Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Previa_fun posted:

I'll be vacationing with the girlfriend and some friends on Dauphin Island in may.

Better get there before the fucker washes away in a few years. I was there last year and it's going fast.

I'm not in LA, but in the Montgomery area. All of the heat, none of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

Meh, I think I'll give it a pass for now. Tbh I wasnt too invested in the characters or the setting but I enjoyed it as a simple adventure story that could be taken at face value.

I find a lot of earlier sci-fi stuff suffers when it's used only as a vehicle for social commentary and it makes for laborious reading, so it was refreshing that dune wasnt like that, or rather if it was it could be largely ignored

You might try reading some of the warhammer 40k's horus heresy stuff. Alot of it is pretty low brow, but still entertaining from a "space marines running around shooting stuff" perspective.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I figure there's a lot of sci-fi nerds itt so I'll ask this question here. Having just read Dune, are any of the other books in the series worth reading?

Dune Messiah is decent enough. Children of Dune starts getting weird as gently caress but the beginnings of the Golden Path is cool as hell Leto II when he gets his sandfish armour is loving kick rear end

God Emperor ..... ummmm...... read it once. Not great.

Heritics of Dune - some great concepts, loving lousy writing. Some like it, I didnt.

Just do not go any further. Do not read anything else either a prequel or sequel to Heritics. They are dire, Kevin J Anderson should not write another single fuckign word

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dune Messiah is decent enough. Children of Dune starts getting weird as gently caress but the beginnings of the Golden Path is cool as hell Leto II when he gets his sandfish armour is loving kick rear end

God Emperor ..... ummmm...... read it once. Not great.

Heritics of Dune - some great concepts, loving lousy writing. Some like it, I didnt.

Just do not go any further. Do not read anything else either a prequel or sequel to Heritics. They are dire, Kevin J Anderson should not write another single fuckign word

The Sci-Fi mini series was pretty good, original Dune is by far my favorite book. Ian McNiece made an excellent Baron

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The Sci-Fi mini series was pretty good, original Dune is by far my favorite book. Ian McNiece made an excellent Baron

Never seen the mini-series. I *hated* the David Lynch movie - until I understood that a movie does not have to be book perfect. poo poo is still weird as gently caress but looked at by itself it's a hell of a movie.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The guy training me got called out to an emergency outage early this morning so I have nothing to do until he gets back (whenever that is). I asked my boss what he wants me to do and he said to just hang out. :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Never seen the mini-series. I *hated* the David Lynch movie - until I understood that a movie does not have to be book perfect. poo poo is still weird as gently caress but looked at by itself it's a hell of a movie.

Yeah, I was not a fan of the David Lynch movie. It was awful and didn't do the book justice.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Elmnt80 posted:

You might try reading some of the warhammer 40k's horus heresy stuff. Alot of it is pretty low brow, but still entertaining from a "space marines running around shooting stuff" perspective.

Lol I don't think i could deign to read anything with a warhammer logo on the cover

If I want something deliciously low brow I usually go for some alternate history

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lol I don't think i could deign to read anything with a warhammer logo on the cover

If I want something deliciously low brow I usually go for some alternate history

Have you read any Neal Stephenson books yet? He seems to be a real love/hate type author, but he hits the right notes for my geeky-type sci-fi fix. Anathem and Seveneves in particular are great "what if" and/or "holy poo poo, we're hosed" stories. I've just finished Seveneves, and it was one hell of a ride. If you decide to read it, don't spoil anything for yourself, you absolutely need to go in blind. And if you haven't read them yet, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age are cyperpunk classics.

Another great author that's admittedly more towards weird-fi than outright sci-fi is China Miéville. Perdido Street Station is one of my favorite books ever.

And if you don't mind bamboo and clockwork rather than electronics and robotics, Paolo Bacigalupi's debut novel The Windup Girl is amazing, too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GG there's Warhammer 40K books? WHY?????

Right now I'm reading David Eddings The Elumium series. Not because its good but because Sparhawk is just such a ridiculously over the top unstoppable murder machine - plus reading a real book is just such a nice way to unwind the brain. TBH I should dig out my copy of Lord of the Rings

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I would reallllllllllllllly love to have seen this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

some texas redneck posted:

a cousin is looking for names for a dog she's adopting. One of the suggested names? Bucephalus. :stonkhat:

That would be cruel. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG there's Warhammer 40K books? WHY?????

