Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They said one of these is going to be a Suicide Squad sequel I think .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

They said one of these is going to be a Suicide Squad sequel I think .

That one and Affleck's solo Batman would be my guess

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Better be a Batfleck movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think people are going to go insane for a Batfleck movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The response to Batfleck has been so overwhelmingly positive I'm sure they want to speed it along because drat.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wonder what kind of story could they tell with standalone Batman. Isn't he pretty much at the end of his career with this latest TDKR inspired story?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

I wonder what kind of story could they tell with standalone Batman. Isn't he pretty much at the end of his career with this latest TDKR inspired story?

A master criminal looking to pull one last job is a classic crime story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bedshaped posted:

No? It uses the visuals of TDKR but that's about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bedshaped posted:

He got a new lease on life at the end of BvS. It might also be a prequel, but I doubt it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

I assume it would be a prequel, like Wonder Woman will be. Probably tie in with story of Robin that was hinted at in BvS (which might also tie in with the Joker's story in Suicide Squad).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

He got a new lease on life at the end of BvS. It might also be a prequel, but I doubt it.

Batman Beyond. :getin:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

A setup movie for Batman Beyond.

computer parts posted:

I think it'd be neat if they did a story that involved a villain from his past returning so they could use flashbacks to show us "pre-MoS" Batman compared to older Batman and use the way Batman investigates the villain presently juxtaposed with the previous investigation to highlight how he's changed and/or corrected his crazy behavior.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"I don't know, this reads like a desperation move. Everyone is talking about how poorly BvS is doing and speculating how they are going to cancel everything, so they make this announcement to try and act as if they're okay with the response and everything is going to plan."

- probably Devin Faraci or someone tomorrow

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

When I see an article is written by Devin Faraci my brain immediately pictures Randy Marsh vomitting up poop from eating food with his butt.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

"I don't know, this reads like a desperation move. Everyone is talking about how poorly BvS is doing and speculating how they are going to cancel everything, so they make this announcement to try and act as if they're okay with the response and everything is going to plan."

io9 already had this article up within minutes of the announcement. Their article title on the announcement: "Warner Bros. Is in Such Denial Over Batman v Superman"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MacheteZombie posted:

I think it'd be neat if they did a story that involved a villain from his past returning so they could use flashbacks to show us "pre-MoS" Batman compared to older Batman and use the way Batman investigates the villain presently juxtaposed with the previous investigation to highlight how he's changed and/or corrected his crazy behavior.

Corrected his crazy behaviour into... Much crazier, dumber behaviour?

Since they implied in BvS that the heyday of Batman's career (with all the colourful, well known supervillains) is pretty much behind him, it would be nice if they made a movie about a slightly less famous (in movie circles) story, or had him straight up fighting gangsters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see a movie version of Penguin who's basically just a crime boss like he often is in the comics/video games. That way Batman can fight a somewhat eccentric villain but it would still be basically an organized crime story.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Since they implied in BvS that the heyday of Batman's career (with all the colourful, well known supervillains) is pretty much behind him, it would be nice if they made a movie about a slightly less famous (in movie circles) story, or had him straight up fighting gangsters.

I'd actually say it's the opposite. My impression is he's been dealing with gangster and masked-up humans like the Joker or Two Face (i.e., the Nolan movies). Suicide Squad suggests that the arrival of Superman is bringing around a time of active super-freaks. We could get Poison Ivy, Clayface, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

io9 already had this article up within minutes of the announcement. Their article title on the announcement: "Warner Bros. Is in Such Denial Over Batman v Superman"

Haha yeah I was going to go back and edit, I saw his tweet. No matter what they do it will either be "I told you so!" or "they're lying/in denial". There is no other narrative.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd actually say it's the opposite. My impression is he's been dealing with gangster and masked-up humans like the Joker or Two Face (i.e., the Nolan movies). Suicide Squad suggests that the arrival of Superman is bringing around a time of active super-freaks. We could get Poison Ivy, Clayface, etc.

I took the early parts of BvS as implying that prior to Supes, he had gone into semi-retirement. He kept tabs on the underworld, but after whatever happened to Robin, he stopped doing the nightly Batman thing.

Then Metropolis happened and starting Batmaning it up again, with branding this time to announce his return. Why else would the newspapers treat the branding stuff as like this new thing?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Corrected his crazy behaviour into... Much crazier, dumber behaviour?

I could have worded it better, but I meant corrected his craziness post-BvS since he's clearly inspired by Superman to be better.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I took the early parts of BvS as implying that prior to Supes, he had gone into semi-retirement. He kept tabs on the underworld, but after whatever happened to Robin, he stopped doing the nightly Batman thing.

Then Metropolis happened and starting Batmaning it up again, with branding this time to announce his return. Why else would the newspapers treat the branding stuff as like this new thing?

