Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

That actor porked up wore the least convincing fatsuit in the history of visual media for one season because he was supposed to be a shiftless lazy fat gently caress during that season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
asking in the good eve thread: when were command destroyers introduced? are they any good? is the ship jump thing being used as a legit tactic?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vodkat posted:

asking in the good eve thread: when were command destroyers introduced? are they any good? is the ship jump thing being used as a legit tactic?

I forget the exact patch but iirc it was in 2016 if not then it was late 2015.

They are fun and usable in certain situations. Like booshing your fleet within range on long range enemy fleets, or loving with their logi to get them out of rep range.

You can also boosh people off a station undock preventing a redock letting you and your buddies get a gank. As well as if the enemy dudes try to crash a gate you can prevent it if you're close enough.

If you have multiple CDs, you can chain the MJD fields and launch people in quick succession which is also a pretty valid tactic people have used.

Pubbie video example where they chained two CD MJD fields to get a megathron off an undock and gank it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjvovRwVDS8

They're not super expensive and are about as much as an interdictor and take similar skills except for MJD and potentially drone skills depending on the fit.

Edit - Another vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-eaV4li3x8

Edit 2 - What I'm saying is, if you get a chance to fly them and learn how to use them well you'll have a blast. Even if it's just to go gank people in Lowsec or whatever.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 6, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
not gonna lie the ceo update on tmc makes me want to play eve

i know this is a bad idea

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
If more cool goons come back it could be a good time.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Foehammer007 posted:

not for you :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::pirate:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
So unchill friend

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
you've been owned this day :smugdog:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Foehammer007 posted:

nah the problem is that i know eve just isnt the game for me - i love the high drama and the ruthlessness of the game, but the gameplay itself bores me to tears

like watching my guns cycle for a few minutes as something dies does nothing for me :(

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Magres posted:

nah the problem is that i know eve just isnt the game for me - i love the high drama and the ruthlessness of the game, but the gameplay itself bores me to tears

like watching my guns cycle for a few minutes as something dies does nothing for me :(

I think you kind of have to find your thing? I really was never that into fleet stuff (take fleetwarp and hit f1), but flying around in an interceptor and jumping people in lowsec was pretty killer

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
nah its that im mostly an action games kinda guy these days

just like if a game generally has a time to kill above like 10 seconds against an afk opponent, it just doesnt stoke that dopamine loop in my brain

fights can totally take longer than 10s to resolve (like I actually really enjoy guild wars 2 combat because there's a lot of ways to mitigate damage and dodge each other's poo poo and heal up over time) but if someone's just afk you can generally beat them to death in just a few seconds

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you checked out EVE Valkyrie? I know it requires a VR headset and all but it's pretty sweet for an arena shooter game.

Edit - I guess you could also wait until DUST comes to the PC finally but I don't even know if CCP have a plan beyond "let's port it" at the moment.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 6, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
does DUST actually matter at all to EVE?

it'd be neat if it did and i could, in some way, contribute to the subjugation of the unwashed pubbie masses after it gets ported

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Magres posted:

does DUST actually matter at all to EVE?

it'd be neat if it did and i could, in some way, contribute to the subjugation of the unwashed pubbie masses after it gets ported

isnt dust shutting down

edit oh pc, it's gonna be called something different :iiam:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sort of. On the PS3 the battles would help affect the capture rate for the Faction Warfare systems, which use a similar mechanic to the Aegis Sov system. If say the Amarr won a bunch of battles in a specific system in DUST it'd be like 10-15% quicker for the EVE pilots to take the system. There was a bit of a coordinated effort between EVE FW and DUST FW crews a while ago that was kind of neat.

Other than that not really because CCP never got player trading etc. sorted and I think it was due to how the PS3 worked but maybe I'm wrong.

They haven't said much about how the PC version will be different but I imagine they'll be able to at least do the FW thing and maybe tie it in to sov taking like battles over stations in DUST affecting capture process. At least, that's how I'd like for it to be to some degree because that would be cool.

