Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Before the Apple Watch I hadn't run since high school basically. Now I can run for miles and completed the LA marathon in February.

...those aren't related at all but the watch let me keep track of my pace and time during training and the marathon at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
you show people you haven't seen in a while pictures of your apartment and niece on your watch?

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Good to see that people found a use for it :)
Now I wonder if anyone has my specific problem... Sundays. It's the one day of the week I lazy around. 9 pm Sunday without fail I go poo poo! I'm half way through my activity goals. Well... Better go and do something to keep the darn thing happy :/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

rear end Catchcum posted:

you show people you haven't seen in a while pictures of your apartment and niece on your watch?

He uses keynote on the ipad, controlling the individual time each photo is viewed from the watch remote. Finally, the vacation slide experience is back!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So for those of you with the stainless steel models, how are they holding up? Mine pretty much looks the same as it did the day I got it in the mail. If there's any dings or scratches they must be microscopic.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yup, sure.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jose Oquendo posted:

So for those of you with the stainless steel models, how are they holding up? Mine pretty much looks the same as it did the day I got it in the mail. If there's any dings or scratches they must be microscopic.

Same here with the Edition. I remember how people were talking down Apple's claims that they were doing custom metallurgy, but I think it's all true.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
What about the aluminum ones?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

After three or four months, mine looks like the day I got it.

There's nothing special about the alloys Apple is using on the aluminum or steel ones.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Does anyone else totally not use their watch on the weekends? I stopped wearing my watch for like two months because I felt the value was declining. But I started again last week, and I totally got annoyed when I was rushing out and forgot to put it on yesterday. However, on the weekend, I have no desire to put it on.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

ShoogaSlim posted:

Does anyone else totally not use their watch on the weekends? I stopped wearing my watch for like two months because I felt the value was declining. But I started again last week, and I totally got annoyed when I was rushing out and forgot to put it on yesterday. However, on the weekend, I have no desire to put it on.

I only use my watch on the weekend :v:

The reason is that when I'm at work I am sitting at my desk the whole time, and so I usually place my phone on my desk and glance over when it lights up to see if the notification is anything I care about. If I have my watch, it doesn't receive notifications and I don't always feel them on my wrist.

Alternatively, is there a way to get the phone to vibrate/light up as usual while also sending notifications to the watch? That's what I really want, but it doesn't seem to be possible :/

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Phthisis posted:

Alternatively, is there a way to get the phone to vibrate/light up as usual while also sending notifications to the watch? That's what I really want, but it doesn't seem to be possible :/

It's possible when the integration breaks. :v:

I've had to re-pair my watch twice now because eventually both devices decided they should display all notifications and ignore any action taken on the other device.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Anyone bought one of the knockoff link bracelets from Amazon? There are a few that look exactly like the real deal for $50-75.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can't speak of that particular one, but the knockoff Milanese band I bought for like $20 has worked perfectly and looks like the real thing. I've had it for a month now of daily use and have had no issues with discoloration or the magnet suddenly being poo poo.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can't speak of that particular one, but the knockoff Milanese band I bought for like $20 has worked perfectly and looks like the real thing. I've had it for a month now of daily use and have had no issues with discoloration or the magnet suddenly being poo poo.

A friend of mine got the silver milanese and he's happy as hell with it. Said the only downside is that the pegs that go into the Watch itself are shiny, and the rest is matte so it doesn't quite match right.

I ordered the space-grey/dark one and should have it tomorrow. Will post pics and thoughts once it arrives.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kenderama posted:

I ordered the space-grey/dark one and should have it tomorrow. Will post pics and thoughts once it arrives.

I think that's what I have.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think that's what I have.

Which one is this? Would you mind linking to it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Grimmeh posted:

Which one is this? Would you mind linking to it?

Should be this one. That and the JETech were the best rated so I think I randomly picked between the two.

JETech has a nice stainless steel link bracelet knockoff for $70 I've been looking at but it doesn't have nearly as many reviews as the Milanese Loops.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kenderama posted:

A friend of mine got the silver milanese and he's happy as hell with it. Said the only downside is that the pegs that go into the Watch itself are shiny, and the rest is matte so it doesn't quite match right.

I probably have this one. The shiny pegs aren't that noticeable, and for $17 and free shipping, I can't complain. It's pretty much indistinguishable from the Apple loop, shipped from the same area of China as most Apple products, and was in similar packaging. It did take 2 weeks to arrive, but it was free shipping and the original estimated delivery date was over a month, so I can't really complain about that either.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Should be this one. That and the JETech were the best rated so I think I randomly picked between the two.

JETech has a nice stainless steel link bracelet knockoff for $70 I've been looking at but it doesn't have nearly as many reviews as the Milanese Loops.

Yeah I ended up with the JETech one, but it looks really good. The finish matches the Space Grey well - though the packaging and lack of directions were both annoying. (Okay the directions-lack didn't annoy, but the packaging did.)