Right now I'm reading David Eddings The Elumium series. Not because its good but because Sparhawk is just such a ridiculously over the top unstoppable murder machine - plus reading a real book is just such a nice way to unwind the brain. TBH I should dig out my copy of Lord of the Rings

People like fantasizing about a dark dystopian future?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Well let's see here...

TerribleRobot and I hang out a bunch since he's in redneckistan close-ish to the RVA compound. He's always privy to goony poo poo at my place and has been around forever.

AcidRonin's in DC and skylineboy08 is in Yorktown. We both hang out a bunch but we know eachother more through eve (and our weird kik/whatsapp/telegram chat thing) than AI.

InitialDave came by the RVA compound on his trip to the USA. He brought me a bunch of delicious English microbrews and some awesome orange soda called Irn Bru or something like that.

iForge and I go back a ways too. He's up in Wilmington, DE. He comes down to help on stuff and has the twin of my Comanche. We drove up to Maine and back together and he's one cool dude. I met him at alternate.eago's place and he sold me Jormungandr.

Astonishing WangNitrospazzz? stopped by the RVA compound once on a road trip buying his M5, and we got wasted and played Spintires and Homeworld with TerribleRobot and iForge.

SlowIsFast came through my neck of the woods on a road trip, and we pressed in bushings for TerribleRobot's Forester at the RVA compound.

chrisgt and Frankenstein (I forget his forum name but that's what he goes by on IRC) I met at SlowIsFast's rally team at NEFR and we had a shitload of fun replacing 2 subaru engines.

kastein I met on that same trip, and towed half of his parts Justy through Massachusetts.

Met a shitload of you at NEAI last year, including Holdbrooks where I filmed his Warboy scene.

Wrar brought his baller BMW around the RVA compound and we did some suspension poo poo to it.

sharkytm dropped an australian's van off at the RVA compound and we hung out for a couple nights with TerribleRobot.

literallyafish I haven't technically met yet, but he's staying at my place for like 6 weeks at the end of the summer and his van's been sitting at the RVA compound.

Larrymer I met this past weekend driving the Gorester back from Grand Rapids to RVA. He bought me lunch and his wife made me cookies :3: Super cool dude.

Bucephalus I see in the bushes every now and then.

I think that's all the AI goons. There's another list like that for eve goons that have won eve for the most part. Weirdly enough, every single goon interaction has been positive. Y'alls good people :peanut:

I miss anybody?

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 6, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

Have you read any Neal Stephenson books yet? He seems to be a real love/hate type author, but he hits the right notes for my geeky-type sci-fi fix. Anathem and Seveneves in particular are great "what if" and/or "holy poo poo, we're hosed" stories. I've just finished Seveneves, and it was one hell of a ride. If you decide to read it, don't spoil anything for yourself, you absolutely need to go in blind. And if you haven't read them yet, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age are cyperpunk classics.

Another great author that's admittedly more towards weird-fi than outright sci-fi is China Miéville. Perdido Street Station is one of my favorite books ever.

And if you don't mind bamboo and clockwork rather than electronics and robotics, Paolo Bacigalupi's debut novel The Windup Girl is amazing, too.

Interesting recommendations, I'll look into it. Though I probably won't get around to any of them for a while cuz i usually like to alternate between fiction and non-fiction and ive been told I need to have read or be reading johnathan franzen's latest book by the time i visit my sister next month so we can talk about it :shrug:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I breifly met Micromancer, he seemed like a swell guy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Larrymer I met this past weekend driving the Gorester back from Grand Rapids to RVA. He bought me lunch and his wife made me cookies :3: Super cool dude

:)

I've only met Adiabatic, as many know he's a good dude. I have no intention of meeting TT based on his posting, lol. If I see him at some point I will try my hardest to not be a dick, though. PaintVagrant is in the area, not sure about anybody else in Detroit.

I don't have interesting cars anymore and about as close I get to car fun is iRacing at this point. :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Previa_fun posted:

I'll be vacationing with the girlfriend and some friends on Dauphin Island in may.

Eh, if you haven't already paid for your tickets, I'd talk you out of it. It's fun for a day trip but I would send you to Orange Beach or Pensacola; though I think May might be the start of the tourist season and thus $$$. There is a kick rear end burger joint on DI though. Or was up until last year.

If you're into people watching, it will be fun. Born and raised in Alabama, and I somewhat like my state despite its loads of wasted potential, but man...the natives...can be interesting.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh man, I was down there for vacation last year, should've asked if there was any goons around.

