Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Watch Turn-A, which is still the best full-length Gundam series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

NikkolasKing posted:

Thee last ten episodes of SEED were outstanding. Some of the most enjoyable stuff I've ever seen in Gundam.

I don't remember any of the stuff before this, though. No wait, I remember
ATHRUN!? ATHRUN ZALA?!
ATHRUN!? ATHRUN ZALA?!
ATHRUN!? ATHRUN ZALA?!
[repeat about fifty more times]

KIRA!? KIRA YAMATO?!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Logicblade posted:

KIRA!? KIRA YAMATO?!

Kira Yah-Mah-Toe!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Watch Turn-A, which is still the best full-length Gundam series.

Loran is a really solid protagonist, too. He actually sells not killing people in a war without feeling like an idealistic idiot or a holier-than-thou prick.

Honestly, Loran's probably the most mature and responsible person ever to pilot a Gundam.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
G reco and unicorn are the only gundam series I started to watch seriously and never saw the ending , or was tempted to.

Closest after that was probably 08th ms team because the romance subplot became the main focus into high ger.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

When SEED is firing on all cylinders it is probably one of the best Gundam shows. Problem with that comes from the fact it can't keep it together for a good chunk of the show. Combine that with the fact that Destiny starts incredibly strong then not only salts the earth, but also retroactively kills any good will the original left and you have one of the most heated topics in the franchise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

When SEED is firing on all cylinders it is probably one of the best Gundam shows. Problem with that comes from the fact it can't keep it together for a good chunk of the show. Combine that with the fact that Destiny starts incredibly strong then not only salts the earth, but also retroactively kills any good will the original left and you have one of the most heated topics in the franchise.

It never, ever stops being ugly as gently caress, though.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Oh yeah, no that art style has aged poorly and the HD remaster didnt help.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheManSeries posted:

When SEED is firing on all cylinders it is probably one of the best Gundam shows.

No, not even then. SEED's best is okay at best when compared to actually good anime. The original is the very definiton of mediocre and unoriginal and the sequel is just plain terrible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Early digipaint really made a lot of shows from that era age terribly wrt visuals.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SEED and GSD had great music. I suspect that they might have spent too much on it along with an All Star cast of voice actors.

It had very good MS designs making it very easy to identify which suit was doing what especially compared to IBO where any suit that isn't Baratos just blends into each other. I am pretty forgiving of the art as it isn't fair to compare it to today's standards. It was more than adequate for the time, real shame with the recycled footage though.

SEED's plot was pretty straight forward with limitations they had to overcome with a bit of cleverness. It does drag a bit when they get to Earth only to pick up again at Joshua/Battle of ORB/Kira and Athrun battle. The fights on most part had a reason to happen. Freedom and Providence is great.

GSD suffered from having a really unlikable protagonist. Sure you're angry, I get it, but it is so misplaced its not even in the same solar system. I liked how GSD was an inversion of SEED where the protagonist becomes the villain. They start chasing instead of being chased. They are in a position of power. They have supplies. Have different missions. A fully trained professional crew.

I do find it funny though when the Naturals find out what the destiny plan is they don't instantly realise they are going to get hosed over. Freedom Vs Impulse is a delight. The return to Strike was something to behold. Not a fan of Strike Freedom though, went too far into beam spam.

Thank you for the lack of Newtypes, that poo poo is stupid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mwu is absolutely a newtype, the gently caress

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Mwu is absolutely a newtype, the gently caress

I figured it more as an intuition thing. Like in sports or multiplayer games you intuitively read the others actions, getting information you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Or how people naturally pickup emotions. When playing a FPS sometimes you get a feeling and spin around 180 degrees nailing the guy in the head. From movement and play style you can identify who that player is. That is what is happening when they get that buzz.

