Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

WIthout spoilering much, is there an ideal "route" I may want to take? I got lost in the Jagd Forest and got murdered by the Dryads on the Moogle missions. I'm completely out of items and I don't know if I've managed to complete any more side missions. The Wildlands feels slightly tougher than I should be at right now, but they seemed better than the other two locations so I'm wondering if I'm just approaching fights wrong?

The "intended route" are the two towns and then the two side areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

WIthout spoilering much, is there an ideal "route" I may want to take? I got lost in the Jagd Forest and got murdered by the Dryads on the Moogle missions. I'm completely out of items and I don't know if I've managed to complete any more side missions. The Wildlands feels slightly tougher than I should be at right now, but they seemed better than the other two locations so I'm wondering if I'm just approaching fights wrong?

the party town is easier and you get some good garbs in the process so that's where i'd start

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Letting you know now the bosses of every other area gets stronger on day 7 (Yusnaan, the party city's boss gets even stronger on day 10) so focus on the other areas for now. The boss of the Wildlands stays the same even to the last day so you can take your time there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

DrPaper posted:

Now that Baldur's Gate has been ruined forever, what other classic CRPGs should I try out?

Fallout, Icewind Dale, Ultima, Might and Magic, Wizardry...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Just beat Atalier Shallie with Lotte and saw the two endings. That was cute :kimchi:

True Ending is best ending.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

DrPaper posted:

Now that Baldur's Gate has been ruined forever, what other classic CRPGs should I try out?

How was it ruined?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

are the two shallies as gay for each other as I assume?

I just want to play more games with romantic girl friendships

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I didn't really get that sense, but I didn't finish the game either

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

theyre just good friends. totori has some lesbian endings though so you could play that one i guess

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

theyre just good friends. totori has some lesbian endings though so you could play that one i guess

I already am although I can't say i'm a huge fan of mimi (who I am assume is totori's gay pairing)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah, shes not great. but you take what you can get i guess :shrug:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mimi is good

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Where are you in Grandia 1? I loved the first CD and thought it would be one of my all time favorite RPGs. But the story really completely died as soon as you hit the 2nd CD. Eventually after long dungeon after long dungeon with no story, I quit. First half is great. Second half is not so good.

Like I said, I'm at the desert. Which is like the third or fourth area on the second disc. I'm extra hesitant to continue with it because I know it contains not one, but two sidequest dungeons (and when you say "dungeon" in Grandia 1, that does not mean a quick 30-minute affair) that neither have anything to do with the plot. I think this might be the game's low point when it comes to story progression, it's been slowing down towards this and now has ground to a complete halt. I just have to get over the hump for the game to start being interesting again.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Justin and Feena are probably the cutest RPG couple.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Verranicus posted:

How was it ruined?
A minor NPC is trans. Gamers flipped a poo poo. While there is an argument that the character's inclusion is kind of weird and constitutes tokenism, I severely doubt that's what they're upset about. :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

the party town is easier and you get some good garbs in the process so that's where i'd start

I ran back to Luxerion and managed to get a second fire spell in the process, so great. Now it's like 4:30 and I have three out of four pass code numbers and I feel like I've basically botched the whole day but all the side quests for the holy city are done. :/

I wish I could reset time prematurely a la Majora's Mask, but maybe the deadline isn't as strict as I expect.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I ran back to Luxerion and managed to get a second fire spell in the process, so great. Now it's like 4:30 and I have three out of four pass code numbers and I feel like I've basically botched the whole day but all the side quests for the holy city are done. :/

I wish I could reset time prematurely a la Majora's Mask, but maybe the deadline isn't as strict as I expect.

Its not. You'll try to rush everything the first 3 or 4 days and then realize by day 5 you're just twiddling your thumbs for the last 20% of the things.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

DrPaper posted:

its not technically a classic but I've been playing underail recently and its basically an easier to get into fallout. The story isn't nearly as compelling but the game was translated from Russian(?) and it shows sometimes.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I already am although I can't say i'm a huge fan of mimi (who I am assume is totori's gay pairing)

She is. It's more or less confirmed in Meruru.

