Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Forgotten Realms, has weighed in on the controversy. His response, summarized, is "it's absurd to think half-elves are acceptable and not trans people."

Facebook is a horrible website to link poo poo from, but he also talks about his experiences with gender diversity as a writer in another post after that one if you click through to his profile. There's a discussion there between him and Jennell Jaquays, the only trans FR designer I'm aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, specifically in BG1, Bards don't get poo poo as far as equipment goes, which was one reason why I recommended against them for a trilogy playthrough. The BG1 NPC Project gives Garrick a quest that drops some armor at least (I made Garrick a Blade once, it was pretty good), but apart from that you're looking at either lovely AC Bracers (and losing that inventory slot) or armor spells (and losing at least one of your few spell slots).

Amulet of shield, nashkel carnival.

insanityv2 posted:

ALSO ALSO I always, always, always pop an invis potion and sneak past Karoug, grab the bastard sword and dagger, sneak all the way back down, then do the entire north half of werewolf island. Its so dumb that they giv eyou that sword AFTER karoug.

You can get 2 bastard swords +3 vs shapeshifters before going to the island. The first is a drop for killing Aldeth in Cloakwood 1, or for helping him in Baldur's Gate if you defended him. The second one is in Ulgoth's Beard, in some random commoner's house.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Icewind Dale has made BG1 feel easy to me, I think it's time to turn the difficulty up.

Not that the mods are helping, considering that I just cleaned out the Nashkel mines and due to some encounters with enemies with some very nice gear that I sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of 18,000 gp, my character has full plate armor, a +1 heavy shield, and Varscona +2, Imoen has the +3 shadow armor, Edwin has elven chain mail, Branwen has a +3 warhammer (ordinary +3, not a unique), and Kivan has a +1 composite bow. My party is yet another paladin/Imoen/Minsc/Branwen/Kivan/Edwin.

This time I got an unbelievable roll at character creation and got 18/42 STR, 16 DEX, and 17 CON, 11 INT, and minimum paladin WIS and CHA scores for a total of 94.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 6, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Woolie Wool posted:

Icewind Dale has made BG1 feel easy to me, I think it's time to turn the difficulty up.

Not that the mods are helping, considering that I just cleaned out the Nashkel mines and due to some encounters with enemies with some very nice gear that I sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of 18,000 gp, my character has full plate armor, a +1 heavy shield, and Varscona +2, Imoen has the +3 shadow armor, Edwin has elven chain mail, Branwen has a +3 warhammer (ordinary +3, not a unique), and Kivan has a +1 composite bow. My party is yet another paladin/Imoen/Minsc/Branwen/Kivan/Edwin.

This time I got an unbelievable roll at character creation and got 18/42 STR, 16 DEX, and 17 CON, 11 INT, and minimum paladin WIS and CHA scores for a total of 94.

Have SCS? :D

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Forgotten Realms, has weighed in on the controversy. His response, summarized, is "it's absurd to think half-elves are acceptable and not trans people."

:yeah: Ed Greenwood is pretty cool as a person, by and large.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Vikar Jerome posted:

aw yea, gonna throw that poo poo on my sorcerer and enjoy 28 magic missiles.

wait, will it be 28? does it double the the already doubled or just adds another 7 on?

The one in SoD is a different item so you can wear it with the other Ring of Wizardry which you couldn't do originally. It doubles the already doubled spells.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

quote:

Removes the two most idiotic things I've ever seen in a cRPG.
There are way more than two dumb Irenicus scenes in this game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

:yeah: Ed Greenwood is pretty cool as a person, by and large.

I had no idea what Ed Greenwood looked like so I looked him up and well that sure as gently caress is a man who looks like an old wizard. And of course he does, like why did I even bother googling that when it's just so obvious this was going to be the answer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Veib posted:

I had no idea what Ed Greenwood looked like so I looked him up and well that sure as gently caress is a man who looks like an old wizard. And of course he does, like why did I even bother googling that when it's just so obvious this was going to be the answer.

The thing to understand about Ed Greenwood is that he greatly, greatly enjoys entertaining people. He's an amazing storyteller, but he does that a lot so he can entertain people. So yes, he looks like a wizard, but not for the usual old nerd going to pot reasons. He does it because he enjoys entertaining people as a wizard, and as Santa, and so forth and so on. He likes being a wizard because wizards are cool and that makes people happy. That's why.

There's this amazing picture in a roleplaying book where he's basically mugging for the camera as a "master of magic." He's wearing a metal gauntlet and holding some dice and he's just beaming ear to ear, his eyes twinkling. You laugh, and you can tell that's the response he's going for. It's camp, and that's fun, and just let down your hair and enjoy it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bobfly posted:

Am I correct in assuming that basically no mods work with this new expansion yet?

