Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

bloodychill posted:

Eh, I'd still say ME2 was among the greats in terms of western writing for characters. Like a lot of RPG's western and eastern, the character writing is often stellar while the story is usually just decent at best.
While I did enjoy ME2 most of the party member writing was just "Parental Issues: The Game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bloodychill posted:

Enter the Gungeon looks like a mashup of bullet hell, Binding of Isaac, and Nuclear Throne, so extremely my jam. Downloading now...

Oh dang, I've been looking at that. Trip report?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

The DLC for the Witcher 3 is insane, one quest has as much or more talking as the new fallout 4 Automation dlc.
The wedding mission was so god drat good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Accordion Man posted:

The wedding mission was so god drat good.

How the gently caress did you know what mission I was talking about? Holy poo poo.

I've only done the 2 first tasks, I really need to finish heart of stone at one point.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Accordion Man posted:

While I did enjoy ME2 most of the party member writing was just "Parental Issues: The Game".

I'm not going to disagree but I still enjoyed it for what it was. TIM also was also the best "here's your mission" guy ever, though having a genuinely great actor in the role and actually put in 100% effort almost makes it feel like it's cheating.

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh dang, I've been looking at that. Trip report?

So far it's fun. Only been playing for about an hour but in some ways it actually feels smoother in terms of shooting and movement than Nuclear Throne. There's a lot more going on in terms of weapons and items you can equip but it remains to be seen whether that distracts from or adds to the main gameplay. There's a LOT more bullet hell than NT.

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite thing in Mass Effect 3 is how they revealed the mysterious face of the masked character and they just used a stock photo with bad effects on it.

lol I forgot about that. Such a hilarious afterthought.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

bloodychill posted:

I'm not going to disagree but I still enjoyed it for what it was. TIM also was also the best "here's your mission" guy ever, though having a genuinely great actor in the role and actually put in 100% effort almost makes it feel like it's cheating.
Yeah, I'm not trying to say its poo poo and you be should be ashamed if you like it. It's actually good that recent games just overshadow ME's writing because writing in video games has gotten a lot better in recent years when it comes to RPGs and adventure games.

Tenzarin posted:

How the gently caress did you know what mission I was talking about? Holy poo poo.
Because its fantastic.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

bloodychill posted:

cram me sideways doing their best to fill in the shitposting gap left by taints and stux but not nearly as funny.

Fine I'll just copy everyone's opinion about whatever and then we'll all have to get along.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of writing and RPGs, do I have to play the other Shadowrun games or can I just jump straight into Hong Kong without getting too lost?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cram me sideways posted:

Fine I'll just copy everyone's opinion about whatever and then we'll all have to get along.
I'm glad to see you're stupid enough to believe this is the problem.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Level Slide posted:

Speaking of writing and RPGs, do I have to play the other Shadowrun games or can I just jump straight into Hong Kong without getting too lost?
Each campaign is independent of each other so you can just jump right in. I'd also recommend playing Dragonfall, both it and Hong Kong are great games. Vanilla Returns is a solid game, but its not as fleshed out as its successors.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dragonfall seems like it was better than Hong Kong but the latter had a ton of QOL improvements.

Both still better than alot more expensive "games" on steam.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

Dragonfall seems like it was better than Hong Kong but the latter had a ton of QOL improvements.

Both still better than alot more expensive "games" on steam.
It's kind of that situation where its up to personal taste, because while some people feel that HK wasn't as plot driven as Dragonfall and suffered for it, I actually thought HK had stronger character writing. Like pretty much every NPC in HK is fleshed out and interesting to talk to and the ones in the main hub even have their own arcs. I also really liked how you can resolve a good chunk of missions in HK without combat. (I like the series' combat, but giving you non-combat options is always great.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

I'll never understand why that guy goes for the SS vibe with his thumbnails.
Killzone

Ostentatious posted:

bioshock 2: misunderstood game that's better than infinite or just straight up bad game?
BioShock 2 is actually the second best Bioshock (best is Minerva's Den). The start is pretty terrible though.

