all further comes out of PW. The author used to post a fair bit in the DW thread, but vanished a long time ago.

Plus the update that claimed printing was going forward without having released a full pdf was just bizarre.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just got my copy of Harry Connolly's Way into Fate supplement (a Fate Core book for his Great Way series) but it doesn't seem like he's put it up for sale anywhere. Which is too bad.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He'll make it available for sale at some point, I'm sure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's up on DTRPG now..

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

So how 'bout that Pirate World? The creator has logged into Kickstarter on the past few days but no update since September, backer comments are going ignored, and the website linked for the creator is now 404. It's only $15 but still, at this point I'd be happy for the goon to reach out to me or anyone on this forum to help, because Jesus.

Same. It's really disappointing, especially since Dungeon World as a whole is on the wane in terms of popularity afaict compared to when it was pitched.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Same. It's really disappointing, especially since Dungeon World as a whole is on the wane in terms of popularity afaict compared to when it was pitched.

I think it's because it's "age" is showing. We've got a better overall understanding of how PbtA mechanics work and how to better implement them. DW was one of the first major AW hacks, so it's really just "shove D&D into the system, cut off the bits that stick out".

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it's because it's "age" is showing. We've got a better overall understanding of how PbtA mechanics work and how to better implement them. DW was one of the first major AW hacks, so it's really just "shove D&D into the system, cut off the bits that stick out".

So what are the newer/better implementations of PbtA mechanics then? Legitimately curious, as I've been somewhat removed lately.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The one that springs to mind is Urban Shadows; it does a great job of using the moves to drive a style of play (in this case, WoD-style urban horror and politicing).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I may have asked this before, but are there PBTA games that pull off medieval fantasy better than Dungeon World by avoiding things like HP counts and vancian casting and the six original attribute scores?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CaptCommy posted:

So what are the newer/better implementations of PbtA mechanics then? Legitimately curious, as I've been somewhat removed lately.

Urban Shadows, Masks, and Monster Hearts come to mind. I won't reiterate Urban Shadows and I know little of Monster Hearts, but I ran Masks and it runs really smoothly and meshes super well with the engine.

I want to say Fellowship tentatively. It was great when I playtested, but it has changed a lot since then. Considering that all those improvements seem for the better, though, I'd say it's also a great example: it really plays to the system's strengths, plays a lot with the format of GM/Players to great affect, and really does great things with concepts like the spotlight and narrative effects.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
World Wide Wrestling, the best PbtA game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lichtenstein posted:

World Wide Wrestling, the best PbtA game.

I agree with this opinion. Certainly my favorite of the games I've kickstarted. Now if only I could convince friends or my gaming group to play it!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I agree with this opinion. Certainly my favorite of the games I've kickstarted. Now if only I could convince friends or my gaming group to play it!

Things that work to condition players:
- Lucha Underground. Seriously.
- Memes. Maymays. Meemees.
- This little video is both pretty funny and has worked wonders in getting the idea to click for people (including the "wrestling has a story and that is actually the interesting part of this game" part, which is a fairly foreign idea to most folks in need of convincing).

Seriously though, if they don't bite immediately after being sent the last link, pitch it as an equivalent of a silly kung fu movie that's more character- than plot-centric. And embrace the camp - no matter how dumb the poo poo your players come up with is, they'll get invested in their little world in no time.

PS. I also heartily recommend grabbing a microphone as a prop, everytime.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If you want to get people a feel for how to do WWW, show them this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REdhEwW9ssY

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Samjoko Games posted:

Hello Golden Sky Stories backers, my name is Kyle Simons and I promised you all a supplement for Golden Sky Stories called Household Gods. Despite several efforts to come up with an interesting and compelling way, by means of GSS or other options, I have simply failed to do so. I'd like to offer you all a game I made called Magicians, along with some card packs to play it with, as small compensation for not being able to make you all something worth playing with Golden Sky Stories along with my sincere apology.

Oof. Already have it, myself.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, I backed the original campaign for Magicians, so this isn't really anything to me. But I had zero stake in whatever his addition to GSS was going to be, so this isn't really any skin off my nose. Shame he wasn't able to work anything together, though, the concept seemed interesting.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Dungeon World emulates old school fantasy RPGs and that dungeon crawling or high fantasy adventure feel, not sure what people think it's supposed to do otherwise. I mean other than taking out the stats and simplifying them to -1 to +3.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

Dungeon World emulates old school fantasy RPGs and that dungeon crawling or high fantasy adventure feel, not sure what people think it's supposed to do otherwise. I mean other than taking out the stats and simplifying them to -1 to +3.

It's not just that the stats go to 18, but that there are 6 of them. As a consequence of feeling it needs 6 attributes, it misunderstands Defy Danger and splits it across all six attributes, allowing players to spin their defense to their highest attribute whenever possible. Like, seriously, the list of D&D things you can't mitigate by "getting out of the way or acting fast" is pretty loving small. D&D saving throws came from the interaction between a class' natural strengths and the kind of the threat, not attribute scores, and Dexterity did not have that place of prominence.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I actually decided to move this to the DW thread so as not to clutter this one, but I personally don't see why "acting smart" or "acting strong" is any less legitimate to defy danger. But yes I could see trimming the stats down to the more adjective based ones.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Oof. Already have it, myself.