I have huge hands and it is almost too small to get over onto my wrist, but once it's on I have plenty of room and it's quite comfy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Much sun"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
CARROT weather :)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 5, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Does the Milanese loop pull out your arm hair

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It does not. It's actually pretty comfortable.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It does not. It's actually pretty comfortable.

Ok, I think I am gonna order one of those first. Thanks

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Every now and then I stretch while sitting at my desk, and it inevitably catches on the hair on the back of my head.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
After owning the Watch for about ~3 months now I find myself not using it anymore. I've never worn a watch before in my life, but working at a desk and typing all day with the watch on my wrist makes that arm get really sore/achy just from the extra pressure of the band constantly pushing against me. I've unscientifically tested it by not wearing the watch for a couple of days when my wrist was sore and the soreness magically goes away and comes back when I start wearing the watch again. I dunno, maybe I'm just wearing it wrong(tm). I haven't worn my watch for a few weeks now and I don't really miss it too much. It's really nice having the time on my wrist when I'm riding a bike around so that I can just glance at it. But the thing I miss the most is feeling my phone notifications with my phone on silent and sitting on my desk. I don't hear the vibration of the phone so I miss a lot of notifications, but with the watch I feel everything and get to them right away.

I guess what I'm saying is, it would be great if Apple would make a cheapo plastic necklace or whatever the gently caress I could tuck into my shirt, or a tiny button into my pants or whatever, that vibrates when I get notifications so that I know to go check my phone. No I can't just durr put the phone in my pocket because it's big and uncomfortable and I'd rather it just sit on my desk.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

makes that arm get really sore/achy just from the extra pressure of the band constantly pushing against me

Sure you don't have the band too tight? I mean, I get that the watch isn't for everyone, but if the band is properly adjusted you really shouldn't even notice it. I find the sport bands to be the most comfortable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Apple Watch is lighter than the traditional watch I was wearing before it, so I barely notice it's there most of the time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sure you don't have the band too tight? I mean, I get that the watch isn't for everyone, but if the band is properly adjusted you really shouldn't even notice it. I find the sport bands to be the most comfortable.

I'm sure. It only bothers me when my arm is rested against the table.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

If you only sit at a desk all day with your wrists resting on your computer/keyboard/desk, then wearing a watch is probably the least of your worries. Maybe it's because I wear bracelets but I'm used to a bit of pressure against my wrists when I'm at my computer anyway. The watch doesn't add too much bulk and I just get used to it, I suppose.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I could see the watch gettin annoying if you're typing for hours. Sometimes if I have to type up something quick I will take my watch off because it is annoying to wear it while typing on a keyboard (typing on an iPad doesn't bother me).

bort
Mar 13, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

So. Almost a year later. Has the Apple Watch actually improved anyone's life?
How about you guys? Any difference?
As above, but some others:
  • I don't text and drive anymore because I can dictate to it. It's still super nerdy to talk to it in public, but I do when I'm alone.
  • Two-factor authentication. It's great to have your "something you have" always with you.
  • Shazam is nicer.
  • I use Dark Sky all the time.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I got mine at launch and I use it all the time. Most frequently for checking the weather, then the time, and day of the week. I use Siri on there a lot as well, especially for setting timers and adding stuff to the Reminders grocery list. Being able to add something to the list as soon as I notice we're low, right then and there, has definitely improved things measurably. I also use the fitness features, it gets me filling the bar every day, and the calendar view in Health is quite pleasing when it's full of circles.

It's really in its element though when I'm in an unfamiliar city using Maps on foot. Being able to just walk at full speed, soaking in all the scenery, and just following the tap directions is amazing, you get to look and feel like a local.

Physically it's in flawless condition apart from some scuffing on the sensor pad from the charger, I assume.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I bought a Apple Watch from SA Mart, as I kept waffling on getting on for a few weeks and finally broke. How hard is it to make a custom image for the watch. Just edit a image down to the resolution (42mm) and sync it over? I like the idea of making watch images of my old watches I have so they can live on.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It would be pretty sick if the watch could tap me and ask if I'm still working out instead of me logging 20 extra minutes while I'm sitting on the subway going back home obviously not doing jack poo poo.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I love my Apple Watch and it definitely has met my expectations after the 1ish year now of having it. I don't do a lot of features with it and the things it does are subtle, but hey, its a watch, thats the point.
I can basically see a little snapshot of my day at a glance with my watch: Time, weather, upcoming meetings, timers. I use these allllll the time, the one or two times I've somehow made it out of the house without the watch on I was seriously annoyed the whole time.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Pulled the trigger last night on a moko black link band to change things up, its not quite as perfect as the apple space black link band but its also like 10% of the cost. If I could just get the clasp to attach to my current leather deployant strap I would be in heaven, my strap is a little too wide for the links to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
The Apple link bracelet is jank as gently caress, so the quality of that band is probably on par.

• Locked thread