Lurdiak posted:

So apparently an expansion to Baldur's Gate... 1 came out. And it has :siren:womz and a trans person in it:siren: so big ol' dummies who haven't played it are bombarding metacritic and such sites with negative reviews because the dreaded cultural marxists have gotten to Baldur's gate and ruined it.

Incidentally, on Steam it has a pretty good critical score, because you need to actually play the game to vote on it there.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Isn't Baldur's Gate like...really old? How is there a new expac?
It's for the recent Enhanced Edition re-release/port.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is the baldurs gate expansion related to that guy who wanted to be a dragon?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 5, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Accordion Man posted:

It's kind of that situation where its up to personal taste, because while some people feel that HK wasn't as plot driven as Dragonfall and suffered for it, I actually though HK had stronger character writing. Like pretty much every NPC in HK is fleshed out and interesting to talk to and the ones in the main hub even have their own arcs. I also really liked how you can resolve a good chunk of missions in HK without combat. (I like the series' combat, but giving you non-combat options is always great.)

I really enjoyed both and agree about HK characters but one of the things that caught me offguard with Dragonfall was how neat and weird the Berlin Flux State was. Having gangs, corporatations, and a dozen different fringe ideologically-driven paramilitary organizations all competing over the same city made for a more novel setting than I was expecting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/269735/Opinion_The_Siege_of_Dragonspear_drama_and_the_video_game_community.php

Storms of reactionary rage tend to go through multiple phases that roughly correspond to dawning self-awareness. The first wave is pure emotion and unbridled bigotry, the next is a collective hangover where many of the outraged realize they need something substantial to hang their hatred upon, especially if they are to convince others. Thus, figleaf arguments enter the discussion. In this case, the figleaf is twofold: one, assert angrily that this is actually about ethics in Beamdog covering up the bugs in Dragonspear, and two, assert angrily that this actually about ethics in representing transgender characters sensitively...

...much of this outrage is really just about the same old same old: a particularly complaintive and possessive sect of gaming being confronted with something that makes them uncomfortable. I’ve literally posted the entirety of Mizhena’s “offensive” dialogue in this column, and because of the 30-some-odd seconds it takes to go through it, we’re on another merry-go-round of misery that is sending a clear, unsettling signal to both women and queer people in this industry...

... In a month that has seen trans people’s public presence all but criminalised in North Carolina, a similar law being mooted in Mississippi, and an actual bounty on trans women up for debate in Kansas, we in the gaming world should pay attention to what message we’re sending when we permit this kind of caterwauling in our forums and when we suggest that these people are “valuable customers” whose feedback should be listened to.

When you intimate that people like that fellow who said women like me have an incurable mental disorder are your audience, you’re sending a clear message that bigotry is acceptable “criticism” from “fans” and something that should be taken into consideration. When you align yourself or your company with these whining bigots, with their dissembling excuses and overt hatred alike, you say they matter more than the people harmed by their bigotry...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What other games have trans characters? Is this really the first one or something?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jay Rust posted:

What other games have trans characters? Is this really the first one or something?

Final Fantasy 7

That king of fighters game with billy

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

There are the occasional ones here and there but I'm having a hard time thinking of any super prominent ones.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

Catherine has the most visible trans character I've ever seen in a game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition had a trans character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tenzarin posted:

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 5

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Argh get all of these agendas out of my face

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was originally playing a sorcerer but my melee game was so weak that I got stomped, then I went for a cleric and got tired of the Greatsword, and now I'm not even sure what I want. A smarter approach to sorcerer, I suppose. What would people recommend for a dex sorcerer in terms of early-game weapons?

This was always my problem with playing the DS games and Bloodborne, in that I could never decide what sort of character to play as/weapons to use, and eventually the answer would become "none of them; play something else"

:(

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
After setting up the character with "xe" and "xem" references, Azure Striker Gunvolt does not a terrific job of handling its trans villain.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Manky posted:

After setting up the character with "xe" and "xem" references, Azure Striker Gunvolt does not a terrific job of handling its trans villain.

Is it possible to plug your own socket?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad to see you're stupid enough to believe this is the problem.

Well, it is a problem, but more that it's a symptom of the actual issue.