I got some mods working by installing BG:EE into a different directory from the old one (I renamed the old one first, so it re-created it) and then downloaded and installed mods. Some mods (BG Tweek) required a beta version. Parts of other mods failed to install, but didn't cause issues in game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

The thing to understand about Ed Greenwood is that he greatly, greatly enjoys entertaining people. He's an amazing storyteller, but he does that a lot so he can entertain people. So yes, he looks like a wizard, but not for the usual old nerd going to pot reasons. He does it because he enjoys entertaining people as a wizard, and as Santa, and so forth and so on. He likes being a wizard because wizards are cool and that makes people happy. That's why.

There's this amazing picture in a roleplaying book where he's basically mugging for the camera as a "master of magic." He's wearing a metal gauntlet and holding some dice and he's just beaming ear to ear, his eyes twinkling. You laugh, and you can tell that's the response he's going for. It's camp, and that's fun, and just let down your hair and enjoy it.

I thought he was going to be a beanie nerd, but that man is a national treasure. I would aspire to such a glorious beard one day.

I wanna discuss some of the improvements that SoD have made to Baldur's Gate, because holy crap, they are so glorious it is a shame it gets drowned in pretty much everything else. The wonderful map zooming where particle effects are still playing, the inventory management made so much better, the statistics breakdown of weapons, the new spell books which are a marked improvement on the old (imo, opinion may vary naturally) and the way dual-wielding or using shields can now be done even with a bow on another item slot, that all the buttons on the toolbar are tied to function keys meaning it is easier to spam lockpicking for once, rotating quicksaves, new portrait system (the old one was such shite in a way), quick loot button, bless that thing, and all of the small things you can click on and off to tailor your experience, this really makes this game out to be the definitive way to play Baldur's Gate for me right now.

And it's just amazing to me that we're getting a brand new 2nd edition AD&D game in 2016. Yet no sight of any 4th or 5th edition games.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

New UI mod for SoD. No one's ported this loving thing over to bg2 yet but i hope they do before i finish SoD because my BG blood is pumping and i'm going straight into that.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-widescreen-gui-tweaks

the spell menus are a bit poo poo though, too much wasted space for my liking.

Once I can get an EET install with this UI mod I'm going to play the poo poo out of this.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if you want a 4th ed game just play wow or any of its clones.
edit: also i think its too soon to expect 5th ed games.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 6, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Iretep posted:

No, Sword Coast Legends already came by and crashed and burned. It was badly designed, poorly balanced, and just overall terrible. In other words, it was the perfect 5e game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Iretep posted:

Ah, someone who's never played D&D or WoW.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Iretep posted:

Daggerdale was the only 4th edition game I know of any nothing like wow at all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

I just want XCOM with swords, why is that so hard?

Arivia posted:

No, Sword Coast Legends already came by and crashed and burned. It was badly designed, poorly balanced, and just overall terrible. In other words, it was the perfect 5e game.
"Man, those Infinity Engine games sure were popular. Let's make a game nothing like them or even in their spirit."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I would enjoy a short joke DnD videogame where every time you are about to enter combat with some foe who is causing trouble for the land someone like Elminster or Drizzt shows up to save the day and your party gets more and more frustrated.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

I would enjoy a short joke DnD videogame where every time you are about to enter combat with some foe who is causing trouble for the land someone like Elminster or Drizzt shows up to save the day and your party gets more and more frustrated.

Your brief sentence would be more fun than the game could hope to be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Good news! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms:_Demon_Stone

@Mordaedil: XCom with swords would have been great. Temple of Elemental Evil plays a bit like that, for what it's worth. There were very few 4e computer games because the license was tied up in litigation with Atari, sadly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

@Mordaedil: XCom with swords would have been great. Temple of Elemental Evil plays a bit like that, for what it's worth. There were very few 4e computer games because the license was tied up in litigation with Atari, sadly.

Every time I try to play ToEE, I think it's the interface that kills it for me. Or something like it. I have a hard time sitting down with it for extended periods of time despite loving certain things about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's extremely weird to me that there have been no D&D games that play like Shadowrun Returns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There is that F2P online game Card Hunters which is basically 4e.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's probably because modern RPGs are single character focused, with Group interaction and tactics being a distant second concern. I mean, even something like Dragon age or mass Effect, where you do have a group, pretty clearly are supposed to be played by controlling one character at a time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

e X posted:

It's probably because modern RPGs are single character focused, with Group interaction and tactics being a distant second concern. I mean, even something like Dragon age or mass Effect, where you do have a group, pretty clearly are supposed to be played by controlling one character at a time.

More money in cross platform games!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's extremely weird to me that there have been no D&D games that play like Shadowrun Returns.