Same, I think I picked it up on sale or in a bundle. Kind of disappointing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Magicians is new to me, but it's still a bummer that he couldn't get the GSS content out instead.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I filled out my Backerkit for the CoC 7th edition Kickstarter, and it sounds like things will ship within the next few weeks. That means that Alas, Vegas is now my oldest TG kickstarter that still needs to fulfil (apart from my print copy of Metamorphosis Alpha). Yay?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/rail-raiders-infinite/description

Rail Raiders Infinite! Looks like it is trying for a casual thing. Looks like it will get old fast.

I don't like the game play of Ninja All Stars so will ignore this one as well.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Looks like Fate More's backerkit is finalized, and some PDFs are out to backers. I just got links to the final version of MJ-12 and Bubblegumshoe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

Looks like Fate More's backerkit is finalized, and some PDFs are out to backers. I just got links to the final version of MJ-12 and Bubblegumshoe.

Aww man, I wish I had remembered to back that. Guess I'll just have to wait until they're up for sale.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

LordAba posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/rail-raiders-infinite/description

Rail Raiders Infinite! Looks like it is trying for a casual thing. Looks like it will get old fast.

I don't like the game play of Ninja All Stars so will ignore this one as well.

I like the idea and would probably play it if one of my friends had a copy but god I hate the anime titty miniatures.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Might as well put it down here for posterity, but gnome7's Fellowship has just delivered finalized pdfs to backers and gone up for sale on DTRPG.

e; well I say gone up for sale but it could be one of those deals where backers get dl copies first and then it hits the store in like a week, at any rate it's delivered.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/177662/Fellowship--A-Tabletop-Adventure-Game

No, it is also up in the store. Print copies will be another month or two, I need to order proofs and check if they need any formatting fixes. But you can buy Fellowship in PDF now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

cyberia posted:

I like the idea and would probably play it if one of my friends had a copy but god I hate the anime titty miniatures.

Look tiny cleavage is important to the game because-

It's important to the mechanics since-

The aesthetic requires-

:v:

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

gnome7 posted:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/177662/Fellowship--A-Tabletop-Adventure-Game

No, it is also up in the store. Print copies will be another month or two, I need to order proofs and check if they need any formatting fixes. But you can buy Fellowship in PDF now.

Any idea what the cost will be for print for those of us who missed the KS?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Any idea what the cost will be for print for those of us who missed the KS?

Yes, prices have been determined.

$50 for the hardcover, $25 for the paperback, and ordering either will also get you the PDF version. Anyone who orders the PDF version before its available in print will also be mailed a discount coupon code so they can buy the physical book at $16 less (equal to the cost of the PDF order already placed).

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

gnome7 posted:

Yes, prices have been determined.

$50 for the hardcover, $25 for the paperback, and ordering either will also get you the PDF version. Anyone who orders the PDF version before its available in print will also be mailed a discount coupon code so they can buy the physical book at $16 less (equal to the cost of the PDF order already placed).

Will KS backers at the PDF level get the discount coupon? Or was that part of a higher tier I'm forgetting?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So, you may remember I posted a while ago about blatant scam "Merlin's March"

Well it funded. Now take a look at it, and these other two campaigns, one currently running, and see if you can tell what they have in common.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752312315/3-aps-60-levels-epic-pathfinder-adventure-bundle/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/222134287/harvested-20-level-pathfinder-and-dandd-5e-adventu

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90734061/merlins-march-20-levels-dandd-5e-and-pathfinder-co

All three are by the same person, using different accounts but with the same name registered to them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

So, you may remember I posted a while ago about blatant scam "Merlin's March"

Well it funded. Now take a look at it, and these other two campaigns, one currently running, and see if you can tell what they have in common.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752312315/3-aps-60-levels-epic-pathfinder-adventure-bundle/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/222134287/harvested-20-level-pathfinder-and-dandd-5e-adventu

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90734061/merlins-march-20-levels-dandd-5e-and-pathfinder-co

All three are by the same person, using different accounts but with the same name registered to them.

Well I have to admit, of all the Kickstarter scammers I've seen this guy is one of the more effective at it. Three KS's all funded or set to be funded, compare this to the guy who kept trying to make "card games" using obvious IP violations that got shut down within a day. Aren't you glad Kickstarter curates the projects they host to prevent somethahahaha

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1669298805/primoris-core-set

This is a project I helped out with that's been about two years in the making. Any support it can get would be greatly appreciated.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

This is a project I helped out with that's been about two years in the making. Any support it can get would be greatly appreciated.

Domina Ventris is Latin for "Mistress of the Tummy"

That's not really support but the art does look good!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

CottonWolf posted:

As I think I said the previous page, I'm going to use it to run psychological horror/serial killer type narratives, with the cosmological stuff in the background for the players to dig into when they come across it. Perhaps the players put together that it doesn't all come together right, and that the killer was being subtly influenced by beings from outside the realms of traditional perception, or perhaps they don't, but either way, the experience puts them on a downward psychological spiral that can be mined for more stories.

You might actually just want Trail of Cthulhu or Fear Itself for this.

CirclMastr posted:

Why would I support this game after you guys worked so hard to make me hate you with the last terrible game you shilled on here?

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You might actually just want Trail of Cthulhu or Fear Itself for this.

Why would I support this game after you guys worked so hard to make me hate you with the last terrible game you shilled on here?

That seems angry enough for there to be a useful story perhaps?

• Locked thread