Gaming opinion herd mentality helps good game ideas stick around, and help kill off bad game ideas, e.g., QB for the xbone is doing better than Halo 5 in consistent Twitch viewership, in disappointing fewer of its fanbase, and wouldn't be surprised if it does better overall, particularly because the UWP will count toward sales, I think.

The actual issue is that game producers use the herd mentality, and not regarding the actual game; they emulate the marketing and sales strategies while ignoring the game mechanics and content that people play.

Jay Rust posted:

It's a new issue, and given technology and the speed at which hot-button issues spread, its onset will be faster than the interracial or homosexuality issues of generations past.

I want to say that was initially a miscommunication thing, but it definitely is what it is now :eyepop:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

It is the eternal dream.

Anyway, all of this blowback is nonsense. It's perfectly fine and not even all that unusual to have trans people or hermaphrodites or cross dressers in any work of fiction, to say nothing of fantasy. I have no idea who this character is or what they say, I'm certain the writing is terrible, but the inclusion alone cannot be called an "agenda". It isn't an agenda being pushed unless the character is like, the star of some sort of after school special sidequest, where you have to do a side quest convincing the local mayor and authorities to officially allow her to be recognized as a woman, talking to all of the townies and carefully constructing reasonable arguments to face down their bigotry and suspicion and fears, and ultimately joining the whole town in a celebration for diversity.

From the sounds of it, this is just a trans NPC, some incidental character some place, so this could not possibly be more of a non-issue. If you think this is an agenda being forced on you, you are allowing your bigotry to cloud your reason, and should reconsider.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mistle posted:

Well, it is a problem, but more that it's a symptom of the actual issue.

Gaming opinion herd mentality helps good game ideas stick around, and help kill off bad game ideas, e.g., QB for the xbone is doing better than Halo 5 in consistent Twitch viewership, in disappointing fewer of its fanbase, and wouldn't be surprised if it does better overall, particularly because the UWP will count toward sales, I think.

The actual issue is that game producers use the herd mentality, and not regarding the actual game; they emulate the marketing and sales strategies while ignoring the game mechanics and content that people play.

It's a new issue, and given technology and the speed at which hot-button issues spread, its onset will be faster than the interracial or homosexuality issues of generations past.

I want to say that was initially a miscommunication thing, but it definitely is what it is now :eyepop:

"doing better than ____ in consistent Twitch viewership"

I glad twitch can now be used as a measuring device to tell me how good a game is.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

From the sounds of it, this is just a trans NPC, some incidental character some place, so this could not possibly be more of a non-issue. If you think this is an agenda being forced on you, you are allowing your bigotry to cloud your reason, and should reconsider.

What if the character is like a main character in a star wars game and they are like a sith character or a jedi character trying to help you, "learn the force"?

"let the force flow through you"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Complaining about "agendas" is stupid to begin with; every piece of writing is influenced by the author's beliefs and views. If something is entirely inoffensive to you, that means it didn't challenge your viewpoint, not that it's absent of ideology.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 6, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

raditts posted:

Final Fantasy 5

I really don't think someone pretending to be a guy to not get raped by pirates is the same as a transgender person.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIw7VUCmpk

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What I find funny about the whole trans in gaming thing is that no one talks about curie in FO4. Sure, not full trans. But she has a sexual identity even though she's a robot. I guess since she's a girl we(straight men) can ogle it's fine.

I think when the geck comes out I'll do a voiced model swap if I get the gumption. Male curie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Manky posted:

that one's specifically a hermaphrodite

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

This is hilarious

not the line so much as the inevitable reaction to the line

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 6, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Motto posted:

Complaining about "agendas" is stupid to begin with; every piece of writing is influenced by the author's beliefs and views. If something is entirely inoffensive to you, that means it didn't challenge your viewpoint, not that it's absent of ideology.

Imagine Alex Jones playing Metal Gear Solid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tenzarin posted:

Imagine Alex Jones being a codec call in Metal Gear Solid.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tenzarin posted:

*insert Loopback.jpg here*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

This was the pitch for Deus Ex.

• Locked thread