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

isnt dust shutting down

edit oh pc, it's gonna be called something different :iiam:

CCP had Project Legion which was announced as the DUST PC port but let the trademark slide just before WoW announced the Legion expansion was announced. I think they'll stick with the DUST 514 name since its easier for them to just recycle the marketing material but who knows.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I added an EVE text channel to the Something Awful Discord for people to hang out and chat in too if you want.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759565 if you need the server info.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This discord thing confuses me. It looks like yet another integrated chat client?
But I already have skype and jabber and trillian and icq and irc and yim and aim and steam and gchat and facebook and and :psypop:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Nietzschean posted:

This discord thing confuses me. It looks like yet another integrated chat client?
But I already have skype and jabber and trillian and icq and irc and yim and aim and steam and gchat and facebook and and :psypop:

discord is (its own) mumble and slack combined with free hosting that will Sell Stickers For Revenue, slack itself being just tarted up irc

they can both suck dicks

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Nietzschean posted:

It's basically a VOIP with IRC functions baked in. I like it because it does all the things separate programs do in one, including integrated pinging, notifications, stickying, API controls, high quality (and high user) voip support, and is endlessly customizable.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nietzschean posted:

Yeah I have the same issue but it's pretty good. I think Laz set up a discord for his Twitch chanel since they integrated Twitch connectivity but I could be wrong.

It's pretty decent but it's not really good for alliances in EVE to use as their replacement for IRC/Mumble because, as we found out, there's some security features they sort of skimp on (eg. anyone can change their name, it's a lot more susceptible to ddos, you don't get as much customization as you could doing Mumble/IRC on your own etc.).

For what Kimsemus, Lumbering Troll etc. are doing with it, it's pretty slick and works well.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Just re-subbed to take a look at how the war is turning out, then realize I moved my carrier to lowsec before I take a break, I guess I will just use subcaps.

Also, since people were talking about making isk couple pages earlier, and someone mention lowsec entities do L5 for profit, is it similar to npc null entities (like Syndicate ) as well? or do they usually do ratting? I only remember doing Mordus Legion's mission for their ships were quite lucrative back in the days, but not sure about Syndicate or other areas.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah I have the same issue but it's pretty good. I think Laz set up a discord for his Twitch chanel since they integrated Twitch connectivity but I could be wrong.

It's pretty decent but it's not really good for alliances in EVE to use as their replacement for IRC/Mumble because, as we found out, there's some security features they sort of skimp on (eg. anyone can change their name, it's a lot more susceptible to ddos, you don't get as much customization as you could doing Mumble/IRC on your own etc.).

For what Kimsemus, Lumbering Troll etc. are doing with it, it's pretty slick and works well.

I'll probably check it out then at some point while trapped on my laptop with nothing useful to do.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I posted this in the Discord chat, but awoxing in DUST was my most fondest memory.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=82328

That dude (who was some console FPS youtuber) we were loving with got really mad at us for ruining a match.

The whole method was beautiful. Basically you would join a district (sov) battle lobby and then awox during the match because you only had so many respawns during the fight. Our goal was to just grind down "our' teams respawns before the other team lost all theirs. If we did it, "our" team lost and the other side won.

We'd get a dude into a target groups corp, then when we were waiting for the match to open up the alt would be squad leader, since you could only see the lobby if you were in either corp fighting the match, and we'd have Grief University alts filling out the squad. So out of the 15 or so slots, 5 of them would be us awoxing. Someone on the DUST version of the CSM tried to coin it after themselves, which we didn't really care about and as a result the DUST community freaked out and tried to get her banned for it.

Those were the simpler days. :allears:

Edit - Another time Goons awoxed in one of those matches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIoAfecnukA

TMC article on all of it - https://www.themittani.com/news/dust-514-eve-culture-shock-and-grief-university?nopaging=1

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 6, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

wfwon posted:

Just re-subbed to take a look at how the war is turning out, then realize I moved my carrier to lowsec before I take a break, I guess I will just use subcaps.

Also, since people were talking about making isk couple pages earlier, and someone mention lowsec entities do L5 for profit, is it similar to npc null entities (like Syndicate ) as well? or do they usually do ratting? I only remember doing Mordus Legion's mission for their ships were quite lucrative back in the days, but not sure about Syndicate or other areas.

Level 5's are a REALLY great way to make isk as long as you're willing to put the time into the setup. This usually involves a carrier in every system a mission spawns in and pullers to get the right missions. The LP you get is tied to the agent corporation, I usually cash out 25-50m LP at a time since it's so easy to get so much quickly. Just depends though, as you get virtually no actual ISK for them.