So gently caress no, he isn't a loving Newtype.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dude even had visible newtype flashes

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

dude even had visible newtype flashes

SEED was the second Gundam I saw, so I didn't have the Tomino baggage to drag around.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

oohhboy posted:

I figured it more as an intuition thing. Like in sports or multiplayer games you intuitively read the others actions, getting information you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Or how people naturally pickup emotions. When playing a FPS sometimes you get a feeling and spin around 180 degrees nailing the guy in the head. From movement and play style you can identify who that player is. That is what is happening when they get that buzz.

that's what a newtype is

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

that's what a newtype is

We have that, so I am a Newtype too?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oohhboy posted:

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's not so much baggage as much as a lot of the series is a spiritual remake of the original

Well that and the director having a love of inserting mecha callbacks :v:

Shame that like most AU stuff it doesn't really do anything interesting with the concept tho

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's lame when the newtype or newtype equivalent stuff in AUs is only used as a powerup to pilot better

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

i'm pretty sure the director admitted outright that mwu and rau and some others were newtypes

because gundam seed is as beholden to gundam baggage as anything else in the franchise

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

oohhboy posted:

We have that, so I am a Newtype too?

A Newtype of idiot

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Erg posted:

A Newtype of idiot

:golfclap:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Newtype powers should only be used to generate love between two characters without any sort of set-up or growth so the woman can then be killed for drama.

It's this kind of thing that makes me like G Gundam, really.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We obviously have a different definition of "Newtype" so push off. Newtype for me is the voodoo BS they pull in Zeta, ZZ, Unicorn, CCA, last moments of MSG(It was such a small plot point I didn't care).

I didn't see the Tomino Gundams outside of Victory until late last year. Victory was so WTF I rolled with it. It put me off Gundam for quite a while from how absurd it was.

Erg posted:

A Newtype of idiot

I guess that makes you a Newtype of rear end in a top hat.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I have zero opinion on this topic, I just wanted to use the wordplay

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

We obviously have a different definition of "Newtype" so push off. Newtype for me is the voodoo BS they pull in Zeta, ZZ, Unicorn, CCA, last moments of MSG(It was such a small plot point I didn't care).

I didn't see the Tomino Gundams outside of Victory until late last year. Victory was so WTF I rolled with it. It put me off Gundam for quite a while from how absurd it was.

I guess that makes you a Newtype of rear end in a top hat.

So in November 2003 Fukuda gave an interview at Kyoto University, and someone asked:

quote:

Q: Are Mwu and Raww Newtypes?
A: Both are the last remaining Newtypes. They were the last Newtypes in the world so I wanted to write a story where non-Newtype people try to solve the problem.

So if you want to call them something else instead that's cool but realize you're going to have a tough time communicating with just about everyone else on this topic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Newtype powers should only be used to generate love between two characters without any sort of set-up or growth so the woman can then be killed for drama.

It's this kind of thing that makes me like G Gundam, really.

They shoulda gone farther in the direction of stuff like Quess

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Just because you've confused the definition of a term in the franchise with the melodramatic fluff it's associated with doesn't mean that people are wrong because they are talking about the term as defined. A number of characters in SEED are shown to have Newtype powers and the audience is given clear indication when these powers are going off, though the creators correctly assumed that the only people who catch the cues are the sort of nerds who would even care.

So inferring based on this, and previous comments, I can assume that what you meant to say before you doubled down on your argument, and people reacted accordingly, was:

oohhboy posted:

Thank you for the lack of Newtype melodrama, that poo poo is stupid.

Because it's true. Most of the melodrama in SEED comes free range without needing the space psychic additives.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

So if you want to call them something else instead that's cool but realize you're going to have a tough time communicating with just about everyone else on this topic.

Newtype wasn't a thing I knew when I watched it, nor did I chase whatever scrape of news was out there so knowing this is even now irrelevant as intuition(Something we all have) is a far better explanation of what's going on instead of Newtype because Gundam.