Yup, you should have

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The only goon, AI or otherwise I've met was T1g. I drove up to his corner of bumblefuck arkansas on the way back from texas a few years ago and we cruised around checking out the nature trails and the like. Then I got him blackout drunk on leftover whiskey from texas while watching top gear. Good times. Between texas and florida, I've never seen anything approaching mountains, so it felt like I was driving through the himilayas to get there.

Met an eve person earlier that same day for lunch, was also a cool dude.

Overall, all of my meeting random internet nerds has been pretty chill. And if it feels weird, just say gently caress it and crack open a bottle. Makes everything better.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dune is great, Messiah and Children are OK, the rest are skippable but if you finished the first 3 you're probably invested enough to finish the series.

Do not touch anything written by the son.

Somebody mentioned Stephenson. I liked Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash and Anathem, and I managed to finish System of the World (massive trilogy), but there's something about his writing style that rubs me the wrong way. When I started reading the sample chapter of Seveneves, I got a few hundred words in, said "Oh gently caress this", and closed it. So if you don't like his stuff, well, I can see it. Try "The Big U" if you get a chance, it's a very early book of his, it's short, and it's different from a lot of his later efforts.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I love Dune, enjoyed the next two books but stopped there. I'll pick it up again one of these days...

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Astonishing WangNitrospazzz? stopped by the RVA compound once on a road trip buying his M5, and we got wasted and played Spintires and Homeworld with TerribleRobot and iForge.?

I'm just happy to be mentioned :shobon:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm just happy to be mentioned :shobon:

TELL ME IF I'VE MET YOU DAMNIT :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Quoting poo poo from way back but oh well I've been busy.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Get yourself some Kroil for next time. PB Blaster is barely better than WD40.
Kroil is great for working with rust-hosed vehicles. If you can treat it for a few days before working on it you'll be even better off. I keep a bottle of K&W Knock 'er Loose around as well, works great as Elmnt80 mentioned.

literally a fish posted:

If any of you remember the time lapse test thing I did in mid-February, I've made it a youtube channel and posted all months up to March now;
Here's march;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A680uCliB-E
Yes!

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3gZISoOUV8
IT WORKS! IT loving WORKS! I'm so loving ecstatic!
Blinker fluid looks low, might want to top that off asap.

CommieGIR posted:

HAHA. No, if you are IT, you'd better be reachable at all times and all places.
My company is pretty drat good about leaving you along on vacation for the most part but I still need to be available in case something comes up. Plus even if the guys I directly work with know I'm out all the other sites I offer occasional support to and the various customers that call me for questions don't really care. Dad and I were joking about this a couple years ago sitting on a dive boat in the Cayman islands, less than an hour later both of us had been called.

Noise Complaint posted:

NEAI 2016 is gonna have some lawnmower races if I have my way, however.
Found the thread, that weekend is free. I might have to do a road trip, wonder if I can find another car up there...

Adiabatic posted:

Astonishing WangNitrospazzz? stopped by the RVA compound once on a road trip buying his M5, and we got wasted and played Spintires and Homeworld with TerribleRobot and iForge.
I met this goon, he gave me booze and a place to sleep. AI/CA and TFR goons have all been good.
Speaking of that anyone in the Los Angeles area? Looks like I'm doing a long weekend and will have 8-5 free on Saturday the 16th.

This last week has been stupid busy. Customer support Thursday and Friday, music festival type thing in town all weekend, track day Monday then monster maintenance yesterday followed by pint night because we flew in people to help. Today after work I'm going home and I'm just going to crash for a few hours.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Colorado Ski Trip after action report:

Only busted my rear end a couple dozen times. Feeling my age, that's for sure. All you women in Colorado need to seriously start wearing some sunblock and facial moisturizer. 20 year olds look like they're 60.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SWAI: Nobody wants to drive to Albuquerque, and my MG might not make it anywhere else :smith:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sad but also a great thread title

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nobody wants to drive to Albuquerque

That left turn is poorly marked.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I don't think anybody's recommended the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons yet, but those would fit the bill admirably.

There's also C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union stuff (and there's a LOT of it) that can be pretty fun to read.

Or perhaps you would be interested in Larry Niven? Ringworld is great and The Ringworld Engineers is also good. Or there's the stuff he did with Pournelle like Lucifer's Hammer or The Mote in God's Eye.

And then there's Heinlein. A lot of his stuff is just plain action-y.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Magnus Praeda posted:

I don't think anybody's recommended the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons yet, but those would fit the bill admirably.

Yeah, the Hyperion and Endymion books are OK, as are Ilium and Olympos.