And yeah, Mimi had a rough landing in Totori, but I thought she improved a lot in Meruru.

voltcatfish posted:

True Ending is the gayest ending, if you want to read it that way.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I can guarantee you that unless you REALLY waste time, you will have at least three days with literally nothing to do at the end.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

A minor NPC is trans. Gamers flipped a poo poo. While there is an argument that the character's inclusion is kind of weird and constitutes tokenism, I severely doubt that's what they're upset about. :v:

The expansion feels like some lovely fanmod you would download off gamespy a decade ago and the UI is a mess. The devs hiding behind the fact that some bigots are mad over a trans character to deflect any and all criticism and deleting any negative criticism under that guise is super lovely and terrible IMO.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The expansion feels like some lovely fanmod you would download off gamespy a decade ago and the UI is a mess. The devs hiding behind the fact that some bigots are mad over a trans character to deflect any and all criticism and deleting any negative criticism under that guise is super lovely and terrible IMO.

Baldur's Gate got a recent expansion?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Baldur's Gate got a recent expansion?

Yes. Baldurs Gate 1.5

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

the guys who made the enhanced editions of the game made their own expansion that takes place between 1 and 2. Its apparently...not very well written.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Looked it up. Minsc apparently pokes fun at GG and while I appreciate the sentiment, it'd probably be best to just let that whole shitstorm die forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is this like when people were mad about the ending in ME3 and ea tried to make the conversation into 'gamers hate the fact that there's a gay npc'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

is this like when people were mad about the ending in ME3 and ea tried to make the conversation into 'gamers hate the fact that there's a gay npc'

Kind of. There's legitimately a lot of weird people being absurd shitheads about it but it's also being used to deflect legitimate criticism. There's also the case of "people overplaying issues to legitimatize their shitheadery" which muddles matters even more.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sylphid posted:

True Ending is the gayest ending, if you want to read it that way.

Good to hear! Atelier is a cute series I like a lot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Good to hear! Atelier is a cute series I like a lot.
imo the real gay couple in shallie is shallotte and wilbell

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, they didn't cut the vocal songs from the US release of Yakuza 4. Which is installing now. I'm glad of that, even if my personal fondness for Eikichi Yazawa still makes me mourn the loss of his dulcet tones in 3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

imo the real gay couple in shallie is shallotte and wilbell

That hat is stupid and I love it.

alcharagia posted:

Oh, they didn't cut the vocal songs from the US release of Yakuza 4. Which is installing now. I'm glad of that, even if my personal fondness for Eikichi Yazawa still makes me mourn the loss of his dulcet tones in 3.

I think the only thing cut from Y4 was AnswerXAnswer because all the questions were stored as textures or something.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
In the span of five hours between that post and now I got drunk and played pool, dressed an otaku up like a cowboy, lost horribly at pool, ran a man around town making him run stupid errands and get me lunch, was witness to a murder, got drunk again, and kicked roughly a hundred men in the nuts. I love Yakuza.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
And you didn't find the time to play the crane game? Shameful.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Which Atelier(s) game(s) should I play

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

Starting with the Dusk series (Ayesha, Escha & Logy and Shallie) isn't a bad idea. The other games aren't bad but those three are a really reasonable trilogy

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mr E posted:

*Deep breath* Rorona plus, Totori, Meruru, Ayesha, Escha and Logy, Shallie, Mana Khemia 1, Mana Khemia 2, Ar Tonelico 2, Sophie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mr E posted:

Ayesha is a good one to start with, because it's got the freeform time thing from the later arland games and also has the most interesting plot. plus marion is in it

it also has the best soundtrack ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxjJHdfCp_Y

e: I started with Escha and Logy though and it's what sold me on the series, so I think that's also a good choice.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 6, 2016

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Mr E posted:

I'm really enjoying Escha and Logy so far (up to assignment 3).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ImpAtom posted:

Kind of. There's legitimately a lot of weird people being absurd shitheads about it but it's also being used to deflect legitimate criticism. There's also the case of "people overplaying issues to legitimatize their shitheadery" which muddles matters even more.

Apparently the game is absolutely chock-full of memes? I dunno if that is just salty people making poo poo up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004