Oh, I agree with all this. I'm saying my impression is that the style of villain he'd been fighting during his active career was more like the Nolan trilogy than the wilder supernatural stuff, which Suicide Squad suggests is now going to become more of a thing.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
"Batman: Rise of Azrael"

The sounds of fanboy wailing would be delicious

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Clayface is the one remaining member of the gallery that has never been depicted in live action yet right? That's what I'd like to see them go with.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to see a movie version of Penguin who's basically just a crime boss like he often is in the comics/video games. That way Batman can fight a somewhat eccentric villain but it would still be basically an organized crime story.

I was really surprised that Penguin wasn't one of the villains that Nolan didn't end up using, he seemed like such a natural fit for Nolan for just that reason. I remember after TDK came out Nolan even said something about how Penguin couldn't fit into his universe, which I didn't really get.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

Clayface is the one remaining member of the gallery that has never been depicted in live action yet right? That's what I'd like to see them go with.

Spiderman 3 had sandman, basically the same guy named after a different corner of the soil triangle. Never seen it but I've heard it's bad though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

Spiderman 3 had sandman, basically the same guy named after a different corner of the soil triangle. Never seen it but I've heard it's bad though.

Sandman is not really the reason that film was bad. Or at least, he would be perfectly fine as a villain for Peter Parker to face off with.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Electromax posted:

Sandman was probably the stronger of the villains in Spiderman 3. And no, the two are not much alike.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

broken clock opsec posted:

I have no confidence that Clayface could be used in any movie without it falling into a CG-bore fest.

It's actually a no-win scenario.

If you do a BTAS Clayface character study, you'd get stupid fans crying foul about how a movie with hundreds of millions of dollars couldn't put together a "proper" use of his shape-shifting abilities.

Your other choice is to let some director go nuts with all the shape shifting and "blob" fighting and it just becomes a play-doh version of the Doomsday fight.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Chairman Capone posted:

It's their lovely writer who keeps using the phrase "DC's Cinematic Murderverse," he's trying to be the Rush Limbaugh of dumb comic book news.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of those two untitled films better be Blue and Gold. :colbert:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Pushing WW up a few more weeks could be because the June 2017 release schedule around that time for films that could draw away from the WW box office.

June 2: WW, Bad Boys 3 and Capt. Underpants.
June 9: Divergent Series (They're still making these films?!), A Mummy Picture, World War Z2,
June 16: Cars 3, Kingsman 2,
June 23: Transformers 5

Bad Boys 3 will probably be big enough rival that week, and WWZ2 will probably take a bite out during the second week. But that's about all I see in the form of new competition.

But if they'd kept the June 23 release date, they'd be facing probably some strong second week showings from Cars 3 and Kingsman 2, as well as release week Transformers 5 on the international market. Given how popular Zootopia continued to be several weeks in during the BvS release, they might want to have a window where they aren't competing with another Disney CG feature, again.

Even at June 2, though, they'll have a second week Pirates of the Caribbean film and first week Bad Boys 3 to deal with, not to mention how well GotG2 will still be doing from a month earlier. But it does space them out about a month in both directions from the major comic book superhero movies of GOTG2 in early May and the the rebooted Spider-Man comes out in early July.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 6, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pirates is going to tank. Bad Boys is going to flop like MIB3.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I was really surprised that Penguin wasn't one of the villains that Nolan didn't end up using, he seemed like such a natural fit for Nolan for just that reason. I remember after TDK came out Nolan even said something about how Penguin couldn't fit into his universe, which I didn't really get.

All the villains in Nolan's trilogy were big picture villains who challenged Batman's ethics and the purpose of his existence, The Penguin wouldn't work because he is just some crime boss guy. Falcone fulfilled a similar role without having to be built up as an A-List villain like The Penguin would have.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's their lovely writer who keeps using the phrase "DC's Cinematic Murderverse," he's trying to be the Rush Limbaugh of dumb comic book news.

Man why is it that pretty much the only time I can recall seeing the word "murder" used to refer to a superhero's use of lethal force is Superman snapping Zod's neck,

She asked rhetorically

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always viewed Penguin as the missing link between plain mobsters to the colorful villains. But yeah, he wouldn't have fit in the Nolanverse since the main villains were metaphors for ideologies.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Penguin is a terrible villain whose gimmick is that he's a cartoon version of Danny Devito.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always viewed Penguin as the missing link between plain mobsters to the colorful villains. But yeah, he wouldn't have fit in the Nolanverse since the main villains were metaphors for ideologies.

I sort of thought Black Mask could have worked, maybe with Fichtner in the role. The escalation that even the traditional mobs were abandoning their old ways and starting to adopting personas like that in response to Batman and the Joker turning crime in the city into theatrics in order to maintain respect and power.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Josh Lyman posted:

The Penguin is a terrible villain whose gimmick is that he's a cartoon version of Danny Devito.

Meanwhile, Danny Devito's Penguin is the best comic book villain ever put to screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Meanwhile, Danny Devito's Penguin is the best comic book villain ever put to screen.

He played that city like a harp from hell!

• Locked thread