I fall very strongly into the more Real end of Gundam which would explain why I see them as I see them in SEED. 0080, 8th, Star Dust, Igloo(LOL NAZIS), MSG, Origin, Thunder Bolt, IBO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

It's lame when the newtype or newtype equivalent stuff in AUs is only used as a powerup to pilot better

Oddly Gundam SEED 's AU is the only one to actually really do something with it in X Astray where Prayer is a captain N Newtype in the most Tominosque way possible right down to direct references to the Gundam novels and where he defeats him opponent by empathizing and communicating with him, followed by literally hugging him into submission.

X Astray is the secret best Astray.

oohhboy posted:

Newtype wasn't a thing I knew when I watched it, nor did I chase whatever scrape of news was out there so knowing this is even now irrelevant as intuition(Something we all have) is a far better explanation of what's going on instead of Newtype because Gundam.

I fall very strongly into the more Real end of Gundam which would explain why I see them as I see them in SEED. 0080, 8th, Star Dust, Igloo(LOL NAZIS), MSG, Origin, Thunder Bolt, IBO.

Ah yes, Gundam Origin, the manga that has nothing to do with newtypes except the everything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Oddly Gundam SEED 's AU is the only one to actually really do something with it in X Astray where Prayer is a captain N Newtype in the most Tominosque way possible right down to direct references to the Gundam novels and where he defeats him opponent by empathizing and communicating with him, followed by literally hugging him into submission.

X Astray is the secret best Astray.

That sounds neat, I had no idea about that one.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes, Gundam Origin, the manga that has nothing to do with newtypes except the everything.

Haven't seen the Manga, only the Anime which so far is firmly in the Real part. I guess I am in for a fall.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the more newtype heavy shows also tend to fall into the "real" end of the spectrum more so than others

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

That sounds neat, I had no idea about that one.

Yeah, the premise of X Astray is that it is an intentional inversion of SEED. The protagonist is a Da Flaga clone whose goal is to give nuclear power to Earth not to cause destruction but to solve the horrifying crippling energy crisis. He encounters his rival who is a failed survivor of the Super Coordinator project that created Kira Yamato and whose goal is to prove himself superior and kill Kira, and the manga basically plays around with these inverted versions of the SEED hero/villains in a pretty fun way. It isn't an overly-long manga but it does what it needs to do well and actually takes several of the dropped threads from SEED and carries them onwards.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

the more newtype heavy shows also tend to fall into the "real" end of the spectrum more so than others

If you take out the Newtypes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

oohhboy posted:

If you take out the Newtypes.

The absence or presence of psychic powers have absolutely nothing to do with where a show falls on the real/super robot spectrum.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the premise of X Astray is that it is an intentional inversion of SEED. The protagonist is a Da Flaga clone whose goal is to give nuclear power to Earth not to cause destruction but to solve the horrifying crippling energy crisis. He encounters his rival who is a failed survivor of the Super Coordinator project that created Kira Yamato and whose goal is to prove himself superior and kill Kira, and the manga basically plays around with these inverted versions of the SEED hero/villains in a pretty fun way. It isn't an overly-long manga but it does what it needs to do well and actually takes several of the dropped threads from SEED and carries them onwards.

Cool. Hearing that it's short and accomplishes what it sets out to be definitely means I'll plan to check it out, since that makes it sound like it's miles ahead of most Gundam manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Cool. Hearing that it's short and accomplishes what it sets out to be definitely means I'll plan to check it out, since that makes it sound like it's miles ahead of most Gundam manga.

It got an official Tokyopop translation but like a lot of those it is kind of rear end. One of the ones that stood out to me most is when Prayer looks at Canard and sees him covered by black flames of hatred they translated it as "BLACK FRAME?!" The Tokyopop translation is also way way way out of print tho'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon-Lime posted:

The absence or presence of psychic powers have absolutely nothing to do with where a show falls on the real/super robot spectrum.

Did you see the ending to those shows? We are super robots now, everything Real about it gets rendered moot as they throw all the rules out the window.