Just stay away from his website and stuff, he's a bit of a right-wing zionist conspiracy theorist nutter. Not nearly as bad as Orson Scott Card, but still. Once you know, it's hard to ignore the subtext about jews and the global caliphate etc.

As he puts it himself: "The one constant thread between today and a thousand years from now will be that someone, somewhere, will be planning to kill the Jews", and that's one of his more sane statements on the subject.

Now, I don't mind this at all in the context of the books, you have to have some good guys and some bad guys. You just have to know that he literally believes a lot of this stuff in real life.

And the less said about Heinlein's political views, the better.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 6, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Magnus Praeda posted:

And then there's Heinlein. A lot of his stuff is just plain action-y.

It's going to be a while before I can trust Heinlein enough to read another one of his books. Perhaps it's not representative of the rest of his work but Stranger in a Strange Land was one of the most disappointing books I've read.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

It's going to be a while before I can trust Heinlein enough to read another one of his books. Perhaps it's not representative of the rest of his work but Stranger in a Strange Land was one of the most disappointing books I've read.

Also rampant misogyny.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Pham Nuwen posted:

SWAI: Nobody wants to drive to Albuquerque, and my MG might not make it anywhere else :smith:

SWAI: Getting together in the winter because otherwise it is too hot.

Maybe you need to do whatever can be done to get your MG to Arizona? There are a few LA goons, I'm in Palm Springs, and there is a couple goons in AZ. What I'm saying is AZ would be right in the middle.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, the Hyperion and Endymion books are OK, as are Ilium and Olympos.

Just stay away from his website and stuff, he's a bit of a right-wing zionist conspiracy theorist nutter. Not nearly as bad as Orson Scott Card, but still. Once you know, it's hard to ignore the subtext about jews and the global caliphate etc.

As he puts it himself: "The one constant thread between today and a thousand years from now will be that someone, somewhere, will be planning to kill the Jews", and that's one of his more sane statements on the subject.

Now, I don't mind this at all in the context of the books, you have to have some good guys and some bad guys. You just have to know that he literally believes a lot of this stuff in real life.

And the less said about Heinlein's political views, the better.

If there's one thing about SF authors that seems more rule than exception, it's that they hold pretty extreme views politically and socially. I've always kinda had to pretend that poo poo doesn't exist unless I planned on writing an essay about it.

Wrar posted:

Also rampant misogyny.

So, SO rampant. Dude was an MRA before MRA's were even born. But the stuff like Tunnel in the Sky and Have Spacesuit, Will Travel keep it mostly in the background.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Wasn't my favorite of his, either, but I enjoyed the crap out of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Magnus Praeda posted:

If there's one thing about SF authors that seems more rule than exception, it's that they hold pretty extreme views politically and socially. I've always kinda had to pretend that poo poo doesn't exist unless I planned on writing an essay about it.

Yeah, I dunno if there even is a middle ground. Neal Stephenson seems kinda balanced, although extremely geeky in weird ways.

And China Miéville is a hardcore socialist/marxist. But then again, so am I. So I'm OK with it, but I'm sure some people dislike him for that.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I dunno if there even is a middle ground. Neal Stephenson seems kinda balanced, although extremely geeky in weird ways.

And China Miéville is a hardcore socialist/marxist. But then again, so am I. So I'm OK with it, but I'm sure some people dislike him for that.

And Orson Scott Card.... ugh

Edit oops he's already been mentioned but it bears repeating ugh ugh ugh

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I really enjoyed the Elenium series by Eddings. Just a good fun read, and I always enjoy Eddings characters for whatever reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

And Orson Scott Card.... ugh

Edit oops he's already been mentioned but it bears repeating ugh ugh ugh

*shudders* That pretentious prick can eat a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You guys know way too much about all these authors. I judge authors solely on whether I like their books. I haven't got a clue what any of them believe politically, and really don't care.

As for Orson Scott Card, he wrote one good book, and everything else I've ever tried to read from him was complete garbage, so that's how I judge him.

I tend to like the simpler sci-fi, like the Berserker stuff from Saberhagen, the Bolo's by Keith Laumer, most all of David Weber's stuff, Tom Kratman and even John Ringo, although he gets pretty strange with some of his stuff (the Paladin series for sure). John Scalzi's stuff is pretty great, and I've always liked David Drake and S.M. Stirling.

To share my true sci-fi/fantasy geekiness, this is what the back half of my office/computer room looks like:

That's probably half or less of what I actually have. I might have a problem.

• Locked thread