I tried Shadowrun Returns and the game refused to let me cast spells even though they were sitting there taunting me in the UI, looking like all the world like a castable spell in literally any other RPG, so I never made it past the first mission.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I tried Shadowrun Returns and the game refused to let me cast spells even though they were sitting there taunting me in the UI, looking like all the world like a castable spell in literally any other RPG, so I never made it past the first mission.
It doesn't have a great UI.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Every time I try to play ToEE, I think it's the interface that kills it for me. Or something like it. I have a hard time sitting down with it for extended periods of time despite loving certain things about it.

It's a great game once you patch it. The problem is that the only interface is the third arm of accrued knowledge from playing 3e D&D to death. It has a much steeper, tougher learning curve than any Infinity Engine game. (Unless you're like an absolute idiot who insists on playing a game on the hardest setting and starts their very first game of Icewind Dale on Heart of Fury with level 1 characters.)

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I wanna discuss some of the improvements that SoD have made to Baldur's Gate, because holy crap, they are so glorious it is a shame it gets drowned in pretty much everything else. The wonderful map zooming where particle effects are still playing, the inventory management made so much better, the statistics breakdown of weapons, the new spell books which are a marked improvement on the old (imo, opinion may vary naturally) and the way dual-wielding or using shields can now be done even with a bow on another item slot, that all the buttons on the toolbar are tied to function keys meaning it is easier to spam lockpicking for once, rotating quicksaves, new portrait system (the old one was such shite in a way), quick loot button, bless that thing, and all of the small things you can click on and off to tailor your experience, this really makes this game out to be the definitive way to play Baldur's Gate for me right now.

These changes are all present in the original campaign if I buy the expansion right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think WotC have ever understood how video games work, really. It's the only reason I can think of.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mordaedil posted:

that all the buttons on the toolbar are tied to function keys meaning it is easier to spam lockpicking for once

Not arguing about the others, but this has always been the case

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

LibbyM posted:

These changes are all present in the original campaign if I buy the expansion right?

Those changes are all present as long as you own the Enhanced Editions (though I don't think the patch for Icewind Dale is out yet). No need to buy the campaign (though I'd generally recommend it, it's pretty good content).

By the way, is there something I'm not getting about the (end of SoD spoilers)the Belhifet fight? As far as I can tell, I've been thorough when searching for loot and equipment and yet I simply don't seem to have weapons capable of hurting him. I tried to cheese him by casting Haste over the Shining Lady and letting her do the dirty work while I clean up the adds, but he seems to like to target my own characters. Only strategy that seems to work is Lower Resistances + a barrage of spells, but every time he realizes he's targeted by a caster he uses that weird insta-invisibility spell he has.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LibbyM posted:

Yes, I haven't actually played the DLC itself yet, and it reinvigorated the game for me. I still don't have my Steam key though because I bought the collector's edition for that gorgeous cloth map.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

I hope everyone is having a good time. We have a bugfix patch coming soon. Sorry if we broke your game.

I wish we weren't getting review spiked but oh well life sucks and is infinitely terrible~

My whining and complaining was just that, bought the game last night and cant wait to play it in 1-3 years when I get all my runs done with BG1. I really enjoyed the EE experience and think you guys did a great job in general. loving with nerd nostalgia is an unwinable thing I think. I would buy pretty much any IE stuff you guys would ever put out.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"People being really impolite to women" isn't particularly unrealistic :v:

If more women could cast spells and carried swords things might be different.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I just want XCOM with swords, why is that so hard?

Well, there is The Storm Guard currently walking that slow road of Early Access---though to say it wears homage to Game of Thrones on the sleeve would be an understatement~

http://store.steampowered.com/app/409910

But yeah, this is surely an under served backdrop given It Just Works.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's actually tempting.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MrL_JaKiri posted:

More money in cross platform games!

Yeah, I guess controller don't really allow for in depth group tactics. But I think it is a real loss for the genre. Maybe it's just that I am generally not a fan of Biowares approach to RPGs, but their games just seem to have so much less depth. Adapting 2nd ed. D&D rules basically straight up led to a lot of weird things in the game, but also to a lot of variety. It's probably also that they had a preexisting setting with a ton of content, but there are just so many different enemy types, spells, classes and abilities that you can discover that make the game so much more exciting,

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

LibbyM posted:

I think everything's there except for the sweet black interface skin with the nice sans serif font. I'd have paid :20bux: just for that. The layout really isn't any different from the base game but it looks so much better and cleaner than that blue atrocity.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Veib posted:

Hah, was about to post exactly this. I might rock the wizard style myself when I hit that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

I hope everyone is having a good time. We have a bugfix patch coming soon. Sorry if we broke your game.

I wish we weren't getting review spiked but oh well life sucks and is infinitely terrible~

I know this isn't really representative or advisable in normal terms, but a friend of mine who works at Sony in UK decided to buy a copy now immediately because of this controversy instead of waiting until a sale.

Wish we could do something about review bombing, but this is the year a goat is being elected president of the mightiest nation, so...