Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

logikv9 posted:

the new OLED theme is awesome but it doesn't really show if a post has been read before or not? :ohdear:

I miss this, too. And op post highlighting, though that's less necessary.

E: overall, I'm quite happy with the few minutes of use I've put in so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

You mean scrolling through a list of threads (a forum instead of a bookmarks list)? Or actually reading a thread?

If you mean reading one then it works completely differently to the list, it has to render all the thread stuff and with all the embedded videos and tweets these days, it's a bit heavier going. You could try disabling some of that fancy stuff if it's too slow right now

Actually in a thread. There is a marked difference from the last update to this one so it's not my phone I suspect.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

I miss this, too. And op post highlighting, though that's less necessary.

E: overall, I'm quite happy with the few minutes of use I've put in so far.

It has OP highlighting but it's very subtle. Overall I like it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It has Read Posts highlighting too, I can see it right now. It is subtle though

I noticed a few things could do with tweaking in the OLED theme, on/off switch states aren't easily distinguishable either. Do people have a tint preference, like red or something? (I know having it customisable would be nice but that's kind of a mission)

Red_Fred posted:

Actually in a thread. There is a marked difference from the last update to this one so it's not my phone I suspect.

I'll have a look and see if I can see any obvious performance hits, maybe there's some optimisations that can be done. Is it on all threads, or just certain ones? A link would be good if it needs an example. And is it slow while it's loading, or after the loading bar has finished?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Slow while reading threads that have finished loading. However as the day has gone on it seems to be better. Image heavy threads are slow but that's always been the case.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Red_Fred posted:

Slow while reading threads that have finished loading. However as the day has gone on it seems to be better. Image heavy threads are slow but that's always been the case.

What type of phone are you using?

Also do you have hardware acceleration enabled?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

logikv9 posted:

the new OLED theme is awesome but it doesn't really show if a post has been read before or not? :ohdear:

Haha, my phone has an amoled screen and I can't see the difference between read/unread posts but on my tablet I can, it's very subtle. I do see the OP highlighting on both

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

What type of phone are you using?

Also do you have hardware acceleration enabled?

I'm using a Nexus 5x and hardware acceleration wasn't on. I just turned it on and it's much faster now! Yay, thanks.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

3.2.3.0b:
- Fixed a few crashes on older phones.
- Fixed a bug where the app would crash at the end of the probation period. If it's still crashing you'll need to clear the app data.

Thanks to baka-kaba for fixing this when I think it's a good idea to push an update and then go out of town

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You kidding? Beta users looooove this kind of action!

I think the beta version should be renamed to Xtremely Awful

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

You kidding? Beta users looooove this kind of action!

I think the beta version should be renamed to Xtremely Awful

Wasn't a beta though :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I uh :ohdear:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For some reason the text size for the url menu is really unnecessarily huge, so you can't see what the url is now:

And that kinda makes the menu useless. Where do you go to bring that font size back down to something that makes it readable?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

fishmech posted:

For some reason the text size for the url menu is really unnecessarily huge, so you can't see what the url is now:

And that kinda makes the menu useless. Where do you go to bring that font size back down to something that makes it readable?

You can scroll it though (I think it even hints at that by flashing the scrollbar for a second). I was thinking about making it a bit smaller for urls though, material guidelines be damned.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Update is great. Still occasionally getting the blank page when returning to the app, but I can't reliably recreate it anymore.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

You can scroll it though (I think it even hints at that by flashing the scrollbar for a second). I was thinking about making it a bit smaller for urls though, material guidelines be damned.

Yeah honestly I think Chrome does it the right way - the title text is tiny and URLs mostly fit on one line, or two at most

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

It's not like that's a standard dialog anyway, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the guidelines.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
OLED theme owns.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

What is the maximum number of bookmarks I can have? There's an odd chance that some of my old ones disappeared.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is the padding on the bottom of the last post if a page deliberate?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Wizard of Smart posted:

Update is great. Still occasionally getting the blank page when returning to the app, but I can't reliably recreate it anymore.