Complexing by itself in lowsec can be very profitable too, and I mostly do that in an Astero.

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

what i've heard from some russian lowsec friends they did lvl 5 in tengus and gilas too.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
You do it in carriers because you want to do every mission in less than 5 mins so you can clear a few billion an hour in profits after you cash in the lp.

You can't blitz as easily in sub caps.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Foehammer007 posted:

Blackops lives friend.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

Blackops lives friend.

C-C-Can I join the Black Ops crew?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

C-C-Can I join the Black Ops crew?

:skink:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't see why not. You wouldn't be the first neutral/red in our fleet this week.

Neat. Might hit you up about that.

In the Discord chat we were talking about doing NPSI stuff whenever this war ends. I don't know what sort of problems that'd cause for the CFC/Imperium guys but I know for the most part in PL we don't care so long as you're not hitting friendly stuff, eg. a tower or w/e. I'd imagine it'd be the same for you guys.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Denis posted:

what i've heard from some russian lowsec friends they did lvl 5 in tengus and gilas too.

You can but this exponentially increases your chance of dying because of the time it takes to clear the missions, and it dramatically slows down your isk/hour. Headshotting with carriers with a proper setup clears over a bil/hour, in a subcap like a tengu, it would probably be more like 100-200m optimistically. A Vargur can still clear them relatively quickly though with the right setup and clear 300m or more, but you're much more vulnerable. To my knowledge most of the "good" l5 hubs are squarely in the space of larger lowsec entities.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Oh man I miss starting at Malediction butt and probing Empire for idiot haulers on wardec.

Roughly what's the Plex cost for an Interceptors 5 guy and a dozen or so ships?

Yes I haven't played in a decade and gave "Bobcats" away.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Bobcats posted:

Oh man I miss starting at Malediction butt and probing Empire for idiot haulers on wardec.

dont, save yourself

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobcats posted:

Injectors start at 500k SP each and go for 630 million ISK (about half a PLEX) each currently. To just get into a Malediction hull from scratch on an Amarr character, it's a little over 1 million SP which is around 1 PLEX, though it might just require 2 PLEX because it goes over a little bit.

That's not including the module skills needed though so depending on your fit it'll vary what the total SP needed is. Also keep in mind CCP made it so that after 5million SP your injectors start to give you less SP each.

quote:

< 5 million total skillpoints = 500,000 skillpoints per injector
5 million – 50 million total skillpoints = 400,000 skillpoints per injector
50 million – 80 million total skillpoints = 300,000 skillpoints per injector
> 80 million skillpoints = 150k skillpoints per injector

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Unfunny Poster posted:

Neat. Might hit you up about that.

In the Discord chat we were talking about doing NPSI stuff whenever this war ends. I don't know what sort of problems that'd cause for the CFC/Imperium guys but I know for the most part in PL we don't care so long as you're not hitting friendly stuff, eg. a tower or w/e. I'd imagine it'd be the same for you guys.

The Miniluv/Code blue shooting rules work well enough for me.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CommonShore posted:

The Miniluv/Code blue shooting rules work well enough for me.

dont shoot blues, unless you dont know they're blue :ms:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dont shoot blues, unless you dont know they're blue :ms:

With the added corollary that it's ok to be part of a fleet that kills blues if you don't actually cycle your guns on the blue. And that if the blues start attacking your fleet members you can protect your fleet members.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
the first thing you said falls directly under "dont shoot blues" because, you know, you didn't shoot them and the second one is very much a "discretion advised" thing that i wouldn't tell anyone to defend loving code from fcon or whatever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the first thing you said falls directly under "dont shoot blues" because, you know, you didn't shoot them and the second one is very much a "discretion advised" thing that i wouldn't tell anyone to defend loving code from fcon or whatever

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

With the added corollary that it's ok to be part of a fleet that kills blues if you don't actually cycle your guns on the blue. And that if the blues start attacking your fleet members you can protect your fleet members.

"Oh no I assigned my drones to this neutral and he killed an rear end in a top hat while I was up taking a poo poo, that guy talking in fleet was my cat."

• Locked thread