Elaborating on this, I think it happens when I'm reading a thread, go away from the app, and before I return more replies come in and make a new page. IDK if that's the trigger, but it seems to only happen in popular threads, so it's my guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kunster posted:

What is the maximum number of bookmarks I can have? There's an odd chance that some of my old ones disappeared.

I've had 6 pages of bookmarks in the past and that worked, so that's like 240? So at least that much works fine.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Kunster posted:

We just parse the forums, so just the forum limitations. For a better answer ask Radium Choochacacko Volte ZenDeathRobot

Toshimo posted:

Is the padding on the bottom of the last post if a page deliberate?

Yes. Space for the FAB and it should disappear if the FAB is disabled.

Also:

:siren:3.2.3.0woopsc::siren:
- Now actually including the changes from 3.2.3.0b

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The space is definitely present when the action button is disabled.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I still get the bug sometimes that after opening a link to the forums with the app, it will open that thread every time instead of the bookmarks. (I use the bookmarks widget instead of the app to open the app).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I was getting "loading failed" when trying to view the forums, so I tried to logout and log back in. Now it just says "login failed" when using my credentials.

Anybody having issues now?

EDIT: I found the source of the problem. I use a VPN on my phone, and whenever the VPN was connected Awful wouldnt work.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 5, 2016

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

The space is definitely present when the action button is disabled.

It appears for me in the oled theme but not the dark one

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So apparently the css for the oled theme (and only it) contains css that's supposed to be inserted somewhere else. I guess it wasn't in the past. I'm not sure at the moment what theme's css I based the oled file on. It's not even the correct spacing height. Not sure where that line is coming from. :psyduck:

I'll fix it in the next build.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sereri posted:

So apparently the css for the oled theme (and only it) contains css that's supposed to be inserted somewhere else. I guess it wasn't in the past. I'm not sure at the moment what theme's css I based the oled file on. It's not even the correct spacing height. Not sure where that line is coming from. :psyduck:

I'll fix it in the next build.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can't seem to post from the app. It sits there saying posting then just says Loading Failed. I'm on a Nexus 5x on the latest Android version. Cleared cache and restarted app, worked fine before the update.

Posting this from Chrome on my phone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Poasting from app...

Seems OK, did you try logging out and back in again?

Also when people say 'clear data' they mean data, not cache. You lose your settings but sometimes it's the only way to fix some weird state

e-actually I'm not on the latest build, I'll update and check in a bit

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 5, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I cleared data but it's still not working. This is again posted from Chrome.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Testing again

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There is a chance it's my connection I suppose but I can browse fine in Awful and Chrome and post from Chrome. I'll test on WiFi when I get home.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Is it working otherwise? Like can you see all your bookmarks, access non-public forums like uh Games subforums or whatever? Can you edit a post?

And you don't happen to have ADB installed do you (or anything that can look at logs)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
All other behaviour is fine however I can't edit either. I don't have ADB installed sorry but I guess I could?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
No complaints, just wanted to say thanks for the app. The update I pulled last night looks and works perfectly so far. Looks much more... uhh... sleek? Crisp? I dont know.

Time to go look for a donation button in the OP.

Edit: I can edit fine. Galaxy S5.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ Sereri's been doing some good work!

Red_Fred posted:

All other behaviour is fine however I can't edit either. I don't have ADB installed sorry but I guess I could?

Nah it's ok, I'm not sure if there's anything being logged that would help, right now anyway. I can't honestly see anything in the posting/network stuff that's changed recently, see how you go with the wifi?

Probably best to post here if you still have issues, just to keep this thread from troubleshooting stuff (yes I'm posting test posts all over it)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just did a test post there and it worked! Hmm...

Edit: this was from my phone so I guess it was my end. I almost ran out of credit so I guess it was that? Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Insert coin to poast